Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

that's my whole point though, that the "mainstream left" needs to be infiltrated and taken over by the actual left

I want to believe. Hell, I even looked up what positions I could run for in my area (there are none yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

John Wick: Chapter 2 was pre' dope, and better than the first, I reckon.

I'm not really sure it supported its weighty pretensions.

Like, the first movie was a straightforward genre film about the self-destructive behaviour of a relapsing addict.

This one has John Wick, like, randomly denouncing Christianity and then journeying through a kaleidoscope literally called 'Reflections Of The Soul', which transforms him into The Omega Man or something.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hey Boogey, since we were talking about how the real left needs to take over:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bernie-sanders-loyalists-are-taking-over-the-democratic-party-one-county-office-at-a-time-1487780384

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

behind a paywall unfortunately.

I applaud those deciding to run for office. I myself am not cut out for politics, I'd probably end up punching someone in the face. Or at least telling them to go gently caress themselves in a public forum.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I myself am not cut out for politics, I'd probably end up punching someone in the face. Or at least telling them to go gently caress themselves in a public forum.

Sounds like you'd do the job I hope you would

stupid paywalls

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I'd be a terrible politician.

Mayor Glamorama would love to be here and address the town's impending bankruptcy, but he just got Shocker on bluray and is currently pouring through the commentaries, sorry everyone.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Glamorama26 posted:

I'd be a terrible politician.

Mayor Glamorama would love to be here and address the town's impending bankruptcy, but he just got Shocker on bluray and is currently pouring through the commentaries, sorry everyone.

My town hall meetings would be 15 minutes QnA, then 1.5-2 hours for a horror movie.

I'd even pick horror movies related to political issues.

"Mayor Machete how are you handling the Koch Bros chemical waste issues?"

*turns on CHUD*

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
You have my vote, friend

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Awesome, Sessions has reversed the phasing out of private prisons.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

This article was reposted here https://berniesanders.com/bernie-sanders-loyalists-taking-democratic-party-one-county-office-time/

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Slugworth posted:

Awesome, Sessions has reversed the phasing out of private prisons.

They need somewhere to detain all the people ICE is scooping up before they deport them

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm not really sure it supported its weighty pretensions.

Like, the first movie was a straightforward genre film about the self-destructive behaviour of a relapsing addict.

This one has John Wick, like, randomly denouncing Christianity and then journeying through a kaleidoscope literally called 'Reflections Of The Soul', which transforms him into The Omega Man or something.

I did think it was kind of sick (in both senses of the word) when all these homeless people and buskers turn out to be just another front for opulent crime syndicates. Highly reminiscent of the scene in The Matrix where Smith emerges from the homeless guy in the subway.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm lukewarm on Scrooge as a whole, but Finney is great in it, and Thank You Very Much is a brilliant bit of dark humour. I still find myself thinking about it whenever a truly horrible person dies.

I caught it maybe halfway through by the time I got home. The context of Thank You Very Much changing from sarcasm to genuine greatfulness between the two times I got song was wonderful.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Haven't done it in a while, but classic silent short of the day is another social tragedy from Thanhouser Company, 1912's The Cry of the Children, adapted from the Elizabeth Browning poem: https://vimeo.com/18500930

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

K. Waste posted:

I did think it was kind of sick (in both senses of the word) when all these homeless people and buskers turn out to be just another front for opulent crime syndicates. Highly reminiscent of the scene in The Matrix where Smith emerges from the homeless guy in the subway.

Duh. I mean they cast Larry Fish to be the cherry on top of that.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
American Psycho is an interesting watch in Post Trump America. And as I typed that Bateman name dropped Trump lmao.

I wanna see a spiritual sequel where Patrick Bateman is an Instagram celebrity.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

You guys I'm so glad Lasagna Cat is back

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

I saw a guy walking around in full Dude regalia around my neighborhood a couple of days ago, looked just like him. That was fun.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

It's really fuckin bizarre, though, where the Matrix sequels use pretty basic imagery of homeless people 'as' homeless people - abject, occupying liminal spaces, etc.

With JW2 you get a perverse, ridiculous mix of authentic Christianity (the Holy Spirit as community of believers) and gnostic conspiracy-theorism about Christ's secret teachings, Templar secret societies and whatever. The point is seemingly that these are 'actual' homeless people, but in a fantasy narrative where their jouissance is visualized as this high-priced weaponry.

(The earlier scene with the 'sommelier' sets up a thematic link between guns-as-wine and 'the blood of Christ'.)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's really fuckin bizarre, though, where the Matrix sequels use pretty basic imagery of homeless people 'as' homeless people - abject, occupying liminal spaces, etc.

With JW2 you get a perverse, ridiculous mix of authentic Christianity (the Holy Spirit as community of believers) and gnostic conspiracy-theorism about Christ's secret teachings, Templar secret societies and whatever. The point is seemingly that these are 'actual' homeless people, but in a fantasy narrative where their jouissance is visualized as this high-priced weaponry.

(The earlier scene with the 'sommelier' sets up a thematic link between guns-as-wine and 'the blood of Christ'.)

Fishburne's character and his court seems to be a rather overt echo of Clopin and the Truands of Notre-Dame de Paris. Even as someone who really dug the movie, it was mad disappointing seeing the Bowery reduced to, like, kind of a hipster set-piece? Like you say, the second chapter uses (and even remakes) the rudimentary premise of the first movie, and there's the explicit callback at the climax when Santino explicitly says, "I think you're addicted to revenge." But overall JW2 revolves more around themes of dogmatism, sanctuary and excommunication - so you wonder why Fishy is still functionally playing second bananas to Winston/Julius. Wick 'condemning himself' to this nebulous border-world between Roman Catholic indulgence and imagined gang-cult would have had a little more bite if the final encounter was with the Bowery King instead of Winston.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

M had a organisation of beggars being hired by the mob to spy on people.

This is also sort of a thing IRL. Begging, in Europe at least, is sometimes a part of organized crime. Some beggars are forced to beg and/or even trafficked into countries specifically to beg for gangs. I think there actually are a handful of examples from history of beggars getting organized forming guilds or unions. The hoboes are the most famous example although they were travleling workers who only begged when things were really bad.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 24, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

M had a organisation of beggars being hired by the mob to spy on people.

This is also sort of a thing IRL. Begging, in Europe at least, is sometimes a part of organized crime. Some beggars are forced to beg and/or even trafficked into countries specifically to beg for gangs. I think there actually are a handful of examples from history of beggars getting organized forming guilds or unions. The hoboes are the most famous example although they were travleling workers who only begged when things were really bad.

You still hear about this in places like Bangladesh and Indonesia, though, just as then, there's no telling how much of it is fanciful or made up.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
its all run by peachum

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Get Out is so loving dope you guysssss

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like I'll be officially single soon. Divorce papers in hand. Going to be mutual where neither of us owes anything to each other, so we're only having to be in court for finalizing. She just wants furniture, her movies, and stuff.

I'm a wreck, but I sort of find relief that it'll be over soon after finding out more stuff. Just kind of numb about it (and the vodka isn't helping).

Should I ask for Indy/Crystal Skull back so it's not separated from the Blu-Ray set or is it an acceptable loss?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
oh hey smg wrote an article

https://atbragan.wordpress.com/2017/02/17/slavoj-zizek-reviews-taco-bells-naked-chicken-chalupa/

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

Should I ask for Indy/Crystal Skull back so it's not separated from the Blu-Ray set or is it an acceptable loss?

Thread title right here

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like I'll be officially single soon. Divorce papers in hand. Going to be mutual where neither of us owes anything to each other, so we're only having to be in court for finalizing. She just wants furniture, her movies, and stuff.

I'm a wreck, but I sort of find relief that it'll be over soon after finding out more stuff. Just kind of numb about it (and the vodka isn't helping).

Fun fact there's a bill before the Oklahoma legislature to outlaw uncontested divorces

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Google's new api designed 2 recognize comment toxicity sucks!! maybe if your bot focused on the validity of the comments & didnt just check if people were using words that imply any sort of opinion itd be useful but as is its just a way 2 make the internet shittier & blander thru automation, the end goal of all tech boys
(this comment officially 48% TOXIC as confirmed by http://www.perspectiveapi.com/ )

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CelticPredator posted:

Oh it went wonderful my dude. I haven't done a real shoot like that since summer of 2015, so it was a little nerve wracking but it worked out alright!

I still have to shoot a crazy found footage sequence but that's down the road. I might make a little trailer or something for fun.

And if submit it there! I won't be able to watch it but that isn't the first time I've done a festival thing that I wasn't there for.

That poo poo was stressful as gently caress.

you should screen it in austin so linklater will show up

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

DC Murderverse posted:

Legit relieved over here.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

corn in the bible posted:

you should screen it in austin so linklater will show up

I can tell him how boring boyhood was!

and how amazing Bernie is.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
boyhoods great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUCsYpqIQqo

e: thinkin about patricia arquette yellin when he's leavin to college, masons friend awkwardly coming with him to his graduation party, the abusive father & the stepfamily kind of disappearing...its great

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 24, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Fun fact there's a bill before the Oklahoma legislature to outlaw uncontested divorces

What won't you crazy Americans illegalize?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Corruption

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Lurdiak posted:

The death penalty, capitalism, lobbyists, guns...

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I've been sick with a hacking cough for four days and at this point I am entirely willing to cut my throat open with a Leatherman, pull out the infection sites with the pliers, and staple it shut Kurgan style if I could be assured that I wouldn't be sick anymore

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm going to guess that it's religion motivated.

Better to be miserable for 50 years than end it before it gets worse after four.

Also, my trip to LA kind of sucked outside of getting business stuff done. Didn't have time for any sightseeing at all, but I at least got to watch a police chase and had beef tongue tacos at a hole in the wall place in south LA.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CelticPredator posted:

I can tell him how boring boyhood was!

and how amazing Bernie is.

if nothing else you should show it in austin so i can see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

Seriously, Get Out is great, y'all. It definitely plays with your expectations, but I loved the angle it took.

• Locked thread