Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Fremry posted:

I'm just getting "$150 and available from other sellers".

As usual, they went quick.

Fortunately, I managed to snag one this time.

Now to find the guide for loading all the other NES games onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Havent looked at this at all, is Fast RMX literally NotF-Zero?

It's got its own mechanics, mainly using the right colored booster (orange or blue) when you go over the right colored boost pad. Other than that, it's a fast game that scratches the F-Zero itch, as far as I'm concerned

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Spellman posted:

It's got its own mechanics, mainly using the right colored booster (orange or blue) when you go over the right colored boost pad. Other than that, it's a fast game that scratches the F-Zero itch, as far as I'm concerned

Is there a penalty for being blue on a orange booster? Beyond not boosting, does it slow you down?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

They won't build a software platform around expensive peripherals. Nothing about the Switch bothers me as much as the lack of analogue triggers. It's so dumb and breaks controller feature parity with past Nintendo systems and with present-day competitors in a way that hurts and discourages multiplats, especially racers.

Give me a proper directional pad over analog triggers any day. Analog triggers are nice for racing games when you want to any anything other than fastest, which is never unless you poopsock Gran Turismo or something. Mario Sunshine had a good thing going on though.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I feel like there was a fps that used the digital buttons at the bottom of the triggers as an alternate fire but I'm drawing a blank. It wasn't Geist was it?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DoctorWhat posted:

They won't build a software platform around expensive peripherals. Nothing about the Switch bothers me as much as the lack of analogue triggers. It's so dumb and breaks controller feature parity with past Nintendo systems and with present-day competitors in a way that hurts and discourages multiplats, especially racers.

Nintendo already did build a software platform around a peripheral when you needed to buy a classic controller (which was impossible to find at first) in order to play any virtual console game on the Wii that wasn't NES.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You could also use a GameCube controller if you had one and the Classic Controller was only 20 bux MSRP.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Looks like the Switch uses the full capacity of its 15V/2.6A charger or close to it, so it seems like sticking with the official Nintendo charger is a good idea as of now. You can definitely use some Anker etc third-party USB-C wall charger, but the charging will be significantly slower. This is kind of a problem because even huge rear end external battery chargers like the Jackery S Titan or a high-end Anker Powercore don't give the Switch enough power for true portable charging.

You can use any decent USB-C cable though, but the charger situation is murky as of this moment.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have one of these lying around. I hope my switch doesn't explode

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Is there a penalty for being blue on a orange booster? Beyond not boosting, does it slow you down?

Yea it slows you down, and crossing some gaps with the wrong color can cause issues. You gotta learn where the boosters are on the tracks and what color they are

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
i heard the switch is a turd c/d?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Looks like the Switch uses the full capacity of its 15V/2.6A charger or close to it, so it seems like sticking with the official Nintendo charger is a good idea as of now. You can definitely use some Anker etc third-party USB-C wall charger, but the charging will be significantly slower. This is kind of a problem because even huge rear end external battery chargers like the Jackery S Titan or a high-end Anker Powercore don't give the Switch enough power for true portable charging.

You can use any decent USB-C cable though, but the charger situation is murky as of this moment.

More info here: http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/2/23/14715566/nintendo-switch-best-battery-pack-charging-cables

Bit of a poo poo show!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

tap my mountain posted:

I feel like there was a fps that used the digital buttons at the bottom of the triggers as an alternate fire but I'm drawing a blank. It wasn't Geist was it?

I think Metal Gear Solid did that right? Soft push to aim and full pull to fire.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

USB-C is s poo poo show who would have guessed??

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I can use my mac book pro charger, but can i charge it with my mac book pro 🤔

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think I'm going to get Fast RMX on Switch. If what people say about the previous fast games is true, it might be cheaper than Redout. While Redout might be a bit more advanced, it's also available on steam and supports VR. I guess I'll hold out on both until we find out how online multi works.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
USB C and Power Delivery are complicated standards being introduced to a market that's all about cutting corners so they can sell you a Micro USB cable that costs 5 cents less than the competition.

It's going to be poo poo for a while.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

That article is poo poo though, the Nintendo charger very likely just selects voltage depending on if the unit is outputting to HDMI or not.

e: actually 7.5 watts is probably too low even for portable play, I'm probably wrong about some part of this

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 24, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nintendo brand official battery pack for $200 will solve this problem

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

PerrineClostermann posted:

USB C and Power Delivery are complicated standards being introduced to a market that's all about cutting corners so they can sell you a Micro USB cable that costs 5 cents less than the competition.

It's going to be poo poo for a while.

Yeah, a lot of people will get QC 3.0 chargers and whine online about how their 45W charger only charges at 12W or whatever.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I was wondering how to utilize all of that "extra 50% on a trade in if trading towards Switch games/accessories" from GameStop and now I know to get the official Nintendo charger.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
dudes if you want something that's guaranteed to work, get a charger or battery pack that can charge a Macbook over USB-C. There's gotta be a bunch of threads and reviews about that stuff

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Yeah, a lot of people will get QC 3.0 chargers and whine online about how their 45W charger only charges at 12W or whatever.

Supposedly QC 4.0 will be USB C/PD compliant, so that might change sooner rather than later.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

Nintendo brand official battery pack for $200 will solve this problem

drat AUD conversion hits you hard eh

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TheMadMilkman posted:

As usual, they went quick.

Fortunately, I managed to snag one this time.

Now to find the guide for loading all the other NES games onto it.
Don't need to stop at NES, people have gotten other emulators on there too. Last I saw there's SNES, Genesis, Neo Geo, and (running like poo poo) N64.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Infinitum posted:

I'm more interested in Redout than Fast RMX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7ekA41DadI
Redout looks cool and all but so far has no splitscreen, on PC the multiplayer is online only.

Whereas Fast RMX has 4-player splitscreen and thus is superior for anyone with IRL gaming buddies.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Out of the two, I've had a lot more fun with Fast Racing Neo. It's clean, fast as poo poo (but remains readable!) and the boost mechanic works very well; it's a simple change to an old formula that actually feels pretty natural.

RedOut looks snazzier, but I think the heavy post-processing is very distracting. Biggest reason I don't particularly enjoy the game is the lack of split-screen multiplayer. I think any racing game without couch multiplayer is a bit of a bummer. Man.

Fast Racing Neo is really only missing a robust career mode and vehicle customization. It's unfortunately very lean in those areas.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If that 5v 1.5a is for when you just plug in the switch in portable mode, a battery pack will probably be fine to charge it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

The Milkman posted:

I can use my mac book pro charger, but can i charge it with my mac book pro 🤔

Yes but it will be a trickle charge because your macbook can't blow as much battery juice as it can suck.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kashuno posted:

drat AUD conversion hits you hard eh

After conversion the Switch costs $360USD here in Aus

:suicide:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cicero posted:

Redout looks cool and all but so far has no splitscreen, on PC the multiplayer is online only.

Whereas Fast RMX has 4-player splitscreen and thus is superior for anyone with IRL gaming buddies.
It's also being handled by Nicalis...so they'll probably gently caress it up (or are they ok nowadays?). Meanwhile Shin'en has done magic on Nintendo hardware.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Jimmy Hats posted:

Hey case buddy, looks like there is an alternate version of the case thing if you are a huge dork!!!

https://www.amazon.ca/PDP-Nintendo-...nintendo+switch

E: Also a Mario one which is what I'mma get I think!!

https://www.amazon.ca/PDP-Nintendo-...nintendo+switch

Ooh, that Mario one is quite snazzy... I'll have to seriously consider that as well...

Also, why is it listed under Commodore Amiga?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if there's going to be a bunch of different random type screens used, like some people will get an IPS and some will get a TN.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Cojawfee posted:

If that 5v 1.5a is for when you just plug in the switch in portable mode, a battery pack will probably be fine to charge it.

Wow I didn't see it was just 1.5 amps, that's not a lot of juice. In that case it's possible the 5V supply is just for powering the USB ports on the dock.

This is confusing me

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Some switches get OLED screens.

Others get a reflective tft lcd

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I wonder if there's going to be a bunch of different random type screens used, like some people will get an IPS and some will get a TN.

It's possible but a lot less likely since 720p screens are a lot more standard then the screens on the 3ds

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Supposedly QC 4.0 will be USB C/PD compliant, so that might change sooner rather than later.

That should sort out a lot of confusion but I dunno, the odds that some cheapo all-U-can-charger will do all these voltages with no probalo aren't great

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd be surprised if they used TN. You can get a 720p IPS touchscreen in a box of cereal these days.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm just so confused by all these power bank options and usb c cable options and how if you get the wrong one your expensive shiny new toy has a substantial chance to literally burst into flames and I'm sad that that severely limits its portability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Some switches get OLED screens.

Others get a reflective tft lcd

Stop triggering me :catstare:

• Locked thread