Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That whole passage you mention says exactly what you're saying, explicitly :confused: She spends too much time talking about them acting like children but I'd bet dollars to donuts that's because that's what they're doing, not because it's what she chose to portray them as.

And after that passage she continues throughout the entire rest of the article to portray them as kids. Even when she does not outright call them that, their faults are not presented in the way you call out a person making a conscious and deliberate decision but in the way you describe a child naively doing something wrong.

e: My point is that their age should not be referenced at all; instead, their unacceptable deviance should be highlighted as the only thing relevant about them in exactly the way such is highlighted when reporting on other instances of crime or deviance. It is not necessary to bring up their age. "Fascism is bad; do not spout fascist rhetoric or support those who do" is not an unreasonable expectation of those adults aged 18-20, and it is needlessly presenting them as sympathetic to include their age as a qualifier. Who gives a poo poo if they're 18 or 58? They're fascists. They're bad. They are doing bad things.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/834914770637717504

Y'all ready for ww3? 😈😈

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lmao what

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

i'm not reading that.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/834899071982841856

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

proof of concept posted:

in the sense of never having been forced by the reality that they live in to face up to things like "consequences for their actions" the lost boys in that article are absolutely 100% kids and so are a lot of young adults in similar situations jesus christ it's not about what might happen to them (drafted into the army) it's about what life _has actually thrown at them_ how can you not understand that?

No platform for fascists, truth and reconciliation has failed whenever it has been attempted, bulldoze them into heaps and then light the heaps on fire. Christ, it's like you've been asleep for 35 days.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

They need to have some goddamned sense kicked into them is what they need.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Foxbusiness lol

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

shiksa posted:

is his mind just a loop of reefer madness and birth of a nation

from what i know, yes
i confirmed his sad little rear end anyway tho

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

milo's digimon essay posted:

Both Pokémon and Digimon can now claim a degree of retro chic, plus, in Pokémon’s case, a well-known killer theme tune. But although Pokémon has attracted a larger following and made more money, Digimon has emerged with hindsight as a clear connoisseur’s choice.

the well known killer theme tune of pokemon

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

oh man why didnt anyone think of saying theres gonna be jobs before

what a supergeneous

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/834916167177371648

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Internet Webguy posted:

usually if you can smell the stuff and know your own tastes it's easy enough to not get ripped off just don't ask for recommendations or they will always point to the most expensive poo poo

who could have possibly guessed this man would be anti-weed?

Why would a keebler elf possibly be against people having the munchies

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Addamere posted:

And after that passage she continues throughout the entire rest of the article to portray them as kids. Even when she does not outright call them that, their faults are not presented in the way you call out a person making a conscious and deliberate decision but in the way you describe a child naively doing something wrong.

she empathizes with them too much for my speed. she did the same poo poo in her previous article on milo and i really hated it. the tone was conciliatory, understanding, and without condemnation. it felt like she was describing someone she saw as a friend even as she said it wasn't, so it came across to me as very squishy.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh Lord how many soon to be legal speculation and reckless investment schemes are going on right now that will explode horribly just after everybody involved takes their loot and runs

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

shiksa posted:

oh man why didnt anyone think of saying theres gonna be jobs before

what a supergeneous

it's like that stupid movie from the 90s, "dave" starring kevin kline

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nichael posted:

He's a very intelligent guy but he's also prone to being set into a certain mode of belief, even when reality increasingly contradicts it. That's not necessarily a terrible thing though, and he's far from the only person with that flaw so (shrug emoticon)

I always felt that Jomentum learned the political game from very solid old sources that knew how to navigate and exploit the game based on decades of experience. What we are just now learning and may not truly understand for years is just how earth shattering this election was. The rules no longer apply. This election broke a lot of people. This truly is uncharted territory.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

what the gently caress is with trump and chigaco? did they deny him a building permit or something?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
both of those tweets don't read like the donald

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Israel seems like an extremely cool place and totally not a right wing shithole for insane people imo

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

2,363.81 up 0.99 (0.04%)

thank gently caress how would we live without the donald

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Lord of Pie posted:

Why would a keebler elf possibly be against people having the munchies

He's bitter over his exile from the tree house.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Some poo poo I grew back a few years ago in my home country :420:

nice

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Admiral Ray posted:

she empathizes with them too much for my speed. she did the same poo poo in her previous article on milo and i really hated it. the tone was conciliatory, understanding, and without condemnation. it felt like she was describing someone she saw as a friend even as she said it wasn't, so it came across to me as very squishy.

yeah basically this

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Admiral Ray posted:

what the gently caress is with trump and chigaco? did they deny him a building permit or something?

guess which black president is from chicago?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

i liek that no major news org is picking up on this

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Admiral Ray posted:

A relatively famous black person and his wife lived there

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

stop linking breitbart articles just copy paste whatever passage you want to show

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

john carpenter's escape from chicago

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

from what i know, yes
i confirmed his sad little rear end anyway tho

I assume you were you drunk?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unpopular opinion: I can understand why people like to depict pot plants when one of its products makes you feel good but goddamn actually looking at an adult plant as opposed to the iconic five-frond leaf gives me the creeps because it looks like it has spit or spiderwebs or spider-spit-webs all over it. Namaste.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
:siren: Five Billion Dead

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

2,363.81 up 0.99 (0.04%)

thank gently caress how would we live without the donald

fake news, it actually rose by a record-setting 306 electoral votes even though the media said not even 220 was possible

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Addamere posted:

Unpopular opinion: I can understand why people like to depict pot plants when one of its products makes you feel good but goddamn actually looking at an adult plant as opposed to the iconic five-frond leaf gives me the creeps because it looks like it has spit or spiderwebs or spider-spit-webs all over it. Namaste.

just think of them as flowers!

(because they are)

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Schnorkles posted:

both of those tweets don't read like the donald

Nowhere near enough exclamation points.

radical meme posted:

What we are just now learning and may not truly understand for years is just how earth shattering this election was. The rules no longer apply. This election broke a lot of people. This truly is uncharted territory.

Yep. We've entered into a transitional phase where both of the old parties are going to be extinct within 10 years. If civil society continues to decay, and all indications are that it will keep rotting, we are going to go into a full blown period of radicalism and revolution. poo poo is broken and the monsters have come out to play. Humans are caught in the same loop and eternally forget the lessons we've learned.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Shocking Discovery Of Military Things Near Things Everyone Wants

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

shovelbum posted:

No platform for fascists, truth and reconciliation has failed whenever it has been attempted, bulldoze them into heaps and then light the heaps on fire. Christ, it's like you've been asleep for 35 days.

Addamere posted:

In seriousness, this seems to me like a really dumb defense. Every major religion asserts that people of their age are capable of moral judgment, and every country in the world asserts that they are adults with adult legal and moral responsibilities. People their age are entirely capable and should be expected to be good and ideally productive citizens. And I'm not talking about the odd historical prodigy like John D. Rockefeller or World War 1's Captain Albert Ball, VC, DSO & Two Bars, MC, or modern day titans like Gates and Zuckerberg. At age twenty you have people in contemporary militaries being responsible for life-or-death decisions that affect themselves and others, millions of dollars of military hardware, and a battery of customs, courtesies, and traditions that they execute and perpetuate on a daily basis. You have people that age working public service and private enterprise jobs in all kinds of sectors, contributing to the national and world economies, paying their taxes, and somehow managing not to spout off fascist rhetoric. This is not an unreasonable expectation. The question here should not be what their lives have subjected them to but what minimum of capability and decorum they can and should be expected to demonstrate on a daily basis.

proof of concept posted:

my summary of the article is basically "pity for these idiots is maybe possible in a limited sort of way because of their circumstances and because of how pathetic they are, but sympathy for them is a giant mistake"

seriously, I wasn't defending those idiots in any way

proof of concept fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 24, 2017

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

guess which black president is from chicago?

oh my god it really is that.

:cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Muslim school teacher fired over "kill some Jews" tweet

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/arlington/2017/02/22/arlington-preschool-teacher-fired-kill-jews-tweet-anti-semitic-posts

• Locked thread