Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

battered and deep fried anything is certainly a thing because America.

No poo poo. At the pizza shop, we have a big array of crap that goes in the fryolator. The most popular is Buffalo Chicken Rangoons, but a close second is the Steak and Cheese Eggrolls.

They are both pretty amazing, but you can feel yourself getting fatter with every bite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

Buffalo Chicken Rangoons

God dammit America

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

God dammit America

Served up with a 2-oz souffle cup of chunky blue cheese dressing for dipping!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

God dammit America

Enh, most places that sell "crab" rangoons are just selling fried wontons with an oddly sweet cream cheese inside.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Midniter posted:

Enh, most places that sell "crab" rangoons are just selling fried wontons with an oddly sweet cream cheese inside.

Wasnt creamcheese crab rangoon an invention of Trader Vic's?

Also, Buffalo Rangoons sound amazing.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I'd definitely eat a buffalo rangoon. That sounds amazing.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

One of the few items hand-made at the store, so I can tell you:

-wonton wrappers
-chicken meat
-Franks Buffalo Sauce
-Ken's Chunky Blue Cheese dressing

Throw chicken into food processor, with a lot of Franks (enough to wet it all the way through), and some blue cheese dressing (just a dollop, to give a creamy mouthfeel). Pulse/Chop until mixed through but not minced, you want some texture to the meat.

Spoon into wrappers, wet edges, make triangles. Lay on sheet pan and dry out in freezer. Deep fry, and serve with more dressing for dipping.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

How long does tamarind concentrate stay good for? I got a pretty big jar of it the other day, and I don't imagine I'll use it very quickly (just a bit here and there for things like pad thai etc.). I'm guessing the best way to keep it usable indefinitely (like a year or more) is to freeze it in small cubes?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

FrictionlessEmu posted:

How long does tamarind concentrate stay good for? I got a pretty big jar of it the other day, and I don't imagine I'll use it very quickly (just a bit here and there for things like pad thai etc.). I'm guessing the best way to keep it usable indefinitely (like a year or more) is to freeze it in small cubes?

I've had a brick of tamarind pulp in my pantry, vacuum sealed, for about a year now as I slowly go through it. The flavor hasn't dulled at all, as far as I can tell.

Ryguy005
Sep 5, 2005
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this, I looked in LAN and there wasn't an appropriate thread. I'm wondering about restaurants in Las Vegas. We're looking to spend $50 dollars a head and we want to have a decently nice atmosphere. Could I get some help on where's a good place to look or any recommendations?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What should I make for an Oscars dinner party

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Steve Yun posted:

Something with cream cheese

And steak (?)

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Oscar Meyer wieners

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Ryguy005 posted:

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this, I looked in LAN and there wasn't an appropriate thread. I'm wondering about restaurants in Las Vegas. We're looking to spend $50 dollars a head and we want to have a decently nice atmosphere. Could I get some help on where's a good place to look or any recommendations?

Here's the thread you're after, friend.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
What is a good bulk powdered drink mix?

I've done country time lemonade, tang, kool-aid, etc.

Have never found a good ice tea except for the country time tea-lemonade split.

Just looking for something different. I drink alot of liquids but water is boring.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Just looking for something different. I drink alot of liquids but water is boring.

Mio liquid is good, but tiny liquid shots. True Lime stuff is good, but also more geared towards single servings and splenda stuff. Never seen it in bulk.

Cant go wrong with

except it's a ton of sugar. Havn't tried the sugar-free ones yet.

I drank so much 4C Iced Tea growing up that i'm surprised it didn't do lasting damage. Well, dad got kidney stones, but that could have been anything.

Try making sun tea, that's always yummy, and you control exactly what's going in it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

If plain water is boring add a half-or-full teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to your water per glass. Or, and it may sound weird, but try adding something savory/salty, like a little bouillon or plain salt to it. I mean, you've kinda already run the gamut of nasty sweet poo poo, and gatorade is just like drinking soda.

Take a small water bottle filled with pineapple juice and add a little of that to whatever container you drink water out of - you don't need a large container , buy a small 24-hour energy drink (one of those 4 or 6 ounce things) and fill it with juice - and use that. Or fill it with lemon juice, or even a strong tea. You could even buy a cinnamon or mint extract and add a drop or two to a bottle. That's always interesting and would last a pretty long time.

Those Emergen-C vitamin packets are ... different, not bad and deffo citrusy. Those Propel stick packets taste okay - I don't remember the sugar levels. I remember the berry one being all right.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 25, 2017

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Sparkling water with lemon juice, it got me over a serious Pepsi Max addiction

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Should I refrigerate lao gan ma chili crisp?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Barley water is nice, even if it doesn't sound like it. Most grocery stores with a well-stocked international aisle will have Robinson's brand in the British food section (I've only ever had the lemon flavor). It's a liquid concentrate, so mix 3 parts with 5 parts water, more or less according to taste; drinking it straight from the bottle would probably be like drinking soda syrup. There's sugar in it, but exactly how much per serving depends on how you dilute it. It mostly just tastes like smoother less-tart lemonade, so don't let the barley part make you think it tastes like runny oatmeal. You can also find tons of home recipes if you decide you like it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Power of Pecota posted:

Should I refrigerate lao gan ma chili crisp?

No.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I drink crystal light's tea with lemon (0 calories) all the time at work and have never tired of it. You can get them in the pitcher-sized packets which I assume qualifies as bulk. I think amazon might have really big bags of it but I get the ones from the store usually.

They have other flavors too but I always come back to tea with lemon.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Is refrigerating it bad for it? :ohdear:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Is refrigerating it bad for it? :ohdear:

No but it isn't necessary. I refrigerate the laoganmas that have meat in them but it's probably not needed there either, the meat's dried out pretty thoroughly.

I got a Benriner mandoline and just used it to slice potatoes, it's cool. Anyone found any unusual/creative things to do with one other than slicing/julienning vegetables?

Also on the drinks thing I used to use the crystal light raspberry powder a ton, it's great. I can't get it where I live now or I'd still be all in on that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Check out my channel "420Goku's sw8 mandoline tricks euphoria" please comment rate and subscrube

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Mio liquid is good, but tiny liquid shots. True Lime stuff is good, but also more geared towards single servings and splenda stuff. Never seen it in bulk.

Cant go wrong with

except it's a ton of sugar. Havn't tried the sugar-free ones yet.

I drank so much 4C Iced Tea growing up that i'm surprised it didn't do lasting damage. Well, dad got kidney stones, but that could have been anything.

Try making sun tea, that's always yummy, and you control exactly what's going in it.

I tried the true lime cherry aid ... and hated it, there is a horrible after taste for me.

I drink a ton of pepsi and energy drinks and then when I feel myself over dosing on those I drink a ton of water and milk.

Will probably stick to lemonade for the in between drinks...

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Grand Fromage posted:

I got a Benriner mandoline and just used it to slice potatoes, it's cool. Anyone found any unusual/creative things to do with one other than slicing/julienning vegetables?

Be proactive and give your blood sacrifice early. It will not relent and only ask for more the longer you wait.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

kittenmittons posted:

Be proactive and give your blood sacrifice early. It will not relent and only ask for more the longer you wait.

Yeah, this. Get it out of the way now. Then use the guard and optionally a kevlar glove.

And no, I haven't heard of any neat stuff that you can do with one beyond what you'd expect. You can maybe get a little creative with the ingredients like making little thin ginger discs or something, and it's good for tight-head brassicae like shredding radicchio into salad or cabbage for kraut or cole slaw or egg roll stuffing. If you figure out how to do meat with it, please post. I tried to shave thin slices of beef for shabu-shabu and it was a disaster; partially freezing didn't help either.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 26, 2017

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I've never cut myself on a mandoline.

I'm going to somehow sever my carotid arent I

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Can anyone recommend any good opportunities to replace cooking fats with beef dripping for an extra beefy flavour? Anything where I'm frying beef I presume, but I imagine there are some more.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Anjow posted:

Can anyone recommend any good opportunities to replace cooking fats with beef dripping for an extra beefy flavour? Anything where I'm frying beef I presume, but I imagine there are some more.

Gravy, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed onions, popovers.

Edit: Vegetable Soup.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

FishBulb posted:

I've never cut myself on a mandoline.

I'm going to somehow sever my carotid arent I

You might want to get your affairs in order, yes.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Oh, important question: Is there any good tool out there for making waffle fries? I love waffle fries and yet they're hard to find up here in Canada.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Canuck-Errant posted:

Oh, important question: Is there any good tool out there for making waffle fries? I love waffle fries and yet they're hard to find up here in Canada.

Use a mandoline and keep turning the potato 90 degrees.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Canuck-Errant posted:

Haha, this is a strangely acute question given the recent mandolin talk.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 26, 2017

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So the topic of olive oil came up in the D&D Trump thread (where else?) and Drifter suggested asking here instead.

Some posters said it was bad for cooking, another said it was actually carcinogenic when overheated. Personally I have no idea if it's actually any good for cooking, it was always used that way in my home but that doesn't mean much. I've definitely heard of studies that claim it's good for your health in several ways, even helping against cancer, and a short google gave me this article that straight up claims it's recommended for that sort of use.

Then again I'm Spanish so maybe this is just Big Olive getting in my head. Which is it?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Don't burn your cooking oil regardless of the type.

Olive oil has a higher smoke point than extra virgin olive oil.

Both are fine for cooking.

The olive oil you're buying in stores is probably fake anyway.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Elman posted:

So the topic of olive oil came up in the D&D Trump thread (where else?) and Drifter suggested asking here instead.

Some posters said it was bad for cooking, another said it was actually carcinogenic when overheated. Personally I have no idea if it's actually any good for cooking, it was always used that way in my home but that doesn't mean much. I've definitely heard of studies that claim it's good for your health in several ways, even helping against cancer, and a short google gave me this article that straight up claims it's recommended for that sort of use.

Then again I'm Spanish so maybe this is just Big Olive getting in my head. Which is it?

Ferret King has the right of it, but just to elucidate:
Olive oil has a strong flavor, and the more expensive types of it are more readily used as a garnish for flavor rather than actually cooking with it.
Normal non-expensive olive oil can be used to cook with, since it's in line pricewise with other oils. It's also healthy, but like all oils is very calorie dense, so use moderate amounts like in all things.

A lot of Olive Oil from italy and elsewhere is mixed together and you may get told it's this crazy good extra virgin poo poo but is actually some random mix of pressings, the same way high school you tried to sneakily dilute your parent's clear liquor with tapwater. Spanish and Californian olive oils tend to be more reliable with what you get, but who fuckin' knows?

When people say Olive Oil is bad for cooking bear in mind that it's smoke point still ranges from ~370 to ~410 Fahrenheit, which is totally fine for most cookery.

Butterfat also works really well. Usually you don't want to cook with butter at high temps because you'll burn the milk products, but if you clarify it (remove the milk) then that's a really nice oil to be using.

Lastly, just stay away from anything with trans fats, i.e., hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil.

I don't know too much about cancer, but olive oil isn't any more special than any other oil. If burning it correlates with an increase in chances of cancer then so would every other oil.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 26, 2017

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
^^ clarified butter/ghee is delicious but has a very strong flavor and not neutral in the slightest. Has specific applications in my opinion and is not as 'versatile' as a neutral. So just a heads-up for anyone thinking of going out and buying some.

Elman posted:

Good extra virgin olive oil is 'expensive' and so its wasted in cooking applications. It's really meant for salads and dipping sauces and the like. EDIT: If you're Spanish living in Spain you probably have access to good fresh extra virgin olive oil that's still pretty cheap compared to what's available in the USA. It's OK to cook with but has a pretty low smoke point and so is bad for high heat applications such as searing meats. It also isn't a neutral oil so it's imparting flavor into your dish which you may or may not want. There's refined olive oil which is cheaper and has a higher smoke point but that's not what most people are referring to when they say 'olive oil'.

Burning any oil is bad for a few reasons:

1. tastes bad
2. smokes up your house
3. probably carcinogenic like any burned stuff
4. waste of money

I use refined safflower oil for high heat applications. It's neutral and has a smoke point above 500.

For olive oil specific chat there is this thread too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806727

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Now I know ghee has a rather unique flavor profile, but does plain clarified butter have any strong flavor beyond the normal? I've not noticed it as such.