Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm so what's stopping them from electing another regressive that does the same thing but worse.

Clearly it's the person(Brownback) that failed regressivism and not regressivism that failed. 0 taxes isnt low enough got to go lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

lol what

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/834533343500857346

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So the veto failed in the Senate?

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Yep, by 3 votes. Prepare for more cuts because apparently that's the only thing Kansas knows how to do.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Up and down not across.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Anubis posted:

Yep, by 3 votes. Prepare for more cuts because apparently that's the only thing Kansas knows how to do.

Son of a bitch

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

kiimo posted:

Up and down not across.
But what if it's the throat instead of the wrist?

This whole thing is so insane. :psyduck:

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I would never force such awful governance on anyone against their will, but since the Kansas electorate volunteered themselves by electing and then re-electing this moron, I'm kinda glad to see the experiment continue. Maybe when Kansas is a failed state Republican voters will get it through their thick skulls that supply side is complete and utter bullshit they'll do something about it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Family Values posted:

I would never force such awful governance on anyone against their will, but since the Kansas electorate volunteered themselves by electing and then re-electing this moron, I'm kinda glad to see the experiment continue. Maybe when Kansas is a failed state Republican voters will get it through their thick skulls that supply side is complete and utter bullshit they'll do something about it.

They're too busy cheering for a wall to keep out the immigrants that took their jobs and suck up all their tax dollars to notice.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

After the wall is built and the last immigrant is deported, what will the next fake problem child be?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Potato Salad posted:

After the wall is built and the last immigrant is deported, what will the next fake problem child be?

The great historical fallback is Jews. As a Jew, I'm willing to take the heat if there's a stipend involved.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

Poor people, again

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Family Values posted:

The people who didn't elect Brownback are leaving Kansas. Same with Wisconsin, really; Democrat voters have been moving to Minnesota. Blue people won't be staying in red states.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The people who didn't elect Brownback are leaving Kansas. Same with Wisconsin, really; Democrat voters have been moving to Minnesota. Blue people won't be staying in red states.

That's a problem.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hillary won Minnesota by the skin of her teeth though.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Hillary won Minnesota by the skin of her teeth though.

GOP lite isn't very popular either

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

That's a problem.

OK you can come and live in this hell hole and I'll live somewhere that isn't cutting gaping holes in every single social service provided by local and state governments

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Intentional or not it's a huge problem with fantasy land Reagan no tax paradises. The white collar professionals you want to build an economy around take a look at the crumbling schools and infrastructure and gtfo because they can.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

That's a problem.

No way in Hell will I live in a red state. My state is purple and barely tolerable. The main reason I want to stay here is that I like the terrain and climate. Even now I'm still thinking "ugh, got to move me to a blue state."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

On the bright side Texas is a popular destination for people fleeing Oklahoma and Kansas. If the Texas GOP doesn't hurry up and destroy the state before too many educated people move here, they might lose control of it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
2016 saw a bunch of shitbacks cronies voted out, that's why the veto passed, not enough of the Senate changed. But still it's incredible that the House had 2/3rds and the Senate was 3 shy. Big change I the right direction.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Kansas is okay if you never go to the places that aren't Lawrence or KCK and are also white and talk like you're from JoCo

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm all those things and left anyway.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

On the bright side Texas is a popular destination for people fleeing Oklahoma and Kansas. If the Texas GOP doesn't hurry up and destroy the state before too many educated people move here, they might lose control of it.

Joe Staus and his merry band are the only thing holding back the tide of crazy and I seriously worry how long they can keep it up

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

2016 saw a bunch of shitbacks cronies voted out, that's why the veto passed, not enough of the Senate changed. But still it's incredible that the House had 2/3rds and the Senate was 3 shy. Big change I the right direction.

Except nothing actually changed and they're gonna jack up every consumption tax and raid the retirement fund to make it through another year, cool!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The other problem you encounter is that being a state legislator only pays about 10,000 a year and is in session for 3 months. Republicans go uncontested for a lot of these seats partially because no young democrat who isn't already independently wealthy can survive with a position like that (good luck getting a regular rear end job for the other 9 months of the year to pay your bills). Republicans don't have to worry as much about that because A) the sort of republican people who get into politics are almost always independently wealthy anyways, and B) They've got Koch brothers PAC money paying their bills behind the scenes.

One of our big victories at the local level last year was ousting Jan Pauls who was an incumbent republican and Brownback toadie. In the next house district over, the republican incumbent candidate only won by about 200 votes. During the campaign he had raised about $30,000, primarily through PACs, and his democratic challenger only raised $250 throughout the entire campaign.

This tells me that Republican support in some of these areas is extremely soft, all we have to do is break the apathy of otherwise democratic voters in the state because holy poo poo the democratic apathy is so loving real in the state.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

so this is interesting

A friend of mine who works with local Dems found this GOP mailer from last fall, I'm crossposting it in a few places

that hate crime murder that happened in the strip mall where I used to play starcraft and magic in the 90s and in the bar where we did our ten year reunion? Yeah don't let them blame it on Breitbart et al:

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Don't forget that plot to bomb the Somali community out in western Kansas last year.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Or the guy who shot up a jewish community center in literally the same city.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I was within a block of both of those events, when they happened, and I used to work near that Austin's. I think one of my roommates actually knows the guy that tried to stop the shooter at Austin's.

I actually felt safer growing up in Wyandotte then I do in Johnson county now.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I spent a good portion of 18 to 20 at 31st Century (both original location and the current area) and it's crazy to think something like this could happen in Olathe.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

SalTheBard posted:

I spent a good portion of 18 to 20 at 31st Century (both original location and the current area) and it's crazy to think something like this could happen in Olathe.

Is it? Multiple times I've been in the grocery store or similar and seen people with white power tattoos in plain sight. Several of my neighbors are pretty vocally anti-latino and I've had more than my share of run-ins with people who believe that Muslims are either not a real religion or are all either active or complacent in terrorist activities. Not trying to say that their in the majority or anything but it's certainly around here and not all that uncommon.

Maybe being a 30 something white guy people are just willing to be more up front with me, because they somehow think I'll be on their side. But honestly, I'm shocked it hasn't happened earlier and more often.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SalTheBard posted:

Anubis posted:

Is it? Multiple times I've been in the grocery store or similar and seen people with white power tattoos in plain sight. Several of my neighbors are pretty vocally anti-latino and I've had more than my share of run-ins with people who believe that Muslims are either not a real religion or are all either active or complacent in terrorist activities. Not trying to say that their in the majority or anything but it's certainly around here and not all that uncommon.

Maybe being a 30 something white guy people are just willing to be more up front with me, because they somehow think I'll be on their side. But honestly, I'm shocked it hasn't happened earlier and more often.

Yeah, apart from the easy access to guns which is a uniquely American thing, I can see this happening in any city anywhere in the world. There are horrible, violent, unstable racists the world over.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Yeah, apart from the easy access to guns which is a uniquely American thing, I can see this happening in any city anywhere in the world. There are horrible, violent, unstable racists the world over.

They got far more vocal and open in America after Trump won.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Some of us are old enough to remember what Olathe was like before it gentrified. It isn't like those batshit whiskey tangos moved away. Just thinking about the Old Settlers Parade in the late 80s sends a shiver down my spine.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.kansas.com/news/local/education/article135941473.html

quote:

The Kansas Supreme Court is expected to release its ruling Thursday on whether the state provides adequate funding to schools.

An e-mail from the Office of Judicial Administration said the court will issue its decision shortly after 11 a.m. today.

A decision in favor of Wichita and the other school districts suing for more money would make it more difficult for state lawmakers to fill a projected budget hole and would increase pressure for a new formula that ensures adequate funding.

Kansas faces a projected shortfall of more than $900 million in the next 18 months.

The case that led to the Supreme Court decision was filed by four school districts – Wichita, Hutchinson, Kansas City and Dodge City – but decisions reached apply to all school districts across the state.

The districts claimed the state had failed its constitutional duty to provide “suitable” funding for public education on two counts: There wasn’t enough money overall, and what there was was inequitably distributed among districts.

The case, called Gannon v. Kansas, has been going on since November of 2010.

A special three-judge school finance court that initially tried the case ruled against the state and for the school districts. The state appealed to the Supreme Court.

Last year, the Supreme Court upheld part of the districts’ case and agreed that school funding was unfairly divided among wealthy and poor districts.

That forced Gov. Sam Brownback to call a special session of the Legislature in June to address the court ruling, or face a court-ordered shutdown of all school systems on July 1.

The Legislature responded by shifting $38 million around the state budget to comply with the court order.

Lawmakers also turned aside an effort to pass a constitutional amendment that would have stripped the court of its authority over school finance and left all school funding decisions to the Legislature and governor.

That kept the schools open for another school year, while justices contemplated the second part of the “suitable” equation, whether the state was providing enough money overall.

That’s the “adequacy” portion of the litigation that will be decided Thursday.

School finance has been a highly controversial issue in the state for 20 years or more, repeatedly ping-ponging back and forth to the courts and influencing state politics.

After last year’s special session, groups aligned with the governor tried to oust four Supreme Court justices who had sided with the school districts.

That would have slowed the case and given the governor the chance to appoint a court majority that might see things his way.

The effort failed when voters in the November election opted to retain all the current justices who were targeted – Chief Justice Lawton Nuss and associate justices Marla J. Luckert, Carol Beier and Dan Biles.

Those opposed to the Supreme Court’s rulings took another blow when Democrats and moderate Republicans, running on pro-school platforms, defeated or replaced about two dozen Brownback-allied legislators.

Even without the Supreme Court ruling, lawmakers would have no choice but to deal with school funding in the current legislative session.

Brownback and his allies in the Legislature successfully repealed the state’s school finance formula in 2015, replacing it with two years of “block grants.” That essentially froze funding at 2014 levels while loosening some rules on how districts can spend their state aid.

The idea was the Legislature would have two years to develop a new finance formula.

Those two years are up this year, meaning that the Legislature has to come up with a new formula for funding schools this year or risk shutting down the education system for lack of spending authority.

Unless lawmakers and Brownback restore the former school funding formula, which the Supreme Court had already approved as constitutional, whatever plan emerges from the Legislature is likely to face another round of litigation.

Thus far, Brownback seems unlikely to bend much on school funding and remains staunchly opposed to reinstating the previous school-finance formula.

In his annual state of the state speech, Brownback said the state’s students “suffered” under the previous formula.

He called it “overly complicated” and claimed it “lacked accountability for results, handcuffed local school boards, and spent money unrelated to student achievement.”

Brownback proposed several initiatives, including affordable internet access for all students, expanded scholarships for college students who agree to stay and teach in Kansas and relaxing teacher certification standards to make it easier for college graduates in other fields to transition to the classroom.

He also proposed expanding an existing program that gives tax breaks to businesses and individuals to fund scholarships for students to attend private and religious schools.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article135967648.html

quote:

Update: Kansas Supreme Court rules school funding inadequate

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Is this the part of the play where the state threatens to defund the SC and gets told it's unconstitutional to do it? Or did that bluff already get called and I missed an act?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sundae posted:

Is this the part of the play where the state threatens to defund the SC and gets told it's unconstitutional to do it? Or did that bluff already get called and I missed an act?

I think that failed miserably. The court was like "lol nah you don't get to do that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Washington state is already a model for ignoring schools, despite supposedly being blue. They'll have no trouble in Kansas.

Our legislature has been ignoring the court order for five years and going so far, no jail time or anything. :shrug:

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 3, 2017

• Locked thread