Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Augus posted:

spongebob used to be really amazing but then it became very bad and that makes some people extremely angry

It's like the millennial generation's Simpsons in many ways, including this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

It's moments like this that makes me think. "Oh, Spongebob is still on the air. Neat"

Shaded Spriter posted:

Jim is getting the hype train started for Mondays video for the people who only follow him on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yhc0jWGCNs

Also on the surname thing - Jim mentioned in a podcast that he is changing his name fully to Sterling after legal things were over with. I am not sure if he still has citizenship/naturalisation stuff to still go through or if this lawsuit was the last thing holding it up.

I have never been more hype for an episode of The Jimquisition.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 23, 2017

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
The Mysterious Mr. Enter is literally autistic (he's talked about it in several videos) so it could explain his tendency to take things 100% literally and not understand things most people would have picked up from existing in society. That said, I always enjoy a good rant so his channel is fun for that purpose. Really I could listen to anyone berate Family Guy for hours and hours.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

somekindofguy posted:

Unforunately, the whole "wait and see" thing sometimes gets applied to cases of rape or sexual assault, and may occasionally be used by people who think those goddamn whores women make up accusations to ruin a man's life. That might not be Enter's stance, but heels might read it that way. Just look up a clip of Homer Badman and I guarantee you there will be some comment about how the Simpsons predicted SJWs or some crap.

Oh yeah, the comments on the video are loving awful, but what he said seems pretty much okay.

Mischalaniouse posted:

The Mysterious Mr. Enter is literally autistic (he's talked about it in several videos) so it could explain his tendency to take things 100% literally and not understand things most people would have picked up from existing in society.

I was gonna say something about this, but I really don't wanna blame his lack of awareness of social issues on autism.

Also, with the Spongebob thing: he does his reviews under the assumption that you've seen his other ones, and usually if he just drops an episode title he's done a video on it and talked about it at length already. I honestly kind of like how seriously he takes cartoons; finding meaning and value in stuff that wasn't really intended to have it is awesome. It's the same reason I stick around CineD; if I want analysis of highbrow stuff, I can find it in a billion places specifically for that, whereas people taking lowbrow stuff seriously is really rare.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
See my p*UFFF*roblem with mr enter is that he doesn't p*UFF*ractice microp*UFF*hone etiquette like not breathing directly into the mic.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

New Best of the Worst:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cNUg3XvVKk

Also, since this thread's been following developments with Poppy, the Fine Bros channel has a brief video where Poppy reacts to kids watching Poppy that is the only video where she's in normal lighting. It's suitably creepy in that the only thing she seems to recognize or understand is dialogue from her own videos. I wonder whether Titanic wrote it. It's definitely the biggest stretch to the Poppy actor's skills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqH3KaW25AA

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
this is the first time i saw poppy but she looks like a real doll. i am sure it just the make up to make her look creepy but it working.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

God-tier Rich Evan's laugh within the first ten minutes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Their Roger Corman voice is uncanny. He really is just an accountant and efficiency expert who learned how to make movies.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Poppy's actress is really good. Her ability to stay still and expressionless is super impressive.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

poppy is garbage entertainment for the terminally brain damaged

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mischalaniouse posted:

The Mysterious Mr. Enter is literally autistic (he's talked about it in several videos) so it could explain his tendency to take things 100% literally and not understand things most people would have picked up from existing in society. That said, I always enjoy a good rant so his channel is fun for that purpose. Really I could listen to anyone berate Family Guy for hours and hours.

He is my favourite critic.

"Hey, this reminds me of real-life situations where people can't get get their hands or other extremities out of nooks or machinery. They spend days calling for help that never comes, eventually forced to cut off that extremity in pure desperation. And these hacks (flashes names of writers) think such a scenario can be used for comedy."

And it gets better from there

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 23, 2017

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"Hey, this reminds me of real-life situations where people can't get get their hands or other extremities out of nooks or machinery. They spend days calling for help that never comes, eventually forced to cut off that extremity in pure desperation. And these hacks (flashes names of writers) think such a scenario can be used for comedy."

"You three may want to thank your lucky stars every second of every day that whatever the gently caress you sold your souls to was stupid enough to give you your jobs because if you lose your jobs writing this trite poo poo you'll most likely never work again. Not just in television, but in any job. I don't know anyone who would lower themselves so substantially to even reluctantly want your demented, poisoned minds around. Just leave us all alone and go back to the loving sludge you came from."

Because Patrick's tears melted glue but the characters live in the ocean.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I enjoyed him not getting the joke that the sponge needs a wringer to dry because, ya know, he's a sponge.

"Maybe use a towel"

Are his fans in on the joke?

"if you have been in spongebobs situation you will not ever be able to watch this episode without being sick to the stomach"

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I saw that video out of context, not really knowing anything about the reviewer and was very confused.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

What the gently caress is Poppy?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

WampaLord posted:

financially racist posted:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"Anyone who has had their butt cut off and mounted on their boss's wall can tell you how horrifying an experience it is. And these hacks think such a scenario can be used for comedy." - Mr. Enter, probably.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

"An important rule of slapstick is to never ever harm the eyes, fingernails, or toenails on camera" -Buster Keaton probably?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jimbot posted:

God-tier Rich Evan's laugh within the first ten minutes.
I appreciated how in the last 10 minutes they stopped caring about the boring bad films and just made jokes about David Carradine's embarrassing death.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Jack's George Mcfly laugh was pretty great too.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzRoHPyw52U

New episode of Anime Abandon about Bubblegum Crash

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DStecks posted:

"An important rule of slapstick is to never ever harm the eyes, fingernails, or toenails on camera" -Buster Keaton probably?

Now let me instantly transition into explaining how a switchblade stabbing a man in the eye is actually ok and hilarious.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kay Kessler posted:

"Anyone who has had their butt cut off and mounted on their boss's wall can tell you how horrifying an experience it is. And these hacks think such a scenario can be used for comedy." - Mr. Enter, probably.

Someone should play Space Station 13

Also christ, how the hell can someone who started with mic quality like that manage to keep their audience to make a job out of their show?

Douku
Jun 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMmkEi6YPno

Slopes Game Room looks into the history of Space Channel 5.

I think SGR has been mentioned before in this thread. His videos are very informative and well researched.

Thinking about the Sega Dreamcast makes me feel nostalgic.

Also, there has been a new Podquisition today where Jim Sterling and co talk about English cuisine and the woes of being self-employed. They also talk about their impressions of Horizons:Zero Dawn and the new Berserk game. Jim briefly touches on his lawsuit but offers nothing new. I guess we'll have to wait for the next Jimquisition for him to talk more about it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Leal posted:

Someone should play Space Station 13

Also christ, how the hell can someone who started with mic quality like that manage to keep their audience to make a job out of their show?

his show is neat in spite of his weird sperginess (hell, honestly because of it) and not-great mic quality

like, honestly? i'll take a reviewer who's weird, spergy and totally sincere and passionate about the poo poo he talks about over some Nostalgia Critic idiot fucker who just screams into a mic to entertain brain-damaged children

e: also I kind of agree with the eyes/nails thing? like I don't think it's necessarily impossible to make trauma to those things funny, but you have to have an extremely light touch with them (think like, Three Stooges eye-poking vs. a dude getting his eye gouged out with a spoon) or your audience is just gonna be cringing like gently caress instead of laughing, even in an Evil Dead-esque "splatstick" context.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 24, 2017

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. Enter’s nitpicking becomes ironic if you’ve seen this other video of his where he talks about the book he wrote. Said book has a very strange premise that makes no sense, but he spends the whole video being defensive about this fact, basically saying he’s not going to explain anything because it’s a fictional world and fictional worlds don’t have to be make sense.

Overall I’d say he’s very hit-or-miss as a critic. He gets a lot of stuff right but he sometimes becomes fixated on certain things and that harms his ability to judge them fairly. I mean, it was a disappointment that they brought back Teen Titans as a parody of itself, but there’s no shortage of dramatic DC-based shows on TV these days, so it’s not the huge disaster he treats it as. Having one review to explain his thoughts on it would have been enough, but he just keeps going on and on about it even in reviews of completely unrelated shows.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

his show is neat in spite of his weird sperginess (hell, honestly because of it) and not-great mic quality

like, honestly? i'll take a reviewer who's weird, spergy and [i]totally sincere and passionate

Hahaha, I know people here are tolerant of unprofessional criticism, but you're defending a guy who records himself having fits of anger over cartoons for having 'passion'.

You know that James Rolfe is performing when he gets angry over bad video games, right? It's a joke that he gets mad. You're not supposed to take internet critics seriously for ranting. You can only treat it as what it is: a joke, intentional or otherwise.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

some Nostalgia Critic idiot fucker who just screams into a mic to entertain brain-damaged children

lol

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 24, 2017

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

WampaLord posted:

Poppy is an ongoing spoof of an Illuminati-created pop star. She's Pop-y.

She has a really-real Album which I like. Caveat: My taste in music is awful.

Night Mind, weirdy-voiced slenderman fan and professional overthinker did a video about her that goes WAAAY off track at some point, but does a good job at setting the background and exploring the people behind the whole thing.

Thread poster financially racist is not a fan.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
why does Night Mind always go to the craziest conclusions? Is his channel a stealth joke about the random conclusions that people come into when they're really tired at night

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Tired Moritz posted:

why does Night Mind always go to the craziest conclusions? Is his channel a stealth joke about the random conclusions that people come into when they're really tired at night

Probably because theory crafting is fun? Like, NM shows a ton of genuine enthusiasm for the stuff he reviews, and the stuff he reviews intentionally leave themselves open for that kind of wild speculation, it's a big part of the appeal for the intended audience.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
Can we talk about The Dom ? I don't think he's come up here yet. He does Lost In Adaptation, where he compares books to their movie and TV adaptations. I quite like the show. Highlights for me are his look at Percy Jackson, The Hunger Games and Harry Potter. He does do skits, something I know not everybody is a fan of, but they're well done with surprisingly good production values and Terence the Ravenclaw douchebag is one of the best side characters to bounce off off I've seen in this kind of show.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

financially racist posted:

Hell yeah, the frickin' Nosty Critic should blast her to bits with his iconic gun.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

Some people just get really caught up in things, and NM is one of them. When he's good, it manifests as thoroughness; when he's bad, it's basically a gangstalker video.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The biggest issue with Nick is that he doesn't really weigh the good/bad points of things, and has only really said anything that isn't overwhelmingly positive, or at the worst neutral, about anything like twice ever. He has great videos informing folks about neat ARG stuff or internet video things but he's not exactly critical of them. He just really likes internet horror stuff and that's great, but he doesn't really point out some of the insanely stilted acting or just plain terrible writing in the stuff he gushes about. It's really kind of a big ol' blindspot of his and while it is nice to know that he doesn't just unconditionally love everything, some of the things he does like and spends so long talking up have major problems that he either casually glosses over or doesn't bring up at all.

e; Really, my favourite example of that is when he did a video about the West Records or whatever being some kind of Best Ever Slenderman thing and the example clips he used for why it's better than everything else was... the same generic, cliche writing that just about every other one ever has used. :v:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 24, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think Poppy is a pretty neat bit of performance art. The actress doing it is genuinely talented and sometimes she makes some neat videos. Nick got a bit lost in the weeds with her video though, like he tends to do.

Like didn't he spend a good five minutes on her name because it's POP-py and she's a POP star? I always just figured it was, ya know, Poppy like the flower, the really pretty flower that's used to make opium and all.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Has anyone watched his recent RE7 video? How is it?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm looking forward to the release of Horizon Zero Dawn, not only because it looks like a really good game, but also because it's going to give folk like Hbomberguy prime material since the game is pissing off MRAs and like-minded people because it has all the things they fear: matriarchy, a female MC who isn't in sexy outfits, POC in positions of power, ect. It's not even being played up by the developers either. Reviewers are the people pointing this stuff out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think Poppy is a pretty neat bit of performance art. The actress doing it is genuinely talented and sometimes she makes some neat videos. Nick got a bit lost in the weeds with her video though, like he tends to do.

Like didn't he spend a good five minutes on her name because it's POP-py and she's a POP star? I always just figured it was, ya know, Poppy like the flower, the really pretty flower that's used to make opium and all.

He gets fixated on the significance of certain words that sound like other words a lot--it almost reminds me of schizotypal thinking just a little in its narrow focus on similarities between how words look or sound. Like in the This House has People in It video he ends with a long discussion of lynks disease that equates "lynks" with "links" as the key to everything in the video, that people just see whatever "links" between events they are primed or predisposed to see. Like I get that each character has certain obsessions that play out in the videos, but there's not some underlying unified message hiding in plain sight coded into the name of the disease in the videos.

He seems to have a hard time with ambiguity or open works and just really wants a gotcha thing in there to bring home a complete and coherent reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I buy his POP-py argument. It's kinda an obvious joke.

Also I watched his Alan Tutorial/Unedited Bear videos and they're pretty good but now I'm watching his video on This House has People in it and he made me watch an advertisement for hedge apples and is going on a tangent about cancer and oh god this man needs an editor.

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 24, 2017

• Locked thread