Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Ok, I get why Grant Napear is toeing the company line
https://twitter.com/sactownroyalty/status/834510938757857280

I absolutely can't stand the midday show on 1140, but the other two hosts did the right thing standing up of Barling. gently caress Grant Napear forever, he's an obnoxious, grating tool of the establishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hahahahahaha
https://twitter.com/SeanCunningham/status/834587979020541952

Hahahahahaha

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
gently caress OFF VIVEK

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I think this obsession goes beyond basketball

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

PrinceRandom posted:

I think this obsession goes beyond basketball

Obsession 3.0

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Rick posted:

I don't even enjoy the team I cheer for if I'm honest (Arizona). I do like watching Kansas though much to my surprise.

Thanks, buddy. :)

In all perfect honesty, all college sports are mired by incredibly bad reffing and terrible lack of parity, but the pageantry can't be beat and you kinda suffer all the obnoxious negative elements just to enjoy that bit of drama. Having said that, it's amazing how good the NBA has gotten, though NCAA has come a long way from what I saw in the early 2000s, which was a bunch of dogshit time-wasting.

This is pertinent because Vivek has college basketball poisoning, only way to explain this Buddy fixation now.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Crazy Ted posted:

His Tweets come across as if Donald Trump was a diehard Kings fan.

https://twitter.com/HeuristicLineup/status/834551932907761665

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

this is incredible

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Now that is a man who loves him some Buddy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
At this point I am surprised Cousins didn't get bundled with a pick.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I mean yeah Buddy had a pretty fun senior season in college and has looked like a decent 3 point shooter at times, but how the gently caress can you be that obsessed with a middling guard prospect?

The first time those two teams met Buddy had 22 minutes, went 6-16 with two rebounds and an assist, and missed 6 of his 7 3's. The second time they met Buddy played 14 minutes, went 2-5, and got two assists for a whopping 5 points. I don't loving get it. I don't understand Vivek. I don't understand how people can be so rich and have such a lovely understanding of risk assessment.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I can only assume he thinks Buddy has potential that will come out with the right coaching.

Why he thinks his organization is the ones capable of that I have no idea.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

BUDDY in theory has a similar profile to Steph Curry in terms of his final college season and Ranadive is obsessed with the Warriors

idk man he's a crazy person trying to think outside of the box

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Doltos posted:

I mean yeah Buddy had a pretty fun senior season in college and has looked like a decent 3 point shooter at times, but how the gently caress can you be that obsessed with a middling guard prospect?

hmmmm

https://vine.co/v/eLbZuPmXIl9

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

vivek is the lamest wad, imagine taking a picture of him and being forced to make the hang loose sign with him

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I just can't imagine anyone being excited about Hield in general. Not just "Trade an MVP caliber player" excited, but "Trade an NBA league Average player"

He is bad and old.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

It would be a fitting end to this debacle if they have to forfeit a draft pick due to tampering.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I feel a little bad for Buddy. There's a non-zero chance that, when he fails to meet these completely absurd expectations, he's going to wind up with a spurned lover for a boss.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Anals of History posted:

I feel a little bad for Buddy. There's a non-zero chance that, when he fails to meet these completely absurd expectations, he's going to wind up with a spurned lover for a boss.

A rare not terrible reddit post along the same lines- https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/5vo1tc/id_like_to_take_a_moment_to_acknowledge_that/

quote:

Buddy Hield's life looked like it was going pretty well.

He was living what I presume to be his dream getting to the NBA. He's got it in him to be a good spot-up shooter, maybe if he really works his rear end off he could be a 3-and-D guy instead of just a 3-and-nothing guy, but he probably knows he's not the next Steph Curry.

Then, out of goddamn nowhere, some dipshit decides he is the next Steph Curry, and suddenly he's the guy who got traded for DeMarcus loving Cousins.

Suddenly, he's a joke. Suddenly not being as good as Steph Curry is the bust marker for a 23-year-old rookie. Suddenly he's expected to be a franchise player in front of home crowds that might well resent him because he cost them DeMarcus Cousins, and Sacramento loved that guy.

And it's not even just on the court. He is hosed from a PR perspective. If he doesn't get involved in the community, then everyone will be judging him for not having the generosity of heart of DeMarcus Cousins.

If he does get involved in the community, everyone will be judging him for thinking he can replace DeMarcus Cousins.

There is pretty much no way for that poor kid not to fail unless he can suddenly pull generational talent out of his rear end.

He's not only going to be getting comparisons to one of the greatest shooters in the history of the NBA who's also a drat good point guard, he's going to be getting those comparisons while Steph Curry is an active player pretty much in his prime, and Hield is, I can't stress this enough, a 23-year-old rookie.

Goodness knows I'm not going to pass up a good Buddy "Steph Curry" Hield-themed joke if the opportunity presents itself, but I think it's probably worth acknowledging that Ranaduhve screwed him too on this one.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Oh I feel super bad for Buddy. If you're a rational person and are reasonably high on him, what do you think his actual potential is? I'd assume it's JJ Redick, who by all accounts has had a great career. Having your owner immediately compare you to a player that you have no reasonable chance to become is a horrible thing to happen to a young guy. He's toast.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Most of this forum didn't think Curry would be poo poo either. The majority thought he was going to bust

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Buddy seems to be self-driven and doesn't worry overmuch about what others think of him. I think he will be fine. It will be a huge struggle for him, though, but I think he has the inner strength to get through it ok.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

BIZORT posted:

Most of this forum didn't think Curry would be poo poo either. The majority thought he was going to bust

Steph Curry, in his rookie year (age 21) was literally better at every single facet of basketball compared to 23 year old Buddy Heild.

Kibner posted:

Buddy seems to be self-driven and doesn't worry overmuch about what others think of him. I think he will be fine. It will be a huge struggle for him, though, but I think he has the inner strength to get through it ok.

:unsmith: check out buddy when buddy get up

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
So it looks like the Pels/Rockets game will not be on NBAtv, that's a bummer

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BIZORT posted:

I didn't :smith:

Johnny loving Flynn are you kidding me goddammit

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Oh I feel super bad for Buddy. If you're a rational person and are reasonably high on him, what do you think his actual potential is? I'd assume it's JJ Redick, who by all accounts has had a great career. Having your owner immediately compare you to a player that you have no reasonable chance to become is a horrible thing to happen to a young guy. He's toast.

Upside is a better Nick Young. JJ Reddick is probably a good comparison, I consider JJ to be a great shooter and pretty good at a whole bunch of other stuff so I guess it depends on how he fleshes out his game.

BIZORT posted:

The draft profile of Steph Curry and Jimmer Freddette are way more similar than different. Projecting players is really hard.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Lockback posted:

The draft profile of Steph Curry and Jimmer Freddette are way more similar than different. Projecting players is really hard.

I wholeheartedly agree! Which is why we should probably give Hield more than half of a season before comparing him to chewed up gum

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BIZORT posted:

I wholeheartedly agree! Which is why we should probably give Hield more than half of a season before comparing him to chewed up gum

on the other hand jokes, and this thread will eventually be archived and then dug back up to be mocked and laughed at when the Hield led Kings team beats the Giannis Bucks in the 2021 NBA Finals.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

BIZORT posted:

Are you sure? People praised the Warriors when they backed out of an agreed trade for Amare with the Suns for the pick and Amare was still good back then.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/aki_hunny/status/834755250804264961

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Paul Zuvella posted:

Steph Curry, in his rookie year (age 21) was literally better at every single facet of basketball compared to 23 year old Buddy Heild.

:unsmith: check out buddy when buddy get up

He ain't even get up that far

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

BUDDY in theory has a similar profile to Steph Curry in terms of his final college season and Ranadive is obsessed with the Warriors

idk man he's a crazy person trying to think outside of the box

Curry was awesome right away in college, Hield was trash as a freshman and then pretty good but kinda inefficient as a sophomore and junior before exploding his last season when he was one of the oldest guys on the court every game

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

Are you sure? People praised the Warriors when they backed out of an agreed trade for Amare with the Suns for the pick and Amare was still good back then.

I thought he'd be Quincy Doubt v.II and be a bad pairing for Kevin Martin but I never know what I'm talking about.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

Curry was awesome right away in college, Hield was trash as a freshman and then pretty good but kinda inefficient as a sophomore and junior before exploding his last season when he was one of the oldest guys on the court every game

Age ain't nothing but a number

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Buddy is a grower not a shower ok

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Things happen a little slower in the Midwest.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

what if bert and ernie played basketball

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Silly Burrito posted:

what if bert and ernie played basketball

:lol:

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Rick posted:

Pretty drat sure he was the pick to bust because no one thought he'd be able to get open or play a specific position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
boogie already sabotaging his new team, vivek lookin more and more smarter by the minute

• Locked thread