Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I mean tbf yes writing with a liquid ink pen can be an exercise in frustration as a lefty due to smearing the ink as you write unless you have that super formal hand position they try to make you do

As a leftie, I buy pens with super narrow tips just so I can see what the hell I'm doing. I still end up with ink all over my hand when I'm in a hurry.
poo poo like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Lefties dragging their hands across fresh ink or graphite always kind of made me wonder how everyone else deals with it in languages that use right to left scripts like Arabic or Hebrew. Especially in countries where (presumably) you can't cheat and learn to use the left hand, because it's the dirty one.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Another thing that's way more annoying than you'd think: having to rest your hand on the spiral of a notebook the whole time you're writing

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Another thing that's way more annoying than you'd think: having to rest your hand on the spiral of a notebook the whole time you're writing

How is it on the spiral the whole time? Do you turn your notebook upside down every other page or what?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Rotate notebook 180 degrees. You're welcome

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Rotate notebook 180 degrees. You're welcome

Then your notes are in the book backward which is aggravating in its own way

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
place the spirals vertically and write across the paper

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Seen on facebook, a new twist on an old classic.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

chitoryu12 posted:

I didn't get hit, but my kindergarten teacher in the 90s forced me to become right-handed. It actually stuck to the point where I'm effectively right-handed now with crappy handwriting and no way to go back.

Yeah, I'm positive my mom did this with me at an early age, resulting in the exact same outcome. She denies it, but then my now ex-wife and I caught her trying to do it with our son when he was an infant, doing things like pulling spoons out of his left hand and putting them in his right. She still denies it, but she stopped doing it when we called her on it.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Seen on facebook, a new twist on an old classic.

for some reason the "which is you" pisses me off the most

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
dad tolerant, so what

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Stroop There It Is posted:

for some reason the "which is you" pisses me off the most
Gotta make sure the audience knows who the boyfriend is in this totally not made up story.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

System Metternich posted:

It is/was actually not just a Catholic problem, tons of parents and schools and whatnot forced children to use their right hand. In many Asian countries this is apparently still the norm, even.

Some countries it's like that b/c you don't have toilet paper etc so one hand is your "dirty hand" and one hand is the clean hand, so extending your dirty hand is seen as an insult, and so you want everyone to have the same dirty and clean hand so that they're not comin at you with that poo finger

that's what my firend who is indian told me when we were like 10

sweeperbravo has a new favorite as of 00:39 on Feb 24, 2017

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

hogmartin posted:

Lefties dragging their hands across fresh ink or graphite always kind of made me wonder how everyone else deals with it in languages that use right to left scripts like Arabic or Hebrew. Especially in countries where (presumably) you can't cheat and learn to use the left hand, because it's the dirty one.

In the time when those languages were newish (at least hebrew) you chiseled rather than writing so it worked differently than when u just have one writing implement

That's what my boyfriend told me who is jewish

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Ask and ye shall receive, Mr Belpit:

Paintball

quote:

This Troper doesn't really know whether he's just crazy or determined. Once, he was going to be late for lesson and was riding his bike at full speed, and caught a tree by riding too much near the borders. He fell two meter further, almost scrapped his bike, which hit a nearby car. He got up one second later with a headache (and some bruises and injuries, thankfully they were all covered by whether the hair or the clothes, save for a thin stream of blood that he quickly swiped away), excused himself to the conductor, and just went to the high school anyways. Miraculously, he wasn't late in the end, though he had to follow the lessons with a headache and got some drips of blood on his sheets. He was pretty much fine after a good night of sleep. Another day, he was almost going to miss the tram and while he was running, he tripped on the rugged sidewalk and sprained both his palms and his knees. He still caught the train and managed to not be late at his meeting with his classmates, and that was because we scheduled to play Paintball (in order to celebrate the end of high school, mind you). In the end, he was playing with busted hand palms and knees, and still lasted to the end. Yeah, maybe he's just plain crazy.

Knee

quote:

This troper seems to have a knee made of plasticine and balsa wood. Following an old track injury, it has become a daily grind not to knock it out of line or injure it; a perfect example comes from my High School days. Out with a few friends and having a good time, I managed to dislocate the joint and shift the cap purely by taking a step while pigeontoed (that is to say, with my toes turned inwards) that required a doctor and a metric ton of painkillers to put back in place. Fun Trope to live with.

Fencing

quote:

This troper's feet are rotated about 45 degrees out, while her knees are rotated about 45 degrees in (Body Horror, anyone?), which has predisposed her for knee injuries. While bouncing lightly on her toes before fencing practice, she somehow managed to snap something inside of her kneecap that basically sprained her knee. To this day, the doctor still has no idea what the hell she did to herself. Both of her knees pop and snap with no warning, and the joints will start getting loose and snapping around if she's been standing for too long.

Joints

quote:

This troper's joints exhibit this. They crack loudly when flexed after periods of inactivity, his fingers are prone to dislocation, his skin tends to be sliced very easily, and the torn rotator cuff is still healing, but the underlying bone structure seems to be made of rubber. On slamming into the back of a car from a normal cruising speed while cycling, this troper has felt his ribs bend before popping back into shape.

Sockets

quote:

This anonymous troper has the same problems, with the addition that even the force of walking around can pull his shoulders and knees several centimeters to INCHES out of the sockets. The worst part isn't the constant threat of severe injury, or the constant painful yet minor injuries, it's the inability to find knee-pads that fit due to the funky leg shape.

Calcium

quote:

This used to happen to me during elementary school, so much that I could have 5 or 6 severe bone or muscle injuries each year. One of the most egregious examples is my breaking a finger because a classmate ran past me and bent it slightly when passing by. It turns out I need to take supplementary calcium pills.

Scar

quote:

This troper remembers another story-a friend of said troper stepped back to avoid a swing, and tripped over her own feet. She fell over an ankle high 'wall' and fell on her bum. She broke her arm so severely that she could touch the shoulder of the same arm...from behind. When she, in shock, tried to bend the arm back the right way, it bust through the skin. Almost ten years after the fall, during which she didnt bump her head, the girl developed Grand Mal epilepsy, and scans showed a 'scar' on her brain, almost definitely caused by that same fall.

Head

quote:

This troper recently heard a story that embodies this trope; a young man kissed his GF goodbye, put his helmet on and rode off on his motorbike. While still in sight of the GF (so not travelling that fast) he skidded out and came off the bike. He smashed, head first, into a lamp post, causing his helmet to pop off...containing his head...A subsequent investigation showed, ironically enough, that had the lad not been wearing a helmet, he'd have shattered his jaw and most of his face but would likely have lived. It was the 'lip' effect of the extra inch or so of helmet on the lamp post, that caused his head to be ripped from his shoulders. DISCLAIMER; THIS IS NOT IN ANY WAY ENCOURAGING PEOPLE TO GO WITHOUT HELMETS. THIS WAS A ONE OFF FREAK ACCIDENT AND HE COULD STILL HAVE DIED WITHOUT HIS HELMET. HELMETS SAVE LIVES. Still, turns out we're more fragile than we realise.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Khazar-khum posted:

Ask and ye shall receive, Mr Belpit:
Scar

her brain is in her butt

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Lord Chumley posted:

her brain is in her butt

Her butt, arm and brain are one and the same.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Hahaha my these kids are so gullible (especially that last one).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

*votes to cut welfare spending and decrease taxes*

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Why the gently caress would you have an apartment just for your cat? :psyduck: Kill the rich imo

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Garrand posted:

*votes to cut welfare spending and decrease taxes*

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I get so hard thinking of The Blacks RACE NOT SPECIFIED weeping and grovelling at my feet and telling me how I'm an angel sent from heaven

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I like the part where the OP has an apartment (a high-rise at that!) just for their cat but still only lets the homeless woman and her infant stay there for one night only.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I like how the store employee wouldn't find a baby bottle for the woman

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I like how this person is clearly trying to make you think they went out of their way to help someone in need like it was a huge deal for them to help out, nah I got an extra apartment I use to go gently caress my mistress and I guess I leave my cat there too for some weird reason, all she watches on TV is Latin soap operas. Anyway, you can only stay one night, the cat might get a little weird about it any longer than that.

I also love how they didn't specify a race for the poor woman but since they went out of their way to tell us all the employee was an evil white I guess I can only figure that the poor lady was probably black.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

dovetaile posted:

I like the part where the OP has an apartment (a high-rise at that!) just for their cat but still only lets the homeless woman and her infant stay there for one night only.

Empty-quoting is illegal but I loved this so much that I'm going to start telling strangers whom I dislike about my secret high-rise cat apartment

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You all Jest, but one od the guys busted in the FiFA corruption scandal had an apartment just for his cat.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Barudak posted:

You all Jest, but one od the guys busted in the FiFA corruption scandal had an apartment just for his cat.

No, no. That was for his pussy.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

In the time when those languages were newish (at least hebrew) you chiseled rather than writing so it worked differently than when u just have one writing implement

That's what my boyfriend told me who is jewish

That's how they started, but e.g. Hebrew has been written in pen and ink, right handed, from right to left ever since the first Torah scroll. It must be a solved problem, I've just been curious about how it was solved.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I know that in Chinese brush calligraphy, the brush is held in a certain grip so that it's vertical, and the hand doesn't touch the paper.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Barudak posted:

To be fair, I think it was multiple cats.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The fact that he emphatically lets them stay one night is such a weird detail. Is he trying to balance out his alabaster saint story with making sure he doesn't look like a sucker who gets taken advantage of? Maybe it's intentionally fake.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

sweeperbravo posted:

that's what my firend who is indian told me when we were like 10

This indirectly reminds me of a childhood stdh.txt. Growing up I was best friends with this Indian guy, and we had a kind of competitive relationship (in terms of academics, extra-curriculars, etc). I remember one time, after he came back from taking a trip to see his mom's side of the family in India (his dad's family actually lives in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, which apparently has a large Indian community), he told me that in India the streets are paved with gold.

Troper posted:

This troper's feet are rotated about 45 degrees out, while her knees are rotated about 45 degrees in (Body Horror, anyone?), which has predisposed her for knee injuries. While bouncing lightly on her toes before fencing practice, she somehow managed to snap something inside of her kneecap that basically sprained her knee. To this day, the doctor still has no idea what the hell she did to herself. Both of her knees pop and snap with no warning, and the joints will start getting loose and snapping around if she's been standing for too long.

Sounds like that troper might have a valgus deformity of the hip or knee. I have that condition and it turned out the popping was due to the cartilage being all hosed up, so I had surgery on both knees that involved scraping away the existing cartilage in order to stimulate the growth of new cartilage. The surgery worked pretty well.

It is kind of fun casually weirding people out with how far I can turn my feet around. I can turn one around so far that points the opposite direction while parallel to my other foot (and can even got a bit further than that).

Ytlaya has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Feb 24, 2017

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I know that in Chinese brush calligraphy, the brush is held in a certain grip so that it's vertical, and the hand doesn't touch the paper.

It's also top to bottom, then right to left. So a little more time for ink to dry before you return to a part you've brushed.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

This one doesn't have an agenda at all, no sirree

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

life is killing me posted:

Evolution is an agenda?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Lol at not covering the dinosaurs in garish feathers in the year 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

life is killing me posted:

Lol.

https://creationmuseum.org/