Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Just finished up Imperium Vol 4 and...uh? There's no conclusion! The Unity team failed to stop the ships with the tech from getting through, the Harada Foundation held the space elevator site (why was this a priority, by the way? Its not gonna solve their resource issue) and everyone just kinda walked away unscathed. Is there a finale somewhere? I don't see anything that looks related on the reddit reading order list.

Also, did I miss anything? I just read Imperium Vol 1-4, and I'm seeing that there are apparently a ton of books that come between 3 and 4. It seemed like a big chunk of the Foundation's decline just sorta happened between those two books, even though Harada pretty much triumphed over every challenge in the first three volumes. The Harada story is the one I've been most interested in -- is there any more with him or the Renegades? I was sorta miffed that there wasn't any response from Peter Stanchek through the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Phenotype posted:

Just finished up Imperium Vol 4 and...uh? There's no conclusion! The Unity team failed to stop the ships with the tech from getting through, the Harada Foundation held the space elevator site (why was this a priority, by the way? Its not gonna solve their resource issue) and everyone just kinda walked away unscathed. Is there a finale somewhere? I don't see anything that looks related on the reddit reading order list.

Also, did I miss anything? I just read Imperium Vol 1-4, and I'm seeing that there are apparently a ton of books that come between 3 and 4. It seemed like a big chunk of the Foundation's decline just sorta happened between those two books, even though Harada pretty much triumphed over every challenge in the first three volumes. The Harada story is the one I've been most interested in -- is there any more with him or the Renegades? I was sorta miffed that there wasn't any response from Peter Stanchek through the whole thing.

Harbinger Renegades

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A teaser from some retailer event.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Hadn't realised I'd missed Renegades 3. Not too bad. Cautiously optimistic the first issue awfulness was just teething problems. Also the X-O preview at the end had some loving trippy and cool visuals.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just read Valiant High.

The Bad News: It's only a 4 issue mini.

The Good News: Everything else.

After binging on Archie recently this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Also Rhyno, Coach Bloodshot is awesome.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The last episode of War Rocket Ajax had the writer on for an interview. I had no idea it was coming out, but after listening was hyped, so looking forward to reading it. They spent a bit of time talking about how he picked which characters for what and his response was "you kind of just have to be arbitrary at some point"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Just read Valiant High.

After binging on Archie recently this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

I'm gonna read this asap.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

X-O posted:

Just read Valiant High.

They better make this a regular series

Also comixology is having a huge trade sale. I have everything except Shadowman and Dead Drop. Have no interest in dead drop is anything with Shadowman worth it?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bobkatt013 posted:

Also comixology is having a huge trade sale. I have everything except Shadowman and Dead Drop. Have no interest in dead drop is anything with Shadowman worth it?

Only the Ninjak arc in the Deadside. :v:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

bobkatt013 posted:

Eh... volume 2 is worth a read. That's about it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Valiant collections sale on Comixology, ends Sunday, load up y'all.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 24, 2017

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

In my Valiant read-through, I finished The Valiant, which I thought was loving awesome.

That said, lol at all those heroes fighting a mystical opponent where the only magic-user on their side fights it with a molotov cocktail. Punk Mambo sucks, man.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Punk Mambo is indeed my least favorite character in all of Valiant. She's just terrible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's a good name for a bad (apparently) character.

I really need to catch up on Valiant.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I try to be charitable about these sort of things but at best Punk Mambo is a weak Constantine imitation.

Paolo Rivera's art on the Valiant is killer.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Russo brothers doing a quantum and woody tv series?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I loved Escape from Gulag 396 and when Archer and Armstrong comes back they get Eliot Rahal is writing it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well, I have to say that I really liked X-O Manowar despite not knowing the character too well.

Are there any other upcoming Valiant comics that would be a good jumping on point? Immortal Warriors looks interesting, even though it's just a one-shot, and I think Eternal Warrior looks like something to check out at least. Should I not be afraid to read the the new limited series? It feels like I'd probably just be lost trying to read Britannia, for instance.

Edit - Like, would continuity and references just be confusing to me, or would I probably still have fun reading most of this stuff?

Roth fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 23, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think Bloodshot somewhat relaunches soon? Jump on that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

algebra testes posted:

I think Bloodshot somewhat relaunches soon? Jump on that.

New #0 out today.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Britannia doesn't connect with the regular Valiant universe at all and Wrath of the Eternal Warrior is siiiiiiick. Read Archer and Armstrong through the first three volumes (actually read it all it's probably the best Valiant series) and you'll be all set for any Anni Padda Bros. books. Which are Ivar Timewalker and anything with Warrior in the title.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Rhyno posted:

New #0 out today.

Definitely not for people just getting into Valiant... Start with reborn #1 or The Valiant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rusty Kettle posted:

Definitely not for people just getting into Valiant... Start with reborn #1 or The Valiant.

Or better yet buy everything with that snazzy V on it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just caught up on this week's books. Bloodshot Reborn set up an interesting new status quo. I wonder if there's a significant time skip going into Bloodshot Salvation. Not sure if the child on the cover is intended to be Ray and Magic's kid or not. I also wouldn't mind Kay getting her own book either. X-O Manowar was fantastic. As expected from Matt Kindt. Raises so many questions about how and how long ago Aric left Earth and what is this new animosity toward the armor all about? Can't wait to find out. And man was that art gorgeous or what?

And of course Valiant High was once again amazing. High School Ninjak is just the best.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Britannia doesn't connect with the regular Valiant universe at all and Wrath of the Eternal Warrior is siiiiiiick. Read Archer and Armstrong through the first three volumes (actually read it all it's probably the best Valiant series) and you'll be all set for any Anni Padda Bros. books. Which are Ivar Timewalker and anything with Warrior in the title.

I wouldn't be surprised if they connect Britannia up to other Valiant characters, but yeah, there's only one mini-series so far and it has no obvious connections.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm bummed that Harbinger Renegade is taking the Rai scheduling of doing an arc then breaking for a few months. I was really digging the story with Solomon and having the team back together and now I still gotta wait until July for the Massacre storyline. At least the long wait is being rewarded with the return of H.A.R.D. Corps. The promo art shows Imperium back as well so that's another plus.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Aw, poo poo yes.

The page showing titles coming in the next month did feel a bit empty though, and the break isn't helping that.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Divinity III finale = HOT DIGGITY drat, wrapped up maybe a little too neatly but in usual Valiant fashion there are plenty of doors open for expansion later.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I haven't read it yet, later tonight, but I'm sure it delivers. Once again another Valiant event book has introduced a character I want to see more of. We've had Shadowman 4001, War Mother, and now Pioneer. I'm sad that these characters seem like they'll be one offs. But I hope they're not.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I saved Divinity III until all 8 issues were released and just sat down and read through the whole thing. It was so worth waiting. What a fantastic series. I really hope they end up collecting all 16 of the Divinity issues in one of their deluxe hardcovers, because reading through the entire run at once would be a great experience.

And now, on to X-O #1.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I sat in on a conference call with Valiant the other day. They loving love retailers, we're getting so much free poo poo to pass on to customers. One bummer is they said they are slowing down the OSHCs a bit which is a bummer.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Unfortunately they seem be cutting down on a number of things, including ongoing books. Right now we have Faith, Harbinger Renegade, Ninjak, and the just launched X-O. That's pretty anemic even for Valiant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Unfortunately they seem be cutting down on a number of things, including ongoing books. Right now we have Faith, Harbinger Renegade, Ninjak, and the just launched X-O. That's pretty anemic even for Valiant.

They told us stuff I can't talk about but it shouldn't be like this for long.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Dunbar posted:

I saved Divinity III until all 8 issues were released and just sat down and read through the whole thing. It was so worth waiting. What a fantastic series. I really hope they end up collecting all 16 of the Divinity issues in one of their deluxe hardcovers, because reading through the entire run at once would be a great experience.

And now, on to X-O #1.

X-O 1 is good. I mean it's a barbarian slave story we've all seen a million times but it's well executed. I really liked the art and colouring.

Regarding Divinity 3 I think my only real knock is how easily Abrams influenced the antagonist. Overall I've been surprised at how much I've liked the Divinity books. As a general rule I really dislike reality warpers because they're usually just cheap plot devices, but they've been done well here.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So is Shadowman really the worst of the new Valiant books? I liked the original (from the 90s) ok, but I haven't gotten around to reading the new one yet.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lightning Lord posted:

So is Shadowman really the worst of the new Valiant books? I liked the original (from the 90s) ok, but I haven't gotten around to reading the new one yet.

Yes. It's the only one I would say is not really good at bare minimum. It's not terrible, it's just aggressively mediocre. The arc that Matt Kindt wrote in Ninjak with him is really good though. And there's an event later this year that he's returning in. Kindt is writing that too and seems to have a good handle on the character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
V plans to announce some stuff at C2E2 if the contracts are signed.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

X-O posted:

And they just solicited Faith #12 as the final issue. But Rai and Secret Weapons launch in the same month. On the other hand, no Renegade or Bloodshot for several more months either.

I'm not surprised to hear they said they're slowing down on the OSHCs, because I had X-O deluxe vol 4 and the 4001 AD HCs pulled and both missed their ship dates and are currently listed as shipping in June on Previews. It's a bummer though because those HCs are how I've been catching up on Valiant since I only started reading them a couple years ago.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lightning Lord posted:

It's kind of a weird mess. The first two arcs are decent and have some promise, but then it goes downhill and the last couple stories are pretty dumb. Best way I can explain it is that the first story is the origin and the second story is the big "take down the main villain" payoff. Already. Then the writers can't come up with anything for Shadowman to do and they fall into the "this power I use for superheroing is making me evil!" trope and Shadowman becomes an unlikeable whiner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It shouldn't be too hard to make Shadowman compelling. You give him Dr. Strange style stories where he has to deal with weird poo poo in Deadside instead of making him fight normal villains.

Hire me, Valiant, I can do it!