Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

how to get ingame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ariong posted:

how to get ingame

quote:

An item to be held by a Pokémon. A pair of shady-looking glasses that boost the power of Dark-type moves.

Locations: Hano Beach, Haina Desert (dropped after ambush encounters), held by wild Sandile

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Ariong posted:

UGH! I somehow misread the nature of the Kartana I caught with perfect Attack and Speed IVs. It is careful, not Jolly.

I have a Jolly one, but only its Speed iv is perfect. Am I correct in thinking that the best solution is to grind it up to lvl 100, then use a bottle cap?

I should think so. Best use of bottle caps is legendaries 'cause you can't keep breeding them til they're genetically superior. Now I just soft-reset (and/or Abra-synch) until I get the nature I want, and caps can fill out the rest.
Alternatively, I can check out what I have for Kartanas when I get home. I've already got a trained Adamant one, not going through all that again for another copy of the same guy just 'cause his speed will be a little higher and attack a little lower. But I still led with a Jolly Abra when I got all 4 from this playthrough.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm just now at the Poni wilds, and I'm considering switching out some pokes for something similar.

I've got an Electabuzz, a Muk, and a Slowbro I'm considering switching out. Any suggestions for replacements? I'm kinda tempted to give the Alolan Sandslash a try, as well as Charjabug.

bradybunch
Jun 14, 2006

Why would anyone want to switch out alohan muk?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

bradybunch posted:

Why would anyone want to switch out alohan muk?

because it's...

[Sonic voice] too slow

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Counterpoint: everything in Alola is slow. It's that laid-back tropical culture, I tells ya.

Alolan Sandslash is in kind of an uncomfortable position, because it's a physical tank with a x4 weakness to fighting and no good recovery options. It's faster than Slowbro, but not so much faster that it outweighs the trade-offs. Vikavolt has a pretty good chance of killing anything it can attack with a weakness in 1 shot, but with a speed of 45, you have to assume it's getting hit at least once. That's not a huge drawback in the maingame... if you can avoid it eating rock or fire STAB attacks, which will almost certainly kill it. (I gave mine a Quick Claw and it did okay.)

edit: I mean outside competitive play you can use p. much anything you please without too much issue, just you know, be aware of the stuff you need to watch out for

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 22, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Diet Poison posted:

I should think so. Best use of bottle caps is legendaries 'cause you can't keep breeding them til they're genetically superior. Now I just soft-reset (and/or Abra-synch) until I get the nature I want, and caps can fill out the rest.
Alternatively, I can check out what I have for Kartanas when I get home. I've already got a trained Adamant one, not going through all that again for another copy of the same guy just 'cause his speed will be a little higher and attack a little lower. But I still led with a Jolly Abra when I got all 4 from this playthrough.

Pretty much. I reset for an hour to get a Modest Tapu Lele, and it ended up with 4 perfects IVs (HP/ATK/SPD/Sp.ATK) and its DEF and Sp.DEF were 27 and 28 respectively. :c00lbert:.
I'm still going to cap the defenses. :v:

I also just got lucky with a Buzzwole. Went through the whole mission and checked them a couple days later to find one of them was Adamant with the perfects being HP/DEF/SPD, and a 26 in ATK. :smug: It almost single-handedly got me my first 30 streak in the Battle Tree.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 23, 2017

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Does anyone have a DBHA Nidoran M? I'd really like one.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

OgreNoah posted:

Does anyone have a DBHA Nidoran M? I'd really like one.

Do people like mons in Dream Balls now? I collected a whole load of them back in Gen 5. Maybe I should transport them all forward to gen 7.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Hammerite posted:

Do people like mons in Dream Balls now? I collected a whole load of them back in Gen 5. Maybe I should transport them all forward to gen 7.

Oh yeah, they're pretty popular. Try reddit.com/r/pokemontrades/
Though the new cool thing is everything in Beast Balls because they're so difficult to capture.
I ended up getting a pair of Nidorans in dream balls last night from some guy in australia.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I just hit 1400 rank on showdown (VGC 2017). I know this is a relatively low ranking but it's the highest I've ever ranked so I'm pretty happy with myself as an entry-level player.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Turns out all my old game mons are of the wrong nature so no djinnis or zapdos for me. I'm seriously temped to replay heartgold to get that red for something though, can you still transfer from those games?

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 23, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Avalerion posted:

Turns out all my old game mons are of the wrong nature so no djinnis or zapdos for me. I'm seriously temped to replay heartgold to get that ted gyarados for something though, can you still transfer from those games?

You'd have to trade them up to Black/White 1 or 2 first

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I'm debating getting into competitive, at least somewhat casually. Is having the proper nature a huge deal, or is it just min/maxing?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

iospace posted:

So I'm debating getting into competitive, at least somewhat casually. Is having the proper nature a huge deal, or is it just min/maxing?

Well you'd be taking 10% less damage/dealing 10% more damage, that's a pretty big difference.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If breeding or trading for natures/etc sounds like a pain to you I recommend playing on simulators (specifically Pokemon Showdown) until you decide on a team to build, it'll save you a lot of time.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, I really have that problem most players have that they view status moves as overrated. That's probably the first thing I have to break myself of.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

iospace posted:

Neutral natures effectively do not exist in the competitive scene. Definitely says something about the usefulness of these boosts

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

zonohedron posted:

Rangpur posted:

I think any gimmick run like that has to yield to necessity of the HM slave. One more reason to be thankful for SuMo jettisoning that mechanic. That said, Crobat & Scrafty ain't nothing to sneeze at. Manenectric is pretty good as a Mega but I don't remember when you get the stone. Swalot is... uh, used in an old Fire Red LP, I think? That's the sum total of my exposure to it.
I dunno, I really miss picking which Pokemon had Fly and Surf, I somewhat miss the bicycle, and I really, really miss Dig and Teleport having field effects. I don't at all miss Cut / Strength / Rock Smash / Waterfall / Flash, though. (Especially not Flash.) I didn't mention Dive because Dive made so little impact on me in Black/Black2 that I forgot it was even usable there, and despite needing it in Alpha Sapphire it wasn't as aggravating as the others.

With Kabuto knowing Surf, Waterfall, and Dig, though, I just have to give Cut and Strength out. Gulpin can learn Strength, and when Kabuto evolves into Kabutops it can learn Cut and whoever I forced to learn it before can forget it. This may be a gimmick run that'll end up with me resetting the game two gyms in, but at least I did put some thought into it.

Update: Just got to Glittering Cave. Gulpin has been really good so far, mostly because of Yawn. Aside from Gulpin it's been hard not to just use Braixen for everything. Scraggy and Zubat are okay, but not great, especially because Scraggy's Moxie is so rarely actually useful. Electrike may as well be a Rattata or something; it just hit level 20 and just now learned its first electric-type move.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Gulpin is good. Iirc Shed Skin is nicer on Scraggy so it can tank status. Source: my old DD SS Scrafty.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I got the judge in my game.

Somehow, I got a Pichu from another country...

Perfect IVs except special attack, which is just shy of perfect. That was a surprise.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

iospace posted:

So I got the judge in my game.

Somehow, I got a Pichu from another country...

Perfect IVs except special attack, which is just shy of perfect. That was a surprise.
It was probably traded away for that precise reason, Pokémon eugenics can be harsh.

A Brief primer on breeding:
There's a small handful of items useful for breeding specific natures or passing down beneficial IV values.

- Everstones, when held, pass the nature of the parent to the child 100%. A lot of Pokémon have one attacking stat they'll never use, which can be the "dump stat" so another can get a small boost.
- Destiny Knots ensure that 5 Individual Values are selected from both parents and passed to the child instead of the normal 3. What IVs and from which parents is still random, as will be the 6th IV.
- Power <Weight, Bracer, Belt, Lens, Band, Anklet>, when held, pass the precise Individual Value of their corresponding stat (HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, Speed) to the child. Useful for things like ensuring your Pokémon has 0 Speed IVs for certain builds. They also help greatly in training Effort Values, giving 8 points of their relevant stat up to a cap of 252 per stat and 510 cumulative total.
- And also on EVs, every 4 points grants the equivalent of one stat point to the relevant stat at level 100 (or in online battles where your Pokémon are automatically scaled to level 50).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

notoriousman posted:

It was probably traded away for that precise reason, Pokémon eugenics can be harsh.

A Brief primer on breeding:
There's a small handful of items useful for breeding specific natures or passing down beneficial IV values.

- Everstones, when held, pass the nature of the parent to the child 100%. A lot of Pokémon have one attacking stat they'll never use, which can be the "dump stat" so another can get a small boost.
- Destiny Knots ensure that 5 Individual Values are selected from both parents and passed to the child instead of the normal 3. What IVs and from which parents is still random, as will be the 6th IV.
- Power <Weight, Bracer, Belt, Lens, Band, Anklet>, when held, pass the precise Individual Value of their corresponding stat (HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, Speed) to the child. Useful for things like ensuring your Pokémon has 0 Speed IVs for certain builds. They also help greatly in training Effort Values, giving 8 points of their relevant stat up to a cap of 252 per stat and 510 cumulative total.
- And also on EVs, every 4 points grants the equivalent of one stat point to the relevant stat at level 100 (or in online battles where your Pokémon are automatically scaled to level 50).

So why 0 speed for certain builds? Just so that specific 'mon will always go last?

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

iospace posted:

So why 0 speed for certain builds? Just so that specific 'mon will always go last?

If you are using a team that relies on Trick Room, you want the lowest possible speed stat to "outspeed" under Trick Room.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Anyone else participating in this weekend's competition, how are y'all faring? I came out 10-5 tonight.

My first loss was entirely luck-based. Two turns of Rock Slide horseshit flinching and then a miss with High Horsepower. Just shenanigans all over the place...

Pretty fun otherwise!

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

iospace posted:

It's mostly prevalent in double battles, but there is a move called Trick Room which makes it so the turn order is inverted - from slowest to fastest Pokémon - for several turns. There's also moves such as Gyro Ball which deals increasing damage the greater the difference between your speed and the opponent's.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Anyone else participating in this weekend's competition, how are y'all faring? I came out 10-5 tonight.

My first loss was entirely luck-based. Two turns of Rock Slide horseshit flinching and then a miss with High Horsepower. Just shenanigans all over the place...

Pretty fun otherwise!

What are you running? I'm still figuring out my team. I haven't trained any of the Tapus yet, so probably not them.
I've trained Kommo-o, Salazzle, Metagross, Golisopod, Dhelmise, Decidueye, Mimikyu, Ninetales-A, and Marowak-A. I'm working on Popplio and Aerodactyl right now.
It makes me sad I can't use all the competitive mons I trained for ORAS.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

OgreNoah posted:

What are you running? I'm still figuring out my team. I haven't trained any of the Tapus yet, so probably not them.
I've trained Kommo-o, Salazzle, Metagross, Golisopod, Dhelmise, Decidueye, Mimikyu, Ninetales-A, and Marowak-A. I'm working on Popplio and Aerodactyl right now.
It makes me sad I can't use all the competitive mons I trained for ORAS.

I brought:
Ninetales
Arcanine
Mimikyu
Muk
Mudsdale
Wishiwashi

Though if I had a properly trained Goodra I would have brought that in place of Wishiwashi. I desperately need access to TBolt

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

notoriousman posted:

I don't see the point in breeding for a 6IV monster anyway as there's no need for a stat to be perfect when it isn't even going to be used. Although since Raichu is a special attacker, having the special attack being the dump stat is a deal breaker.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Went 3-0 for the minimum game amount with one of those Trick Room teams that noto mentioned: Oranguru, Drampa, Araquanid, and Porygon2 with Mudsdale and Guzzlord on the bench though I don't plan to use them. In two of the games the opponent had a Mimikyu starter so I didn't get to use Drampa's Hyper Voice much.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Isn't Raichu about equal in both? Don't forget this is the Pokémon whose signature move is Volt Tackle.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dabir posted:

Isn't Raichu about equal in both? Don't forget this is the Pokémon whose signature move is Volt Tackle.

Alolan has a bit higher special attack for base (as in they took 5 points out of attack and put it there so instead of even, it's now 10 higher).

And yes, I'm doing research, though I probably have a loooooooooooot to digest still.

iospace fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 24, 2017

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.
I think I've only won two matches out of seven tonight but that's because I'm running a messy setup with Oranguru, Hariyama, Vikavolt, Mimikyu, Crabominable, and Toxapex.

I mostly just want the mega stones but I also wanted my precious hairy crab to body slam things. :shobon:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I'm 2-1 so far. The last guy just loving stalled me out with a whimsicott with no attacks. So boring

Using a trick room team of mimikyu/snorlax/crab/golispod

Every team has had mimikyu on it so far

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I wasn't able to register because I was dumb and procrastinated and I also had an internet outage but honestly I probably would have forgotten anyways.

Sigh... I gotta wait like two months for those stones, now. The two stones that I could actually use.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Zuzie posted:

I don't see the point in breeding for a 6IV monster anyway as there's no need for a stat to be perfect when it isn't even going to be used. Although since Raichu is a special attacker, having the special attack being the dump stat is a deal breaker.

You technically want 0 attack on all special attackers due to confusion and Foul Play.

That said Raichu uses both attack and spatk. Attack makes Fake Out and Nuzzle do a bit more, which is relevant every once in a while.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
0/4. Didn't raise a team and don't really feel like playing against Ultra Beasts and Tapus.

On the positive side, Alolan Ninetales seems interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That's the thing that sort of boggles my mind. Why are Ultra Beasts and Tapus legal?