Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I forgot to mention that entry-level hourly wage for turbine repair has dropped from $30/hr to $18/hr over roughly the past five year period. This in a field which requires commitment to a schedule of 100% travel site to site for much of the year, with a similar environmental hazard risk to underwater welders. Concerns of retaining talent in the industry long term are definitely growing, especially in North America where the number of people certified to work on these is numbered in the hundreds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rime posted:

Wind is having some growing pains right now. I'm in the process of acquiring certifications for turbine repair, and what I've uncovered while speaking to current workers is problematic. Most concerningly (at least career wise for me) the major wind producers are increasingly unwilling to invest in preventative maintenance on a regular schedule. This cheapening of production can of course manifest itself catastrophically, as potentially seen in recent tower collapses in eastern canada (the causes of which are still under investigation), or more insidiously over time.

For example: for many years the gold standard for blade repair in the industry has been Siemens Blade B, a certification which qualifies a technician to repair damage to turbine blades which penetrates up to three layers deep in the composites. This covers damage from bird strikes, lightning strikes, and the odd delamination from stress. All things you want to get patched up pretty fast so that your very expensive turbine blade doesn't degrade any further.

Unfortunately, word of mouth in the industry right now is that Siemens will no longer be performing B-level repairs as part of their warranty services or ongoing maintenance, and that damage of this nature is going to be filed under "general wear and tear". Why this cost cutting is seen as necessary is unclear, and it implies an uncertainty in the profitability of the market from a major producer which is unsettling to say the least. :shrug:

But those are normal wear and tear and not related to a manufacturing defect of the blade. This just brings the turbines in line with other forms of power generation.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Potato Salad posted:

I used to give a gently caress about biodiversity in our rivers and streams.

I'm trying not to shift to 100% "dam everything now" and need help doing so.
I'm not going to even bother to reach you because the info is out there.

Check out "Salmon on the Backs of Buffalo" and then "DamNation", the rest is up to you to perform soe diligence. I'm loving tired of educating the unwilling and am willing to leave you behind, sorry,

And I don't mean that insultingly or as a"fygm" thing, I'm just not gonna hang around and try to convert people who're entirely willing to use false propaganda to attack actual physics.. I just hope to moev to China or EUrope where energy engineers seem to be welcomed and not mocked.

I really am sorry on multiple levels but "IDGAF - help me GAF" - no, gently caress you bro. Go back to your job and stop wasting the time of people who want to make a difference.. It's kind of like a junkie - you want to be convinced that NA is the thing that can help you - naw bro, that's on YOU not everybody else that you stuck that needle in your arm and fight those who care about removing it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The point of posting isn't to convert your opponent, trying to do so will only cause them to entrench further. This may be why you seem so exasperated.

Instead, think of the people on the sidelines who maybe feel like they don't know enough to have an informed opinion, or who know a little from one side but haven't even heard yours. Your posting could still influence or even convince them, and then they may go on to influence or convert others.

What you shouldn't ever do is explain at length why you're not even going to engage, that's declaring victory without even throwing a punch and even the people who already agreed with you aren't going to like it. I know that you don't consider yourself to be in an argument and that you don't feel like you're declaring victory, but that's how it comes across regardless.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Wow, okay I just did perform a little due-diligence and your posts are nothing if not informative of how much attention I ought to provide to noted forums star duck-avatar-guy, who really likes nothing more than repetitive one-liners ITT.

I maybe the way you rarely start any post without a predictable 3-4 word intro (which you use over and over through almost all posts) makes me really suspect if you're serial or no

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 23, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

coyo7e posted:

Wow, okay I just did perform a little due-diligence and your posts are nothing if not informative of how much attention I ought to provide to noted forums star duck-avatar-guy, who really likes nothing more than repetitive one-liners ITT.

I maybe the way you rarely start any post without a predictable 3-4 word intro (which you use over and over through almost all posts) makes me really suspect if you're serial or no

:frogout:

also dams bad for everything that migrates and for everything kilometres downstream that likes oxygen and normal temperatures and even worse for everything downstream to the sea that likes seasonal water level change

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

blowfish posted:

:frogout:

also dams bad for everything that migrates and for everything kilometres downstream that likes oxygen and normal temperatures and even worse for everything downstream to the sea that likes seasonal water level change

on the other hand they are quite good for downstream things that dislike seasonal water level changes, e.g. human settlements

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

coyo7e posted:

[...] duck-avatar-guy, who really likes nothing more than repetitive one-liners ITT.

Huh? You don't have to agree with everything QuarkJets says, but this is definitely not justified. Besides, this:

QuarkJets posted:

The point of posting isn't to convert your opponent [...] Instead, think of the people on the sidelines who maybe feel like they don't know enough to have an informed opinion, or who know a little from one side but haven't even heard yours. Your posting could still influence or even convince them, and then they may go on to influence or convert others.

is actually true – not just for threads in stupid forums, but for any kind of public discussion.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
Dams are critically important for securing and managing water resources for humans as well as being able to moderate renewable energy (wind and solar) as well as providing its own renewable energy. That and hydro power has the fastest response time of any power generating capacity that we have. Yes they gently caress up local ecosystems by converting them into lakes, lakes have their own ecosystems too. But all ecosystems are getting hosed over anyways and considering that dams are one of our most powerful assets in reducing our carbon emissions, the decision seems clear to me, anyways.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

CombatInformatiker posted:

is actually true – not just for threads in stupid forums, but for any kind of public discussion.

coyote's style of posting is the mode of operation for many posters in the sociology threads in this forum, where you proclaim yourself an expert in a subject, get outraged when others don't immediately respect your genius and immediately defer to your opinions on a subject, and then castigate others for their ignorance and hide behind technicalism to avoid having to explain or provide any evidence for any of your opinions.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rime posted:

I forgot to mention that entry-level hourly wage for turbine repair has dropped from $30/hr to $18/hr over roughly the past five year period. This in a field which requires commitment to a schedule of 100% travel site to site for much of the year, with a similar environmental hazard risk to underwater welders. Concerns of retaining talent in the industry long term are definitely growing, especially in North America where the number of people certified to work on these is numbered in the hundreds.

That really sucks. But, for now think of it as a self-resolving problem, because it sounds like the not-so-distant future should provide you with failure related work.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BattleMoose posted:

Dams are critically important for securing and managing water resources for humans as well as being able to moderate renewable energy (wind and solar) as well as providing its own renewable energy. That and hydro power has the fastest response time of any power generating capacity that we have. Yes they gently caress up local ecosystems by converting them into lakes, lakes have their own ecosystems too. But all ecosystems are getting hosed over anyways and considering that dams are one of our most powerful assets in reducing our carbon emissions, the decision seems clear to me, anyways.

But again, we've already built nearly all the dams we could that would be at all useful, at least across the developed world. And even many that turned out to be a waste of time and effort on top of that.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

fishmech posted:

But again, we've already built nearly all the dams we could that would be at all useful, at least across the developed world. And even many that turned out to be a waste of time and effort on top of that.

There are several large capacity dam projects which remain on paper in British Columbia. They'll likely never be built now as they require significant disruption to pristine rainforest environments, but who knows where late stage capitalism will lead us someday.

The US Army Corps of Engineers also drew up a plan back in the 50s for the damming of the entire Rocky Mountain Trench. Our own, much shittier, 3 gorges. Thankfully that one is definitely not happening.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
They're also one of those things that require maintenance otherwise pretty bad stuff happens and as it is now the entire world has problems just repairing roads

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
While not strictly speaking energy generation it's at least tangentially related - battery production is popping these years:

Why didn't you invest in eastern Poland?

If nothing else it'll reduce prices but I'm not really sure how the market can absorb it that rapidly. Either EVs or residential batteries really take off or some investors are going to get burned.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I've read almost every page of every energy related thread in D&D since the one where the guy came up with spooning your partner at night as an unit of measurement. The subject matter is not my area of study so I've never really had anything to directly contribute to the threads, but I really appreciate all of the regulars explaining their work for the laymen and for also providing a poo poo ton of primary sources that I've checked out over the years, especially the Physics for Future Presidents course from, if I remember right, Berkley.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I haven't read it yet, but the Economist did a thing on renewables.

http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21717365-wind-and-solar-energy-are-disrupting-century-old-model-providing-electricity-what-will

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

coyo7e posted:

I made a legitimate attempt to help you and you react like this? Are you actually an angry 13 year-old in real life or is posting like one just your gimmick?

But yes, it's true, my posts are generally awesome, thank you for noticing :cool:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

LemonDrizzle posted:

on the other hand they are quite good for downstream things that dislike seasonal water level changes, e.g. human settlements

houses have no business being at the lowest point of a floodplain

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

blowfish posted:

I was going to put a lock on my door, but then I realized houses have no business being in an area with the potential for crime.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

blowfish posted:

Maybe but flooding can affect huge areas, not just the lowest points. In 1954 the Yangtze flooded and forced 19 million people out of their homes. Saying they should just not live there is not constructive. People settle and build their cities along rivers for a number of reasons and the land is often some of the best for agriculture. With or without hydro-electricity governments will want to protect those people and assets.

As an aside, there's 80,000 dams in the US and only 3 percent generate electricity. Dams are useful for a whole lot of reasons beyond electricity generation but we might as well stick some turbines in them if we're going to build them.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Personally I think we should reprocess nuclear fuel and end the long-term storage problem for the long term.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Arglebargle III posted:

Personally I think we should reprocess nuclear fuel and end the long-term storage problem for the long term.

Well yeah that's the same strategy but it's politically dead on both sides of the aisle

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Well yeah that's the same strategy but it's politically dead on both sides of the aisle

Also more critically (heh), the nuclear power industry has convinced power companies they are too expensive and money runs the world

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Bates posted:

In 1954 the Yangtze flooded and forced 19 million people out of their homes.

That is one of the more important reasons to dam rivers.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Also more critically (heh), the nuclear power industry has convinced power companies they are too expensive and money runs the world

All the more reason to nationalize power generation and distribution

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

freezepops posted:

Also, I think its important to point out that the pelican power plant is NOT a peaking power unit. Its a combined cycle plant, which means its purpose is to supply large amounts of electricity at a cheap price. Its a baseload generator which no longer has a baseload to generate electricity for due to the large integration of wind energy reducing the amount of baseload.

There's absolutely nothing to stop the owner of a CCGT running it for a short amount of time (4-6 hours) per day, if the price of power and the price of gas dictate that that's the most profitable time to run. The limiting factor is temperature differentials on the steam turbine - you want it to expand as it warms up within its design tolerances, so you don't get the blades expanding faster than the casing and rubbing on it. For a modern (i.e. post-2000) CCGT, it's entirely reasonable to expect it to be able to generate flexibly without any drama on startup and synchronisation to the grid.

The biggest problem you're likely to encounter from doing this is having your maintenance manager start whining about the ratio of running hours to starts and the bill that you're going to get from GE/Siemens/Alstom the next time the GT is due to be maintained.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

QuarkJets posted:

All the more reason to nationalize power generation and distribution

The US can't afford it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The US can't afford it.

You can, you just choose not too.

Buffet rule the rich and the corporations, dont spend as much money on the military, inheritance tax for good measure and you will be well on your way.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The US can't afford it.

We really can though

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

RDevz posted:

There's absolutely nothing to stop the owner of a CCGT running it for a short amount of time (4-6 hours) per day, if the price of power and the price of gas dictate that that's the most profitable time to run.

Pelican Point Power Station:
This is a company that likes to make money. They have stated its not profitable to run this additional turbine. I believe them when this for profit group says doing a thing isn't profitable and then they don't do the thing. If there was a way for them to make money doing the thing you suggest, they would be doing it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The US can't afford it.

We certainly seem to be willing to fund building and operating a fleet of something like 80 nuclear subs that cost between 1 and 4 billion dollars a pop.

e: Oh, and a dozen nuclear carriers that are like $13 billion each.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 24, 2017

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BattleMoose posted:

Pelican Point Power Station:
This is a company that likes to make money. They have stated its not profitable to run this additional turbine. I believe them when this for profit group says doing a thing isn't profitable and then they don't do the thing. If there was a way for them to make money doing the thing you suggest, they would be doing it.

And thats fine. Its just that that was not the reason given why the generator wasnt fired up, and why SA had blackouts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The US can't afford it.

It's kind of a weird idea that a state cannot afford to own the things within its jurisdiction.

If it governs expensive things it should be a wealthy state.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

NPR Journalizard posted:

And thats fine. Its just that that was not the reason given why the generator wasnt fired up, and why SA had blackouts.

It literally is. They stated it in a press release. Which I linked in a previous post and you even quoted that link. Here again.

http://engie.com.au/media/UploadedDocuments/News/Pelican%20Point%20Second%20Unit%20-%20Media%20statement.pdf

quote:

There is no commercial rationale to operate the second Pelican Point unit in the current
market environment in SA for a small number of days across the year.

However, once ENGIE was directed on by AEMO on February 9, we were able to promptly
start the second unit, ensuring our costs were covered, including gas to operate the unit.

I am not exactly sure who or how EGNIE's costs were covered but it sure sounds like the government had to pay EGNIE to operate that plant. Because they didn't want to. Because it wasn't profitable to do so.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If the plant's such a loss to run, why hasn't the company sold it off or sold off the equipment inside?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BattleMoose posted:

It literally is. They stated it in a press release. Which I linked in a previous post and you even quoted that link. Here again.

http://engie.com.au/media/UploadedDocuments/News/Pelican%20Point%20Second%20Unit%20-%20Media%20statement.pdf

I am not exactly sure who or how EGNIE's costs were covered but it sure sounds like the government had to pay EGNIE to operate that plant. Because they didn't want to. Because it wasn't profitable to do so.

Whoops, you are right, I remembered bad. Sorry.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

fishmech posted:

If the plant's such a loss to run, why hasn't the company sold it off or sold off the equipment inside?

Its only 1 of 2 turbines that they choose not to run. I would surmise that the plant is profitable.

They ran 2 turbines from 1999 to 2013 when they effectively decided to mothball the second turbine, apparently due to oversupply in the energy market in South Australia.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BattleMoose posted:

Its only 1 of 2 turbines that they choose not to run. I would surmise that the plant is profitable.

They ran 2 turbines from 1999 to 2013 when they effectively decided to mothball the second turbine, apparently due to oversupply in the energy market in South Australia.

So why not sell the unprofitable turbine to someone else, or transfer the turbine to another plant they own where it would be economical? Mothballing would tend to imply it's already not in a state where it can quickly be brought online as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

fishmech posted:

So why not sell the unprofitable turbine to someone else, or transfer the turbine to another plant they own where it would be economical? Mothballing would tend to imply it's already not in a state where it can quickly be brought online as is.

I can only guess at their decision making processes. And perhaps mothballing isn't the correct term to use. And honestly I don't know exactly what it entails for them to bring that turbine on-line, additional personnel? Securing Gas supplies?

But consider these are "massive" pieces of equipment. They are very difficult and costly to move and finding a buyer at the right price would be difficult also. Perhaps they think it would be most worthwhile to keep the unit there and market conditions could change so that it could be profitable in the future. And maybe that has happened already.

South Australia hopefully will now realise that they do need that turbine to be available to them. Perhaps now they can reach an agreement in which it will be profitable for ENGIE to keep that plant on standby and participate in the market bidding processes. Or maybe they will need a few more blackouts for that to happen. Or they might secure electricity supply in some other way.

I do think you are grossly underestimating how difficult it is to move such infrastructure or even sell it.