Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Well, we've got the Copeland result and it's bad for Labour. So the night goes down as lovely and you'd have to expect the PLP to start getting antsy again.

Over 2000 majority is just terrible. I'm sure someone will insist it's not bad but I'd like to preemptively tell you to wheesht yerself. This is an incompetent government with terrible policies, and Labour just lost to them.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/834959266339500032

This is bad.....for Corbyn

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
UKIP beaten into fourth.

The media were all about saying they could win it back on December.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Labour down 4.9%. UKIP down 9.0%. I'm guessing a lot of that swing went to the Tories.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tories doing well at being more UKIP than UKIP I see.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The threat UKIP represents is that their wholesale collapse will hand votes to the Conservatives.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The threat UKIP represents is that their wholesale collapse will hand votes to the Conservatives.

yup.

well, turkeys voting for christmas

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

bit of a mixed night overall

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Over 2000 majority is just terrible. I'm sure someone will insist it's not bad but I'd like to preemptively tell you to wheesht yerself. This is an incompetent government with terrible policies, and Labour just lost to them.

Yes but it is a surprisingly popular government with popular policies. Which unfortunately is what matters in elections.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Yes but it is a surprisingly popular government with popular policies. Which unfortunately is what matters in elections.

It's not actually that popular though. They just look more popular because the Opposition are even more unpopular.

It's not all on Jeremy but it's naive to pretend he doesn't bare some responsibility. Obviously Labour's rot in its heartlands goes deeper than just 2015 to 2017, but I'd have hoped Jeremy could at least be less unpopular than he is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

People do actually like Theresa May though.

Like they look at her and her government and think "hmm yes I like this more of this please"

I'm not sure what you can do about that other than euthanasia.

Like I don't understand it either but people decided in 2015 that the problem with the coalition was that it wasn't tory enough and they still apparently think that the tories are at least as popular as they normally are.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

We'll see. Copeland was a special case. Labour sellout (immediately looks not great for the left of Labour) loses seat to a Tory in a very pro nuclear area while the Labour policy on nuclear power is somewhat unclear. If you type in "labour nuclear policy" to google, what you get is a page full of disagreement about Trident, not whether the party is in favour of new nuclear power generation.

Greens must be gutted their avowedly anti nuclear candidate got less than 2% of the vote.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

People do actually like Theresa May though.

Like they look at her and her government and think "hmm yes I like this more of this please"

I'm not sure what you can do about that other than euthanasia.
Labour needs a new policy the Tories have to respond to that isn't really intellectual and that most people agree with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't imagine what that might be when we have a pretty large industry in this country that involves filling the intellectual space on the low end of the scale with the worst ideas in history.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
nationalising the railways would be a good loving start

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
new rolling stock + engines built in the UK

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As much as I like cheap rail travel I would have to say it isn't really a very helpful policy unless you're a posh twat who commutes to london every day.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol now the trains are for posh people

cheaper trains would be useful for more people.

it costs more to get between a lot of major british cities than it does to fly to paris, lisbon, rome or a bunch of other places, it's laughale

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes I know and it would be nice to be able to visit my other half more than a few times a year.

But as a flagship policy it is not very helpful. I don't think there's many minimum wage people who need to travel between cities regularly in order to live. I would much rather have something complicated like getting rid of zero hours contracts and instituting proper on-call and sick pay in lieu of "you work regular minimum hours but you're on call 24/7 and we aren't obligated to you at all."

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I would much rather have something complicated
Hard luck chum that isn't how you win an election. You need a simple, good idea you can flesh out/somewhat betray/reveal to be a horrible mistake later when you have power.

A Weather Machine. Half Term Breaks For Parents. gently caress knows. Something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like perhaps that thinking might be what got us in this position in the first place what with the whole "people getting loving sick of politicians promising the earth and doing nothing and therefore voting for the most reactionary idiots available" trend going on.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like perhaps that thinking might be what got us in this position in the first place what with the whole "people getting loving sick of politicians promising the earth and doing nothing and therefore voting for the most reactionary idiots available" trend going on.
Look how many seats those idiots won just now. Paul Nuttall is crowing over people not showing up to vote for him being some kind of strategic victory. They lost about 3/5s of their vote share in Copeland.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Just popping in again to ask how the gently caress Jeremy Corbyn is still leading a major party

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bloops Crusts posted:

Just popping in again to ask how the gently caress Jeremy Corbyn is still leading a major party
Very haphazardly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Look how many seats those idiots won just now. Paul Nuttall is crowing over people not showing up to vote for him being some kind of strategic victory. They lost about 3/5s of their vote share in Copeland.

UKIP has been re-absorbed into the Conservatives, who are taking over their hard-right position and just won Copeland. The ideologues haven't gone away, they've just changed back to a less awful colour scheme.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

UKIP has been re-absorbed into the Conservatives, who are taking over their hard-right position and just won Copeland. The ideologues haven't gone away, they've just changed back to a less awful colour scheme.
The Tories won Copeland because the last Labour MP was a spiv and Jeremy Corbyn "has indicated he is open to new nuclear power stations but stopped short of backing proposals for a new plant at Moorside, near Sellafield, which could create 21,000 jobs" according to labourlist, the first site you get when you type "jeremy corbyn nuclear power" into google.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Jesus, just let Tony Blair lead Labor again

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Bloops Crusts posted:

He did murder all those people. Jeremy Corbyn, for all his faults, has so far failed to directly cause the deaths of thousands of people.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Bloops Crusts posted:

It's Labour, you numpty.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Baron Corbyn posted:

It's Labour, you numpty.

Sorry!

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Has the Trotskyite silent majority emerged yet?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

So apparently some minor hero has been slapping up some good posters in Olde London Towne

e; wait i might have been bamboozled, judging from the 2014 mentioned on that last one.

Oh well good posters anyway.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
So the take from the nights results are UKIP are dead, and people are voting Tory as the they see them as the only option. The Tories would probably have won in Stoke FFS, if they had put the resources into trying to win the seat.

Corbyn really has to go as this country is heading towards a 1 party state, we need an effective opposition not a protest party.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yes we need a Tory lite party

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

ukle posted:

Corbyn really has to go as this country is heading towards a 1 party state, we need an effective opposition not a protest party.

Led by who?

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

ukle posted:

A one party state is one where opposition parties aren't allowed to stand, not one where they're so poo poo the government wins them all.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OwlFancier posted:

Yes I know and it would be nice to be able to visit my other half more than a few times a year.

But as a flagship policy it is not very helpful. I don't think there's many minimum wage people who need to travel between cities regularly in order to live. I would much rather have something complicated like getting rid of zero hours contracts and instituting proper on-call and sick pay in lieu of "you work regular minimum hours but you're on call 24/7 and we aren't obligated to you at all."

I know many many minimum wage people in this area (north Derbyshire) who have to commute to the four nearest cities, there are very few jobs in this town and it's worse if you live in an outlying village . It's the same in Lancashire and I don't doubt there are other northern counties which have the same problems.

Then there is the problem of all the culture and art being in London. The London elite seem to think that all northern poor people are badly educated Chavs who are not interested in museums or galleries and so on, and that's simply not the case. I know plenty of chavs who love a museum and will willingly sit on a national express bus for 8 hours (2 hours by train), when the offers are on, so they can go to the west end. Don't tell me oh but Manchester and Liverpool have museums and galleries, firstly it means having to go to loving Manchester and secondly the whole point of a day out in London is to take advantage of the cheap tube network so you can see 50x more for free than you can in any other city.

Edit: I can now buy a horse and ride to London cheaper than a train ticket, when the railways were being built being cheaper than a horse was one of the things they sold it to the public on.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 24, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Well done chaps you've really done a good job loving Labour up.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
loving hell the Tories walked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

jBrereton posted:

Labour needs a new policy the Tories have to respond to that isn't really intellectual and that most people agree with.
Basic income (paid for by taxing the rich). Land value tax and/or empty property tax. There's no shortage of simple and good policies around which to base a strategy of constantly reminding people that it is Rich Bastards who are responsible for things being shite.

• Locked thread