Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kaincypher posted:

funny you should mention that. I just downloaded MGSV for PC to prep for this. Played the original on consoles when it first came out. It really feels like Metal Gear from years ago without even more piss-poor vehicle controls and buddy AI. This went from a day-1 release purchase to a GMG or Ebay purchase.

the physics in this game with vehicles were probably programmed by a mental invalid, I did a loving wheelie from the top of a mountain all the way to the bottom with no problems. while hilarious it also leads to a lot of stupid poo poo like enemy motorcycles that can push your armored cars off road lol.

The "fixed" 3rd person view is also so loving awful and I wish it was more of a "free camera" like MGSV. I realize I brought up MGSV twice but when you're playing a game like this, you can't help but think how this concept was achieved much better with more destructable poo poo, greater options, and far better controls all at 60FPS on a console. Maybe it looks and feels better on PC but I can't say.

Deakul posted:

And yet you'd rather they made this instead?

:psyduck:

I'd rather the Avalanche engine of everything blowing up in millions of pieces was applied to this, but that's about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Deakul posted:

And yet you'd rather they made this instead?

:psyduck:

Hey man, that was just Avalanche's US-based studio, Mad Max ran like a dream. :colbert:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
watch dogs 2 was impressive because i hated the protagonists enough i actually wished for aiden pierce again

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
It pisses me off to no end that the default magazine size for assault rifles and the MP5 is 20 rounds and not 30.

Also, close quarters combat is incredibly unwieldy with the poor camera handling.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Mars4523 posted:

It pisses me off to no end that the default magazine size for assault rifles and the MP5 is 20 rounds and not 30.

Also, close quarters combat is incredibly unwieldy with the poor camera handling.

20 round mags own, set your rifle to semi auto and tap dudes in the chest.

Also I fast travelled to the new region on the map and I gotta say, this game is loving gorgeous.

Holy poo poo so many mooks with body armor out west, though.

Edit:

The new beta runs a whole shitload better than the closed one, drat near doubled my FPS with zero change to in game settings or my own hardware. Really like how bullet drop isn't exaggerated as much, either. Cover is still kinda weird, driving feels like Mario Kart, and helicopters do my head in, but beyond that I'm feeling there could be a pretty drat good game here.

However, I'm not super wild on how apparent dead guys can call for backup, and how clairvoyant the backup seems to be. As soon as the call comes in, I run well away from where I was and the AI can still track me fairly closely. Does add a neat element of tension, though. All three of my AI boneheads got wiped out with a frag which nearly got me as well, thankfully the enemy gets a red poo poo IS GONNA EXPLODE HERE!!! indicator when they grenade you.

also yeah the COCKHOLSTER SHITBALLS is dumb as heck but it kinda loops back around to being silly

Beeb fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 24, 2017

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Finished the beta with a group of 4 guys. MP is where it is at. 4 hour playthrough for the beta (both main story chains).

Lots you can unlock during that initial period as well.

I totally dig the mortar strike.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
Just finished the beta. I like what they tried to do with the game, but I feel the execution was a little off. The combat seems mediocre to me. The aiming and the camera just aren't that great. Vehicle dynamics, while potentially hilarious, can be frustrating. Especially the helicopter. I had no idea what I was doing half the time. Just simply following the big yellow arrow. Of course, this only accounted for a small fraction of the game; maybe it gets better. Seems like it would be great co-op fun, but it just didn't hit me enough to want to buy. At least not until it dips in price or gets great reviews.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Is there going to be pvp? And not that dogshit like the division?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

always be closing posted:

Is there going to be pvp? And not that dogshit like the division?

Not at launch, probably nothing worth playing ever based on how bad the shooting is.

I didn't expect this to be less fun to shoot in than The Division, which was super unfun to me.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Not at launch, probably nothing worth playing ever based on how bad the shooting is.

I didn't expect this to be less fun to shoot in than The Division, which was super unfun to me.

Hell, that's depressing to read. I feel the same way about the division, but could probably have had fun in a tdm setting like I did in Red Dead.

Gonna play the beta this weekend and see, wouldn't mind not buying a game till rdr2 tho. Dropped a ton on poo poo games this year.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Gunplay is mediocre, vehicle physics are terrible, voice acting and writing is a warcrime. Game still manages to be super fun if you manage to find a good co-op buddy to operate with.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Qmass posted:

Helicopters suck but if they were any more involved, like they were in BF2/the BF1942 modern mods, you would have way more people complaining about how impossible they are.

GTA has had good helicopters and they aren't sim-level difficulty to fly. They are nonsensical and baffling in this game with a controller on PC. I don't know if it's other unused inputs(mouse/keyboard) fighting with the controller or the strong auto hover people talk about but getting it to fly forward in a straight line at speed always feels like luck.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

yeah its semi-automated - and totally boring as a result.

To fly forward without falling you hold "gain altitude" and forward until you start to lose altitude, then you release forward and keep holding "gain altitude". This keeps you flying level at speed. Then if you need to gain more height you keep holding "gain altitude" and hold backwards.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I rushed through the first area, got everything, and started working on the second area, and holy poo poo it's like a totally different game.

There's way more enemies at every mission and little area. The enemies are smarter and they have more things to use against you. It's way more difficult. If you're on the fence about the game, definitely try out that new map as soon as you can.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
How the gently caress are so many of you queens having issues with the gunplay?

If you suck so hard that the mechanics don't work for you, maybe its you, not the game. Cause this poo poo plays like every other over-the-shoulder 3rd person shooter I've ever played. It's simple as gently caress.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LCL-Dead posted:

If you suck so hard that the mechanics don't work for you, maybe its you, not the game. Cause this poo poo plays like every other over-the-shoulder 3rd person shooter I've ever played. It's simple as gently caress.

It's not hard, if anything it's too easy. But thats not the problem - the problem is it's just not enjoyable.

The only reason I'm still even thinking about it is because I can get it for $40 off and had some fun playing with goons once.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Trip report:

Game is fun. I have two problems with this game.

1. All vehicle controls are janky as gently caress. For cars and ground vehicles its like your stick has no middleground. You're either turning 100% or you're turning. This leads to the kind of terrible oversteering that makes it impossible to drive neatly. For helos it's like idk, I figured it out to the point I can drive a chopper pretty smoothly but it's not intuitive. My cousin had a lot of trouble with this while I mastered it easily. Planes? uhhh. hahahahaha

2. Walking motions and character controls are also janky as gently caress. It feels like my character has the motion controls of a game made a decade ago (and there were games made a decade ago with better character control). I loving hate it that when you get into cover you can't swap to face the other direction without extreme difficulty. It's irritating.

Everything else about this game is fun as gently caress. Seriously, once you get over and used to the annoyance involved with traveling anywhere whether on foot or vehicle of any kind you're going to enjoy it (with a friend).

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ice Fist posted:

2. Walking motions and character controls are also janky as gently caress. It feels like my character has the motion controls of a game made a decade ago (and there were games made a decade ago with better character control). I loving hate it that when you get into cover you can't swap to face the other direction without extreme difficulty. It's irritating.

Everything else about this game is fun as gently caress. Seriously, once you get over and used to the annoyance involved with traveling anywhere whether on foot or vehicle of any kind you're going to enjoy it (with a friend).

I thought helicopters, once I figured out how to fly them, were pretty simple and easy to use and ended up primarily using them for all of my transport needs.

As for walking, didn't think anything bad of it. Switching sides in cover was as simple as tapping the directional key (A or D) for me to get the dude to change which shoulder was against the wall.

Then again, the only game I use a controller on my PC for (Like, I actually went out and bought an Xbone controller for it) is Rocket League because the KB&M controls are unintuitive and just poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LCL-Dead posted:

The gunplay isn't "hard" it's just pissbitch quality. You're right though that it's just like any other 3rd person shooter in that it's mediocre retard poo poo much like the Division. At least in those games you could walk and run like you didn't have Forrest Gump leg braces though.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

MinibarMatchman posted:

The gunplay isn't "hard" it's just pissbitch quality. You're right though that it's just like any other 3rd person shooter in that it's mediocre retard poo poo much like the Division. At least in those games you could walk and run like you didn't have Forrest Gump leg braces though.

I guess I'm an awful person with terrible opinions but I like the gunplay in both the division and this game.

LCL-Dead posted:

As for walking, didn't think anything bad of it. Switching sides in cover was as simple as tapping the directional key (A or D) for me to get the dude to change which shoulder was against the wall.

Then again, the only game I use a controller on my PC for (Like, I actually went out and bought an Xbone controller for it) is Rocket League because the KB&M controls are unintuitive and just poo poo.

Yeah I'm on PS4.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

I liked The Division's gunplay too (minus the RPG element). I thought the controls in that game were well done and responsive.

I don't personally like 3rd person OTS shooters and prefer FPS gameplay to be completely honest but I wouldn't go as far as to say that this game's shooting mechanics are poo poo in any way.

I'd like to see more games like that one USMC themed game that came out, where you have no direct control over aiming, just general squad positioning and movement on a 4 man fireteam level. I thought that was pretty fun.

Again, if simply walking or running is too hard/aggravating for you, maybe it's time to move on to something a little bit easier for you to comprehend/control.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LCL-Dead posted:

I liked The Division's gunplay too (minus the RPG element). I thought the controls in that game were well done and responsive.

Again, if simply walking or running is too hard/aggravating for you, maybe it's time to move on to something a little bit easier for you to comprehend/control.

hahaha, ok

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Hey man, it ain't my fault you got your expectations up high enough to have them shattered when you finally got to touch a beta product.

Be like me, stop giving so many fucks about every aspect of the game and just find a way to enjoy it. We play to have fun, right? Quit being a stickler for the little poo poo.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Movement in this game is janky but it is by no means 10 years old, that's just some real over-exaggeration unless it's a complement for not using the modern animation based movement third person games abuse that looks good but feels stiff and bad. Shooting non-sniper rifles is good as well. It feels good to go semi-automatic and plug 3 guys in under 2 seconds. This is the first game in awhile that semi-auto vs. auto actually seems to make a real difference, I hope some of the guns in the full game have a burst mode too. Sniper rifles shoot pretty goofy and the magnification on scopes is the only thing that really lets them reach out. The bullet drop is super unrealistic but it feels good in a gamey way, not in a realistic way, when you make a distant shot. I need to do more experimentation with whether the markings on the scopes mean anything but they probably don't because the game is so shallow already.

I've been playing a lot with eye tracking lately and it's pretty hit and miss in this game. Much worse than Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Watch Dogs 2. It actually feels pretty good in Wildlands when using the look to aim(you aim at the part of the screen you're looking at when you press the aim button instead of straight down the camera) out in the open with no near obstructions. However, it's not implemented with any kind of subtlety so it's basically impossible to aim quickly over taller than waist high cover because it just tries to look through the cover and then you have to adjust your view. You can also look to track guys, as if you hovered over them with your aim but it's very slow and that generally works. However, it's too slow and it's typically faster to aim at a guy instead. I turn off all the extended view stuff because eye tracking isn't that fast, it's much better for interacting with the spot you're looking at. In Watch Dogs 2, it's actually quite good and you can use it to run around and look at people on screen to hack while the camera is pointed somewhere else. I like it in Mankind Divided for the moving from cover to cover mechanic where it lets you look at where you want to go instead of moving the camera.

edit: Drink every time I say feels good, hah :feelsgood:

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 24, 2017

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Ghost Recon Wildlands is a fun game to play with friends.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Bubba Smith posted:

Ghost Recon Wildlands is a fun game to play with friends.

Or even just random goons, with or without mics. Needs more emotes, a jump and a slide for maximum fun times.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

This being a uplay game means that it makes my discord connection completely poo poo the bed. I would LOVE to find a fix for this, and this is basically what stopped me playing Division with goons.

Also push to talk seems to just straight up not work in game. I set a key, and press it and my mic icon stays slashed through.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Ghost Recon: Steve Watched a Movie With a Helicopter Once So We Let Him Do The Controls

Scared of Bees
May 14, 2004
Save your fork there is pie!!
Bump the deadzone settings in game for controllers to low from the default off and you'll find the driving and flying 100% better, IMHO.
It's not that bad once you understand the helicopters have two flying styles at low and high speed.

The difference between the three snipers is great. The HTI is a loving monster and sounds cool hearing the shot from my buddy way off in overwatch as I sneak through towns killing targets up close.
I can see collecting all the weapon mods and messing with gun setups is going to be super fun.
This game is going to be a blast with co-op buddies.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Elendil004 posted:

This being a uplay game means that it makes my discord connection completely poo poo the bed. I would LOVE to find a fix for this, and this is basically what stopped me playing Division with goons.

Also push to talk seems to just straight up not work in game. I set a key, and press it and my mic icon stays slashed through.

Yeah, discord's pretty poo poo.

Just use mumble.

:iamafag:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Shredder posted:

Ghost Recon: Steve Watched a Movie With a Helicopter Once So We Let Him Do The Controls

Remember, a helicopter can go forward and down, or stand still and go up, but never the two shall meet.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Knifegrab posted:

Remember, a helicopter can go forward and down, or stand still and go up, but never the two shall meet.

You can go forward and up by building up forward momentum then pulling back. You'll still go forward but you'll climb.

Also I got into a gun fight with two other choppers and shot one down with the miniguns. It was an utter clusterfuck and pure luck I actually hit the enemy.

Choppers controls are well enough for transport but it's like trying to wrangle cats for joysticks in combat.

Still I had a loving blast with random pubbies, connection seemed solid in the half dozen games I joined. lovely part is open mic by default so crying babies and a barking dog aside...

I do miss the cover to cover run from Splinter Cell and the last Ghost Recon game. Really I miss tight hugging walls and corners and popping out, that does feel clunky.

Definitely a purchase for me though. The character and gun customization are loving boss, the world is huge and the beta let me know I can handle the weird as poo poo driving controls.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Jose Oquendo posted:

Any PS4 goons on this? Add me: joedbaker

Friend request sent. I'm ElJebus0 if anyone else wants to play this on PS4.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Knifegrab posted:

That's not true in this game or in real life, depending on the helicopter. In real life if the helicopter has enough power you can definitely tilt forward while gaining altitude as long as you aren't pushing the stick all the way forward. In the game you can do it by being in "airplane mode" and pulling back on the stick. You maintain forward speed and climb like an airplane.

In this game get a little altitude then hold forward and the throttle at the same until the helicopter starts to lose altitude at all, then just stop holding forward and it flies exactly like an airplane. Push forward to go down, pull back to go up all while cruising at speed.

It's really spastic but just fine when you get used to it. There is no discernable logic to its setup though.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 24, 2017

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I honestly had to laugh when I picked up a VIP, jumped in a chopper, gained altitude and then pitched forward, holding the same gain alt button and just augured into the ground.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I am perhaps more excited than anything else to get three of my friends into a chopper after unlocking parachute immediately for myself. We will discuss mission prep and objectives for at least 5-10 minutes. I will fly us high in the sky for a aerial insertion perfectly placed for a covert entrance. Except when it comes time to land I'm just going to jump out with "later bros" as they plummet to their deaths.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
There's something about the way this game runs that's really bizarre. It says I'm getting 50-60 FPS but nothing feels smooth, like there's a bit of stutter that's not frame dependent. Also the game straight up freezes for a few seconds when I travel a bunch and this is on an SSD.

Also holy loving poo poo is the dialog awful and your character and squad mates never, ever shut the gently caress up. This game isn't awful but in a ton of ways it really does feel like Tom Clancy's Budget Phantom Pain.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

BitBasher posted:

That's not true in this game or in real life, depending on the helicopter. In real life if the helicopter has enough power you can definitely tilt forward while gaining altitude as long as you aren't pushing the stick all the way forward. In the game you can do it by being in "airplane mode" and pulling back on the stick. You maintain forward speed and climb like an airplane.

In this game get a little altitude then hold forward and the throttle at the same until the helicopter starts to lose altitude at all, then just stop holding forward and it flies exactly like an airplane. Push forward to go down, pull back to go up all while cruising at speed.

It's really spastic but just fine when you get used to it. There is no discernable logic to its setup though.

Oh yes I forgot how easy and sensible this is as opposed to making it handle like, ya know, a helicopter.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
it's like they slaved away for years on this game and then MGS5 came out and the entire team just poo poo their pants and gave up

Which is super dumb because co-op MGS5 would be goty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

More dunkey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug86qB68f1M

• Locked thread