Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kater
Nov 16, 2010

There's only one arrow, and it's from everything positive in this world spiraling down a drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Hey everyone - ACCA is the best show this season. Please check it out if you like bureaucracy, cakes, food, regionalism, low-key political drama, excellent foreshadowing, old men, young men, older women, princes voiced by Mamoru Miyano, landlords, people discovering toast, New Years parties, cigarette smokers, high taxes on cigarettes, or people who go to work only to eat snacks. Thank you.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

brainwrinkle posted:

Hey everyone - ACCA is the best show this season. Please check it out if you like bureaucracy, cakes, food, regionalism, low-key political drama, excellent foreshadowing, old men, young men, older women, princes voiced by Mamoru Miyano, landlords, people discovering toast, New Years parties, cigarette smokers, high taxes on cigarettes, or people who go to work only to eat snacks. Thank you.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I've been seeing it going around a lot that Kemono Friends doesn't get good until ep 3, and personally I disagree. I'm sure it's conditional based on the viewer, since the series doesn't get rolling with various Friends until that point, but I think the show establishes its goals right away as a heartfelt and cute adventure story about a girl learning about the world and herself.

I think these types of stories told through adolescence have been very strong lately, with recent anime like Yama no Susume and Flip Flappers using similar character premises. The protagonist is introduced to new worlds with the help of a partner who acts as her foil. The main girl, confused and timid, is guided through various settings by her friend, and in turn her level-headedness supports her partner's wild, extroverted energy. This juxtaposition is their strength as they tackle various obstacles and their differences test each other and push them to grow.

So anyways, with that in mind I'd like to recommend anyone who enjoys these kinds of shows to check out Kemono Friends. I love it and I think you will too.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kemono Friends: the Flip Flappers of anime

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i have a hard time believing that as someone who loved flip flappers i would like kemono friends considering it is the ugliest loving show this season and i think hand shakers killed people with its animation

i'll probably check acca out more in depth after it's over, i watched the first episode and it seems like a real slow burner that would be best to take in over a short period of time. it was interesting though

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 24, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Space Flower posted:

I've been seeing it going around a lot that Kemono Friends doesn't get good until ep 3, and personally I disagree. I'm sure it's conditional based on the viewer, since the series doesn't get rolling with various Friends until that point, but I think the show establishes its goals right away as a heartfelt and cute adventure story about a girl learning about the world and herself.

I think these types of stories told through adolescence have been very strong lately, with recent anime like Yama no Susume and Flip Flappers using similar character premises. The protagonist is introduced to new worlds with the help of a partner who acts as her foil. The main girl, confused and timid, is guided through various settings by her friend, and in turn her level-headedness supports her partner's wild, extroverted energy. This juxtaposition is their strength as they tackle various obstacles and their differences test each other and push them to grow.

So anyways, with that in mind I'd like to recommend anyone who enjoys these kinds of shows to check out Kemono Friends. I love it and I think you will too.

Children's shows, are good actually?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Little Witch Academia is good yeah

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I just watched the latest ep of ACCA and holy poo poo it's good. I'm going to empty quote that post again.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

brainwrinkle posted:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

To be blunt Hand Shakers is prettier than Kemono Friends.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I've become completely desensitized to Kemono Friends' bad animation, probably because the character designs are great. Bad cg is not as big a sin to me as Hand Shakers' horrible designs on top of excessive post-processing.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
WELCOME TO YOUKOSO JAPARI PARK

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kemono Friends' janky animation is a charm point. Some Friends aren't good at being well animated, but there are things they are good at!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

dogsicle posted:

I've become completely desensitized to Kemono Friends' bad animation, probably because the character designs are great. Bad cg is not as big a sin to me as Hand Shakers' horrible designs on top of excessive post-processing.

Personal taste at play: I like the post-processing and absolutely bizarre camera angles Hand Shakers uses, which makes it maddening that it's wasted on those boring designs and generic plot. Meanwhile, Kemono Friends has adorable designs and a cute story, but I get really bothered by how terrible it looks. If the two could have swapped studios....

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Debbie Downer note.
Re: Scum's Wish.

Only one character left in the cast to be completely emotionally destroyed or turn out to be a horrible person, and the end of this episode started a bit of a countdown timer towards that happening one way or another.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good, having a likeable character would ruin it

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Homura and Sickle posted:

i have a hard time believing that as someone who loved flip flappers i would like kemono friends considering it is the ugliest loving show this season and i think hand shakers killed people with its animation

i'll probably check acca out more in depth after it's over, i watched the first episode and it seems like a real slow burner that would be best to take in over a short period of time. it was interesting though

It has a good director behind it and the ost is used wonderfully. It doesn't have a 'technical' visual strength but who cares. This is the season of KonoSuba S2; both of these shows are super expressive in creative ways that circumvent what first seem like limitations.

chumbler posted:

Children's shows, are good actually?

And see, this is the thing about the industry trends that makes me excited for the future. None of these are kids shows. These are late-night shows, seinen adaptions, and a dead mobage. Anime like these and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maidragon are all born in moe culture, and yet they all feel very human and deliver optimistic messages.

It makes me think of old man Miyazaki's opinions on how anime industry was slowly detaching itself from reality and human emotions, that moe was being used as social defeatism. Consumers would be unable to learn and grow from such antisocial stories.

I think more and more every day, talented otaku in the industry are proving him wrong. Look at Re:Zero, a web novel isekai turned into a light novel and then an anime. But it's not a story about escaping from the world. It's a story about facing yourself and the people around you, and saying "I exist."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

brainwrinkle posted:

ACCA features no landlords, just building managers. :colbert:

Although I'm sure the mysterious unseen landlord that the protagonists acknowledge they've not see in years is going to show up and be plot-relevant at some point.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

brainwrinkle posted:

Finally, an anime character I can relate to!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sakurazuka posted:

Good, having a likeable character would ruin it

I lost interest in the manga when the twintail kouhai arc wrapped up, so this checks out

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

ACCA features no landlords, just building managers. :colbert:

Although I'm sure the mysterious unseen landlord that the protagonists acknowledge they've not see in years is going to show up and be plot-relevant at some point.

I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be the dude Crow is working for. There was something connecting the two in an early episode I'm pretty sure. Which I guess makes sense given the latest revelation.

Also I started watching this show mistaking it to be Youji Senki and was very, very confused for a while. ACCA is so goddamn low key there are slice of life shows with more going on.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

kater posted:

I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be the dude Crow is working for. There was something connecting the two in an early episode I'm pretty sure. Which I guess makes sense given the latest revelation.

I'm pretty sure that's the king, whom Crow even acknowledged is his boss in the last episode, which was only made clear in this one.

Although given the latest reveal, he would still make sense as the landlord. :v:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Space Flower posted:

I watched the first episode and I would recommend the show to fans of Dora the Explorer

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

brainwrinkle posted:

Yeah it's an awesome show.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Aquasnake posted:

Debbie Downer note.
Re: Scum's Wish.

Only one character left in the cast to be completely emotionally destroyed or turn out to be a horrible person, and the end of this episode started a bit of a countdown timer towards that happening one way or another.

Okay so I've seen every episode and I'm not entirely sure if I'm watching the same show.

The only character who for sure is acting scummy is the teacher since she seems like a psychopath who can only get her rocks off emotionally tormenting people.

Every other character just strikes me as emotionally confused teenagers acting out to various degrees of self destructive behaviour but I have a hard time thinking of any of them as objectively horrible.

Hanabi in particular just strikes me as someone who is just confused and stuck in an existentialist crisis and has no idea how to deal with it other than shagging the first person she sees that vaguely acknowledges her value as a person.

Like I dunno, they all seem relatable in stupid teenager ways.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I've only seen the first 3 episodes so I don't know much about the teacher but :agreed: with your other points

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Okay so I've seen every episode and I'm not entirely sure if I'm watching the same show.

The only character who for sure is acting scummy is the teacher since she seems like a psychopath who can only get her rocks off emotionally tormenting people.

Every other character just strikes me as emotionally confused teenagers acting out to various degrees of self destructive behaviour but I have a hard time thinking of any of them as objectively horrible.

Hanabi in particular just strikes me as someone who is just confused and stuck in an existentialist crisis and has no idea how to deal with it other than shagging the first person she sees that vaguely acknowledges her value as a person.

This is exactly why I love the show. It feels genuine, what with the teenagers acting like dumb, melodramatic teenagers.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

StrixNebulosa posted:

dumb, melodramatic teenagers.

Which is exactly why I don't want to watch the show. Tried the manga.

... naw.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The show was kind of unbearable at first but seems fairly optimistic really.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It probably hasn't been said enough, but Rakugo has been insanely good. I'm inclined to say the 2nd season has been more engrossing for me than the first season.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

brainwrinkle posted:

When I saw the art my first thought was 'ew, is that dylan roof in an ss uniform?' but I'm pretty happy I gave it another shot as its what brainwinkle said and not fascist at all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Raenir Salazar posted:

I can't relate to any teenager that doesn't just spend all their free time playing SNES games

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

insanityv2 posted:

When I saw the art my first thought was 'ew, is that dylan roof in an ss uniform?' but I'm pretty happy I gave it another shot as its what brainwinkle said and not fascist at all.

I agree that the uniforms are kinda weirdly facist looking, but the show is decidedly not about that. Fairly early plot spoilers: Jean, the main character, is suspected of being an intermediary in a coup plot. The current King is 99 years old and his heir is a huge idiot, so powerful people in the 13 regions are worried about the nation's stability when the King passes. Jean is not involved at all and starts investigating the source of the rumor. It's a low-key political drama about NGO bureaucrats working to keep these very different states together as a nation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how do they look fascist? they look like any european country's military uniform.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Endorph posted:

how do they look fascist? they look like any european country's military uniform.

Putting civilian officials in military uniform is pretty fascist, at least in terms of looks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Early 1900s German iconography owns, so if people want to copy nazis they should copy that imo. Certainly not the other nazi things, which are in fact extremely bad and wrong.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Endorph posted:

Black military-ish uniform with a red+white+black icon on the arm is pretty much always going to remind most people of SS/nazi uniforms, I think. Especially when worn by a dude with blond hair and blue eyes, like in the promo art:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

Black military-ish uniform with a red+white+black icon on the arm is pretty much always going to remind most people of SS/nazi uniforms, I think. Especially when worn by a dude with blond hair and blue eyes, like in the promo art:

It's this.

If the inspection division uniforms had been navy instead, the comparisons wouldn't have been drawn, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Quite liked today's episode of Bang Dream. Show's been pretty slow, if pleasant, for the past few eps, but I felt like the character writing really found its feet today. Hope that holds steady.

• Locked thread