Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

I wonder if you get to at least pick the skill, or if is selected randomly.

It'll totally be random with low tier skills having like 70% to be chosen while high tier skills have like 2%

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I tried to roll some summons to get a Julia or Nino and didn't get a single green orb in 4 loving rolls what the heck

I just stopped after one summon in each chain but still what a waste

They really should let you like pick a color and guarantee you at least one of that color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The whale dominance increases

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

I wonder if you get to at least pick the skill, or if is selected randomly.

Since it's a gacha game, probably randomly with a high chance of failure, and no ability to forget skills.

Used 7 4* units to get skill X, too bad you got skill Y and now the unit is stuck with skill Y. Buy more orbs to get more 5*s to try again with more 4*s.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I look forward to seeing Takumis with Vantage or whatever.

That will be really fun.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 24, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Space Crabs posted:

Since it's a gacha game, probably randomly with a high chance of failure, and no ability to forget skills.

Instead you'll be able to replace skills! So have fun rolling the dice each time until all of your characters somehow wind up with roy's triangle attack in every slot even though you never had a roy to begin with.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I've been trying to get a good spear user. Pulled a 4* Catria over the weekend and she seems pretty good with her -atk debuff. -ATK +Def ugh, at least she might be able to facetank and act as a debuffer?

I did a 5 pull today with 2 blues! Another Catria, maybe I'll have an offensive, oh.. -ATK +SPD. Good news, the other blue was an Ephraim and he hits like a truck. +ATK -HP seems pretty good too.

I'm curious to see how the skill inheritance will work out. I've been holding onto all my dupes simply because I don't have the feathers to promote and merge them.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Nuebot posted:

Instead you'll be able to replace skills! So have fun rolling the dice each time until all of your characters somehow wind up with roy's triangle attack in every slot even though you never had a roy to begin with.

You could just not use that slot?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I ran into a team with a 5 star hector and effie with 2 healers and let me tell you gently caress this game forever

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Am I the only one who thinks the retardedly small map sizes to match phone screens is dumb? It would make too much loving sense to add a zoom mechanism to these maps so they can be bigger and less redundant

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ughh why did they only give 3 days to get F!Robin. Narcian got a week and his was way easier

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

AweStriker posted:

You could just not use that slot?

The joke is that everything is random. :negative: I don't actually think the system would be that bad.

Ubiquitus posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the retardedly small map sizes to match phone screens is dumb? It would make too much loving sense to add a zoom mechanism to these maps so they can be bigger and less redundant

Even the GBA games had bigger maps and the screen size back then was pretty small. Like with most things I'm just going to bet on bigger maps being revealed at a later date as an easy way to introduce more content with higher difficulties instead of having to keep introducing stronger units with higher level caps and rarities.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Andrast posted:

I look forwards to seeing Takumis with Vantage or whatever.

That will be really fun.

Takumi with Close Counter, Vantage 3, Quick Riposte 3.

Fury and any of the vengeance procs.

Every team with double dance and double draw back.

akulanization fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 24, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I actually really like the smaller move ranges and deterministic combat. It lets you fit the entire decision space in your head and makes it feel that any mistake you make is your own drat fault. Kind of like doing chess problems.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I agree. Keeping things simple makes the effects of every choice both obvious and significant. Larger maps or more units would simply dilute the effects of each individual decision until most of them are interchangeable and irrelevant to you.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 24, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Guys just keep in mind this doesn't meant you'll get to put two skills on the same slot. Vantage and Close Counter are both A slot abilities, for example.

Blue Tomebreaker, on the other hand, is a B slot ability and we just got two free RobinF.

E: I am wrong Vantage is B slot.
Hope you have a spare Gordin or Lon'qu!

(And at 5☆ probably because no way they will let you inherit unlearned skills)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 24, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kyte posted:

Guys just keep in mind this doesn't meant you'll get to put two skills on the same slot. Vantage and Close Counter are both A slot abilities, for example.

Blue Tomebreaker, on the other hand, is a B slot ability and we just got two free RobinF.

E: I am wrong Vantage is B slot.
Hope you have a spare Gordin or Lon'qu!

(And at 5☆ probably because no way they will let you inherit unlearned skills)

Lon'qu learns Vantage 3 at 4*. Also, it's not like Vantage is 2 that much worse.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Andrast posted:

Lon'qu learns Vantage 3 at 4*. Also, it's not like Vantage is 2 that much worse.

Huh, Anna and Gordin need 5☆. So just need to hope for a Lon'qu then.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
PvP was honestly enjoyable while it lasted

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
There is always the option of trying out Phantom of the Kill to see how having all the FE stats, bigger maps, more units per deployment, pre-deployment positioning, and more content to do/grind can somehow produce a worse game than this.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

I actually really like the smaller move ranges and deterministic combat. It lets you fit the entire decision space in your head and makes it feel that any mistake you make is your own drat fault. Kind of like doing chess problems.

Right, just like chess where the opponent has the same exact pieces you have.

Oh look at that whale over there, there isn't even an ocean near me

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ubiquitus posted:

You sure owned them by pointing out that this game isn't literally chess

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ubiquitus posted:

Chess problems, not chess in general. Like those little self-contained chess puzzles where you're already in a weird board position that may appear disadvantageous, and you have to figure out the way to checkmate in so many moves.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I like the system, they just need to keep adding maps.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also there's maaaybe like 15 relevant "pieces" you'll see on enemy teams, which is more than chess but less than some fairy chess games or, like, shogi.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
this game needs more anti-mage units

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

this game needs more anti-mage units

Kagero, Felicia, Julia, Fae, Lyn, Fir, and like all the pegasus riders aren't enough?

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Trihugger posted:

There is always the option of trying out Phantom of the Kill to see how having all the FE stats, bigger maps, more units per deployment, pre-deployment positioning, and more content to do/grind can somehow produce a worse game than this.

What is a Gumi title?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

akulanization posted:

Kagero, Felicia, Julia, Fae, Lyn, Fir, and like all the pegasus riders aren't enough?

Camilla also murders most mages.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

akulanization posted:

yes. kill all mages

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Andrast posted:

Camilla also murders most mages.

That's true, I also forgot about Eliwood. And probably Cain and Abel fit the bill too even if they can't take a magical hit they should still kill most mages thanks to 3 move and a brave weapon.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

You sure owned them by pointing out that this game isn't literally chess

It's almost as if I was comparing a derived scenario with a known solution to one that doesn't have a known solution, or even the pieces that are going to be present on the board before hand.

Clarste posted:

Chess problems, not chess in general. Like those little self-contained chess puzzles where you're already in a weird board position that may appear disadvantageous, and you have to figure out the way to checkmate in so many moves.

I'm aware of chess problems. but he was suggesting that every match has an inherent solution, which presupposes too much. The analogy didn't work to begin with, so I made one equally bad.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Also there's maaaybe like 15 relevant "pieces" you'll see on enemy teams, which is more than chess but less than some fairy chess games or, like, shogi.

But if someone doesn't have the right pieces to counter those, that knowledge doesn't provide much. The upper levels of training are just RNG heavens or deserts, and the arena is incredibly limited as well. They may get better, but the fact that getting a high score is impossible for a lot of people currently is just strange, they even left out a number of slots that could have been filled with any of the filler units.

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 24, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
fwiw i haven't spent a dime on this game and go 28/28 on perhaps half my runs. i haven't outright lost a match in two weeks, and the canonical whale units (azura and hector) are both laughably easy to deal with

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

fwiw i haven't spent a dime on this game and go 28/28 on perhaps half my runs. i haven't outright lost a match in two weeks, and the canonical whale units (azura and hector) are both laughably easy to deal with

Hector definitely is but the AI can be really annoying when it gets access to dance.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I actually think skill inheritance will break this and am salty about it beforehand, but in its current state f2p players can easily place in the top 5k worldwide, which is actually kind of insane.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
The AI almost always dances someone on the first turn and charges with that unit if given a dancer, allowing you to set up a favorable counterattack and kill the overextended single on the 3rd/4th turn. Since the dancer has to stay back while dancing, this lets you mop up the enemy team in detail, 1-2-1. You have to think differently, but I fear ranged+mage compositions a lot more than dancers.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Reiterpallasch posted:

The AI almost always dances someone on the first turn and charges with that unit if given a dancer, allowing you to set up a favorable counterattack and kill the overextended single on the 3rd/4th turn. Since the dancer has to stay back while dancing, this lets you mop up the enemy team in detail, 1-2-1. You have to think differently, but I fear ranged+mage compositions a lot more than dancers.

If you roll a dancer on the separated teams map you stand a really high chance of losing a unit if you don't have two good matchups in the same corner. I mean I'm not saying you're wrong about how you can do well in the arena without spending money, but dancers are trivial on some maps and awful on others.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah the 2v2 corners map is Super Bullshit 64, no arguing about that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

That's generally the strategy but some of the maps don't really give you a chance to do that. Like the one in this rotation where you team is separated.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
going to be melting down folks to feed to effie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I'm starting to think F!Robin might not be worth it. Should I rank up my Felicia to a 4*?