Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Uh, that's on your end.

But don't feel bad, Broforce sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

Sorry, I have had a hell of a bad day (week? Idk at this point) and I felt like being a douche. I don't think they actually reference it in game at all.

e: seriously where was my head at there, I feel like a dick

I think they actually do, but you probably have to talk to some random grandpa in the third floor of an apartment building.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

RyokoTK posted:

Uh, that's on your end.
Broforce definitely runs like crap on PS4 which I asssume he's playing on. It even held the #1 spot as worst running game on PS4 for a while.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VEKCCe3JAs
It also ran terribly on my previous laptop which had GT 555M and i5 in it, that had no problem running any last gen AAA game. Last boss fight brought the framerate down to sub 30's even on my GTX 970M i7 laptop.

It's also still really buggy and online play barely works. What a shitshow of developer, those issues were there from the start and they just ignored them. Or perhaps they just couldn't wrestle the Unity engine into working well for them considering there's plenty other games on that engine that have similar performance issues.

Sininu has a new favorite as of 02:43 on Feb 24, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Oh, well I guess I'm ignorant. :shrug: It ran flawlessly in my piece of crap desktop from 2012.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

RyokoTK posted:

Oh, well I guess I'm ignorant. :shrug: It ran flawlessly in my piece of crap desktop from 2012.

Same here

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Moon Monster posted:

I think they actually do, but you probably have to talk to some random grandpa in the third floor of an apartment building.

Then realize when he says something like "I set a pokemon on fire and no one came to help it!" he was talking about that, and not just being weird.

Anyway! I finally finished Atelier Sophie and holy poo poo that game is not fun. The entire Atelier series is pretty bog standard JRPG that really emphasizes grinding because a core component is using alchemy to make items. So by the end of the game you're running through areas you've cleared a thousand times so you can get items to make items, so you can make items with the right traits so you can make a specific item with those traits to make the item you need to make the item you want. That's not actually the problem with the game, mind you. That's just what I expected from the game. The problem is that the combat, in a turnbased JRPG no less, was really uninteresting. It was somehow less engaging and interesting than the PS2 installments in the same series and the only way they could think to make enemies harder was to let late-game bosses take four turns every time their round came up. So if it was a hard boss, have fun getting wrecked while there's nothing you can do because it just healed to full then used three hard hitting AOE attacks. But if you've made yourself strong enough then you just get to sit there for like three minutes watching really long and uninteresting attack animations while waiting for the next turn.

Also the story is borderline non-existent and just kind of happens halfway through the game. By the time an NPC was like "Oh right, there's an evil guy" I had already hit the game's level cap of 20. That's pretty much how it happens to, one of the characters literally just remembers that there's a bad guy. Then he does a bad thing so you have to go kill him. Then you do after a few hours of doing gently caress all nothing. Then the game is over.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

SinineSiil posted:

Broforce definitely runs like crap on PS4 which I asssume he's playing on.

Nope, I'm running it on a desktop with a 3.5GHz i5 CPU, 8GB RAM, and a GTX970. It can run Overwatch on Ultra with a consistent 70FPS. There's no particular reason it should be running like poo poo, but it does. I also have problems with other games like Action Henk and Borderlands 2, and I've never been able to figure out why.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
when you play Borderlands 2, do you use physx at all? if so, that's why it runs terribly.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

spit on my clit posted:

when you play Borderlands 2, do you use physx at all? if so, that's why it runs terribly.

I turned PhysX off and it didn't help at all.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inco posted:

Nope, I'm running it on a desktop with a 3.5GHz i5 CPU, 8GB RAM, and a GTX970. It can run Overwatch on Ultra with a consistent 70FPS. There's no particular reason it should be running like poo poo, but it does. I also have problems with other games like Action Henk and Borderlands 2, and I've never been able to figure out why.

before i got my current graphics card, the one i had before caused the weirdest soft locks with max payne 3 and missing graphics in strider of all things.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Broforce giving every single human character a chronic case of Tumblr Nose annoys me to an unreasonable degree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_loRDrWCv10

The fact that it even extends to a character with red skin is like beyond self-parody.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

Broforce giving every single human character a chronic case of Tumblr Nose annoys me to an unreasonable degree.

Which artist started this trend anyway? Because it genuinely annoys me when people draw noses like a block of clay just glued on a face. Even worse when they start just coloring it randomly so the easiest way to identify which character is which is by the neon shape on their face.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Nuebot posted:

Which artist started this trend anyway? Because it genuinely annoys me when people draw noses like a block of clay just glued on a face. Even worse when they start just coloring it randomly so the easiest way to identify which character is which is by the neon shape on their face.

The common line of thought is that it's not any one particular artist that started it so much as that the internet echo chamber effect taking what was once a common technique to make exaggerated cartoon character proportions stand out and cranked it up to 11 through imitation. That and if you're a young kid just getting into drawing its a way of making noses stand out when you don't have the technical skill to do it otherwise so a lot of self-taught amateur Tumblr artists splash red all over everyones' noses out of habit.

Either way the bright red noses are super incongruous with Broforce's tone unless everybody is also supposed to have a really bad cold.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I always just assumed it was all the arty kids for whom Wind Waker was a really formative game :shrug:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Broforce owns. The noses are stupid though yeah.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I didn't even know it was that much of a trend but I did immediately think of Penny Arcade first, and second, and all the way to the end of the list.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I always just assumed it was started by the Muppets. Wasn't orange the go-to color for most of their noses?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

I didn't even know it was that much of a trend but I did immediately think of Penny Arcade first, and second, and all the way to the end of the list.

But PA doesn't do those noses?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

But PA doesn't do those noses?

Gabe changed his art style a while ago. Strips before this one had redder noses. It looks like he's trying to go for a John K/ Tex Avery loose style, but there's barely any structure to his characters now.

My Lovely Horse posted:

when i think tumblr nose i think owlturd, the most self-deprecating webcomic ever.

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Feb 24, 2017

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
hi, im owlturd

HI IM LIFE IM BIG AND BLUE AND IM MAD AND IVE GOT "LIFE" WRITTEN ON MY BODY

oh dear, this will cause my face to have an exaggerated expression in the next panel.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Man these are my favorite things dragging down video games

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What? I thought this was the bad webcomics thread. gently caress

Expert Quests in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 are the most infuriating thing to get through, not because they're hard, but because there's so many of them, yet they're mostly the same thing right up until like EQ 15.

Up until EQ 15, you have bosses that will:

-Do an attack that hits every party member for massive damage unless you have a variant of the "energy dome" evasive skill
-Start an attack that will put any nearby fighters in a mind control state, which you can break your friends out of by punching them. If you don't punch them before they've been fully controlled, you'll have to defeat a CPU copy of them, while they fight a CPU copy of themselves. Either CPU being defeated results in the player being freed.
-Send you to a different area to fight a strong minion/a bunch of annoying, smaller minions that give you extra time
-Launch a giant ki blast that you can either ram into to slow it down, or fire ki blasts of your own at it (Perfect Kamehameha is excellent against these, in fact, max power Perfect Cell is the best for EQs as he can keep spamming Perfect Kamehamehas/Super Spirit Bombs)

The next expert quest, however, changes up things a lot. You fight FIVE "supervillain" bosses. Broly, Omega Shenron, Pure Buu, Golden Frieza (gently caress THIS rear end in a top hat IN PARTICULAR), and Janemba. The first three fights are nothing. I can do them solo in about two minutes for each one, and they reward me a minute every time I beat one of them. Then we get to Gold Frieza. His expert quest gimmick is that he's faster than pretty much any opponent you'd ever fight, meaning that any attacks that don't come out instantly like the Death Beam or the Tyrant Lancer, are worthless. It takes SO LONG to work him down, because he has like five entire health bars, that by the time Janemba shows up, he does the "send you to a different area" bullshit, where you fight Majin Vegeta, and then you go to ANOTHER area to fight Towa. Maybe there's a third area, but I wouldn't know because I ran out of time fighting those two. They weren't even hard, but the kicker is that they did not award me with any time for beating them

You're supposed to do these expert quests with other people, except they've already gotten the reward they needed for beating it, within the week the game came out. tl;dr i need to git gud

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Man these are my favorite things dragging down video games

Oh come on, don't you remember all the tumblr nose in Assassin's Creed Unity?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Didn't know Tycho Brahe was in an Assassin's Creed.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

spit on my clit posted:

Expert Quests in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2

To make things worse, the next two EQ is piss easy thanks to the generous time and surprisingly weak foes.
I think the best way to do EQ 15 is to have Super Guard which makes you immune to all damage as long you are using it.
They can ignore attacks by Z-Vanishing all the time. It took me 21 tries to beat this EQ. I am not a fan of it and I am convinced that it was supposed to be the final EQ.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I should really go back and finish the first Xenoverse, that game was much better than it had any right to be. I gave it up when I finally had internet again and could play other poo poo more reliably.

On that note, any developer that requires an always-on connection for a single player campaign mode should die in a fire. CoD:MW3 is a game that is surprisingly fun and unique even among the other MW games and it was ludicrous that when I was stuck with an awful ISP I couldn't even play single player - any time it dropped connection for even a second it would shunt you to the main menu.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

On that note, any developer that requires an always-on connection for a single player campaign mode should die in a fire. CoD:MW3 is a game that is surprisingly fun and unique even among the other MW games and it was ludicrous that when I was stuck with an awful ISP I couldn't even play single player - any time it dropped connection for even a second it would shunt you to the main menu.

is this an issue with the new HITMAN? it's scores are all over the place on steam.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

What? I thought this was the bad webcomics thread. gently caress

Expert Quests in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 are the most infuriating thing to get through, not because they're hard, but because there's so many of them, yet they're mostly the same thing right up until like EQ 15.

For me, the expert quests are all literally broken. Especially the ones where you fight giant apes.

See the thing is, the enemy at certain HP thresholds do cinematic super attacks and you have to get into a laser beam battle with them or something. Except it just doesn't work. The enemies never come back to the map after that and there's nothing I can do but quit the match, try again and hope the game doesn't gently caress up this time.

Also the raid quests in Xenoverse 2 are really stupid and really bad. In theory it's not awful, an event where people can team up to earn points and rewards. Cool! But then they only show up for like half a day at seemingly random time periods so if you have to work, or do anything really, at all that day you're hosed and won't be able to earn any of the rewards.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Action Tortoise posted:

is this an issue with the new HITMAN? it's scores are all over the place on steam.

They somewhat recently made small improvements to lessen the gap between offline and online play, but you still pretty much end up stuck with a crippled version of the game if your connection drops, yeah.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nuebot posted:

For me, the expert quests are all literally broken. Especially the ones where you fight giant apes.

See the thing is, the enemy at certain HP thresholds do cinematic super attacks and you have to get into a laser beam battle with them or something. Except it just doesn't work. The enemies never come back to the map after that and there's nothing I can do but quit the match, try again and hope the game doesn't gently caress up this time.

Also the raid quests in Xenoverse 2 are really stupid and really bad. In theory it's not awful, an event where people can team up to earn points and rewards. Cool! But then they only show up for like half a day at seemingly random time periods so if you have to work, or do anything really, at all that day you're hosed and won't be able to earn any of the rewards.

What i've heard is that setting your refresh rate to <60hz works. The story was literally unplayable until I did that, and for some reason, it just worked. I just run the game windowed at about the same size, not really any difference other than the border

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I had to do whichever of the EQs teaches you about the giant ki blast thing twice. The first time I was beating up on the big monkey and I guess I got too close to the edge of the arena or something because when the blast fired it clipped through the world, meaning I could never ram my dumb face into it so I could never progress the mission. I just saw the lock-on reticule get further and further away from me forever. Good stuff.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
I beat EQ 15 after a billion tries by just cheesing the hell out of it.

SV2 + BBK spam +that healing ultimate and that shield super.

Even then, it took me like 5 tries with this strategy to win, and I didnt get the extra fight with Mira cause at that point I just wanted to loving clear the mission. That and getting the ultimate finish for PQ 99 sucked big time.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

I should really go back and finish the first Xenoverse, that game was much better than it had any right to be. I gave it up when I finally had internet again and could play other poo poo more reliably.

Just set Steam to Offline mode if you're having a problem. MW3 shouldn't need a constant connection for SP.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

the culminator posted:

I beat EQ 15 after a billion tries by just cheesing the hell out of it.

SV2 + BBK spam +that healing ultimate and that shield super.

Even then, it took me like 5 tries with this strategy to win, and I didnt get the extra fight with Mira cause at that point I just wanted to loving clear the mission. That and getting the ultimate finish for PQ 99 sucked big time.

SV2? BBK? healing ultimate? i have no idea what any of these are-wait...extra fight with mira? YOU MEAN THERE'S POTENTIALLY MORE AFTER JANEMBA?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
In Xenoverse 2, I never had any glitches for the quests except in multiplayer sometimes the enemies won't spawn the next part of the encounter, eventually someone will quit and then it'll immediately spawn. My issues with both of the games is its touted as having a bunch of customization for uniforms but really the only customization you have is either you can look exactly like a person from the DBZ universe or like 4 different outfits.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Broforce owns. The noses are stupid though yeah.

There was a good game in Broforce somewhere but the random bro system was garbage. You couldn't choose who you got, and half of them sucked horribly, aka all the melee guys. Then you die in one hit and switch bros. But you always change bros when you pickup an extra life (which are vital in a one hit kill game) so you might have a great bro like Robocop who can aim his shots, pick up a life, and then get stuck with neo, who punches 3 pixels to his left. It would be fine if you could swap between what bros you had rescued and only lost Robocop if you got hit as him, but nope.

During the later levels there are bullets flying from everywhere offscreen and all the melee fighters become useless

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Febreeze posted:

There was a good game in Broforce somewhere but the random bro system was garbage. You couldn't choose who you got, and half of them sucked horribly, aka all the melee guys. Then you die in one hit and switch bros. But you always change bros when you pickup an extra life (which are vital in a one hit kill game) so you might have a great bro like Robocop who can aim his shots, pick up a life, and then get stuck with neo, who punches 3 pixels to his left. It would be fine if you could swap between what bros you had rescued and only lost Robocop if you got hit as him, but nope.

During the later levels there are bullets flying from everywhere offscreen and all the melee fighters become useless

fun fact: there's a melee button. it's triangle on the ps4. the game never informs you of this, and melee bros get a WHOLE NEW set of attacks using the melee button.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Just finished Resident Evil 7 and I'm kind of bummed that it's over because it was really good.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i'm on a stealth game kick atm and i bought Styx: Master of Shadows since it was on sale this week.

it's pretty good. the level design so far is pretty big and dense and all the core mechanics are serviceable.

but...

the story is kinda weird so far. it just dumps plot and worldbuilding within the first fifteen minutes and there's no breathing room in it. it's built up like a frame story where you're being interrogated by humans, but at the same time your character has some kind of plot amnesia? and the dialog is so awkward about it.

Styx: Hey, guy I'm supposed to have know before these events, mind telling me how we met?

Guy He's Supposed To Know Before These Events: What happened, Styx? Did ya get a bump on the head? Sure, I'll tell you about it. By the way, if you run into this other guy, can you kill him? I'll never forgive him for -

Styx: gently caress, alright already! I don't need to hear your whole backstory to kill a guy.

or this nugget of dialog

Interrogator: So why did you think getting captured like this was such a good idea?
Styx: Ha, if you only knew! Which is why I'm gonna tell you *flashback to gameplay*

and the platforming can gently caress over your sneaking sometimes. the game switches between autoclimbing onto ledges you catch or waiting for you to confirm you wanna climb up, but i'm never sure which ledges will trigger auto climbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

fun fact: there's a melee button. it's triangle on the ps4. the game never informs you of this, and melee bros get a WHOLE NEW set of attacks using the melee button.

And IIRC any sword melee Bro can deflect bullets.