Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Entropic posted:

Hands up if you have ever actually set a stop on your own Beginning of Combat step on MTGO as opposed to on your opponent's.

Anyone?

They're basically just making paper rules match the MTGO defaults.

I've thought about it; since one time I accidentally left my main phase with a lethal amount of Aethertide Whales and a Spontaneous Artist on the field. Marvelous Paradox is such a dumb deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

80s James Hetfield posted:

Lol let's just make tokens of all the phase names on MTGO where you can put stops at and then at the start of each phase you slam the tokenn down on the table while bellowing to your opponent.

"UNTAP!"

(Puts token aside and pulls out the next one)

"UPKEEP!

(Puts token aide and pulls out next one)

"DRAW STEP!"

There, I have fixed Magic. Pay me WotC

Let's use chess clocks while we're at it. It's the obvious way to solve slow play! What could go wrong? It works fine for MTGO!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I like how this is only ever an issue whenever we don't have a strong, relevant build around card with the words "at the beginning of [your/the] combat step" loving printed on them.

Case in point, Goblin Rabblemaster, Desecration Demon.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Entropic posted:

Let's use chess clocks while we're at it. It's the obvious way to solve slow play! What could go wrong? It works fine for MTGO!

Table judges now carry cattle prods. If your turn takes more than 45 seconds they jam it into your armpit

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Count Bleck posted:

I like how this is only ever an issue whenever we don't have a strong, relevant build around card with the words "at the beginning of [your/the] combat step" loving printed on them.

Case in point, Goblin Rabblemaster, Desecration Demon.

Right, because people will then actually have a reason to care about it instead of pretending to care about it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

80s James Hetfield posted:

Table judges now carry cattle prods. If your turn takes more than 45 seconds they jam it into your armpit

Violence against Magic players is the only way to play.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

MMA was very close to being worth it. Unless you were me, then you played 10 boxes and your best cards were one (1) Dark Confidant and a foil Vedalken Shackles.

I think it was the fact that there were a bunch of good value uncommons that MM2 didn't have.

Yup.

>= $5 Uncommons in MMA (per this site): Finks, Path, Spell Snare, Helix, Manamorphose
>= $5 Uncommons in MM15: Eldrazi Temple

It's not the #1 metric for measuring a set's worth but it's nice to see. I wonder if Wizards looked at the EV of MMA and purposefully designed MM15 to be lower in that regard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Jabor posted:

Requiring people to declare combat twice every time they want to attack is not going to work out.

If you want to skip phases with shortcuts I think its fair to except a drawback from time to time as the attacking player. Trying to prevent gotcha's against a defending player to moving the gotcha to the attacking player is silly. It only comes up because vehicles, manlands, and pre-combat triggers exist fairly often in this standard.

We can agree to disagree. Just makes sense to me to treat every phase with similar rules instead of doing one of them backwards.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sickening posted:

If you want to skip phases with shortcuts I think its fair to except a drawback from time to time as the attacking player. Trying to prevent gotcha's against a defending player to moving the gotcha to the attacking player is silly. It only comes up because vehicles, manlands, and pre-combat triggers exist fairly often in this standard.

We can agree to disagree. Just makes sense to me to treat every phase with similar rules instead of doing one of them backwards.

Personally, I think it makes a lot more sense to penalize a player who is deliberately trying to muddy the water in order to gain an edge, as opposed to penalizing an innocent player for assuming their opponent was acting in good faith. That's just me though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Jabor posted:

Personally, I think it makes a lot more sense to penalize a player who is deliberately trying to muddy the water in order to gain an edge, as opposed to penalizing an innocent player for assuming their opponent was acting in good faith. That's just me though.

I agree with you on that.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If they wanted to troll MTGFinance, they'd reprint Mishra's Bauble at common in MM17.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Let me see if I have this right: basically, you have to tell your opponent what you're going to do in a future phase, letting them preempt it, before actually being able to go that phase?

That seems counterintuitive, especially when it works very differently online.

If someone says "go to beginning of combat" they shouldn't have to say what they plan to do there to get the priority that the rules grant them, I'd think.

If they don't explicitly say "beginning of combat" and instead say "combat", you get the murky hell that started this whole mess, but I feel like it's weird that the physical game apparently disallows something that the online version allows.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

GeneX posted:

Let me see if I have this right: basically, you have to tell your opponent what you're going to do in a future phase, letting them preempt it, before actually being able to go that phase?
I asked above, but I would love an example of them taking advantage of this information that doesn't involve the active player just trying to use the ambiguity of where they were in the turn. (Like hoping they use a kill spell in your main so you can take advantage (eg: remove a pacifism on a better creature maybe?) because 99% of the time when you go to combat you're declaring attackers).

This is a genuine ask, I'm not trolling. I can't think of one right now.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GeneX posted:

If someone says "go to beginning of combat" they shouldn't have to say what they plan to do there to get the priority that the rules grant them, I'd think.

If they don't explicitly say "beginning of combat" and instead say "combat", you get the murky hell that started this whole mess, but I feel like it's weird that the physical game apparently disallows something that the online version allows.

If you let people play the same word game with "beginning of combat" and "combat" that they used to play with "combat" and "attacks", you haven't actually solved anything.

Just do stuff in your main phase unless you have an actual reason to want to do it in the beginning of combat step.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

If you let people play the same word game with "I am going to pass priority in my main phase. If you also pass, we will go to my beginning of combat, where I want to retain priority. I don't want to declare attackers yet. Once I pass priority there, you will have the chance to do things like tap my creatures before I declare attackers. I pass priority." and "combat" that they used to play with "combat" and "attacks", you haven't actually solved anything.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If you let people play the same word game with "I am going to pass priority in my main phase. If you also pass, we will go to my beginning of combat, where I want to retain priority. I don't want to declare attackers yet. Once I pass priority there, you will have the chance to do things like tap my creatures before I declare attackers. I pass priority." and "combat" that they used to play with "combat" and "attacks", you haven't actually solved anything.

Have you figured out where exactly you want to draw the line, or is just "somewhere in between these two"?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

GeneX posted:

If you activate your Mutavault in your main phase, how is that any different from saying "activate Mutavault in beginning of combat?" Absolutely nothing changes. Either way your opponent is going to be able to do whatever they wanted to and you have to act first. Why is this so hard to understand?

Entropic posted:

You may have a gambling problem.

It was fun to draft?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Jabor posted:

Have you figured out where exactly you want to draw the line, or is just "somewhere in between these two"?

The line is, I think very simple. State why you the AP need to stop in beginning of combat, like "activate raging ravine, trigger rabblemaster, trigger toolcraft exmplar crew heart of kiran" If there is no reason that isn't "I'm trying to gotcha my opponent" then you are fine either doing most things in main phase like activating a man land, or just being explicit about your trigger you need to acknowledge in beginning of combat. Judges aren't going to screw you if you go "begin combat, exemplar trigger, then crew heart"

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

suicidesteve posted:

If you activate your Mutavault in your main phase, how is that any different from saying "activate Mutavault in beginning of combat?" Absolutely nothing changes. Either way your opponent is going to be able to do whatever they wanted to and you have to act first. Why is this so hard to understand?

But what about the reverse sorceries that can only be cast during the opponent's main phase now they get to use those!!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jabor, if it will get you to stop pretending this is an unsolvable slippery slope, I'll suggest explicitly specifying that you don't mean declare attackers as the line to draw. "Combat, but not declare attackers" seems pretty drat unambiguous and ungameable, and I'm not sure what the benefit is of not letting you say that.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jabor, if it will get you to stop pretending this is an unsolvable slippery slope, I'll suggest explicitly specifying that you don't mean declare attackers as the line to draw. "Combat, but not declare attackers" seems pretty drat unambiguous and ungameable, and I'm not sure what the benefit is of not letting you say that.

The benefit is that it doesn't allow you to try to word game the opponent into doing things in your main phase while having no real downside.

Edit: Like I said above, I don't have a problem with this as long as you do something. But even then, anything you did probably could have been done main phase so you just wasted like 30 seconds changing phases for no reason.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 24, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

That seems like a reasonable start.

Is "combat, not attackers" sufficient?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

suicidesteve posted:

The benefit is that it doesn't allow you to try to word game the opponent into doing things in your main phase while having no real downside.

How are you getting word-gamed into doing anything by someone who is explicitly spelling out for you that they're not moving to declare attackers yet?

Jabor posted:

That seems like a reasonable start.

Is "combat, not attackers" sufficient?

Sure, anything that specifically denies moving to the attackers phase.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sure, anything that specifically denies moving to the attackers phase.

Okay. What about "*mumble mumble* attackers?"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

How are you getting word-gamed into doing anything by someone who is explicitly spelling out for you that they're not moving to declare attackers yet?
Because it was never done that way and it was never explicit until recently. I think we can both agree that being explicit here is good, which is exactly what the change is doing. But let's not pretend that anyone ever actually said "combat, before attackers..." as a rule. You had a couple do that, but in the years I spent playing competitive magic, it was understood that it was meant to be ambiguous unless said otherwise. That people thought themselves clever for doing so. People would regularly say "combat?" and the NAP had to play a guessing game of what they meant. The onus should be on the AP, not the NAP, to be explicit. The rule change does that, and it actually makes people say "BOC, I....", which is exactly what you yourself want people to do in your example, unlike before.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Magic the Gathering: Combat?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jabor posted:

Okay. What about "*mumble mumble* attackers?"

No more an issue under my proposal than it is under the current rules. The current rules let you say "I'll use [ability] in beginning of combat before attackers", but you don't seem concerned about people saying the first half of that under their breath or in swedish.

Chill la Chill posted:

Because it was never done that way and it was never explicit until recently. I think we can both agree that being explicit here is good, which is exactly what the change is doing. But let's not pretend that anyone ever actually said "combat, before attackers..." as a rule. You had a couple do that, but in the years I spent playing competitive magic, it was understood that it was meant to be ambiguous unless said otherwise. That people thought themselves clever for doing so. People would regularly say "combat?" and the NAP had to play a guessing game of what they meant. The onus should be on the AP, not the NAP, to be explicit. The rule change does that, and it actually makes people say "BOC, I....", which is exactly what you yourself want people to do in your example, unlike before.

The issue is that the current rules don't let you move to beginning of combat even if you're being explicit. See the block of legalese that started this discussion.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The issue is that the current rules don't let you move to beginning of combat even if you're being explicit. See the block of legalese that started this discussion.

If you have nothing to do there, why do you care? What benefit is there to going there instead of doing it in the main phase?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

they only don't let you move to the beginning of combat if you're going to then go '...and i pass priority'

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

If you have nothing to do there, why do you care? What benefit is there to going there instead of doing it in the main phase?

let players go to the beginning of combat as active players but disqualify every single person who ever does it with nothing to do for slow play

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Me, in the tank playing against a non-blue player who can't possibly have a cryptic command:
*thinks* Hm I will activate my celestial colonnade in my main phase*
!!!!!
No...I will activate it in my beginning of combat, much classier
*nods sagely*

Opponent, thinking: !!! He has done it in his beginning of combat, and not the main phase! He is truly a force to be reckoned with!
*readies summoning gauntlet for the path to exile which will hit it no matter which phase it is activated in*

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 24, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

No more an issue under my proposal than it is under the current rules. The current rules let you say "I'll use [ability] in beginning of combat before attackers", but you don't seem concerned about people saying the first half of that under their breath or in swedish.

It's about incentives. There's no incentive to be unclear that you're activating an ability, the best case is exactly the same as if you were clear about it, and there are plenty of potential downsides. On the other hand, there are big upsides for you if you trick your opponent into acting at the wrong time, but no real downsides.

If someone is deliberately muddying the waters, they should be the ones disadvantaged by that, not their opponent.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Chill la Chill posted:

If you have nothing to do there, why do you care?
Take a good, long look at this card.

Do you see that ability that triggers at the beginning of combat phase? That's why people care. Because that card, when its ability triggers, is able to crew vehicles, or attack for 3, and both of those are relevant to Standard right now.

I literally say, "Beginning of combat phase" when I play Magic, then I "declare attackers" and now I'm being told that apparently I've been doing it wrong this whole time because some judge in greater Fuckistan said so.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I've read every post in this thread and I'm very confused. What's the big deal with passing priority in the main, then getting it back in the pre-construction phase or whatever. Even if 99% of the time there's no difference between doing something in your main and doing it then, wouldn't it be consistent to let players go there?

Veyrall posted:

I literally say, "Beginning of combat phase" when I play Magic, then I "declare attackers" and now I'm being told that apparently I've been doing it wrong this whole time because some judge in greater Fuckistan said so.

This is what I don't get. What's so objectionable about this phrasing?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Veyrall posted:

Take a good, long look at this card.

Do you see that ability that triggers at the beginning of combat phase? That's why people care. Because that card, when its ability triggers, is able to crew vehicles, or attack for 3, and both of those are relevant to Standard right now.

e: This was initially overly snarky, sorry about that.

The gist of it is that nothing about the shortcut prevents you from doing what you want with Toolcraft Exemplar. If you say "combat?", and your opponent says "sure", you end up in the beginning of combat step just after the exemplar trigger has resolved. See the earlier discussion starting from here.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 24, 2017

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

That explicitly wasn't what happened with the On camera match that caused it, Combat lead to declare attackers with no chance to crew a heart and get the +X/0 trigger from one of the players creatures

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Stormgale posted:

That explicitly wasn't what happened with the On camera match that caused it, Combat lead to declare attackers with no chance to crew a heart and get the +X/0 trigger from one of the players creatures

Targeted triggers work differently - you have to acknowledge them (by choosing a target) when they happen. You need to at least point out their existence when you propose combat (e.g. "combat, trigger Weldfast Engineer"), otherwise they're missed. And if you've missed the trigger there's nothing on the stack to resolve, so straight into declare attackers.

Note that the player in question completely and absolutely played themselves, since even if the shortcut wasn't a thing at all they would still have been unable to pump their vehicle with the trigger. Which goes back to my earlier comment where the shortcut only affects people negatively when they to be unnecessarily clever for no reason at all.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Jabor posted:

Targeted triggers work differently - you have to acknowledge them (by choosing a target) when they happen. You need to at least point out their existence when you propose combat (e.g. "combat, trigger Weldfast Engineer"), otherwise they're missed. And if you've missed the trigger there's nothing on the stack to resolve, so straight into declare attackers.

Note that the player in question completely and absolutely played themselves, since even if the shortcut wasn't a thing at all they would still have been unable to pump their vehicle with the trigger. Which goes back to my earlier comment where the shortcut only affects people negatively when they to be unnecessarily clever for no reason at all.

I think the punishment for making a bad play should be constrained to the actual consequences of the route the player chooses to take. Like that dude totally messed up by trying to be too cute, but it seemed like poor sportsmanship from his opponent to call a judge to further punish the play by moving the game to declaring attackers when that clearly wasn't his opponent's intent.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

akulanization posted:

I hope you are interpreting the post correctly and I'm wrong, I read the third paragraph as a strong statement that using the word "Combat" takes you to declare attackers even if that would not be normal procedure.

Yes, you absolutely did interpret my post incorrectly and Jabor's interpretation is right: I didn't rule on the Toolcraft Exemplar funtime. It's also not the first time you've misinterpreted that post :shrug:

Everyone just needs to stop having huge ego boners for doing stuff in beginning of combat (and WotC needs to stop printing cards that do stuff at the start of combat)

akulanization posted:

I think the punishment for making a bad play should be constrained to the actual consequences of the route the player chooses to take. Like that dude totally messed up by trying to be too cute, but it seemed like poor sportsmanship from his opponent to call a judge to further punish the play by moving the game to declaring attackers when that clearly wasn't his opponent's intent.

The consequences of choosing to go to combat is that you're proposing you're in the beginning of combat step with your opponent holding priority. It's loving Professional REL, you're entirely expected to know how Tournament Shortcuts work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Yup.

>= $5 Uncommons in MMA (per this site): Finks, Path, Spell Snare, Helix, Manamorphose
>= $5 Uncommons in MM15: Eldrazi Temple

It's not the #1 metric for measuring a set's worth but it's nice to see. I wonder if Wizards looked at the EV of MMA and purposefully designed MM15 to be lower in that regard.
Wouldn't prices in MMA be higher in general due to the set not being printed to meet demand?

• Locked thread