Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I found some birds on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

omg

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Makes me think of a cleaner wrasse.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Holy poo poo this is so magical :stare:

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Forgive me if it's been covered but I've been researching parrots/birds and I'm trying to pinpoint exactly how long you can leave a parrot alone for. There are a lot of warnings not to leave them alone 'all day' or for 'long periods of time' but obviously people are still leaving the house and going to work, so I'm wondering what the threshold is and how you guys manage it. Obviously different birds will have different requirements of course.

Full disclosure: I have no plans to buy a parrot anytime soon. My lifestyle and work schedule would not be fair to a bird. I'd have to have a different job before I could become a bird dad.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I've left my bird home alone for a weekend before and didn't feel like he was unduly traumatized when I got back 48 hours later. Thats about the most I'd feel comfortable with.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Agent355 posted:

I've left my bird home alone for a weekend before and didn't feel like he was unduly traumatized when I got back 48 hours later. Thats about the most I'd feel comfortable with.

Was this completely unattended and what kind of bird was it?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Conure once and cockatiel once, the being two separate occasions. Both left alone, both had plenty of food and water and were super glad to see me when I got back. I left early saturday and returned late sunday and they were fine.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It completely depends on the individual bird, though obviously each species will have its own tendancies.

My lilac-crowned amazon, Auri, does not mind being left alone for extended periods of time simply because she is not particularly social. Being a perch potato, she is quite happy to sit alone in the quiet and look outside all day. That's mostly what she does when I am home anyway. The conure I used to have, a dusky conure, could only barely stand having me gone to work all day and then would be a clingy velcrobirb for half the time I was home in the evenings before her bedtime (the other half of the time she'd busy herself with eating or playing with toys as close to me as possible)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There won't be one right answer, other than "it depends". Basically birds tend towards being quite intelligent and social, so if they don't have someone to interact with, they're going to get depressed or develop other mental illnesses.

On an average week day, I spend 15-30 minutes in the morning in the same room as my two cockatiels, then away at work for 8 hours. In the afternoon I usually let them out for 1-2 hours to roam in the living room, and then another 3-4 hours until I cover the cage for the night. That makes for around 5-6 hours of not-alone time for them daily.
It seems like this is barely adequate, and it's only in rare occasions I leave them alone for more than 12 hours. I've had a camera on the cage while I'm off for work for a while now, and they definitely look very bored most of the time.

So uh I guess my experience is, if you live alone, birds are like being chained to your home.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

My conure was crafted from velcro, feathers, and superglue, but he's okay with me working regular 6 - 8 hour shifts five days a week. I take him out in the morning while I get ready, and then he goes back in his cage until I come home. I let him out when I come in the door and then he's glued to me until bird bedtime. Weekends we're together for the majority of the day. Despite his clinginess he's actually pretty low maintenance: he'll just tuck himself in my hand or against my face and he's perfectly happy to doze for a while. Sometimes he scampers around on my desk and chases my fingers. He's really fond of keeping me company on days when I sleep in or take a nap -- he gets excited whenever we go into the bedroom and if I seem like I'm headed to the bed he'll purr. Conure purrs are really cute, by the way.

I think having a routine is what's important. Also consider that leaving the cage open when you're home and letting them do their thing (with supervision as necessary) is totally appropriate. They don't need to be constantly entertained when they're out like a dog might.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Conures purr?!

Holy crap :kimchi:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

not my video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2o88EGQM3Y

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

We sometimes leave Teeka the cockatoo alone for a whole day, but not over night. He is super not happy about it and lets us know in no uncertain terms how upset he is. He is a social bird, he needs interaction, but he can tolerate the occasional day alone

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

My conure was crafted from velcro, feathers, and superglue, but he's okay with me working regular 6 - 8 hour shifts five days a week. I take him out in the morning while I get ready, and then he goes back in his cage until I come home. I let him out when I come in the door and then he's glued to me until bird bedtime. Weekends we're together for the majority of the day. Despite his clinginess he's actually pretty low maintenance: he'll just tuck himself in my hand or against my face and he's perfectly happy to doze for a while. Sometimes he scampers around on my desk and chases my fingers. He's really fond of keeping me company on days when I sleep in or take a nap -- he gets excited whenever we go into the bedroom and if I seem like I'm headed to the bed he'll purr. Conure purrs are really cute, by the way.

I think having a routine is what's important. Also consider that leaving the cage open when you're home and letting them do their thing (with supervision as necessary) is totally appropriate. They don't need to be constantly entertained when they're out like a dog might.

This mirrors my experience with owning a GCC. I'm ok with leaving her alone overnight but if it was any longer she would come with us or we'd get a sitter.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think we only left Loki alone for more than 24 hours once (when we got married), but both Loki and Yoshi have been needy in terms of attention because we kind of raised them that way. They expect us to come home after work and spend time with them, so when we go to a baseball game or a play or something, he looks at us like "Where the hell were the both of you? I don't know how to microwave my vegetables! I was about to call the police!"

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo :pusheen:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

This is one of my favourite tumblrs, a pro follow :syoon:

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
I went to the vet today to buy some Harrison's and there was a cage in the lobby with two tiels in it. Both were floofed up and looked like they were recuperating. I tried talking to them but they kept their eyes closed. Then I whistled. Their eyes flew wide open and immediately started whistling back and making kiss kiss kiss noises. It was super cute and I spent more time whistling with them than I did chatting with the vet tech.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Tendai posted:

Conures purr?!

Oh yeah, ravens seem to do that too!

https://twitter.com/ravenmaster1/status/828672878233141249

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
griddle bit me on the nose last night when i was trying to listen to her purr, thanks a lot you guys :(

it bled a lot :(

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Heat is off in my apartment today, potentially all day, no space heater, and it's 15F outside. I have the birdcages covered with blankets and insulated as well as I can but I'm worried about them and the birds are so mad I'm not letting them out.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Mirthless posted:

griddle bit me on the nose last night when i was trying to listen to her purr, thanks a lot you guys :(

lol

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

subpar anachronism posted:

Heat is off in my apartment today, potentially all day, no space heater, and it's 15F outside. I have the birdcages covered with blankets and insulated as well as I can but I'm worried about them and the birds are so mad I'm not letting them out.

They'll be fine, they can handle cold better than you give them credit for.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I didn't work today but I visited my best girl anyway

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

subpar anachronism posted:

When this happened to me I discovered my PC makes a decent space heater when running Folding at Home on CPU and GPU. A 200mm case fan at full speed can move a lot of air.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Mochi decided he was not having any of that anyway and pulled a Houdini. When I looked up a second ago he was peeking out from under the blanket at the edge of the seed catcher. He opened his food door from the inside somehow. Birbs.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I think you're going to have to talk to Amadeus about an addition to your household because my goodness that is a pretty lady.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Oh my god look at that cloud.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

awwww yisss

To switch to actual things instead of just reactions, a friend threw my name in the ring as a possible rehoming for one of many birds displaced by an aviary owner's suicide. I said that I think I have a handle on the basics but I'd want to talk more about my boat living situation with current caretakers before saying yes I am 100% on board. So we'll see what happens and if I get to meet some birbs I will gladly relay what I can here to y'all in the photo and story department.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Mookie the 'too is fine being left alone for up to 72 hours occasionally, though by God we'd better have treats and toys and snuggles ready when we get back. He gets boarded for anything like than that, though. My normal 12-hour shifts don't seem to bother him much.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It begins. Give yourself over to the cloud.

Mirthless posted:

Mookie got my nose once, too. That was a fun trip right back to work. My bird bites are the stuff of legend among other staff.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Ahhh fluffy girl :3:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From PYF.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Trebuchet King posted:

awwww yisss

To switch to actual things instead of just reactions, a friend threw my name in the ring as a possible rehoming for one of many birds displaced by an aviary owner's suicide. I said that I think I have a handle on the basics but I'd want to talk more about my boat living situation with current caretakers before saying yes I am 100% on board. So we'll see what happens and if I get to meet some birbs I will gladly relay what I can here to y'all in the photo and story department.

Oh my god. I heard you alluding to this the other day and didn't get details. I'm SO excited for you, friend and neighbor!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Goffins amaze me. They have a soft and adorable appearance; small size, babyish proportions, big dark eyes, rosy face, and even their crest looks silly.

But they may be the cleverest of all cockatoos. (That article has a lot of specifics on the intricacies of their decision-making)

They seem incredibly easy to fall in love with.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Tendai posted:

Conures purr?!

Skiiba will make that noise sometimes when she really enjoys a scratch, but most of the time I hear that noise when she is trying to back up into things and rub her birb booty :gonk:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Are there easy-to-replicate budgie cognition studies? As Yoshi has been trying to learn to whistle Epona's song, I've gotten more and more interested in his dino brain.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 25, 2017

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Mizuti posted:

Goffins amaze me. They have a soft and adorable appearance; small size, babyish proportions, big dark eyes, rosy face, and even their crest looks silly.

But they may be the cleverest of all cockatoos. (That article has a lot of specifics on the intricacies of their decision-making)

They seem incredibly easy to fall in love with.

That article is really interesting, also the picture in your post has a lot of fingat blood on the plywood

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

You are all way better at taking photos of your birds than I am. I finally managed to get a few videos of Yoshi by distracting him with my Claddagh ring, but I juuuuuust missed one of his best sentences, "I'm a dinosaur!"

Please excuse the terrible lighting, amateur video quality, the sound quality that requires turning volume to 11 just to hear it, and my Red Sox pajama pants:

Mostly Budgie burbles, with a clear "Yoshiiiii!" at the end.
An attempt at "Excuuuse me, princess!" that is a long way from his best. You have to be prompted to even know that's what he's going for, but dang it, he's trying so hard. :shobon:
Beep and "Hiii!". Yoshi sometimes just gets in moods where he cheerfully beeps, but normally "Beep-beep-beep!" is him doing a little anger.