Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

fun fact about Katy Perry:

she was a Christian alternative artist before he made it big

What's Christian alternative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I taek picture of hellish landscape from my living room window.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Lawman 0 posted:

Smells Like Holy Spirit

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Robert Plant posted:

Oh boy Friday and Trump's atweetin what am I gonna drink tonight??

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/835120754349965312

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

is it his name maybe

bigsucks bonerbelt

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017
would be lol if trump's only real connection to putin was just that he was a really big fan

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

crazy cloud posted:

No, foundation owns sorry my punctuation was fucky

I mean that the little prince is overrated. The little prince is foundation, with the key difference that tlp is for cux

excellllent

the oprder i'm taking is based on this

"I think neither the published order nor the chronological order do the series justice.

I always have recommended the series in the following order:

I, Robot (some lists omit this, but this is really the "origin" story of this universe - The Complete Robot can be substituted here, since it contains the same stories as I, Robot)
The Elijah Baley series (which obliquely tells the story of Earth's first robotic forays into space)
The Galactic Empire trilogy (since these 3 books are unconnected to each other, besides taking place in the same general universe, this series can really be read in any order)
The original Foundation Trilogy
Foundation's Edge
Foundation and Earth (To me, that is really marks the end of the best of the work, and you can stop there. Or, you can proceed to the later additions to the series, which I find do not hold up as well as the others.)
Prelude to Foundation
Forward the Foundation
The reason I like this order is that it preserves the chronology of the reader's discovery of the story. Neither the publication order nor the pure chronological order do this - Prelude and Forward are far weaker entries, and remove some of the mystery the first-time reader would have going into the first Foundation book. Part of the enjoyment of the Foundation novel is that you don't know who Seldon is, in those opening scenes on Trantor, or what role he's going to play in the story. If you read Prelude and Forward first, you'll already have an earful about Trantor and Seldon before you get to Seldon's introduction through Gaal Dornick's eyes in Foundation. I'm also completely ignoring the non-Asimov entries, which in my opinion don't add much to the series.

If you've already read the original Foundation trilogy, I'd recommend going back to the other series before finishing with Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth.

For those who have already read the books, I could see some merit in reading them chronologically, but for those who are new to the series, I highly recommend ignoring both the publication order and Asimov's own suggestion on reading order."

So basically after reading through everything and finishing up Empire I will start with the ORIGINAL Foundation books, with the idea that I can add Prelude etc after the fact

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

friendo do you not know gnosticism

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Lawman 0 posted:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

titties bouncin' but side hugs

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Lawman 0 posted:

protestantism

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mariana Horchata posted:

why dont i own this?!

GOOD QUESTION

do u like drinking a lot and building parts of cars before you drunkenly fall into Finnish septic tanks?

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Doomtalker posted:

Can you guarantee that?!?

listen, i'm something of an expert on trump's dick. I've read every word he's said on the subject, I've heard the testimonials. Trump having a fantastic penis is practically a fact at this point, ever since the veil of reality lifted.

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

America is full of loving retards that don't have direct contact with him.

If this guy was their boss they would hate him. Americans worship ceos that are not their boss.

What blows my mind is, the dude had a prime time show on a major network where you got to see him being a lovely rear end in a top hat of a boss first hand. Manufactured sure, but the dude was being the rear end in a top hat he is

I mean I only watched like half an episode that poo poo sucked but surely other people watched and remember?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Robert Plant posted:

but surely other people watched and remember?

lol

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

excellllent

the oprder i'm taking is based on this

"I think neither the published order nor the chronological order do the series justice.

I always have recommended the series in the following order:

I, Robot (some lists omit this, but this is really the "origin" story of this universe - The Complete Robot can be substituted here, since it contains the same stories as I, Robot)
The Elijah Baley series (which obliquely tells the story of Earth's first robotic forays into space)
The Galactic Empire trilogy (since these 3 books are unconnected to each other, besides taking place in the same general universe, this series can really be read in any order)
The original Foundation Trilogy
Foundation's Edge
Foundation and Earth (To me, that is really marks the end of the best of the work, and you can stop there. Or, you can proceed to the later additions to the series, which I find do not hold up as well as the others.)
Prelude to Foundation
Forward the Foundation
The reason I like this order is that it preserves the chronology of the reader's discovery of the story. Neither the publication order nor the pure chronological order do this - Prelude and Forward are far weaker entries, and remove some of the mystery the first-time reader would have going into the first Foundation book. Part of the enjoyment of the Foundation novel is that you don't know who Seldon is, in those opening scenes on Trantor, or what role he's going to play in the story. If you read Prelude and Forward first, you'll already have an earful about Trantor and Seldon before you get to Seldon's introduction through Gaal Dornick's eyes in Foundation. I'm also completely ignoring the non-Asimov entries, which in my opinion don't add much to the series.

If you've already read the original Foundation trilogy, I'd recommend going back to the other series before finishing with Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth.

For those who have already read the books, I could see some merit in reading them chronologically, but for those who are new to the series, I highly recommend ignoring both the publication order and Asimov's own suggestion on reading order."

So basically after reading through everything and finishing up Empire I will start with the ORIGINAL Foundation books, with the idea that I can add Prelude etc after the fact

lol idk any of that poo poo i got a paperback copy of Foundation at a used book store and read em in the order they were published after that. It sounds like theres some fucky phantom menace poo poo goin on where if you see stars wars ep 1 2 3 it spoils 4 and 5 so i think the person you're listening to about the order to read em in is correct

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XISxIKwnQk

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

man a big suck would start this day right

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Robert Plant posted:

What blows my mind is, the dude had a prime time show on a major network where you got to see him being a lovely rear end in a top hat of a boss first hand. Manufactured sure, but the dude was being the rear end in a top hat he is

I mean I only watched like half an episode that poo poo sucked but surely other people watched and remember?

A lot of these people would act like Donald if they had money. Trump is their rich guy fantasy selves.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

crazy cloud posted:

lol idk any of that poo poo i got a paperback copy of Foundation at a used book store and read em in the order they were published after that. It sounds like theres some fucky phantom menace poo poo goin on where if you see stars wars ep 1 2 3 it spoils 4 and 5 so i think the person you're listening to about the order to read em in is correct

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/2335/what-order-should-asimovs-foundation-series-be-read-in

It's as controversial as you could think

My initial response will be to just expose myself to things in the same order as plebs back in the day, which is what this order is

I'm content to believe that I can read the +30 year Foundation book at the end and no lose aything

I read Robots and Empire for the sake of continuity after all

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Squizzle posted:

man a big suck would start this day right

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

lovely loving music

think Pop Country but twice as bad

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

just read, readings never bad. dont worry about the order and enjoy seeing the tapestry of the whole emerge as you read in any ol order, imo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

i loved dahl's books growing up so it bummed me out to learn that he was a vile, vile motherfucker otherwise
Can you elaborate?

Lawman 0 posted:

It's alternative, but you drop religious allegories throughout so that you can tap the captive Christian market because you can't make it as a mainstream/non-denominational artist otherwise.

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

Alright I'm thinking cheap whiskey and pretty good beer, maybe that Perpetual IPA? Ooh maybe they got Racer 5 over at the Chinese place

Guys things are gonna be great until we're dead

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Squizzle posted:

just read, readings never bad. dont worry about the order and enjoy seeing the tapestry of the whole emerge as you read in any ol order, imo

I'm not terribly worried but after killing off The Stars, Like Dust I feel like I need to safeguard myself against the worst of Asimov

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

God is real, but she's a woman and her name is Eris. Fnord.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Robert Plant posted:

Alright I'm thinking cheap whiskey and pretty good beer, maybe that Perpetual IPA? Ooh maybe they got Racer 5 over at the Chinese place

Guys things are gonna be great until we're dead

Old Crow is what U.S. Grant and Mark Twain drank nearly exclusively and nearly 24/7

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/835124485632180224

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

gonna have some big sucks of coffee rn

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOtMizMQ6oM

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsI5DQ4inns

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Do you guys realize that if we killed like the 100 richest people in the world, all their children and distributed all that money equally between all people

We could all be quite well?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

side node: that little shop of horrors is one of the greatest musicals of all time

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

his drunken hatred of bannon made him weirdly endearing

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

orange sky posted:

Do you guys realize that if we killed like the 100 richest people in the world, all their children and distributed all that money equally between all people

We could all be quite well?

why kill children tho

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Squizzle posted:

why kill children tho

They'll inherit that poo poo man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five