Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i think this sale is the last chance to get all the extra campaigns free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

shiggity shiggity shwa

Soral
May 30, 2009

people with early switches are saying that controller input on the switch is being disrupted by stuff getting between the sensors on the joycon and the console...

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

elf help book posted:

i think this sale is the last chance to get all the extra campaigns free

thanks for the heads up!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

:stare:

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Soral posted:

people with early switches are saying that controller input on the switch is being disrupted by stuff getting between the sensors on the joycon and the console...

Haha, don't worry Imps. This is another of Sorals classic trolls.

Soral
May 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/834930764206624768

Soral
May 30, 2009

after this devastating bombshell about the faulty joycon, i know what i intend to do- buy a set of 4 pro controllers for my friends and i to play with. nintendo really thought of everything

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

western living room sizes are a luxury and i dont expect oriental devices to be built around them. get a hold of yourself

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lmao I read this 20+ years ago and instantly knew what it was from the first line.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qkM7Tp3IvY

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Man what's the last time a WWE game was on a Nintendo system anyway.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
very excited for wwe2k18 starring little mac

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

Raserys posted:

very excited for wwe2k18 starring little mac

Pizza Pasta imo

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

it looks like the joycons have kind of small shoulder buttons, that might work. Im holding out hope for gamecube vc because that'd be epic

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh6dgA8ACJs

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

the bluetooth issue sounds super annoying

guy on neogaf posted:

I measured how far my couch is from the dock and it's exactly 8 feet. Which begs me to believe 8ft is the sweet spot. Because the closer I get the less wonky the controls get.

I did numerous tests just now with different configurations, docked, tabletop, 6 feet, 10 feet, covering the joycon, uncovering it. What I found is hat obviously the further you get the less responsive they become. However the only really weird outlier in my testing was simply sitting 6 feet away, lounging with my hands to my side, neither joy con covered, and yet still after some time the sensing would just get completely wonky. Sitting about 4 feet away I noticed that if my hands are by my side but pointing at the screen everything's perfect but as soon as I drop my hands to a more comfortable position, the calibration once again gets weird and has a few dead spots. If I put the joycon behind my back for example, then the party's over. There's barely ever any response or all the inputs are delayed. That one is more understandable I guess since it correlates to the gamexplain video, but doesn't at all explain why it's still messing up 6 feet away when simply lounging.

I also opted to try some of these variables with the grip since I figured the grip would force me to point the joycon more so at the tv/dock but surprisingly I found out that it too had some issues. I tried holding the controller in many different ways, all comfortable ways like I imagined I would hold it if I'm playing for a long period of time. Simply holding the grip in front of me seems to work just fine, however if I decide to bring the grip up to my chest (for example when I'm laying down) so that the buttons are facing it and that the top of the controller is facing my face, it completely stops working. Right joycon can still rotate the camera but link simply won't move. So the position of the joycon seems to really play a large part in how it's detected.

Like, just now I put my phone down after reading some responses, picked up the grip with the joycon attached (I'm laying down on my couch) and I'm holding the controller very normally upright with the face buttons facing me and the top of the controller facing the ceiling, you know, a completely normally way to hold a controller, and in a menu I've already had it not register two of my inputs and three of them were delayed.

though to be honest, if I'm ever further than 8 feet from my Switch, it should send for help because I'm being kidnapped or robbed

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

the bluetooth issue sounds super annoying

though to be honest, if I'm ever further than 8 feet from my Switch, it should send for help because I'm being kidnapped or robbed

lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Shigsy you fool.... what have you done

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hamster announced that KOF 98 will be a switch launch title. 98 is approaching like Doom/RE4 status of platform availability

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Waku Waku 7 is also a launch title so gently caress all other games

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Super monkey ball 2 would be fun.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

They've had great wireless controllers for over a decade wtf is going on over there?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Blueteeth.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

They've had great wireless controllers for over a decade wtf is going on over there?

HD rumble comes at a cost

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope they get it fixed by the time the Splatoon bundles start rolling out

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

I dunno, my Wii U gamepad gradually died on me and lost range until I opened it up and replaced the little wifi board. Might just be poor quality control and not a design flaw.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Im pretty sure it uses bluetooth. Modern bluetooth can be very odd, it tries to lower power consumption by dynamically changing broadcast power. Maybe that has something to do with it? At any rate it is a simple fix.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Ninty has already responded (internally) and say it'll be fixed by release so I'm guessing they can just boost the bluetooth power via a patch. I feel like they just got a bit greedy trying to tout something like 20hrs battery life from the joy cons or something. Weird that no one really noticed it as a problem until the retail units started going out.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
it's almost certainly something they can fix in a firmware patch so my only worry remains trying to get one

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Milkman posted:

it's almost certainly something they can fix in a firmware patch so my only worry remains trying to get one

With the cover on it gets 2x range anyway so it isn't a problem anyway

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

Hamster announced that KOF 98 will be a switch launch title. 98 is approaching like Doom/RE4 status of platform availability

good

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Cartridges are back, and this time they're here to stay.

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Cartridges are back, and this time they're here to stay.

The Nintendo Switch has a lockout chip

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRBgv0vyyB4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99ZrWVRYsNo