Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

veni veni veni posted:

That's pretty rad that I'll be able to fill out some of my most glaring omissions from my SW minifigures for really cheap this year. It's weirdly generous of Lego to do Vader/palpatine in a set that is probably about $15-$20 and all of the Bounty hunters in a battle pack. usually they are so stingy with SW characters.

Lego did a similar set recently for the Marvel line. This smallish set has Cap, Vision, Hawkeye and Spider-Man.

https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Tanker-Truck-Takedown-76067

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

It could be that the prevalence of Lepin and chinese rip offs with a higher quality are basically undercutting the market for the "chaser" figures. The jorts contingent who just want all the guys to display could buy them all on the cheap instead of £20 a go on bricklink per figure, reducing the sales of the bigger sets with 1 desirable guy in (the A-wing / tie set with new Vader and Tarkin comes to mind). The only people who lose out in this arrangement are kids who can only get a few smaller sets unless their parents splash out on loads of big sets or source the knock offs themselves.

Purely speculation of course.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Sainsbury's has the entire Batman Movie line at 30-50% off today. Including the Penguin car, Clayface, all the Mighty Micros, the Riddler car, Catwoman set.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Sainsbury's has the entire Batman Movie line at 30-50% off today. Including the Penguin car, Clayface, all the Mighty Micros, the Riddler car, Catwoman set.

Picked up the Penguin car, Clayface and the Catwoman set! The Joker Balloon escape didn't appear to be reduced, or if so, it wasn't marked as such on the shelf. I might go back in a bit and get the Riddler car. :ohdear:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I so wish Lego ran the Monster Fighter line longer than they did. I'm pretty casual with my lego buildin' but I REALLY want that castle and Haunted House but egads, those prices!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Picked up the Penguin car, Clayface and the Catwoman set! The Joker Balloon escape didn't appear to be reduced, or if so, it wasn't marked as such on the shelf. I might go back in a bit and get the Riddler car. :ohdear:

I went back and got the Riddler car, the Scarecrow bike and Mr Freeze. The last two were reduced as well, but in another part of the shop. I'm so weak to bargains.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I'll need to pick some of those up. Last week I picked up the Joker low rider and Speedwagon and they are awesome! After seeing many of those movie Batmobiles in the cave within the movie, I so with they'd do a proper Keaton Batmobile!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I so wish Lego ran the Monster Fighter line longer than they did. I'm pretty casual with my lego buildin' but I REALLY want that castle and Haunted House but egads, those prices!

I got the castle super cheap from Target clearance (maybe like $45-$50) and it's pretty okay. Not spectacular. Standard base type lego set.

Wish I had had the money for the Hainted House at the time, though.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Haven't touched Bricklink in a long time and I think I really like the changes. Had a stack of sets missing a random piece or two and finding shops across multiple wanted lists is super easy.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

After seeing many of those movie Batmobiles in the cave within the movie, I so with they'd do a proper Keaton Batmobile!

All of my hopes and dreams.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Strife posted:

All of my hopes and dreams.

That's pretty cool but I like this minifig scale one better.

Can you believe this one only got 1500 votes?

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/55784

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Had a nice gift today - a friend of a friend was giving away some old lego, and it's been passed on to me. Was expecting a small amount, not a canvas bag full of things!

So far I've spotted about half the pieces from the Ice Planet base, a good part of a Y-Wing, a bunch of old finger hinges, a pullback motor, and a 4x1 light brick. This is turning out to be one hell of a parts haul!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
http://imgur.com/gallery/whL14

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I have the OG Black Seas Barracuda and several of the smaller sets, they rocked.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
My parents got me that airport in like 1998, which really just raises more questions.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have three Mega Core Magnetizers. One I bought myself, one my grandma bought me not knowing I had it, and one I got partially destroyed at Toys R Us for 10 bucks because it was torn in half and missing some of the bags(but all of the wheels/windshield, which are the only important parts). Ah, those were the days, when people didn't pilfer bags from the sets to sell the minifigs on ebay or such similar bullshit. Also the days when stores would still sell damaged items rather than just throwing them in the trash

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Barnes & Noble stores are having a 25% off sale on Lego sets over $40 (I think). Plus B&N get another 10% off. Gave in this morning and picked up Krennic's Shuttle for $60.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Oh man, I had this catalog, it was incredible. The sets I had/have are:

Black Monarch's Ghost
Forestmen's Crossing
Sabre Island
Surf n' Sail Camper
Space Shuttle
Police Patrol

I might've had a few others, kinda hard to remember if I owned the set or if my best friend did.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best part was the shop at home stuff.. I always obsessed about buying a bulk pack of more minifigs or weapons.

Though older me is drawn to the decorated pieces. 28 printed bricks for $3.75? Heck yeah.

Digging up old sears catalogs is fun too because they listed the prices for all the sets. From 1980:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
My wife still has the filled out order form for the Technic space shuttle from 20 years ago ish, but she never had the cash.

So I bought it for her a few years ago for her birthday.

She really liked it :3:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I remember when they started making knights with flip up visors I totally lost my poo poo. That one in the top pic was his own set, him and his horse were the only thing in it. He was my favorite minifigure. So elaborate.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

veni veni veni posted:

I remember when they started making knights with flip up visors I totally lost my poo poo. That one in the top pic was his own set, him and his horse were the only thing in it. He was my favorite minifigure. So elaborate.

The original knights from the yellow castle had flip up visors. Plus the horses were built from bricks. Loved that set.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

hah, I think one even predates me. I don't recognize it. That's cool though. My most memorable childhood Lego was like Blacktron and the Black castle era.

Edit: Also, 1. Those home maker sets are cool and 2. Wow lego has almost gotten cheaper. Especially if you consider inflation.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 24, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, factoring for inflation lego is much cheaper than it used to be.

This was true even before sets turned into 50% 1x1 sized bricks.

But it probably balances out because the buying power of middle class folks has gone down over time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I had this castle as a kid. Sets must have stuck around in stores a lot longer in those days, cause I don't think I really got it at age 2, but who knows. I remember it very well, because there was one particular minifig that my cousin immediately named.

Banana Peel Paul.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, it's definitely worth noting that a 350 part set was probably way bigger than a 350 part set now. Try used to come with much larger parts.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

My Lovely Horse posted:

I had this castle as a kid. Sets must have stuck around in stores a lot longer in those days, cause I don't think I really got it at age 2, but who knows. I remember it very well, because there was one particular minifig that my cousin immediately named.

Banana Peel Paul.

We had that too it owned. There were other castles (or walls or whatever) it could connect to which was great.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

http://brickset.com/sets/6087-1/Witch-s-Magic-Manor

This was my childhood castle set. Many poor minifigures were crushed under that boulder. I've still got all the bits knocking around, and the dragon and skeleton have always been two of my favourite things from an old lego set. Skeleton still gets to try out things from sets I get even now. He was a spaceman for a very long time too.

Mainly my really old stuff is space and whatever the precursor to city was. And the weird animal head people.

fake edit: Fabuland, that was the animal people

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I had this castle as a kid.

I had the opposing force castle:

http://brickset.com/sets/6073-1/Knight-s-Castle

I created so many new ways to build that thing. Such a fun set for a kid.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish I still had my old dragon.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

McDragon posted:

http://brickset.com/sets/6087-1/Witch-s-Magic-Manor

This was my childhood castle set. Many poor minifigures were crushed under that boulder.

'Here lies Studs the Spearman. Went out not with a bang, but with a BURP.

NickThorn
Jan 11, 2005

I'm fucking wild about KEYKEYs.

Monster Fighters was the line that got me back into Lego as an adult. I wish it would return. I sort of broke Lego Law and bought the Lepin Haunted House set for about a fifth the price the Lego version goes for now. It is gorgeous and has a decent quality as has been discussed in the thread before. It was missing a lot of flat clip pieces to hold the iron work on the roof, but that is worth spending the extra 3 bucks on Bricklink to get them. If you can stomach having an outlander in your collection, I recommend it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Where's the new batch of SW stuff, like the A wing and Y Wing? I figured they would be on shelves by now but every store just has the same stuff that's been on the shelf for the last year. I thought stores were doing clearance deals after Xmas on the 2016 sets to make room for the new ones, but there they all are back at full price on the shelves.

Except of course the Droid pod which went out of production insanely quick before I grabbed it :mad:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They came and went real quick. Didn't put out a lot and/or scalpers got to em because you can find stuff a bit marked up on amazon, like the new Y Wing, and the A Wing is already backordered on lego shop.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ah. poo poo. Well there will be plenty in a couple of months I guess. Was kind of hoping to build that a wing this weekend.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

NickThorn posted:

Monster Fighters was the line that got me back into Lego as an adult. I wish it would return. I sort of broke Lego Law and bought the Lepin Haunted House set for about a fifth the price the Lego version goes for now. It is gorgeous and has a decent quality as has been discussed in the thread before. It was missing a lot of flat clip pieces to hold the iron work on the roof, but that is worth spending the extra 3 bucks on Bricklink to get them. If you can stomach having an outlander in your collection, I recommend it.

Wow I've never heard of Lepin before, that house looks amazing! Definitely going to pick it up!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why are monster fighters so sought after? Not that they aren't cool sets but why are they so pricey?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Probably because they didn't seem do that well when in circulation so now they're hard to come by.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Can't speak for others but the monster fighters are cool to me as I'm a Halloween fanatic and would love that Haunted House as a centerpiece!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Honestly the monsters were the best minifig series yet.