Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Why did nobody talk about how insane i10 was?

So far I've encountered a hardboiled PI wearing a rabbit costume so he can get into the mind of an assassin wearing a rabbit head
A filth gorilla that roars like a giant ancient mummy
A building full of enemies with "kid" in their name and slightly smaller character models
And a Southern Baptist Preacher to murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

Why did nobody talk about how insane i10 was?

So far I've encountered a hardboiled PI wearing a rabbit costume so he can get into the mind of an assassin wearing a rabbit head
A filth gorilla that roars like a giant ancient mummy
A building full of enemies with "kid" in their name and slightly smaller character models
And a Southern Baptist Preacher to murder
I just assumed you'd finished the entire game. I think i10 is the one with the horrific dreamscape mission but yeah, the rest of it is great.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
If you take out Aegis I feel comfortable saying that Tokyo is the second best area in the game after Solomon Island. The characters are fantastic, Fear Nothing is terrifying and the vibe is just painfully bleak. John is also great as a counter to the Buzzing, giving you the apocalyptic monster take on the current goings on.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

AEGIS isn't so bad...

...if you first walk into Tokyo with mostly 10.9. I can't imagine what it is like without.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I walked into Tokyo with stock AEGIS and was pretty okay with it. This was after Issue 11 dropped though, was it way worse on launch or something?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Psycho Landlord posted:

I walked into Tokyo with stock AEGIS and was pretty okay with it. This was after Issue 11 dropped though, was it way worse on launch or something?

Apparently you no longer have to run the mission six times to get a set of aegis things.

But it feels better than it did at launch. It wouldn't surprise me if they tuned it to between then and now

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pilchenstein posted:

I just assumed you'd finished the entire game. I think i10 is the one with the horrific dreamscape mission but yeah, the rest of it is great.

That mission started out neat. And the fluffy bits were good. But goddamn that took FOREVER

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

That mission started out neat. And the fluffy bits were good. But goddamn that took FOREVER
It's a really good and important mission story-wise but goddamn, reversing your controls is something that should have died out in games in the loving 90s.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Didn't you have to repeat the tower defense mission to get full AEGIS on both hands, except the mission had a cooldown so it was mandatory to run around Tokyo your first time with incomplete AEGIS? Or am I remembering wrong?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Kessel posted:

Didn't you have to repeat the tower defense mission to get full AEGIS on both hands, except the mission had a cooldown so it was mandatory to run around Tokyo your first time with incomplete AEGIS? Or am I remembering wrong?
No, I believe that was the case. :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kessel posted:

Yep that was how it came out. The pubs in sanctuary were saying that's no longer the case though

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Just got my wings. Although I question the decision making skills of the angels.

"Reap what you have sewn"

*Gives me an attack that does 30k damage*

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

As usual, us late adopters win out it seems! On that note, how much of Tokyo can I do without having the rest of the issues yet?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Well, if anyone needs help you can ask me. I'm Yawk ingame.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Do we enough Tokyo goons to do the dungeons?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

Do we enough Tokyo goons to do the dungeons?
Hit me up for the Tokyo dungeons, I still need lore from two of them. http://steamcommunity.com/id/darth_pingu/

Edit: not tonight though, it's 4am here :v:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The issue with the Tokyo dungeons is not the lore.

The issue is that to even do them reliably on Elite to start with 1.9 AEGIS is basically required.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tallgeese posted:

The issue with the Tokyo dungeons is not the lore.

The issue is that to even do them reliably on Elite to start with 1.9 AEGIS is basically required.

That isn't what I wanted to hear. I bet you're supposed to upgrade AEGIS poo poo too?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Len posted:

That isn't what I wanted to hear. I bet you're supposed to upgrade AEGIS poo poo too?

Yup.

Manufactory and Breached Elite drops AEGIS 2.0 firmware to upgrade AEGIS to 2.0. This saves you 360 Marks of the Pantheon on buying them direct.

To upgrade further you must do Manufactory Nightmare. That drops Mk. III Memory Expansion kits, which will get you to 2.4 or so. This means you need 36 kits. Or you can buy these from players for 2 million apiece, or 72 million total.

Then you must do Manufactory Breached Nightmare for Mk. IV Memory Expansion kits, which will get you to 2.9. You will not be able to defeat the final boss, which was overbuffed by Funcom and never fixed. Mk. IV kits are bind on pickup, so you're stuck here.

The reward for all of this insane grind?

You can do Nightmare Raids for QL11 gear, 10.9 gear with absurdly overpowered effects, and further AEGIS upgrades (up to 3.6 I think).

It is unabashedly terrible.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 26, 2017

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
uh oh

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

No wonder they have been quiet about any new updates to the system. Do they still do the bi-weekly dev livestream?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I mean, Anarchy Online is still chugging along, so how bad can they mess it up?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Full story: http://massivelyop.com/2017/02/27/the-secret-world-is-being-relaunched-in-2017/

Anarchy Online and Age of Conan are going into basically maintenance mode, so it's actually a good sign that TSW is getting a relaunch. Hopefully the combat adjustments turn out for the better.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I better still get my stipend alimony.

Len fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 28, 2017

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
It all depends on how they do it, but yeah, seems like a good thing. Considering how deep discounted the complete edition has been lately it felt like they were squeezing the last drop out of the buy-to-play model, so not a surprise.

The first few months of going to free-to-play will likely be a blast with a ton of players available for group content. Looking forward to many a good world boss train.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Cautiously optimistic. If the game is ever to do better financially, something like this is their only real shot.

Around the relaunch also seems like a good time to try and reestablish a goon presence. Other than Plat and I, who's game?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Amante posted:

Cautiously optimistic. If the game is ever to do better, something like this is their only real shot.

Around the relaunch also seems like a good time to try and reestablish a goon presence. Other than Plat and I, who's game?

Honestly I was thinking about making a new thread the next time the Super Special Awesome edition was on sale so I'll wait till then and make a new edition on the thread. Maybe we can scare up some new blood.

Maybe I can use a free account and post on their forums again.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I was looking at getting back into the game, but if they're gonna revamp a lot of stuff I think I'll wait and see how it goes and get back in on it then.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Amante posted:

Cautiously optimistic. If the game is ever to do better financially, something like this is their only real shot.

I have been considering coming back and this new relaunch has me curious as well. I might start testing the waters and playing from time to time, until I either get sucked back in or run away screaming.

Len posted:

Honestly I was thinking about making a new thread the next time the Super Special Awesome edition was on sale so I'll wait till then and make a new edition on the thread. Maybe we can scare up some new blood.

I'm surprised this thread has limped along for over three years.

Skion
Mar 24, 2013
Hopefully they fix some of the awful combat animations. That retard walk is the reason I never use magic.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Amante posted:

I'll be playing this game until they unplug it. Maybe one day I'll finish Solomon Island!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I can only hope this is a Cataclysm style change and they finally make good on the teases at killing quest givers like Ragnar wanted before Joel went "no missable content ever!"

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They're not gonna kill quest dispenser NPCs, or if they ever do, they're going to move the quest to someone else - even if they're putting some resources into refreshing TSW, it doesn't make sense to actively reduce the amount of content they already have (which would mean putting even more dev time towards the status quo instead of designing new shiny things and changing the stuff that's actually broken or in need of reworks).

What slightly worries me is "introduction of new retention systems" because in every MMO I've ever played "retention systems" was just the nice name for "more things to grind at a pace dictated by the devs", and I never played TSW thinking "this game needs MORE timed lockout mechanics and -currencies".

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I hope the new player experience is all about Klein.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

orcane posted:

They're not gonna kill quest dispenser NPCs, or if they ever do, they're going to move the quest to someone else - even if they're putting some resources into refreshing TSW, it doesn't make sense to actively reduce the amount of content they already have (which would mean putting even more dev time towards the status quo instead of designing new shiny things and changing the stuff that's actually broken or in need of reworks).

What slightly worries me is "introduction of new retention systems" because in every MMO I've ever played "retention systems" was just the nice name for "more things to grind at a pace dictated by the devs", and I never played TSW thinking "this game needs MORE timed lockout mechanics and -currencies".

Hear me out on this: Player made investigation missions.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Hear me out on this: Player made investigation missions.

plz upvote my mission for true MLP & DBZ fans thx

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
In episode 182, who does Goku say is 'unable to reach Super Saiyan IV'?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Bogart posted:

In episode 182, who does Goku say is 'unable to reach Super Saiyan IV'?

"TRICK QUESTION, DBGT ISN'T CANON"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Seriously, did none of you look at my post about the AEGIS grind they refuse to fix? I'm not very confident in the current direction.

Let me clarify the issue with Manufactory Breached Nightmare: The final boss is nearly impossible even with full QL11 gear. That you get to even try for by grinding until you have AEGIS 2.9. Which you get exclusively from Manufactory Breached Nightmare and need a grand total of 45 kits.

Do I have to talk about what happened during Samhain 2016 too?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 28, 2017

• Locked thread