Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fiction posted:

The optics are that a candidate who is widely liked among both disaffected progressives and the party establishment itself is being contested by proxy by the Obama wing with a candidate who has no such credentials. It's a blatant power grab.

See above.

Except that's not true? Perez, until like a month ago when y'all decided he was Hitler, was widely liked by Progressives. Hell he was the person progressives were hoping Hillary would pick as her VP. Like if Perez becomes chair, it's not as if nothing is going to change. Things will still change. Like Perez isn't some "centrist rear end in a top hat who loves him some big banks." Dude is a progressive who's spent his entire loving life fighting for people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Except that's not true? Perez, until like a month ago when y'all decided he was Hitler, was widely liked by Progressives. Hell he was the person progressives were hoping Hillary would pick as her VP.

Then why do I keep insisting otherwise huh smartguy?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Except that's not true? Perez, until like a month ago when y'all decided he was Hitler, was widely liked by Progressives. Hell he was the person progressives were hoping Hillary would pick as her VP. Like if Perez becomes chair, it's not as if nothing is going to change. Things will still change. Like Perez isn't some "centrist rear end in a top hat who loves him some big banks." Dude is a progressive who's spent his entire loving life fighting for people.

He may have been widely liked but he was not liked in the same way Ellison was liked- i.e. progressives actually wanted him to be chair. Then Perez came in long after a candidate appeared who could bridge the gap, basically said he would do the same thing as Ellison, hewed slightly closer to the lobbyist wing of the party in his rhetoric, and now we're being told to fall in line again because chances are the unelected representatives voting in this race prefer to keep their stranglehold on all party functions.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nevvy Z posted:

you also keep insisting you make good posts

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

yes, i'm sure he'll be ethical. he's already done a good job of showing his ethics by letting banks who foreclose on active duty service members illegally get off with a slap on the wrist

His boss was working on a plea bargain, which unlike a trial guaranteed immediate relief for the victims. Perez had zero power to overrule him. The intercept rots your brain.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Fiction posted:

There's documented evidence that he was pushed by Obama's wing of the party to run because they fear giving any concessions whatsoever to the Sanderistas.

This right here is why we have a problem with him. Perez is in the race in an attempt to "save" the party from the people who opposed Hillary Clinton in 2016.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

All I'm saying is it's incredibly transparent what they tried to do by having him enter this race to contest Ellison. He might talk the same exact talk but why even run if he's also planning to walk the exact same walk?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Did the Tea Party oppose Reince Priebus when he was made RNC chair?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fiction posted:

He may have been widely liked but he was not liked in the same way Ellison was liked- i.e. progressives actually wanted him to be chair. Then Perez came in long after a candidate appeared who could bridge the gap, basically said he would do the same thing as Ellison, hewed slightly closer to the lobbyist wing of the party in his rhetoric, and now we're being told to fall in line again because chances are the unelected representatives voting in this race prefer to keep their stranglehold on all party functions.

No one's telling you "fall in line." We're telling you that if Perez does win, that it's not the end of the universe and that you should channel your energy into making sure he does what you want to be done. Go and get involved in state and local party membership. Take the drat party over from the bottom up. Go, grab three of your friends, and attend a meeting of the local party. Go to town halls, go to city council meetings, go to board of education meetings.

Condiv posted:

yes, i'm sure he'll be ethical. he's already done a good job of showing his ethics by letting banks who foreclose on active duty service members illegally get off with a slap on the wrist

Boy howdy I am glad you have zero clue what you're talking about.

Fiction posted:

All I'm saying is it's incredibly transparent what they tried to do by having him enter this race to contest Ellison. He might talk the same exact talk but why even run if he's also planning to walk the exact same walk?

And you think it's okay for Bernie to have no doubt pushed Ellison to run for the same reason?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

His boss was working on a plea bargain, which unlike a trial guaranteed immediate relief for the victims. Perez had zero power to overrule him. The intercept rots your brain.

don't try to pretend he was opposed or he would've done something different if he could've. he went on as head of the DoL to give waivers to banks who had repeatedly and frequently violated the law to manage pensions. he's a friend of big banks, through and through

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Her winning by 3 million votes?

People took the wrong lesson from this, by the way. The story should have been "Holy poo poo, some nothing senator who wasn't even a Democrat came really really close to beating someone with the name recognition of Hillary Clinton, maybe we ought to re-think our positions."

"Nah lol."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fiction posted:

All while having 1/1000th the charisma and presence on TV and having never won an election for anything.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No one's telling you "fall in line." We're telling you that if Perez does win, that it's not the end of the universe and that you should channel your energy into making sure he does what you want to be done. Go and get involved in state and local party membership. Take the drat party over from the bottom up. Go, grab three of your friends, and attend a meeting of the local party. Go to town halls, go to city council meetings, go to board of education meetings.

Trust me, I plan to show up and run for state delegate in march. All I'm telling you guys in this thread is that if Perez gets elected, the message is loud and clear to all progressives that the party is more interested in retaining what tiny vestiges of power they have left than even listening to what a huge portion of the base wants.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

And you think it's okay for Bernie to have no doubt pushed Ellison to run for the same reason?

When Bernie pushed Keith to run there was no figure who had announced that would reunite the two cleaved portions of the party. When Obama pushed Perez to run there was, and Obama cared more about losing control than listening to what the most engaged part of the base had to say.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What is the argument for Perez again? He's got a lot of union support? All I'm hearing is "no really he's not that bad and is basically the same as Ellison"

Why am I supposed to like Perez over Ellison?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

All while having 1/1000th the charisma and presence on TV and having never won an election for anything.

DNC Chair doesn't need to really have won an election, tbqh. I think the other part is important though.

Fiction posted:

Trust me, I plan to show up and run for state delegate in march. All I'm telling you guys in this thread is that if Perez gets elected, the message is loud and clear to all progressives that the party is more interested in retaining what tiny vestiges of power they have left than even listening to what a huge portion of the base wants.

There's no such thing as the "democratic base." And it's not loud and clear to "all progressives" because you do not speak for all progressives. The Bernie Show ain't the only show in town dude.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Fiction posted:

I think this is true, even if it's not the message they would be intending to send. Just as the message The Elites would receive from the progressive wing would be "we are more interested in symbolic concessions than actual results," even when I know for a fact that's not the message anyone is trying to send. That crossed wiring is one reason I've avoided getting much involved in the chair stuff.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

mcmagic posted:

Who cares about the 3 million votes?

You should because that is why she was the nominee.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

There's no such thing as the "democratic base."

There most certainly is, it's all the people who vote for Democrats.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

There's no such thing as the "democratic base." And it's not loud and clear to "all progressives" because you do not speak for all progressives. The Bernie Show ain't the only show in town dude.

Fine. The young portion of the progressive base, the ones who the Democrats will need votes from not only in 2018 but will solely rely on by not long after the end of this decade, will hear the message loud and clear: We do not care what you think, everything is fine, and nothing needs to change.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

blackguy32 posted:

You should because that is why she was the nominee.

No. She was the nominee because no one else ran and the entire party endorsed her in 2014 while willfully looking the other way at how horrible a candidate she was.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

How'd that work out for her, by the way?

Not getting into primarychat.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

nachos posted:

What is the argument for Perez again? He's got a lot of union support? All I'm hearing is "no really he's not that bad and is basically the same as Ellison"

I support Ellison. I think he'd be better at the job. Perez, though, does have a lot of history with cleaning up broken institutions. When he took over the Civil Rights division at Justice it was absolutely loving broken from eight years of the Bush Administration, and he cleaned it up and made it one of the better places to work in government. He did a very good job at Labor as well and did manage to win some of the few policy wins for progressives in the last four years on labor rights.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

nachos posted:

What is the argument for Perez again? He's got a lot of union support?

he doesn't, the biggest unions have endorsed ellison

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fiction posted:

Fine. The young portion of the progressive base, the ones who the Democrats will need votes from not only in 2018 but will solely rely on by not long after the end of this decade, will hear the message loud and clear: We do not care what you think, everything is fine, and nothing needs to change.

Except Perez is explicitly yelling from the rooftops that change needs to happen?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

nachos posted:

he'll be bank friendly and amenable to keeping the dem party bank friendly

because both parties need to turn a blind eye to the crimes wall street commits

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Except that's not true? Perez, until like a month ago when y'all decided he was Hitler, was widely liked by Progressives. Hell he was the person progressives were hoping Hillary would pick as her VP.

Oh hey, thanks for the reminder on why this matters, politically. You see, the person Hillary picked over Perez for VP was an incredibly boring, spineless centrist coward. Why did she pick Tim Kaine? Because Tim Kaine was the head of the DNC and stepped down as a favor so Hillary could install Wasserman-Schultz (who I don't need to remind y'all worked directly for Hillary immediately before and even more immediately after her tenure as DNC chair). Between them, they oversaw the rise of the Tea Party and a precipitous decline of Democrat seats in state legislatures and governors, and Congress.

Maybe we shouldn't let the Obama/Clintonian loyalists control who the next chair is!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

We (and you!) are already doing this.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I support Ellison. I think he'd be better at the job. Perez, though, does have a lot of history with cleaning up broken institutions. When he took over the Civil Rights division at Justice it was absolutely loving broken from eight years of the Bush Administration, and he cleaned it up and made it one of the better places to work in government. He did a very good job at Labor as well and did manage to win some of the few policy wins for progressives in the last four years on labor rights.

This is good! I think he'll do a fine job as chair.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Alternate Universe Condiv posted:

Perez used an unrelated matter, outside his jurisdiction, as justification to prevent unions from choosing what to do with their own pensions, the first time it has ever happened. drat neoliberals in this party won't even let unions control their own money.

One day, you'll get pissed at The Intercept for knowing better and assuming you don't.

The only way The Intercept article is a damning indictment of his softness on finance is if you believe that Perez should have

1. Unilaterally blown up the settlements that Holder and Obama were working on with Banks
  2. Denied Unions their preferred pension manager by refusing to grant a waiver for the first time in the DoL's history

I think that the Justice settlement was incredibly weak, that it failed to chasten the financial industry, and that it failed to give voters the sense that instrumental figures in the economic downturn that cost livelihoods and lives were actually punished. I also think it's disingenuous to lay that at the feet of Perez. Is anyone seriously going to argue that the Obama administration wasn't opposed to jailing anyone over the crash, it's just that nobody in Justice had considered trying to get individual bank employees on a misdemeanor charge?

I think it's a shame that unions wanted CS to manage their funds even after the banks malfeasance. I also think that Labor stripping unions of their autonomy on financial matters is insane and I'm glad that the principle of autonomy won out over what would have been a meaningless, symbolic punishment of the bank.

It's less sexy, but Perez withdrawing and clarifying the 2008 memo on Environmental, Social, and Governance is an example of the sort of Big loving Deal that takes power away from Capital and puts it in the hands of workers. Allowing Unions and others to consider factors other than immediate returns, it opens up huge divestment opportunities-strengthening BDS, allowing another vector for fighting NoDAPL, and gives unions and activists more ammunition in fighting their battles. Prior to this rule, the AFL-CIO and SEIU couldn't back the NEA by divesting from any organization that was assisting with DeVos' charter scheme. Now they can.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Except Perez is explicitly yelling from the rooftops that change needs to happen?

After entering the race against the candidate that we trust to enact that change far more than the people backing him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I don't think Perez is a bad guy but him winning would be the clearly worse candidate winning for no other reason than a few party insiders wanted him to win. It's a bad look and a bad start to what are 2 crazy important years for the party.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I'd be OK with Perez winning not only because he'd be a fine chair but because it would also wake up a ton of people that the DNC is incapable of reform and that we'll have to work outside of it to enact any real change.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Oh hey, thanks for the reminder on why this matters, politically. You see, the person Hillary picked over Perez for VP was an incredibly boring, spineless centrist coward. Why did she pick Tim Kaine? Because Tim Kaine was the head of the DNC and stepped down as a favor so Hillary could install Wasserman-Schultz (who I don't need to remind y'all worked directly for Hillary immediately before and even more immediately after her tenure as DNC chair). Between them, they oversaw the rise of the Tea Party and a precipitous decline of Democrat seats in state legislatures and governors, and Congress.

Maybe we shouldn't let the Obama/Clintonian loyalists control who the next chair is!

That's actually not true lol.

Tim Kaine is fine. Hillary didn't install DWS, Obama did (and then came to regret it) after Kaine stepped aside to run for Senate after being termed out as VA Governor (he was DNC chair mostly while we was out of office as Governor.) Kaine was Obama's second pick for VP after Biden and basically given the DNC Chair as compensation, after Obama ousted the Howard Dean people from power.

They gave DWS a meaningless, token position to make her go the gently caress the away (it was an unpaid position with no real power or authority.) Everyone in the party hated DWS by 2014 and Obama and future HRC Campaign boss Podesta schemed getting rid of her for two years, and Podesta and the Clinton campaign wanted to get rid of her ASAP -- as we know from the leaked Podesta emails.

Please try to get facts correct.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 24, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Fiction posted:

I'd be OK with Perez winning not only because he'd be a fine chair but because it would also wake up a ton of people that the DNC is incapable of reform and that we'll have to work outside of it to enact any real change.

This is wrong and third parties are a dead end. You have to work within the current party structure.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

why are centrists so dumb that they think trying the same poo poo that lost the election in 2016 is the ticket to victory in 2020?

Because Clinton lost votes due to her personal unpopularity as opposed to any sort of policy considerations

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Paracaidas posted:

One day, you'll get pissed at The Intercept for knowing better and assuming you don't.

The only way The Intercept article is a damning indictment of his softness on finance is if you believe that Perez should have

1. Unilaterally blown up the settlements that Holder and Obama were working on with Banks
  2. Denied Unions their preferred pension manager by refusing to grant a waiver for the first time in the DoL's history

I think that the Justice settlement was incredibly weak, that it failed to chasten the financial industry, and that it failed to give voters the sense that instrumental figures in the economic downturn that cost livelihoods and lives were actually punished. I also think it's disingenuous to lay that at the feet of Perez. Is anyone seriously going to argue that the Obama administration wasn't opposed to jailing anyone over the crash, it's just that nobody in Justice had considered trying to get individual bank employees on a misdemeanor charge?

I think it's a shame that unions wanted CS to manage their funds even after the banks malfeasance. I also think that Labor stripping unions of their autonomy on financial matters is insane and I'm glad that the principle of autonomy won out over what would have been a meaningless, symbolic punishment of the bank.

It's less sexy, but Perez withdrawing and clarifying the 2008 memo on Environmental, Social, and Governance is an example of the sort of Big loving Deal that takes power away from Capital and puts it in the hands of workers. Allowing Unions and others to consider factors other than immediate returns, it opens up huge divestment opportunities-strengthening BDS, allowing another vector for fighting NoDAPL, and gives unions and activists more ammunition in fighting their battles. Prior to this rule, the AFL-CIO and SEIU couldn't back the NEA by divesting from any organization that was assisting with DeVos' charter scheme. Now they can.

Yeas I do support destroying the settlement that Obama and Holder got. Why? Because that settlement pissed off alot of voters who wanted to see the filth that caused them to lose their homes punished. Them paying fines was not punishment. Them getting 20 years to life would have been punishment. I do love how centrists libs jerk off to the idea that sociopathic bankers don't get whats coming to them.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

mcmagic posted:

This is wrong and third parties are a dead end. You have to work within the current party structure.

I'm suggesting not a third party but a political activist network that operates outside of the DNC proper, like OFA. Hey wait a minute I think I know something like that.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Because Clinton lost votes due to her personal unpopularity as opposed to any sort of policy considerations

Why do you think she was personally unpopular? Might it have something to do with her unceasing triangulation?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

mcmagic posted:

i'm going to work to continue making the california democrats the best party in the country and wait for the installation of god emperor moonbeam and us cutting free from the driftwood that is america

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Paracaidas posted:

yes to both. the settlement was a disgrace, like all the loving wall street settlements under obama. also, the banks in question had cost pensions tons of money over the decade of them scamming everyone, i think that warrants them not getting a waiver.

quote:

yes the obama administration was opposed to jailing anyone. how much criminal poo poo came out during his presidency? HSBC laundering money for drug dealers? banks foreclosing on active duty service members, banks forging paperwork so they can foreclose on people, the forex scandal, libor, etc. Nothing but slaps on the wrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fiction posted:

Why do you think she was personally unpopular? Might it have something to do with her unceasing triangulation?

No.

• Locked thread