Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
In general you can upgrade in place with Horizon I've found.

Combat Stimpacks are very rare in the wild, you're supposed to make bandages, which are much easier to make now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
That 10mm SMG might be dropping soon:

https://twitter.com/kungfuman316/status/833572230378446849

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 21, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Once again, I approve greatly.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I want to toss out a plug for the Crude Blowback weapon mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16657/

It looks like an improvised weapon and has replaced my .38 automatic pipe rifle as my choice for clearing buildings when there's too many enemies for the double barrel shotgun.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Are there any decent mods that add Nuka-World and Far Harbour enemies to the main world without also changing up when regular enemies spawn levelwise?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

I've added NPCs Travel to my Horizon build, and it's fantastic. You can't just mindlessly travel from one area to another with the confidence you've cleared the way, because there's all manner of assholes wandering the Commonwealth too. Having more transient traders and doctors is also super convenient.

I've also started trying to use Weapons of Fate, but goddamn does it require a mental shift. Actually having to account for distance and gravity makes a sneaky build so much more difficult.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

horse mans posted:

I've added NPCs Travel to my Horizon build, and it's fantastic. You can't just mindlessly travel from one area to another with the confidence you've cleared the way, because there's all manner of assholes wandering the Commonwealth too. Having more transient traders and doctors is also super convenient.

I've also started trying to use Weapons of Fate, but goddamn does it require a mental shift. Actually having to account for distance and gravity makes a sneaky build so much more difficult.

Do you have any recommendations for weapon mods that go well with horizon? I added the crude blowback and the revolver by the same modder but not sure what else would be plug and play with how much horizon modifies.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

horse mans posted:

I'm also using NPCs travel. I came across a group of Minutemen so it was nice to encounter some friendlies for once. Then a radroach crawled up from behind them and for some reason the NPCs were ignoring it. I lit that thing up and the Minutemen became hostile. Had to kill 'em all. (Thanks for the help Preston!)

When I looted the radroach it was carrying Minutemen gear! Guess the mod has some glitches, unless even the bugs are answering Freedom's call to arms.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm also using NPCs travel. I came across a group of Minutemen so it was nice to encounter some friendlies for once. Then a radroach crawled up from behind them and for some reason the NPCs were ignoring it. I lit that thing up and the Minutemen became hostile. Had to kill 'em all. (Thanks for the help Preston!)

When I looted the radroach it was carrying Minutemen gear! Guess the mod has some glitches, unless even the bugs are answering Freedom's call to arms.

Hahaha

The intersection just west of Hangman's Alley, where the named feral ghouls, scavengers, Mr Gutsy and Protectron hang out I can generally avoid by heading into the marsh north of it. Last time I was on autopilot and didn't realize some travelling super mutants had entered the fray as well and honed in on me. Hauled rear end back to Hangman's Alley and reconsidered my approach.

OwlFancier posted:

Do you have any recommendations for weapon mods that go well with horizon? I added the crude blowback and the revolver by the same modder but not sure what else would be plug and play with how much horizon modifies.

I actually haven't taken a look at any weapon mods. I'm not sure what I'd want in one. The 10mm SMG is nice, for example, but I don't really add single item mods like that into my playthroughs. I know there are a couple mods that add in e.g. all the Fallout 2/3/New Vegas favorites, but I'd want to make sure they can be fully kitted out at a workbench, and that everything is balanced well, and that everything is added to loot tables properly, which makes it a bit more trouble than its worth for me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I hate feral ghouls. They've been my least favorite part of this series of Fallout games. Now that they not only run like Usain Bolt but launch themselves through the air like Wolverine I've found new reasons to hate them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

I hate feral ghouls. They've been my least favorite part of this series of Fallout games. Now that they not only run like Usain Bolt but launch themselves through the air like Wolverine I've found new reasons to hate them.

The charred ones you get in cages are simultaneously great and awful, because they're worth shitloads of XP early on so I cage them just for that (and also to set on raiders for free loot) but they have a shitton of HP.

I'm not sure whether the fact that their dive attack looks for all the world like an american football tackle is a plus or a minus. TBH the entire enemy just looks like a roided out angry footballer trying to body check you to death. I err on the side of amazing.

horse mans posted:

I actually haven't taken a look at any weapon mods. I'm not sure what I'd want in one. The 10mm SMG is nice, for example, but I don't really add single item mods like that into my playthroughs. I know there are a couple mods that add in e.g. all the Fallout 2/3/New Vegas favorites, but I'd want to make sure they can be fully kitted out at a workbench, and that everything is balanced well, and that everything is added to loot tables properly, which makes it a bit more trouble than its worth for me.

It is incredibly hard to find stuff that fits with the game and isn't badly balanced yeah. That's why I went with the two I did as supposedly they sort themselves out w/r/t integration and I'm hoping they're well balanced.

Why they didn't make the 10mm just moddable into a rifle type weapon by default I don't know.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

Not many weapon mods are going to play nice with Horizon due to the fact that the mod effectively halves the amount of levels that the player receives over the course of the game. If you want weapons to show up as intended you'd need to edit their leveled lists to match Horizon's changes.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Why they didn't make the 10mm just moddable into a rifle type weapon by default I don't know.

They were waiting for Obsidian to do it for them.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
After plenty of trawling through poo poo, I found a few diamonds for my character.

Weapons (both have custom animations that look amazing)
Remington 870
Sometimes the reload animation glitches a little, but not massively. Easily my favorite shotgun now.
M1 Garand
*ping!* blamblamblamblamblamblamblamblam *ping!* ...Need I say more?

Clothing & Body armor
The Mercenary
Really nice outfits, and even has some insititute armor which I am hoping higher ranked synths will use. The fact that gunners are often seen wearing some of the clothing and armors in this pack is encouraging. I'm just happy that I found a body armor that looked like it'd fit in with the setting, but also be practical with ammunition and utility pouches. There's also a neat Load Bearing Harness that I sometimes use.

Cosmetics
Azar Ponytails
Only hair mod that I've found that isn't anime to gently caress.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

turn off the TV posted:

Not many weapon mods are going to play nice with Horizon due to the fact that the mod effectively halves the amount of levels that the player receives over the course of the game. If you want weapons to show up as intended you'd need to edit their leveled lists to match Horizon's changes.

Just finished deleveling my sixth merged patch since reinstalling the game, since I kept finding new weapon and outfit mods to add. Also deleveled the encounter lists after installing something that adds DLC monsters, so wish me luck, I keep running into wolves.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I think if Horizon doesn't plan on changing the levelled lists further, a goon made patch with some goon selected weapon/armor/item mods might be worth the time. I can help with this if needed since I know FO4EDIT somewhat, but I'm nowhere near a master and have no idea how to write levelled lists when they don't already exist. Just know how to properly merge them.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
I am a big baby who added in the weapon balance overhaul to Horizon just to make things a little spicier and it seems to be working fine.

PS The Iron Rose is there any hope of you updating that mod? It's seriously the best.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

The two I mentioned seem to have integrated just fine and as they're pipe tier weapons that works out well too, they basically integrate more or less perfectly.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Kimsemus posted:

I think if Horizon doesn't plan on changing the levelled lists further, a goon made patch with some goon selected weapon/armor/item mods might be worth the time. I can help with this if needed since I know FO4EDIT somewhat, but I'm nowhere near a master and have no idea how to write levelled lists when they don't already exist. Just know how to properly merge them.

I don't know basically anything about modding but I'd love to learn to help contribute to this.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

I don't know basically anything about modding but I'd love to learn to help contribute to this.

Yeah, absolutely same. I've been modding Bethesda games since Morrowind and I'd love to get a more in-depth look on how to actually make mods.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Editing and adding items to the leveled lists through scripts is pretty easy, just grab this:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17782/

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I'll look into that when I get home tonight.

The thought just hit me: Is there a good blues station available or am I going to have to make my own?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

CascadeBeta posted:

I'll look into that when I get home tonight.

The thought just hit me: Is there a good blues station available or am I going to have to make my own?

I made this if you like your blues old and dirty
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11087/

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Saint Sputnik posted:

I have this mod (along with the expanded soundtrack pack) and it's a good mod. Thanks for making it, you've made exploring Far Harbor so much more moody (in a good way)!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Saint Sputnik posted:

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
10mg sg is out. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22223/

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Level 6 in Horizon is like more than a couple hours in. :negative:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm putting that in my suggested list and dropping one of those lovely generic real world guns because my god that 10MM remaster is glorious. This weekend I'll get around to making a good list of lore friendly firearms for first time Fallout 4 mod goons.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This gun has the fire rate of an SMG, can do as much damage per shot as an assault rifle, and is more accurate than a hunting rifle.

That's, uh, pretty interesting.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqCLVcTxh34

Yeah, it's pretty overpowered looking. If I get this installed, I'm going to nerf it a bit for my playthrough.

That's a huge issue for me with modded weapons. The authors always make them more powerful than the vanilla weapons..

Also, that guy in the video has the right idea. Set up a training ground to test weapons. Love the killhouse.

Whilst I'm here, does anyone know of any mods that add new water purifiers? Something a little more industrial, and less... Macguyvered together?

Falken fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 24, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I feel the power creep isn't helped with the need to soak every weapon a million mods too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I haven't messed around with the guns enough to know if there's a vanilla one that completely invalidates all the others like the Rockville Slugger does for melee (conceivably, a 40% vats reduction machete might be better since I could put Khrem's Tooth on it), but it seems the weapon balancing in general isn't great in this game.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Falken posted:

Also, that guy in the video has the right idea. Set up a training ground to test weapons. Love the killhouse.

Well poo poo now I know what I'm doing with Spectacle Island.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

I feel the power creep isn't helped with the need to soak every weapon a million mods too.
Yeah usually just reducing the base damage to its closest vanilla counterpart does the trick.

I wish that there were more support for weapons of fate bullet drop when it comes to new calibers. I had to modify the wonderful 9mm Pistol to fire 10mm just so I could continue using both mods together.

If you haven't tried the 9mm pistol, you really should. It's so loving satisfying to use, and the animations are top notch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9oJkKeRffU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Honestly instead of soaking a custom weapon with a poo poo load of mods, they should consider a few prototype and old/new variants or even a unique version to get from a quest or boss NPC instead.

And yeah that mod testers firing range was pretty cool.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lurdiak posted:

I haven't messed around with the guns enough to know if there's a vanilla one that completely invalidates all the others like the Rockville Slugger does for melee (conceivably, a 40% vats reduction machete might be better since I could put Khrem's Tooth on it), but it seems the weapon balancing in general isn't great in this game.

Weapon balancing is terrible because the new DR formula is insane, on top of the fact that the perks to increase damage make balancing anything a nightmare.

I'd really like to make a mod at some point that would get rid of the damage bonuses of perks and replace them with bonuses to weapon handling instead, and then rebalance the rest of the game to remove health scaling and work more with DR and DT.

STALKER does a really good job with this where humans have small health pools, but larger amounts of armor, while mutants have small amounts of armor and lots of health. This means that different weapons are much more suitable for certain enemies and situations depending on their armor penetration and overall damage. Shotguns with buckshot, for example, deal a good amount of damage, but have poor armor penetration, so they're a good option for dealing with mutants and a not so good option for guys in power armor. If you want to use a shotgun against armored targets, however, you can bring along lower damage, higher armor pen dart (iirc) ammo that can deal with human targets, but aren't as effective against mutants.

The way Fallout 4 works right now is largely that more damage = more better, since the amount of damage received is tied to the amount of damage resistance applied to the shot. This means that low damage shots receive a greater relative amount of DR than high powered shots because of reasons. This system is completely terrible and backwards and is a large part of the reason that the end game of Fallout 4 is so goddamn boring.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

turn off the TV posted:

Weapon balancing is terrible because the new DR formula is insane, on top of the fact that the perks to increase damage make balancing anything a nightmare.

I'd really like to make a mod at some point that would get rid of the damage bonuses of perks and replace them with bonuses to weapon handling instead, and then rebalance the rest of the game to remove health scaling and work more with DR and DT.

STALKER does a really good job with this where humans have small health pools, but larger amounts of armor, while mutants have small amounts of armor and lots of health. This means that different weapons are much more suitable for certain enemies and situations depending on their armor penetration and overall damage. Shotguns with buckshot, for example, deal a good amount of damage, but have poor armor penetration, so they're a good option for dealing with mutants and a not so good option for guys in power armor. If you want to use a shotgun against armored targets, however, you can bring along lower damage, higher armor pen dart (iirc) ammo that can deal with human targets, but aren't as effective against mutants.

The way Fallout 4 works right now is largely that more damage = more better, since the amount of damage received is tied to the amount of damage resistance applied to the shot. This means that low damage shots receive a greater relative amount of DR than high powered shots because of reasons. This system is completely terrible and backwards and is a large part of the reason that the end game of Fallout 4 is so goddamn boring.

How difficult/impossible would something like that be to accomplish?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CascadeBeta posted:

How difficult/impossible would something like that be to accomplish?

I'm not sure how easy it would be to modify the perks as I'm not familiar with Papyrus scripting and I'm unsure if recoil compensation can be applied to a perk. I know that it exists, as there are stocks which have that effect.

Rebalancing the weapons and enemies should be fairly technically straight forward as there is an existing mod on the Nexus which adds a DT mechanic. The hard part would be applying the appropriate changes to all of the weapons, armor and actors in the game. This would require a lot of time and testing to get right.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Go for it man. I wouldn't say no to a system like STALKER. It makes sense.

When I first started tooling around with Fallout 4 and once I got used to how the game did things compared to the past modern titles, I found myself slightly saddened that for some reason certain weapons were dropped or merged as mods with the base games ones for time or asset reasons I suspect. I was also quite annoyed really as well at the lack of a few classical weapons or rehashes from the games lore. Thankfully modding has solved these issues.

Anywho, here is a list of weapons from previous Fallout games with a few lore friendly extras thrown in for anyone dipping their toes into modding and just wants to add a few extra weapons for oomph. Some of these aren't exaclty well balanced so YMMV or try and do some GECK work I guess. So if you missed a certain favourite weapon from Fallout 1/2/3/New Vegas that you wish to use in Fallout 4 here they are.

Ensure you have AWKCR installed before you start downloading these.

Fallout 1:

Classic Fallout 1 & 2 10MM Pistol now?
10MM SMG (Nuka World DLC required)
Watzz Laser Rifle
DKS-501 Sniper Rifle
Watzz 2000 Laser Carbine
.223 Revolver (That Gun)
Mauser Pistol

Fallout 2:

Grease Gun SMG
The Bozar
The Avenger Minigun
Desert Eagle

Fallout Tactics:

The 9mm Browning Pistol
MP-40

Fallout 3:

Chinese Assault Rifle
R91 Assault Rifle

Fallout New Vegas:

The Bumper Sword
Chainsaw
Shock Baton
.45 Auto Pistol and A Light Shining In The Darkness Unique
China Lake Grenade Launcher & Holo Rifle
Varmint Rifle
M1 Garrand
.38 Silenced Pistol
Laser RCW! (The laser firing tommy gun)
AEAR-1 Prototype
45-70 Hunting Revolver (Standalone) (Far Harbour Needed)
Nuka Breaker

Lore Friendly Uniques:

YonaTaku's DefenseGun Replacer for Pipe Weaponry basically replaces all Pipe Weaponry in the game to the randomised single shot, semi and automatic WW1/WW2 style SMGs from the DefenseGun mod

Tomahawk
Punk Crowbar
Mad Can Fury Bean Can Club
Handmade Revolver
Crude Blowback
The Pipe Shotgun
Makeshift AT Rifle
Plasma Cycler
Vaut-TEC MPl SMG
Fusion Gun
The AEAR-1 - An Automatic Laser Assault Rifle
Plasma Swords
Watzz Electrics Gauss Rifle prototype!

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
To me, the hardest part with making a system like that would be making a version or patch that also works with horizon because I'm basically dead set on never playing Vanilla FO4 again.