Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

kedo posted:

UX question for you folks. I'm not aware of a best practice in this situation, so I'm curious if any of you have encountered similar issues in the past and how you've approached them.

Say you have 100 pages of content in English on a site. 50 of those pages have been translated into Spanish. English is considered the default language. When a user selects a language, the default behavior for the site is to only show content in the selected language. However that means 50 pages of content are completely invisible to Spanish users unless they know to change their language to look for them.

My question is this: Do you think it makes sense to display the English pages in Spanish navigation (maybe with a "(Solo Inglés)" tag attached) so that Spanish speaking users can still access that content if they also speak English?

My gut reaction is no and that if the pages need to be visible to Spanish speaking users they should be translated into Spanish, but I'm dealing with a client who has budget concerns and doesn't want to translate all of their content since some of it will only apply to a minuscule percentage of Spanish speakers.

Thoughts?

Show them all. The (Solo Inglés) is a good idea as well. If they use Chrome, you'll get free translation of varying quality for no effort!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

kedo posted:

UX question for you folks. I'm not aware of a best practice in this situation, so I'm curious if any of you have encountered similar issues in the past and how you've approached them.

Say you have 100 pages of content in English on a site. 50 of those pages have been translated into Spanish. English is considered the default language. When a user selects a language, the default behavior for the site is to only show content in the selected language. However that means 50 pages of content are completely invisible to Spanish users unless they know to change their language to look for them.

My question is this: Do you think it makes sense to display the English pages in Spanish navigation (maybe with a "(Solo Inglés)" tag attached) so that Spanish speaking users can still access that content if they also speak English?

My gut reaction is no and that if the pages need to be visible to Spanish speaking users they should be translated into Spanish, but I'm dealing with a client who has budget concerns and doesn't want to translate all of their content since some of it will only apply to a minuscule percentage of Spanish speakers.

Thoughts?

I would say it's better to leave the pages available in the wrong language, so at least the user knows there is something there. The perfect answer is to just translate everything consistently, but you're down to choosing the least worst plan.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Definitely make the availability of the English pages known. Remember that Spanish-speaking visitors may well be fluent in English but may prefer to read pages in Spanish where available.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

PT6A posted:

Definitely make the availability of the English pages known. Remember that Spanish-speaking visitors may well be fluent in English but may prefer to read pages in Spanish where available.

And Google Translate is a thing, especially nowadays when you can press a button (always translate) and never see an English language page again.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
It's not until next Tuesday, but I finally set up a meeting about using our website's Style Guide.

Backstory
Across our ecommerce site, we had no style guide at all. Thankfully I, and I lead designer, changed that. It's based largely on Foundation 5. As like any Style Guide, I'm opening to it changing. For instance, our <button>s and hyperlinks have changed site wide a few times already. However, it seems every project I work on has its own special snowflake and/or override to existing classes/elements. This alone makes the code larger (our app.css has grown 50% since it started). This finally because too much when I found out a developer was working on a project where it used virtually none of the existing style guide. The way it's done now means that all of that bespoke reinvention of the wheel will be included in our app.css, bloating the size of every page on our site (I haven't seen by how much yet). I know it could be its own css file, but I don't think that's the point. The point is they really should be using the Style Guide and if something doesn't fit, edit/make a new generic class/element that can be used in multiple places.

I just hope I can have this meeting go well where we can come to an understanding, and it doesn't become a fight between Creative and Tech over Creativity and Performance.

Does anyone have any ideas or tips on how to go about this other than saying "Hey stop making our app.css larger and larger and less maintainable"? Cynical me figures they'll just be like "You're stifling our creativity :qq: making it smaller and maintainable is your problem go go go".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't know much, but I think you shouldn't concentrate on the size of your CSS as much as on the importance of branding. A site that doesn't have a cohesive style does not come off as very professional.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Lumpy posted:

Show them all. The (Solo Inglés) is a good idea as well. If they use Chrome, you'll get free translation of varying quality for no effort!!

Skandranon posted:

I would say it's better to leave the pages available in the wrong language, so at least the user knows there is something there. The perfect answer is to just translate everything consistently, but you're down to choosing the least worst plan.

PT6A posted:

gmq posted:

And Google Translate is a thing, especially nowadays when you can press a button (always translate) and never see an English language page again.

Thanks for the feedback! Your responses are all quite close to where we're landing. I appreciate it!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
A friend of mine has been developing a wordpress site cobbled together out of tables and shortcodes and sadness to get everything the way he wants it, and now the design's responsiveness is just as predictably lovely as you'd imagine and I have been asked to make something that will work on mobile devices without making baby Jesus cry.

Just how hosed am I? Is there anything that can be done? I told him the best thing to do is just remove the media queries from the CSS, so at least the full website shows up without a whole bunch of mis-sized and overlapping poo poo. I said I could make a separate mobile version of the website (which he is wont to call an "app" but I don't believe he actually wants an app, just a mobile website) but that's going to be utterly horrendous because it will require either separate updates, or some kind of godforsaken process to inspect the content on the main website (either via screenscraping or by reading the wordpress database directly).

I keep hoping there's an obvious thing that I'm missing that will make this a simple task that will not result in me wanting to tear my hair out.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

PT6A posted:

A friend of mine has been developing a wordpress site cobbled together out of tables and shortcodes and sadness to get everything the way he wants it, and now the design's responsiveness is just as predictably lovely as you'd imagine and I have been asked to make something that will work on mobile devices without making baby Jesus cry.

Just how hosed am I? Is there anything that can be done? I told him the best thing to do is just remove the media queries from the CSS, so at least the full website shows up without a whole bunch of mis-sized and overlapping poo poo. I said I could make a separate mobile version of the website (which he is wont to call an "app" but I don't believe he actually wants an app, just a mobile website) but that's going to be utterly horrendous because it will require either separate updates, or some kind of godforsaken process to inspect the content on the main website (either via screenscraping or by reading the wordpress database directly).

I keep hoping there's an obvious thing that I'm missing that will make this a simple task that will not result in me wanting to tear my hair out.

I've never used it, but maybe something like this?
https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/any-mobile-theme-switcher/

The idea is the plugin magically detects mobile traffic and then displays the WP content using a separately specified theme. You'd still need to purge his bad stuff that overrides basic things but it might work. Or it might be horrible, I've never tried.

My gut says the "easiest" way to is to restart from scratch with a good desktop/mobile theme where most of the work has already been done for you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

I've never used it, but maybe something like this?
https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/any-mobile-theme-switcher/

The idea is the plugin magically detects mobile traffic and then displays the WP content using a separately specified theme. You'd still need to purge his bad stuff that overrides basic things but it might work. Or it might be horrible, I've never tried.

My gut says the "easiest" way to is to restart from scratch with a good desktop/mobile theme where most of the work has already been done for you.

As far as I can tell, this was a horrid choice to build a website that looked as close as possible to a client's previous website that needed rebuilt for some unknown reason. It seems the base theme was not really properly modified to support what the client wanted so everything's been hacked together in a dreadful manner. I don't think he (or his client) will be fond of the suggestion that the past month or two of work should be ditched or significantly refactored, even though it would be the right choice from a development standpoint.

It would also be 100% better to use a framework that allows for well-structured database access too, but he's unreasonably fond of wordpress.

That theme switcher sounds like it could be workable. Apparently he's also found a plugin for the table plugin that can modify the tables to be responsive somehow. It sounds like he's building a precarious tower of poo poo and garbage and I don't want to touch it if I don't have to.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
I have a really strange problem that has come up with a client.

So, she is a travel agent and she accepts customer credit cards and keeps them on file. The way payments are processed are she takes in the CC info via a form. She then turns around and gives the information to the travel vendor who actually charges the card. Basically, she acts as an intermediary for the vendor. Apparently this is how all TA's work, so I'm told.

She's asked me to come up with a solution for performing this process which led me into delving further into how she does all this. Basically it's a total poo poo storm. She stores years worth of customer CC info in a single spreadsheet....on a cloud drive. O_O

I've explained to her if she were to be breached it would expose her to thousands if not millions in liability as she is not PCI compliant. Further I think she's criminally liable.

Because of this really obtrusive system that TA's use to basically act as a liaison to the vendor there's not really a simple way to do this otherwise...that I can think of. The simplest way I can think to tell her to do this is to take the credit card payment herself into an account and then pay out from that account to the vendor herself. She's rebuking my idea due to the processing fees that card gateways charge, which I understand. Last year she took in roughly 3 million in sales. Of that she makes a commission of a certain percentage. So you can see that basically she ends up paying out card handling fees for a huge dollar amount of sales on which she only actually makes a small percentage of, therefore a service like stripe is reducing her say 12% commission by 2-3% straight to the bottom line.

Anyways I'm completely stumped on what to do for her other than coming up with a secure form and telling her the rest is on her but that if she's storing CC info she needs to look at what the law says about how that information can be stored and where. She's been a very lucrative client for me and I hate to lose her if I can't find a solution.

My only thought is to create a secure form for her site and send her on her merry way.

Shachi fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 24, 2017

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

If her vendor won't let her create some sort of record to store that information for her, she should find a vendor that isn't poo poo.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
The problem is more like, the vendor doesn't have means to allow a client to make a payment strait to the vendor under the TA's account. The only way that wouldn't violate a poo poo ton of CPI laws is if she physically took every single payment over the phone every time a person wants to pay towards their deposit.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Shachi posted:

Anyways I'm completely stumped on what to do for her.

My first thought was call the police. It might sound dramatic but personally I wouldn't want anything to do with that, especially if you think she's criminally liable.

If she goes down what are you gonna do? "She said it was fine so I helped her keep doing it"?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

PT6A posted:

Scaramouche posted:

Do this. Trust me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

huhu posted:

Do this. Trust me.

If I'm going to rewrite a whole bunch of poo poo, it's sure as gently caress not going to be WordPress-based. All the lovely compromises that were already made were a result of WordPress's many weaknesses.

I'm still not clear on why the client requested a full re-write in the first place, or most especially why it's being moved from ExpressionEngine to WordPress.

It's just a horrible clusterfuck.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Shachi posted:

I have a really strange problem that has come up with a client.

So, she is a travel agent and she accepts customer credit cards and keeps them on file. The way payments are processed are she takes in the CC info via a form. She then turns around and gives the information to the travel vendor who actually charges the card. Basically, she acts as an intermediary for the vendor. Apparently this is how all TA's work, so I'm told.

She's asked me to come up with a solution for performing this process which led me into delving further into how she does all this. Basically it's a total poo poo storm. She stores years worth of customer CC info in a single spreadsheet....on a cloud drive. O_O

I've explained to her if she were to be breached it would expose her to thousands if not millions in liability as she is not PCI compliant. Further I think she's criminally liable.

Because of this really obtrusive system that TA's use to basically act as a liaison to the vendor there's not really a simple way to do this otherwise...that I can think of. The simplest way I can think to tell her to do this is to take the credit card payment herself into an account and then pay out from that account to the vendor herself. She's rebuking my idea due to the processing fees that card gateways charge, which I understand. Last year she took in roughly 3 million in sales. Of that she makes a commission of a certain percentage. So you can see that basically she ends up paying out card handling fees for a huge dollar amount of sales on which she only actually makes a small percentage of, therefore a service like stripe is reducing her say 12% commission by 2-3% straight to the bottom line.

Anyways I'm completely stumped on what to do for her other than coming up with a secure form and telling her the rest is on her but that if she's storing CC info she needs to look at what the law says about how that information can be stored and where. She's been a very lucrative client for me and I hate to lose her if I can't find a solution.

My only thought is to create a secure form for her site and send her on her merry way.

Speaking as an ecommerce guy who has been on both ends of a processor initiated PCI audit, this is, as you suspect, Real Bad. And if you're the IT guy of record if/when the lawsuits come, you could be sucked up in it.

Some questions:
- Is the collection form at least SSL?
- Do you know what merchant processor the upstream partner is using? Some of them have pretty snazzy third party tokenization setups

There's only two ways for this going forward that I can see:
1. The upstream partner has to accept the CC info somehow on the spot via encrypted transmission, basically a form that throws straight to them. They don't have to >use< that information to charge right away, but it has to not reside with the TA at all, and all the liability gets passed along.
2. She has to invest in a PCI DSS environment that can support it. This means (and this by no means is everything):
- SSL encrypt all info received from >and< transmitted to others
- If card information is stored on any of her systems it has to be encrypted an an approved fashion, with documentation outlining who has access to encryption keys and why. At no point is this information committed to non-volatile storage in the clear
- Documentation/Change Tracking system for said systems including proof that relevant patches, upgrades, and security bulletins have been applied
- Same as above but for an approved firewall and anti-virus implementation
- Not necessary now, but will be if she gets audited: proof of passing a pen test/exploit test for said system
- Same as above, but proof of criminal record check for anyone accessing or collecting this data employed by her
- Complete tracking of any systems where this data might be accessed, e.g. emails, internal chat systems
- If data is stored on premises an approved security system requiring at the very least a dedicated electronic lock system for both server room and general premises with full record of in/out. A surveillance system may also be required
- If data is not stored on premises similar documentation from the server host/provider

And on and on and on... I'm not sure if all that applies to someone of her size, I'm used to working with Level 2 and Level 3 processors.

EDIT-Notices from ACTA and IATA outlining PCI compliance requirement (I'm assuming the client is cert with at least one of these orgs):
http://www.acta.ca/news-releases/iata0216
http://www.iata.org/services/finance/Pages/pci-dss.aspx

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 24, 2017

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

PT6A posted:

If I'm going to rewrite a whole bunch of poo poo, it's sure as gently caress not going to be WordPress-based. All the lovely compromises that were already made were a result of WordPress's many weaknesses.

I'm still not clear on why the client requested a full re-write in the first place, or most especially why it's being moved from ExpressionEngine to WordPress.

It's just a horrible clusterfuck.

Because a shockingly high percentage of people involved "around" making web sites / apps literally believe WordPress is the single best solution for every single problem there is. Sadly, these people tend to be the decision makers. Ask me about working at an agency where we wound up having to spend $190,000 of developer time "fixing" a web app for a customer because the boss (before I got there) made the decision that WordPress was the technology to use. Customer paid ~$15k for the site, initial development effort was close to $100,000. A similar project came up, and the boss once again demanded that WP be used. Good times.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, Wordpress has that enviable position in business consciousness as a safe choice for cheaply building a website. The unfortunate reality is it's not that much cheaper, and the gains secured in speed of development are done at the expense of a gently caress ton of technical debt.

Those gains in development speed are invariably lost once the project moves on, at which point the amount of time spent fixing/altering the site ends up costing the budget all over again an hour at a time.

Wordpress for anything but a trivial site is a money trap.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, Wordpress has that enviable position in business consciousness as a safe choice for cheaply building a website. The unfortunate reality is it's not that much cheaper, and the gains secured in speed of development are done at the expense of a gently caress ton of technical debt.

Those gains in development speed are invariably lost once the project moves on, at which point the amount of time spent fixing/altering the site ends up costing the budget all over again an hour at a time.

Wordpress for anything but a trivial site is a money trap.

That and Wordpress is horrendously insecure and also comes with the extra baggage of somebody saying "hey, let's install this theme!" without realizing that the theme so generously provided for free from Random Internet Human #1,937,562 will very possibly be full of malware.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That and Wordpress is horrendously insecure and also comes with the extra baggage of somebody saying "hey, let's install this theme!" without realizing that the theme so generously provided for free from Random Internet Human #1,937,562 will very possibly be full of malware.

And if you want it to update itself in a convenient fashion when security holes are discovered, which is "frequently", you have to give it permission to overwrite its own code. There's no way that could ever go wrong!

It's also a giant target, because it's so common, so poorly coded, and a lot of the default options can't be changed so literally every WordPress site will have the exact same weak points to abuse!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What would you recommend as an alternative fairly idiot proof alternative?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Warbird posted:

Nothing? Eventually any system that tries to reduce complexity to the point it's remotely idiot-proof will run up against the fact there is a certain level of complexity that cannot be safely eliminated without making extreme compromises (ignoring for the time being that WordPress has made myriad unforced errors with regards to things like their heinous database schema, and almost-nonexistent security structure). While that can be a fair trade for a personal blog or something, it's ridiculous to use for anything beyond a certain level of complexity because you spend so much time forcing a square peg into a round hole that you end up with a slow, unmaintainable monstrosity of plugins, shortcodes, and key-value pairs stored in databases, that you're actually further behind than if you just did it correctly in the first place.

Professional developers should not be recommending WordPress outside a very narrow scope. If you're paying a developer to handle the complex bits, then you don't need WordPress's level of "simplicity" and there's no reason to put up with its compromises.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

PT6A posted:

And if you want it to update itself in a convenient fashion when security holes are discovered, which is "frequently", you have to give it permission to overwrite its own code. There's no way that could ever go wrong!

It's also a giant target, because it's so common, so poorly coded, and a lot of the default options can't be changed so literally every WordPress site will have the exact same weak points to abuse!

No, you got it all wrong. If you want to update to patch security holes, you can't, because at least one of the 3761 plugins people installed will break.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Warbird posted:

Make your own in Django.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes. I'm looking to make a scheduling webapp. The basis will be dragging and dropping pucks (each puck represents a person) into somewhat-procedural-generated slots. Eventually, it's going to auto-throw the pucks, but either way, I'm looking for a way to set this up with a web interface.

I'm OK with javascript and jquery. Have some exp with Angular. I imagine there are lots of ways to approach this; what do you recommend? There will be discrete slots for the pucks, and they must be user-movable; must be able to send post data to the server based on where the pucks are dropped.

TIA dudes!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Can you get where you want to go with jQueryUI's draggable?

https://jqueryui.com/draggable

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Maybe! I'll take a look. I can't with HTML's draggable attr.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
Have you folks seen this? https://hypothes.is/blog/annotation-is-now-a-web-standard/

So a 'Comments' area could be spontaneously available on any site/page? Are we going to see weird distributed forums / threads across the whole bloody web? So much for YouTube or anyone being able to 'clean up' lovely comments?

Or am I misunderstanding where and how the data will be stored?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Warbird posted:

Squarespace

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Maybe! I'll take a look. I can't with HTML's draggable attr.
Oh neat, Jquery UI has a droppable interaction too!

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Warbird posted:

Drupal seems to be/is becoming the industry standard, correct?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Grump posted:

Drupal seems to be/is becoming the industry standard, correct?

WordPress is so easy for me it's all I use for my 3-10 page sites. It's probably a bad habit I have to grow out of at some point, but I use WordPress as a barebones CMS to handle pages, trusted plugins for things like contact forms and photo galleries, and some widgets and hardcode most things into header.php or footer.php of my very minimalist theme that I've developed. Basically I code the site and let WordPress just handle basic database functions like spitting out any particular page. There are security plugins that do a good job of patching security holes.

It bugs the poo poo out of me when I have to update sites from other developers and have to use themes like ProPhoto that basically put another CMS into WordPress for some unknown reason. It's taken me up to an hour to figure out where a phone number on the contact page is stored because it's in theme settings > customize > site information or something dumb instead of just in the page that is labeled Contact, which is empty because everything from the map to the copy to the phone number is in various settings strewn about the back end.

I would like to learn Drupal, if that's where the industry is going. Does it have as robust a plugin database so I don't have to spend time on things like contact forms and photo galleries?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
yeah I used the underscores Wordpress base theme to create my personal site, and it was pretty fine :shrug:

Definitely gonna have to learn Drupal. It's on every job application.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Drupal is slightly more powerful than WordPress but still pretty awful to work with.

If you have hosting that can support it, Django is definitely my favourite thing to work with. Very flexible, easy enough to set up, simple to explain to whoever's going to be making edits, and it's easier for me as the designer/developer to control how things end up looking while still allowing the client the ability to change content, since the data is as well-structured as I choose to make it.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I fooled around with Drupal a few years ago. It seemed like problems waiting to happen. Just recently I started looking at hugo, a static site generator, and it seems spiffy. No cms related bugs at all. Please do tell I'm wrong though. I've no idea what I'm talking about really.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Static site generators are cool until you start to need dynamic stuff, which makes me hesitate to use it with client stuff. My preference for most clients is Django plus a home grown content management system we made (that just leverages models to give some nicer forms and translation options mainly), because Django allows us enough flexibility to always have a viable answer for a client request that won't tank the budget, and besides, you can put memcached in front of static pages to get the benefits a static site generator would give you. We don't even flush the cache over time, we tie it to relevant save methods on the model instead.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Goddammit. What's the right way to handle multiple background images on a page? Like, we want this image behind the top section, that image behind the middle section, and the other image for the bottom section and footer. Just be very drat careful with background-position?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

darthbob88 posted:

Goddammit. What's the right way to handle multiple background images on a page? Like, we want this image behind the top section, that image behind the middle section, and the other image for the bottom section and footer. Just be very drat careful with background-position?

Is there a reason you can't set a background for the <div> containing the top section, a background for the <div> containing the middle section, and then a background on <body> for the other two regions (so it's seamless)

edit: oh wait I see I misread, well can't you make a container for the top two sections and then the bottom two sections, and use that to apply the background, yeah it's not semantic, but <div> is a passthrough semantically so there's no harm if you need it, it's better than trying to force a clever solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Maluco Marinero posted:

Is there a reason you can't set a background for the <div> containing the top section, a background for the <div> containing the middle section, and then a background on <body> for the other two regions (so it's seamless)

edit: oh wait I see I misread, well can't you make a container for the top two sections and then the bottom two sections, and use that to apply the background, yeah it's not semantic, but <div> is a passthrough semantically so there's no harm if you need it, it's better than trying to force a clever solution.
I suspect you didn't misread, I misspoke. They want image1 behind the top section, image2 on the middle, and image3 on the bottom section, three images for three sections.

It's supposed to be an Angular1 SPA, with half the content just in an ng-view container, and the backgrounds are supposed to be full-width on the page, so I can't just throw the backgrounds on those divs, they need to be on the body. However, re-reading the design, those sections are well-defined in terms of height, so I probably can get away with background-position for now. It won't be as responsive as I'd like it to be, but neither is the redline saying the top section will be 768px tall, and this is just version .1.