Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bolind posted:

A little PSA/unsolicited fatherly advice:

If you're not using a password manager, or are on the fence of starting to use one: loving do it.

I used to be the schmuck who had the same password across a number of sites/forums, a slightly more secure but years old password for more important stuff, and then a bunch of variations I could never remember for everything else.

1Password, randomly generated, unique passwords for everything. 2FA for everything Google. It rocks.

Yeah but don't use their cloud services. Just save it to a USB flash drive, IMO. Print it out every once in a while and put it in your safety deposit box or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

bolind posted:

If you're not using a password manager, or are on the fence of starting to use one: loving do it.

I used to be the schmuck who had the same password across a number of sites/forums, a slightly more secure but years old password for more important stuff, and then a bunch of variations I could never remember for everything else.

1Password, randomly generated, unique passwords for everything. 2FA for everything Google. It rocks.

I finally talked my mother into using one... she's been using a thick notebook for the past two decades. Anytime she changed a password, she'd just write on a new page. Made it so much fun anytime she forgot a new password.

I'm using ~the cloud~ for mine, but it has a strong password that I don't use elsewhere. I think I'm finally down to less than a dozen services with a shared password, and it took my bank calling me and saying "uh, so someone managed to log in to your online banking a few minutes ago, but we saw that the IP was from California, they failed one security question, and you haven't filed a travel notification with us.... also they called us to reset the password from a phone number that isn't on your account" to go that far. That password was a mixed-case alphanumeric password, there's no way it was brute forced. I'd used that password in too many places.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

A street racer doing himself / herself in is no great loss.

No, you don't understand; he was "a great dude"! Wouldn't hurt a fly! :rolleyes:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Seminal Flu posted:

So my distributed wifi with multiple Google OnHub routers was great... until Google jammed the whole thing up.

No idea what's going on, but it looks like they are "aware of the issue" with the entire wifi setup bricking. Great.

Glad I still have my Asus running as a backup. :{

And the fix? Factory reset everything and rebuild. And one of my OhHubs is bricked. loving fantastic failure, Google.

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/7335595

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
OK, that's not so impressive.

I wasn't aware of the OnHubs (my ubiquiti setup is treating me far too well to bother doing anything about it) - how do you like them, apart from this little SNAFU?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

bolind posted:

OK, that's not so impressive.

I wasn't aware of the OnHubs (my ubiquiti setup is treating me far too well to bother doing anything about it) - how do you like them, apart from this little SNAFU?

Before that, I didn't have a bad thing to say about them. A bit Apple-ish in that they kept you from most of the computer janitor settings, but the good news is that you never really needed to get into those settings since the system was well automated. I've got a large, spread-out house and this system took care of all wifi issues I had.

This is going to piss a lot of people off and they'll ditch their OnHubs... and I'll pick up a couple more cheap on ebay.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 24, 2017

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Probably going to be joining the landed gentry within the next year and was wondering if anyone had experience with snow plows on trucks. Rather than paying someone to plow the driveway and what not since I will probably be getting something on a fairly large lot to store all my unfinished AI projects I was going to get a old truck and a plow and just do it myself. The question is that will the thing just disintegrate in a winter of hard use and salt and I should just get someone to come do it? Of course there is the fact that being Mr Plow sounds amusing but if the thing is going to cost a ton and then just fall apart either causing me to junk it and get another or fix it then I might as well get heated radiant tiles for the driveway and paths and be super lazy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigPaddy posted:

Probably going to be joining the landed gentry within the next year and was wondering if anyone had experience with snow plows on trucks.
How loose is your definition of "truck"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLGUEQlFyoE

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

How much will you realistically have to/want to clear? A dedicated snowblower instead may be a better purchase.

E: Dave's answer is superior.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

E: Dave's answer is superior.
No joke, I checked up on ATV snowploughs as being the right size for a 4x4 Panda (they are).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Nice. Tyre recommendations?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Nice. Tyre recommendations?
Well, I'm talking about the originals, so they're a bit harder to find stuff for now (145R13 is standard). However, Italian company Malatesta make a ridiculously aggressive remould, considering the size:

They do the same thing in the 165/70R14 that the 2005-on version wears.

They're about £40 a corner, but the UK place that does them doesn't have any at present.

But for snowy roads, just good winter tyres I guess.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I want that tiny knobby tire on my Civic. :3:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

bolind posted:

Comments 2 and 5 on the bombshell cloudflare bug from yesterday mention a password manager so yeah I am glad I've always avoided using online password managers. https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1139

kastein fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 24, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy hell, how did I miss that getting announced? That is one nasty bug.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

InitialDave posted:

How loose is your definition of "truck"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLGUEQlFyoE

Heh, honestly if I can just use anything I will. When I finally enslave myself to the bank I will take a view on the situation and if a snow blower is more sensible. Some of the places I am looking at are 2-3 acres as I want some space but if that is all back yard and my drive way is less than 100ft then the only reason I would get a truck to plow is so I can drive it around my land with a pipe and shotgun like in the old country.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Seminal Flu posted:

Before that, I didn't have a bad thing to say about them. A bit Apple-ish in that they kept you from most of the computer janitor settings, but the good news is that you never really needed to get into those settings since the system was well automated. I've got a large, spread-out house and this system took care of all wifi issues I had.

This is going to piss a lot of people off and they'll ditch their OnHubs... and I'll pick up a couple more cheap on ebay.

https://www.thurrott.com/hardware/100557/google-accidently-resets-routers-default-configuration

This is why I don't trust anything with a cloud-based configuration. I've had a few Meraki APs in the past, but anything that relies on internet access to configure just doesn't sit well with me.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
b...b...b...but, it's the internet of things! Smart everythings! Everywhere! Clearly your refrigerator should be on the internet! Why wouldn't it?!?! Thermostat? Of course! Laundry machines? How couldn't they be?!?!

THE CLOUD SOLVES EVERYTHING.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I use KeePass (MacPass if you're forced to use OS X) for all my passwords and really like it. I've never bothered with a mobile version though

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's even on the top of every subforum on this very site...

Everybody, change yer passwerds!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Beverly Cleavage posted:

b...b...b...but, it's the internet of things! Smart everythings! Everywhere! Clearly your refrigerator should be on the internet! Why wouldn't it?!?! Thermostat? Of course! Laundry machines? How couldn't they be?!?!

THE CLOUD SOLVES EVERYTHING.

If your fridge needs internet access to cool your stuff then it's not a good fridge

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Yesterday was not a good day for Internet Security. Sha-1 was proven to have a known collision attack so anything uses that encryption is now much less secure.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If your fridge needs internet access to cool your stuff then it's not a good fridge

I'm still waiting for a phone/fridge ransomware that reads your email, gps fix, and fridge settings and waits till it sees you plan a two week trip and get on the plane before demanding $1000 to not turn your fridge full of food off and let it fester

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Raluek posted:

While this is theoretically true, they can stack the rules against you so that pretty much all your ammunition doesn't work.

Of course they can, but if you don't even try you're doing their work for them. It also works better when you have a good insurance company and you claim it yourself and let them do the fighting with the lovely companies.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

kastein posted:

I'm still waiting for a phone/fridge ransomware that reads your email, gps fix, and fridge settings and waits till it sees you plan a two week trip and get on the plane before demanding $1000 to not turn your fridge full of food off and let it fester

I thought there already was a Samsung or LG fridge that read your Google Calendar.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Seeing as I was around before the internet, I don't trust the internet with passwords for internet things anything. I have a pad a keep it all on and I lock that up. I keep it like that for my wife, in case I die in a plant accident (being pulled into a lathe, vacuum depressurization, etc) so she has access to everything. It was immensely useful when my FIL died that he had a book of logins and passwords so we could get his affairs in order.

Also, the cloud is just someone else's computer, and I don't trust anyone else with my poo poo.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Oooooh Phoenix. I am all up in you. Here for the weekend attending a race for work. Basically hanging around with a bunch of guys racing gas and nitro powered RC cars.

It's gonna be a good weekend. http://thedirt.us/news/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's about the only good reason to be that far west :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

mariooncrack posted:

Yesterday was not a good day for Internet Security. Sha-1 was proven to have a known collision attack so anything uses that encryption is now much less secure.

To be fair, everyone has pretty much been told not to use SHA-1 hashes for anything for at least the last 3-4 years. There's been plenty of chances to migrate and I don't think Chrome even supports certs with an SHA-1 hash anymore.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

n0tqu1tesane posted:

https://www.thurrott.com/hardware/100557/google-accidently-resets-routers-default-configuration

This is why I don't trust anything with a cloud-based configuration. I've had a few Meraki APs in the past, but anything that relies on internet access to configure just doesn't sit well with me.

This is the first issue I've had with it, but it's a big one.

I don't rely on it, though, I've got a backup Asus router running another wifi network along side, so nbd. All I lost was access to the outdoor lighting and remote thermostat control... and I lived right through that trauma.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

To be fair, everyone has pretty much been told not to use SHA-1 hashes for anything for at least the last 3-4 years. There's been plenty of chances to migrate and I don't think Chrome even supports certs with an SHA-1 hash anymore.

Even Salesforce dropped SHA-1 finally. It was still an option for a while but turned off by default. Everything I can have 2FA on I do and a few times I have gotten messages about someone is trying to login in place I am not because even if you are careful most of the people who run the sites you use are not.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Why doesn't everything use two factor at this point? Even a ghetto two factor where with a login from a new computer it sends you an email with a code?
I include this site because my poo poo posting is very important.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've been avoiding a password manager but what is good in said hood?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i've been using lastpass on my iphone with google 2fa, works really well and worth the $1/mo (paid annually) fee.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

IOwnCalculus posted:

The Tweet posted to get in contact with Cloudflare security is great, especially the comments.

https://twitter.com/jon_bottarini/status/832753474177609729

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BloodBag posted:

Seeing as I was around before the internet, I don't trust the internet with passwords for internet things anything. I have a pad a keep it all on and I lock that up. I keep it like that for my wife, in case I die in a plant accident (being pulled into a lathe, vacuum depressurization, etc) so she has access to everything. It was immensely useful when my FIL died that he had a book of logins and passwords so we could get his affairs in order.

Also, the cloud is just someone else's computer, and I don't trust anyone else with my poo poo.

http://keepass.info/

Not cloud based, so very safe (sync it with dropbox across devices)

You can export all the keys to something printout-able in case of death

Wrar posted:

I've been avoiding a password manager but what is good in said hood?
http://keepass.info/

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's about the only good reason to be that far west :v:

Fear Farm is about 30 minutes east of my house. :colbert:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

New material for a "me @ ur posting . gif"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2qbGmtS0zo

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

Fear Farm is about 30 minutes east of my house. :colbert:

Exactly :haw:

I might get out to the paved RC track parking lot this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This is true but there were plenty of sites still using it and there are plenty of sites that will continue to use it.

• Locked thread