Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

noooot really, it was more the fact that if you already have a line entirely tooled for B-17 production, it does not make sense to redo the line to produce a somewhat better bomber.

There might be some benefit in terms of fighter squadrons but AA batteries were to a large degree manned by old dudes, kids, and guys invalided out or on convalescent leave.

You can make some pretty good fighters out of old dudes and kids with enough training and experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I trust the damage was only superficial? :ohdear:

vvv Oh good, I'm glad we have such first-rate damage control procedures in the IJN. :gonk: vvv

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 23, 2017

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TehKeen posted:

I trust the damage was only superficial? :ohdear:

Damage control teams are currently igniting the fore magazine as a firebreak to stop the spread of fire from the aft magazine.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah. Superficial

For the Japanese.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

vyelkin posted:

Damage control teams are currently igniting the fore magazine as a firebreak to stop the spread of fire from the aft magazine.

this is only slightly too ridiculous to be an actual Japanese damage control plan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Noumea's right there and he's going to ram the island and sink it into the Pacific Ocean! :byodood:

banzai, mother fuckers!

RA Rx posted:

You can make some pretty good fighters out of old dudes and kids with enough training and experience.

I assume you're joking.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Maybe that's the real cause of IRL Mutsu's demise. Forget negligence or possibly sabotage, it was just preventative damage control :v:

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

noooot really, it was more the fact that if you already have a line entirely tooled for B-17 production, it does not make sense to redo the line to produce a somewhat better bomber.

There might be some benefit in terms of fighter squadrons but AA batteries were to a large degree manned by old dudes, kids, and guys invalided out or on convalescent leave.

If nothing else, those Flak 36s aren't blowing up Soviet heavies in the East if they're guarding German cities.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Junkozeyne posted:

Maybe that's the real cause of IRL Mutsu's demise. Forget negligence or possibly sabotage, it was just preventative damage control :v:

Bombers can't hit you if you're under water

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

ZiegeDame posted:

Bombers can't hit you if you're under water

They can't sink you if you're already sunk, eh? Obviously what works for submarines works for battleships, too! :v:

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

BurningStone posted:

Mines seem to have racked up quite the kill count, but never get any press.

Mines can be an extremely effective weapon, especially in tighter waters like the Mediterranean (a lot of the sinkings have been on the Italy-Sicily-Tunisia axis, which is both cramped and busy), but they're not very sexy. Polyakov has an excellent series of posts on naval mines in the A/T Milhist Thread starting here.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Got to love the Submarine Cruiser.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

This could have been a lot worse.

Once more layer of forts to go!

Another quiet day.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

RA Rx posted:

As was demonstrated by the hit documentary "Battleship".

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

If you can't appreciate old grizzled navy vets refitting the motherfucking Missouri to destroy motherfucking aliens then you are obviously a communist :colbert:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Well, I was more referring to such formations as the 12th Panzer SS Hitlerjugend, but after reading up on them they seem a bit too fanatical to be effective.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

They finally react to our sub cordon.

Oh crap, wrong button, wrong button!

That could have been a lot worse.

Its odd when everything lulls like this.

An old kill for both of us.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Tentacle slipped on the ol' shock-deliberate lever again, eh?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

You try managing eight of the bloody things! I swear they have a life of their own!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Christmas Island gets another pasting.

No! My fuel!

Oh thank the gods!

It looks like the enemy are garrisoning another island.

We lose quite a few plans to an air raid at Rangoon.

Here are the latest reports from Hankow – time to rest up again.

The enemy are march on Sinyang in force.

I need to slow down losing planes!

At least she wasn't a BIG tanker.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

They finally react to our sub cordon.

9 hits and she's still afloat(ish)? What the hell did they hit it with, water balloons? At least I'm assuming it was hits while underwater due to the picture, as opposed to machine gun rounds on the surface or something.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

3 DONG HORSE posted:

If you can't appreciate old grizzled navy vets refitting the motherfucking Missouri to destroy motherfucking aliens then you are obviously a communist :colbert:

I saw Battleship twice. Once with my dad, and once with a friend just to see their reaction to that scene.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Please tell me you have enough men to stop that little doom stack from reaching Hankow. It would be nice to take the city sometime this year.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Another day, another 18 air frames.

So, what does your air frame and pilot replacement rate look like, Grey?

Also, I remember asking the thread what the replacement rate for Japanese merchant shipping was... The answer was "We have to build more of these things!?" So the correct question I guess is how much tonnage does Grey start with?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I saw Battleship twice. Once with my dad, and once with a friend just to see their reaction to that scene.

I love that scene - its stupid (like the rest of the film) but its so funny a idea.

That and the old guy hitting on Rianna.....

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Grey Hunter posted:

We lose quite a few plans to an air raid at Rangoon.
And there was much rejoicing. For nothing good ever came out of the high command's plans.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Does the allied AI get unlimited replacement planes like the Japanese AI does, or is it restricted to the historical replacement rates like the allied player?

The only way to get air total air superiority against a Japanese AI airbase is to blockade it until it can't maintain the 10k supply needed to draw replacement planes and then destroying all the planes in the air or on the ground. Doing that against the allies seems... hard.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We find another lost troopship.

The clean-up operation continues.

A nice quiet day while I rebuild my forces in places – at Namoua, I'm pulling out a division for a rest and refit.

The world wonders.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Seems like Allied troop ship losses have soared well beyond historical figures.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Decoy Badger posted:

Seems like Allied troop ship losses have soared well beyond historical figures.

I guess maybe thats what happens if Midway goes the other way and for some reason the US decided to ship tons of troops out anyway?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I saw it for the amazing Battleship handbrake turn.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Our planes come off worse again in an engagement.

Oh look! We damaged something!

Our planes do make it to the target though, and do some nice damage.

The Allies are invading Tarawa!

They get 37 marines ashore, most of whom are blown up by our artillery.

Their own gun crews then make a valiant, if futile assault on our positions.

They are killing our planes out there.

At least we picked off another ship!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The air war is going to get very ugly shortly when Hellcats, P-47s, P-51s, and other newer allied fighters start showing up in significant numbers...

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

46 vs 4... a particularly bad day, but,

yeah I don't care if morale is 98, unless, is it directly equivalent to experience?

This has got to be chewing up the pilot pools and our ace leader boards something fierce. It looked bad enough last time.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > War in the Pacific Day by Day - They are killing our planes out there

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They landed more guns than men. What the gently caress were they up to there?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > War in the Pacific Day by Day - There seems to be something wrong with our bloody planes this month

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > War in the Pacific Day by Day - I'm tired of meatballs, can I have some Chinese instead?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > War in the Pacific Day by Day - Stop exploding, you cowards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > War in the Pacific Day by Day - I sent wave after wave of my own men at them until they reached their preset kill limit.