Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darnon
Nov 8, 2009
You usually get the 'incoming message' audio cue when the diplo alert is pertinent to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

darnon posted:

You usually get the 'incoming message' audio cue when the diplo alert is pertinent to you.

Yeah this is nice, but I wish they also had a yellow outline, like the "evading hostile fleets" icon does.

Splicer posted:

Do migration treaties chain? If dog people let mushroom men in and I have a treaty with dog empire can the dog empire's mushroom men wander over to my empire?

They absolutely can, since they're citizens of the dog empire.

In a big ironic twist in a game I'm playing, I replaced all my mushrooms instantly with robbits when they moved out. Now I'm slowly conquering the galaxy and I swear 50% of all the spieces are my mushrooms, jesus christ.

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 24, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Dog Kisser posted:

Probably possible with some creative interpretation.

Possible, but might not look good.

Maybe possible? I'm not certain that's doable.

Probably doable.
Please add a race that is a bunch of puppies in a trenchcoat

Scientists can be puppies in labcoats

Wiz posted:

For some reason, they're upset about me annexing and enslaving their space elf allies.

Elves and plants man, elves and plants.
My fav is actually to be elves with the Plant names

"Ah yes, Fronds of Lilac, please land near the Blossoms of Perdue"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

darnon posted:

I haven't got the sounds on and I alt tab a lot. I mean I know that's my fault but my hearing is absolutely terrible and I never pay attention to noises.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Taear posted:

What I'd like is when the AI offers me defensive pacts or non-aggression it shows up slightly differently at the top to the AI having signed ones with other people. I tend to just ignore them and end up missing them talking to me.

This would be awesome

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

My species in now outnumbered in their own empire by Blorg. drat you jungle worlds!

They're just befriending everyone and somehow integrating half the map.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Truga posted:

Yeah this is nice, but I wish they also had a yellow outline, like the "evading hostile fleets" icon does.

They absolutely can, since they're citizens of the dog empire.

In a big ironic twist in a game I'm playing, I replaced all my mushrooms instantly with robbits when they moved out. Now I'm slowly conquering the galaxy and I swear 50% of all the spieces are my mushrooms, jesus christ.

I didn't know until now how much I needed a species mod that is just dogs. Intelligent dogs who sit on the diplomacy screen being a good boy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Wiz, do you think you might be able to allow secondary portraits in the portraita area? Either for secondary races or pet races.

I really want my humans to have doggos, my Harikas to have Yorns, my Plants to have elves, my zoqs to have fots.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 24, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Wiz, do you think you might be able to allow secondary portraits in the portraita area? Either for secondary races or pet races.

I really want my humans to have doggos, my Harikas to have Yorns, my Plants to have elves, my zoqs to have fots.

Also, would it be possible to give us more space for species biographies? The space we have is rather tiny, I think.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
don't lie you're going to make humans have catgirls and we all know it

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Coolguye posted:

don't lie you're going to make humans have catgirls and we all know it

Let's compromise and give humans dog girls. Everyone's happy!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
:woof:

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

I need to be able to have a swastika as a subrace

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Cheen posted:

I need to be able to have a swastika as a subrace

Only if you can give them brown shirts.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

drat how stupid was i not to notice my swastika joke landed on page 88

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Cheen posted:

drat how stupid was i not to notice my swastika joke landed on page 88

And you got the 13th and 15th posts on the page. So close!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Deceitful Penguin posted:

My fav is actually to be elves with the Plant names

"Ah yes, Fronds of Lilac, please land near the Blossoms of Perdue"

I like how when you have pops from other species in your empire, the namelists for leaders get jumbled up a bit. In my last game the big state on the other side of the galaxy was a big multiethnic republic lead by human president Maroon Weed.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

* Planet of aliens is enslaved by baddies *
* I liberate the planet from the baddies and free the slaves *

- 30% happiness WAS ENSLAVED
- 25% happiness WAS CONQUERED

:mad:

Wiz!

:mad:

Sounds like you pulled a Donald Rumsfeld assuming we'd be greeted as liberators thing, my man

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Peanut Butler posted:

Sounds like you pulled a Donald Rumsfeld assuming we'd be greeted as liberators thing, my man

You cant just expect to invade space iraq and watch democracy bloom! Maybe these aliens need a strongman to rule over them anyways

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So are you shooting yourself in the foot if you play as a moral democracy? I like the idea of being a Commonwealth of races who aren't total space dicks, but is being a pacifist just generally unadvised in the game's current state?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So are you shooting yourself in the foot if you play as a moral democracy? I like the idea of being a Commonwealth of races who aren't total space dicks, but is being a pacifist just generally unadvised in the game's current state?

Well...it depends. If you're comfortable with "pacifist", go nuts.

And by "go nuts", I mean use liberation goals on every space dick in your vicinity to create loyal vassals that you then integrate into your multicultural and multispecies empire. You will want to be fanatic individualistic or fanatic spiritualists in this model to deal with all the rando ethos pops you'll be assimilating.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Yeah its different, but you can still play Neoliberal Empire Builder through liberations, vassalization, and integration- its slower, but I feel like there are more options and challenges than in warmonger mode

Both are fun to play, IMO- to me the conquerors are more fun mechanically, but the goodguy federation is more fun narratively

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I have a soft spot for Pacifism in game, but yes, you are shooting yourself in the foot in the current build.

Among other things, 1.5 promises to have considerably more build tall options so that pacifist empires can invest inward much more than they can now, but in the game as it currently stands anything other than full on military conquest is challenging yourself.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Peanut Butler posted:

Yeah its different, but you can still play Neoliberal Empire Builder through liberations, vassalization, and integration- its slower, but I feel like there are more options and challenges than in warmonger mode

I think it's actually faster to take over territory through liberation / vassalization / integration. If you are going straight conquest, you will build up enough threat that the rest of the galaxy will combine in one super-federation that you can only have one war against per 10 years.

If you go liberation, everyone loves you, so you can fight individual wars of liberation constantly.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Depends on what your goals are for the game. Do you want to 'win' the game or play MP, then no. If you just want to try something else then its ok but very limited. I say wait until Banks so you can try the new features which would make that style of playing more interesting. That said I had a fun game as fanatical pacifist gecko game were I created a strong federation which was the most warmongering game I had with other members starting wars and liberating everything.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

ulmont posted:

I think it's actually faster to take over territory through liberation / vassalization / integration. If you are going straight conquest, you will build up enough threat that the rest of the galaxy will combine in one super-federation that you can only have one war against per 10 years.

If you go liberation, everyone loves you, so you can fight individual wars of liberation constantly.

Which is why that path and individualist ethos is the strongest in the game right now. You can be a completely brutal warmonger with this setup and everyone will love you while you ignore what they think or want. You try to annex 2 planets or go xenophobe then everyone starts setting up defense packs or form federations to counter you. Even if you are a 'good' empire or a non-purging xenophobe.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

ulmont posted:

That is good to hear, and thanks to everyone who answered my question! I like the idea of roleplaying and building a narrative more than actually winning, so I guess I'll blaze ahead with my moral democracy! I have one last question, though: if I wanted to build a race/government that does its best to maximize migration into my republic which ethics and traits should I take to min/max that? I want my civilization to be seen as the great city on the hill which the teeming masses flock into.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 24, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

ulmont posted:

I think it's actually faster to take over territory through liberation / vassalization / integration.

at least until your vassals all get stuck as protectorates that take a century to become integratable.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

That is good to hear, and thanks to everyone who answered my question! I like the idea of roleplaying and building a narrative more than actually winning, so I guess I'll blaze ahead with my moral democracy! I have one last question, though: if I wanted to build a race/government that does its best to maximize migration into my republic which ethics and traits should I take to min/max that? I want my civilization to be seen as the great city on the hill which the teeming masses flock into.

Keep in mind liberation and pacifism aren't the same thing. Unless I've been horribly mistaken this whole time, the pacifism war malus applies to all wars? At Fanatic Pacifism that's a -30% swing in Happiness (from a standing +15 to a sudden -15).

Though in the end it's all about the narrative and if you want to do a pacifist-ethos liberator-of-the-xenos it's a cool thing to do.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The entire diplomacy/war/peace system is awful and I can't wait for wiz (and his team of unsung but noted heros) to throw it in the trash and come up with something better that's as good as other paradox games. Take the best ideas of ckII, eu4, and vicky and make something real good.

Like in EU4 it makes sense that nations can't just declare war and take swaths of territory in the middle of europe and say gently caress you with no consequences because these are all fellow european powers that all share some basic ideas on what's proper or not. But even then you can still break truces, refuse calls to arms, and generally do what you want but with massive and reasonable penalties given the setting. In stellaris it's just flat out locked out and doesn't make any in-game sense, especially with the vast range of governments and empire types you can play. I don't think a hoard of cannibal slavers are going to care much about the "cool down" on a peace treaty or any other finer legal points of treaty and diplomacy.

In Hoi (haven't played 4) you can go much more total war, once you invade a province you can use it, possession is pretty much 9/10ths of the law and officially getting it in the peace is just icing on the cake. This makes sense given the setting. But it also is designed around a game that has pretty much one big single war.

I have no idea what the future plans are for diplomacy but I really hope they can accommodate a lot of play styles and empire types. If I'm a civilized empire and wanting to trade and have good relationships with fellow civilized countries I obviously don't want to go around breaking treaties, not because the game locks me out, but because the consequences in-game are bad enough that it would cost me too much. At the same time if I'm cannibal slavers I probably don't give that much of a poo poo about making friends, everyone already hates me. I probably don't even have many diplomatic options, but not because the game has hard locked me out, but because no one wants to talk to me or trust me due to my previous actions.

I'd love to, as a civilized nation, have eu4 or victoria level civilized diplomacy amongst my "peers", worry about AE, pick the correct CB's for a war, all sorts of political machinations just to conquer that one little OPM (one planet minor) in my way without upsetting the international community, all while the terrifying hoard on the other side of the map takes as many systems as their military can but quickly finds them selves the target of a huge coalition, which eventually forms into a more general alliance and trade union, which I'm elected president of and end up taking more and more control over like reforms in the HRE due to the pressure generated by the terrifying hoard and my defensive victories against them.

I'd love to have more control over my vassals, pressure them to change their ethos, make them something like a "march" to be my military buddy, or release them from military obligations in exchange for greater economic support. I'd love to be able to create vassals from my own empire, and have the difference between a sector and a vassal simply be the amount of control you have over them. Perhaps an alien empire I conquered I made a vassal, slowly increased control over time until they've become more of a sector. Stuff like that.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Imo gently caress the idea of the mechanics being fair and balanced I just want the game to be involve lots of interesting decisions that build emergent stories.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

if I wanted to build a race/government that does its best to maximize migration into my republic which ethics and traits should I take to min/max that? I want my civilization to be seen as the great city on the hill which the teeming masses flock into.

For ethos, you want Fanatic Individualist (+30% Migration Attraction, covers happiness from non-aligned ethos pops) or at least Individualist.

To make a benefit out of migration, you'll want Xenophile on your pops.

...so if you want Pacifist too, you'd be Individualist-Xenophile-Pacifist.

For traits, let me recommend Extremely Adaptable. This does two things: (1) you can only get a migration treaty if you both can live on alien worlds owned by your partners and they can live on your worlds, and Extremely Adaptable gives you a much better chance of being compatible, and (2) you have a great chance of owning worlds that are ok for your guys and great for their guys, so they move on in.

Charismatic is probably also flavorful for you.

spectralent posted:

at least until your vassals all get stuck as protectorates that take a century to become integratable.

I've never had that happen through conquest (only enlightening) even after maxing the tech tree.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Is the Vultaum precursor quest finisher bugged? Every time I find their homeworld, its in someone else's territory and even when i'm 90% certain I'm the first one there to survey it, there is never any pop-up explaining what happened to them or why their planet is all blowed up. The artifacts you find are genuinely interesting so its disappointing to never get closure.

And on the subject of precursors, i loved the Cybrex story. Truly disturbing descriptions of the planets they visited, and the final 'reveal' at their homeworld was perfect and thought-provoking. In that game the materialist FE was nearby and I liked to think of them as the survivors of the Cybrex war, dedicated to eradicating sentient AI after the galaxy was almost destroyed by the Cybrex.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GlyphGryph posted:

Imo gently caress the idea of the mechanics being fair and balanced I just want the game to be involve lots of interesting decisions that build emergent stories.

This can also be a big divide. To people like us who only play single player and just want cool emergent stories that are forced into consistency by good mechanics, others expect e-sports level of "balance" for their hyper-competitive multiplayer matches where everyone's just minmaxing to gently caress and doing whatever exploits or gamey poo poo possible to win.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Baronjutter posted:

This can also be a big divide. To people like us who only play single player and just want cool emergent stories that are forced into consistency by good mechanics, others expect e-sports level of "balance" for their hyper-competitive multiplayer matches where everyone's just minmaxing to gently caress and doing whatever exploits or gamey poo poo possible to win.
Yes, curse those social multiplayer types! Curse them all!!

Like I'm sure every single person who wants to have a chill MP session with their friends thinks of it as an elite e-sport. :cripes:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Chill fun social players don't ruin poo poo. It's the group I specifically described that finds all sorts of dumb exploits that then sometimes get entire options deleted because they're impossible to totally fix against anti-social hyper-competitive jerks.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Baronjutter posted:

yeah and the divide is "do you actually know what the word balance means"

there's this dumb idea that balance means homogeneity (or "consistency" if you prefer), but a well-balanced game will have more diversity because it has fewer obviously correct choices

GlyphGryph posted:

balanced mechanics are very important if you want interesting decisions! unless your idea of "interesting" is "I feel really smart for not choosing the trap choice"

Baronjutter posted:

Chill fun social players don't ruin poo poo. It's the group I specifically described that finds all sorts of dumb exploits that then sometimes get entire options deleted because they're impossible to totally fix against anti-social hyper-competitive jerks.

I, too, want broken poo poo in the game and also want to get real mad at people for using it

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Some real Star Citizen backer logic in this post.

How does Stellaris even appeal to e-sports types? I'm pretty sure this is just a huge strawman unless there's some kind of Stellaris MP league with big prizes I'm not aware of?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
As someone who has a serious commitment to get MP games going with the release of Utopia, my main concern is that within any system and/or community of a specific game any single player can find fun if they try to find it. And one of the major problems with Stellaris MP fun was that you had to be an expansionist in order to not lose all your poo poo from other players (which never feels fun)...and that even if you did so successfully, it was a pretty boring slog.

With Utopia's options for building tall and fixes to later-game lower warscore costs, though, my hope is that this time around it'll be dynamic enough that, in conjunction with just a bit of inter-player diplomacy, everyone has an opportunity to find fun if they look for it in their own unique way.

At no point whatsoever did I have any concern about exploits or such things, because so long as the group has a generally agreeable nature such things can be agreed upon to be avoided at the penalty of a ban anyway. Plus they'll always be there to be found, especially in newer games with little time to mature. The only problem is when there are too many of them, so many that it's not worth it to go through the effort. And Utopia's the first part of fixing that side of things for me, with the war and diplomacy update that is to come probably being the second part.

And of all the pdox games, Stellaris is easily the furthest from any kind of valid e-sports, sans perhaps CK2 lol.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

CrazyLoon posted:

And of all the pdox games, Stellaris is easily the furthest from any kind of valid e-sports, sans perhaps CK2 lol.
Yeah, this was my reaction. It's way too slow to appeal on any level to that type of player. These are the kind of people who can't play a single match/game for more than an hour and not be bored, I really can't understand the fear or loathing toward that sort of gamer.

• Locked thread