Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Merauder posted:

It is a shame that the TCG itch isn't scratched by LCGs, and you're right, that underlying desire is stronger than people realize.

I think that the lack of limited format support or design friendliness is a big big part of this. My group stuck with MtG for so long because of drafting, even after they all stopped playing standard and modern. They really like AGoT, but it's more casual and hasn't taken hold nearly as deep for them unfortunately. The lack of trading or weekly tournament support also hurts the scene for them. I'm trying to get a dedicated night going for Thrones, but might have to concede to making it an open card gaming night which is better than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

I think that the lack of limited format support or design friendliness is a big big part of this. My group stuck with MtG for so long because of drafting, even after they all stopped playing standard and modern. They really like AGoT, but it's more casual and hasn't taken hold nearly as deep for them unfortunately. The lack of trading or weekly tournament support also hurts the scene for them. I'm trying to get a dedicated night going for Thrones, but might have to concede to making it an open card gaming night which is better than nothing.

Yeah, that definitely makes a difference. I'm going to look into investing into enough Thrones Draft Starters & Packs to host a full draft without any players needing to commit to anything which might help that. If Destiny ends up with a reasonable limited format (and FFG solves the supply issue) it's probably the death knell for my hopes of getting GoT off the ground though. :(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, we were talking about Destiny's draft potential in its thread but it has a lot of issues of character dependency with no reliable way of guaranteeing you'll open enough. FFG just seems to not prioritize limited play when designing any of their card games. I can't really think of any way to change the design or distribution of either to make it better though, but at least cube drafting is a solid solution for both AGoT and SWD, with the caveat that you may need a starter pool of neutrals or something.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'll probably take a stab at building an updated version of this soon:
http://www.whitebookpodcast.com/cube-draft-introducing-the-agot-second-edition-cube/
I might augment it with some of the valyrian draft stuff.

I'm also thinking about some way to build sealed since we like that for more casual play. Maybe build boosters that are separated by factions.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Not sure how many people know about this but there's a pretty solid Agot 2.0 online client up:

http://theironthrone.net/play

There's still some minor bugs and whatnot, but there's already a ton of animation and they seem to constantly make updates. I've been getting in some games on there and it's nice, i definitely prefer it to OCTGN

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

alansmithee posted:

Not sure how many people know about this but there's a pretty solid Agot 2.0 online client up:

http://theironthrone.net/play

There's still some minor bugs and whatnot, but there's already a ton of animation and they seem to constantly make updates. I've been getting in some games on there and it's nice, i definitely prefer it to OCTGN

Chiming in to say that this is a fine interface. There're still some interactions that aren't coded in well (The White Tree comes to mind), but there are workarounds if your opponent isn't a dick.

gently caress Caskell's Keep though.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
[edit] Wrong thread, sorry!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Revive thread! New GoT spoilers, Targ looking loving evil.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/2/10/the-fall-of-astapor/

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anyone know a place to get the last two cycles for Warhammer 40k on the cheap?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Why does Grey Worm have intrigue, thematically?

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Both the Targ spoilers don't seem strong at all to me.

Speed dating Margaery on the other hand....now that's a card

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

GrandpaPants posted:

Why does Grey Worm have intrigue, thematically?

Perhaps because he's used to invade Meereen through the sewers, and becomes involved with Dany's strategies and planning? I dunno, it's a bit thin.

The Astapor location seems crazy good though, for perpetually empowering Dracarys and Plaza to be able to kill even tougher characters.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Both the Targ spoilers don't seem strong at all to me.

Speed dating Margaery on the other hand....now that's a card

Where was she spoiled?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Does anyone have a cube format or something to do with all their old Doomtown Reloaded cards?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Does anyone have a cube format or something to do with all their old Doomtown Reloaded cards?

Are we talking the old old ones or is the new Doomtown dead already? Did it even take off?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MikeCrotch posted:

Are we talking the old old ones or is the new Doomtown dead already? Did it even take off?

Yeah, Doomtown Reloaded has been brought to an end. That game has no luck.

Someone on the Facebook group has made a list of six decks you can build simultaneously from two cores and a full set of saddlebags, if that's of use.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

Yeah, Doomtown Reloaded has been brought to an end. That game has no luck.

Someone on the Facebook group has made a list of six decks you can build simultaneously from two cores and a full set of saddlebags, if that's of use.

Can you post them here? Thanks!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

MikeCrotch posted:

First year seemed good, then AEG decided that the competitive game market wasn't one they wanted to be in so they sold L5R and the writing was on the wall for DT:R at that point. So they basically stopped marketing the game. Granted the game wasn't perfect and AEG still couldn't hire the best artists or rules lawyers that actually talked to people on the design team but it was still better than no Doomtown.

I would advise against trying to make a cube out of it, too many of the cards are designed in a bubble that relies on specific deck choices which might not be possible in a draft. You'd almost certainly run into players having money issues unless you weighted the diamonds heavily. Gadgets and Spells wouldn't even work if you weren't able to get someone who could create the gadget or cast the spell.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
e: still the wrong thread

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Arkham FAQ

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/2/15/hints-of-a-terrible-truth/

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
More cards are being released for Doomtown Reloaded! I can't tell if they're going to continue to make more sets or these are simply the leftover unreleased sets that the playtesters had been testing before the game was canned. That PledgeManager poo poo is moonspeak to me because I don't KickStart anything, but $165 for everything sounds good. I'm way too lazy right now to sort my cards and make sure I have everything, and I'm not buying more sets because everyone who used to play it has moved on to other games.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/545820095/deadlands-classic-20th-anniversary-edition/posts/1809098

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
New cards have been mentioned in the Facebook group. Unfortunately if you know some of the names involved it's not the best sign. Very much a "loudest names in the community" deal, which is pretty much the number one problem with Doomtown.

Edit: what I mean is yes there'll be more Doomtown, but it'll continue to be sloppily templated and often badly designed.

Single Tight Female fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 17, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Single Tight Female posted:

New cards have been mentioned in the Facebook group. Unfortunately if you know some of the names involved it's not the best sign. Very much a "loudest names in the community" deal, which is pretty much the number one problem with Doomtown.

Edit: what I mean is yes there'll be more Doomtown, but it'll continue to be sloppily templated and often badly designed.

I'm pretty sure there were two cards in the same set that did the same exact thing but were templated differently, and that's where I decided to stop.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey so I'm playing through LOTR with a friend online. I was using a Glorfindel/Galadriel/Boromir deck but he started using a deck with Glorfindel and ally Galadriel (along with Aragorn, Arwen, and Steward of Gondor) so I need something else that isn't a pile of garbage hobbit decks and I haven't kept up with the new cards in months. Anyone have good decks they wanna share?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/2/21/calling-the-banners-1/

Pretty good article about agendas and how Banner's are under-performing and why. I definitely think mono is the way to go right now, and half of my decks are still fealty, with the other half being a mix of the other non-banner agendas. Is anyone still running X/Lion or other popular lists from early in the game?

Also, how has Valar affected your local scene?

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
It's not hard to imagine that mono>banners. It's difficult to find non loyal cards strong enough to justify losing ~1 gold worth of value every turn (Summer/Winter/Fealty) and it's easier to make mono decks as the card pool grows as each faction has less need to splash.

I'm trying to kick the bad habit of playing banner decks myself but it's so addictive ):

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Greyjoy and Bara I think both offer a lot for bannering, but otherwise it's just not very useful anymore. I actually think the need to have 12 cards is more the issue than the gold loss-for most banners that means you're stuck putting in jank like the 1 cost reducers or whatever, and most of the subthemes in factions that you would want to include aren't developed enough to flesh them out fully, when you also consider you lose out on your own faction reducers/limited location being used. Fealty's kinda default just because it's there imo-I don't actually think it's that good for most situations as few houses have the number of loyals to make it worthwhile, while also not having things that kneel their house card and not wanting another agenda. There's probably some fealty decks I'd swap to lion for instance if I could run Tyrion/Hound alone, but there's not enough other stuff to support them imo.

I do think Night's Watch could actually have a successful reverse banner (since so few of their key cards are loyal) but I've not messed around with it much as I've been getting bored of the do nothing decks that seem to be popular.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

alansmithee posted:

I do think Night's Watch could actually have a successful reverse banner (since so few of their key cards are loyal) but I've not messed around with it much as I've been getting bored of the do nothing decks that seem to be popular.

I've been playing Night's Watch for a long time in this way. My go-to deck has been Martell/Banner of the Watch, that has I think 12 or 16 Martell cards, and the rest are NW or neutral. But I enjoy the construction of a defensive wall (literally I suppose) / control style deck, and I'm not sure there's another way a false banner Watch deck could go yet. When the NW Box comes out it's looking like they're pushing the more aggressive side of the faction more though, so hopefully people will be able to play more interactive Watch soon.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The problem with Bara banner is that it's dependent on drawing Melisandre and not having her killed or otherwise disabled. I don't really see any other point in bannering for Bara otherwise, unless I'm forgetting swathes of non-loyal cards that are good and not just random fodder.

I find Tyrell banners to be pretty good for power rush decks with a good economy, since you can get Loras and Randyll and I think someone else with Renown. And Marj is always a solid support character.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
One criticism I have of FFG's LCGs is that they try to play the factions up a bit too much with Loyal in aGoT, or influence costs in Netrunner, X affilitation only in Star Wars. I think that's a poor system that was grandfathered in from games like L5R and I was hoping after Netrunner we'd see them move away from it.

I get that thematically they want to restrict certain characters to certain factions, and that they also want to design factions as unique but honestly in something like aGoT it really works against them because now we're not seeing any faction representation at all except from the hardcores faction players, which is what we saw in L5R too. I believe that they designed this way, because it's easier to test decks in a bubble of their own faction. When you see powerful cards arise, you can slot them into existing deck structures and test them more easily to see how to balance them. Basically, less cross faction cards, means less combos, means easier testing.

I do think it's holding their games back a bit. It's one thing that's great about Magic is that they balanced around the cards not the factions. Too often recently, we've seen FFG have to put effort into making a specific faction better.

I know it's not going to happen with L5R either, though I wish it would. I'm honestly pretty curious how they're going to make L5R not feel similar to aGoT, since L5R is basically samurai themed aGoT.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think the problem will only continue to get worse as each house gets a deeper pool. They will have to introduce new agendas that allow or encourage creative multi-housing like the Knights agenda from that draft thing. I would love to be able to build a rainbow deck of all factions but have the agenda impose some sort of penalty on unique character's cost or something similar.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
NW Winter decks are a thing and pretty strong with Qhorin out too. 2 Claim, extra kills and choke adds up quick.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Influence costs in Netrunner were fine, the problem was that FFG decided the best way to break up the colour pie for runners was to work out what each of the three runner factions did, design a load of good cards around those three focuses, then give all of those cards to Anarchs.

Star Wars had a similar problem, where FFG were basically allergic to putting good cards that would fit well with the Rebel theme actually in the Rebel allegiance.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I'd assume they'll add more agendas that focus on traits and let you have multiple factions included (likely army, kingsguard, maester, knights, maybe small council, etc will all get one). Also alliance is coming up which lets you double-banner if you would like. I also assume at some point we'll start seeing dual-faction characters like in Agot 1.0, but I could be wrong.

As it stands, I kinda like the hard factions-it lets them build cards that are much more powerful without necessarily just tagging everything as loyal. And faction imbalance is definitely a thing, but I think it's getting a bit better and it does seem to be something the design team keeps on their radar. Also comparing factions to colors in M:tG isn't really accurate because they serve different purposes and operate differently-colors in magic are limited by your ability to produce the proper type of resource to pay for whatever, whereas there's really only one resource in AGoT that pays for everything equally. .They could've went with the system in AGoT 1.0 where you'd pay extra for non-faction cards but I assume they wanted to make sure there wasn't as much faction bleed/mistakes if they did make a character that was out of faction.

And as for Bara banner, Asshai priestess and fiery followers are both solid cards, seen in flames is an all-star, and painted table is getting close to all-star status (some people are even calling for it to be restricted). Add in Mel and you have a great 12-15 card package where nothing's ever particularly useless (outside of the times you have seen in flames and no asshai, but that should be rare).

And as for L5R, I have a feeling it'll play out quite a bit different from AGoT, even though it seems like it should be similar. The original wasn't particularly similar in how it played out.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Does anyone else feel LOTR LCG is too snowbally? I feel like most games I lose I got stomped early on before I could get properly set up and most games I win I was cruising to victory for half the game

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Does anyone else feel LOTR LCG is too snowbally? I feel like most games I lose I got stomped early on before I could get properly set up and most games I win I was cruising to victory for half the game

As a huge advocate and apologist for LOTR LCG, yes. If you're not building for the quest, you're setting yourself up for failure. If you expect to fail, you have to build to recover from that, in terms of hero recursion or threat reset or whatever. You can build general workhorse decks that will be able to deal with probably half the quests on normal difficulty and 4/5ths on easy but they're usually pretty rote and not super exciting to pilot.

Some of this is exacerbated playing solo - especially one handed if you're doing that. To be blunt, the game is built for two player. It does one, goes to four, but realistically everything about it plays to two best.

You weren't asking, but Arkham Horror LCG seems massively informed by this. In fact it learns from every mistake FFG have made over a half dozen card games and builds and improves on them. As someone who owns every single godforsaken card for LOTR LCG, I'd advise jumping ship unless A] you're married to the lore or B] you own every single godforsaken card for LOTR LCG.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I uh, play on OCTGN and AH seems to only be on TTS and gently caress playing card games on TTS. It does look a lot better tho

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

I uh, play on OCTGN and AH seems to only be on TTS and gently caress playing card games on TTS. It does look a lot better tho

I really wish there was an OCTGN module for Arkham Horror.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Faith will tide you over until that's the case. It's just better and someone will realise that and a module will be born. Praise be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

StashAugustine posted:

Game has a bad case of front loading the difficulty.

Also there is an OCTGN module for AH:

https://github.com/GeckoTH/arkham-horror

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 24, 2017