Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
moore's law may be dead, but them flops are still growing at an accelerating rate thanks to gpu compute and ever bigger+cheaper chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

didn't see this in the last few pages, probably because sha and cloudflare really managed to outclass it but:

it took Google over a year to discover that one of their self-driving car research managers downloaded 10GB of design files and blueprints to an SD card after searching for information on how to access the document repository and installing a program to allow him to do so, all on a google-provided company laptop which he then reformatted.

that didn't set off any alarms. they also didn't think to check the logs when he started telling other employees in the department that he intended to start his own company to replicate the technology. or when he resigned with zero notice. or when he stared his own self-driving car company. only after after Uber bought the company in August for $600M, citing the company's LIDAR technology did they check.

but they didn't do anything until one of their suppliers hosed up and cc-ed google a copy of a render of Uber's LIDAR board (which also means Uber is exchanging confidential documents back and forth via email) which was very close to google's extremely customized design and only then they started to investigate

here's the lawsuit filing:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7dzPLynxaXuQjY3dkllZ2ZKb0k/view

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 24, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

didn't see this in the last few pages, probably because sha and cloudflare really managed to outclass it but:

it took Google over a year to discover that one of their self-driving car research managers downloaded 10GB of design files and blueprints to an SD card after searching for information on how to access the document repository and installing a program to allow him to do so, all on a google-provided company laptop which he then reformatted.

that didn't set off any alarms. they also didn't think to check the logs when he started telling other employees in the department that he intended to start his own company to replicate the technology. or when he resigned with zero notice. or when it was revealed he had started a competing self-driving car company. or when that company way bought by Uber in August for $600M.

no, one of their suppliers hosed up and cc-ed google a copy of a render of Uber's LIDAR board (which also means Uber is exchanging confidential documents back and forth via email) which was very close to google's extremely customized design and only then they started to investigate

here's the lawsuit filing:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7dzPLynxaXuQjY3dkllZ2ZKb0k/view

is that really surprising though? i read about how MS gives you access to everything once you join their brotherhood. and they had enough snoopware installed that they can figure it all out in the end

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

spankmeister posted:

u can still do tls between buttflare and the servers, i think it's what they recommend

still requires cloudflare to end up with plaintext forms of the html to do their magic which would be unexceptable for password manager data

zen death robot posted:

actually we use the strict https implementation so it's using tls the whole way through

i unconsciously clicked the NICE! button under your post, am liking having you around

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hifi posted:

is that really surprising though? i read about how MS gives you access to everything once you join their brotherhood. and they had enough snoopware installed that they can figure it all out in the end

it is a hell of a lot easier to keep the barn door closed in the first place than have to do forensic work to track the horse down.

I can understand missing the laptop reformatting but a manager at a highly confidential R&D lab quitting with zero notice probably should have triggered some sort of review.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

hifi posted:

just goes to show these places might actually be a nice place to work at tbh.

when i last changed workplaces, my now-ex boss was super salty about me going to work at another web agency, mentioning poo poo like trade secrets, competition, and whatnot

(we ended up taking a few of their clients a couple years down the road cause their shop was such a shitshow lmao)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the filing says they had suspicions when he left and checked the logs when the company got bought by uber

they presumably didn't check as soon as he started talking to those other employees because those employees aren't little shits who rat out every coworker who's thinking of leaving

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shifty Pony posted:

it is a hell of a lot easier to keep the barn door closed in the first place than have to do forensic work to track the horse down.

I can understand missing the laptop reformatting but a manager at a highly confidential R&D lab quitting with zero notice probably should have triggered some sort of review.

well here's the thing: it's a relatively minor project to google as a whole, and google only had reason to start caring once the guy's startup actually started to get a bunch of money and bought out by a juicy target with even more money.

he could just have easily not really attracted any interest and his company slowly die off, and there'd be nothing in it for google to get after him.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

hifi posted:

Truga posted:

just goes to show these places might actually be a nice place to work at tbh.

agreed with both of these

don't work anywhere that doesn't trust you enough to let you know whats going on across the company

also don't work anywhere that trusts you enough to not keep an eye on what you do with that access

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
apple ditched supermicro over servers with compromised firmware

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

pr0zac posted:

agreed with both of these

don't work anywhere that doesn't trust you enough to let you know whats going on across the company

also don't work anywhere that trusts you enough to not keep an eye on what you do with that access

that just means that if someone compromises a login or (more likely) a person jumps on a workstation someone forgot to lock they can get everything and frame someone else for it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

weird how no longer manufacturing your own servers means your vendor might be lovely.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Leng told The Information that Apple was the only company to report the firmware issue, and he said the servers are used by thousands of customers. He asserted that when his company asked Apple's engineers to provide information about the firmware, they gave an incorrect version number—and then refused to give further information.

i have a feeling someone was spying on apple specifically and also found a bug in supermicro firmware to exploit. also i guess this means i can't buy supermicro anymore, which is a drat shame

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Shifty Pony posted:

that just means that if someone compromises a login or (more likely) a person jumps on a workstation someone forgot to lock they can get everything and frame someone else for it.

and yet people keep doing it no matter how many times i tell them not to and/or no matter how many people get in giant poo poo when someone emails something ignorant to the jerk's entire contact list

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Truga posted:

i have a feeling someone was spying on apple specifically and also found a bug in supermicro firmware to exploit. also i guess this means i can't buy supermicro anymore, which is a drat shame

supermicros security has never been great. their ipmi has been real bad in the past.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah but I just leave ipmi on a separate vlan and that takes care of that

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

rjmccall posted:

the filing says they had suspicions when he left and checked the logs when the company got bought by uber

they presumably didn't check as soon as he started talking to those other employees because why would you sue a startup for damages when you could sue Uber

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i mean, that too

but i guess it shouldn't surprise me that the yospos labor solidarity brigade would actually be first in line to report their coworkers for un-corporate activity

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Where's that security poster who always shills for cloudflare lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rjmccall posted:

i mean, that too

but i guess it shouldn't surprise me that the yospos labor solidarity brigade would actually be first in line to report their coworkers for un-corporate activity

information security is job security

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

rjmccall posted:

i mean, that too

i'd feel different if uber stole the cure for cancer

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

emoji posted:

Probably still busy changing passwords all over the place.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BiohazrD posted:

lomarf

code:
/* generated code */
if ( ++p == pe )
    goto _test_eof;

Yeah, I was coming here to post that. WE HAVE KNOWN BETTER FOR loving DECADES. Does Cloudflare have code review? Is it entirely done by drunks?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

emoji posted:

has there ever been one? i can't remember

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol why would anyone ever buy supermicro? they are universally trash

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

information security is job security

hifi posted:

i'd feel different if uber stole the cure for cancer

lol, look at all this post-hoc rationalization for running to management whenever a co-worker mentions they're unhappy

:cry: but they might be stealing our secrets, you don't know :cry:

google will probably literally make money from this dipshit stealing their ip

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Truga posted:

technically, git isn't vulnerable to shattered thing because it salts its commits or somesuch and that issue is due to them using git-svn, but it should move off sha1 anyway, today shattered works, in 5 years plain old brute force will

i went to read
https://blog.agilebits.com/2017/02/23/three-layers-of-encryption-keeps-you-safe-when-ssltls-fails/
and the way I understand it:

technically, your password container is perfectly safe. your poo poo only gets synced within the context of the container encryption, so cloudflare never had direct access to your indivitual passwods. but, the password you use to log into their site (and cloud service?) would be sent in plaintext under https.

since cloudflare terminates https on their end to provide caching services etc, your password would have to exist in plaintext on their server, which isn't too big a deal (unless you're a paranoid little poo poo like me, I don't even trust my password container to cloud services, much less my pw to it), unless someone can read cloudflare's memory. oops!

i dunno what happens after you log into your 1password account, or if the container password is the same password as your 1password password, but i imagine it is, and in that case, start changing all the passwords. not like it'll be a lot more than you have to either way, a shitton of things use cloudflare and you have to change those in any case. :v:

but first, change your 1password pw, if you haven't already.

Sorry I'm security ignorant. AgileBits is saying I don't need to change my master password. What's wrong with their explanation stating that my master password is safe

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i guess the self driving car project must have been its very own little silo because this probably wouldn't have happened if it was developed on core google infra

google has their own homebrew vcs called piper built on top of all their in house distributed computing poo poo and it has all sorts of features to prevent stuff like this from happening. it presents to the developer machine's os as a fuse filesystem, administrators can tag certain subsections of the repository as super duper trade secret confidential and flag anybody who even attempts to access it, they can also purge stuff out of the history and find out who even looked at the stuff that got purged

sounds like somebody hosed up

(n.b. i have never worked for google, this is all stuff they've crowed about in publications about their infrastructure)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

wouldn't it be awful if i changed my passwords for nothing

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ate all the Oreos posted:

christ you have a lot of plugins why you got so many plugins plugin man
you can hide them in the three dots menu too so those are the ones they choose to see

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Sorry I'm security ignorant. AgileBits is saying I don't need to change my master password. What's wrong with their explanation stating that my master password is safe

is master password the thing you need to unlock your safe and also different from your 1password login and can't be recovered if you forget it? if so, then yes, it's 100% safe.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

i guess the self driving car project must have been its very own little silo because this probably wouldn't have happened if it was developed on core google infra

google has their own homebrew vcs called piper built on top of all their in house distributed computing poo poo and it has all sorts of features to prevent stuff like this from happening. it presents to the developer machine's os as a fuse filesystem, administrators can tag certain subsections of the repository as super duper trade secret confidential and flag anybody who even attempts to access it, they can also purge stuff out of the history and find out who even looked at the stuff that got purged

sounds like somebody hosed up

(n.b. i have never worked for google, this is all stuff they've crowed about in publications about their infrastructure)

did they switch to Piper because of China?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Truga posted:

i was thinking of buying a supermicro motherboard to build an nas at some point but i guess i'm not doing that anymore lol

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Truga posted:

is master password the thing you need to unlock your safe and also different from your 1password login and can't be recovered if you forget it? if so, then yes, it's 100% safe.

the thing you can't recover is the secret account code. I guess I'll reset my password when I get home anyway(you know, why not) but it does seem like they're saying even that isn't necessary.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

google has their own homebrew vcs called piper built on top of all their in house distributed computing poo poo and it has all sorts of features to prevent stuff like this from happening.

he was a manager in the lidar group, not some rando. why would you think he wouldn't have legit access to everything he stole

people walk out of companies with confidential materials all the time, there's no practical way to completely eliminate that possibility short of military-level precautions that civilian employees won't put up with, and proactively suing every suspect ex-employee is a good way of ensuring you don't have current employees. it's just that most ex-employees don't immediately turn around around and openly sell their exfiltrated trade secrets for half a billion dollars to the closest major competitor

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

pseudorandom name posted:

I'm just going to drop this right over here.

http://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2016/7/204032-why-google-stores-billions-of-lines-of-code-in-a-single-repository/fulltext

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

pseudorandom name posted:

nah it was for perf. google had the largest perforce deployment anywhere and the load was eventually too high for a centralized system. china never got in to the high ip sections afaik.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

nah it was for perf. google had the largest perforce deployment anywhere and the load was eventually too high for a centralized system. china never got in to the high ip sections afaik.
As far as the public statements went anyway, the high IP wasn't what interested China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

zen death robot posted:

actually we use the strict https implementation so it's using tls the whole way through

as mentioned this doesn't matter at all in this case. the bug dumped data in memory from after it was decrypted for inspection and such.

but yeah the option to do the cloudflare to origin half of the connection unencrypted is v stupid. sadly people want it because they want that special green lock to inspire customer trust or some bullshit and use a service that can't get its poo poo together and provide TLS in tyool 2017

• Locked thread