Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Is maraschino liqueur the stuff that comes in the jar or an actual alcoholic product? Also creme de violette may be hard to find with our stupid state-owned liquor stores but I'll see what I can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Boilermaker

Two shots of rye dropped in a pint of beer.

Malah
May 18, 2015

SubponticatePoster posted:

They don't cause combos in 2 so I forget to use them 99% of the time. In 3 though... :getin:
FLOWCHART VIOLATION DETECTED :shepface:

I have an update ready to go, but for this one I want to try something different. For those of you here who are drinkers, nominate a cocktail. If I like your suggestion I'll use it as the episode's drink.
I could use the exercise in coming up with something other than the braindead poo poo I have to make at work, should be fun.

For the sake of giving myself some parameters: where are we going on this week's magical field trip?

grack posted:

Boilermaker

Two shots of rye dropped in a pint of beer.
:wtc:

The appeal behind these sort of drinks always escapes me; probably some kind of cultural deficit on my end? I'm sincerely curious, but I just don't get it.

Malah fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 24, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
drinks if you hate yourself: cement mixer

drinks if you don't hate yourself: lemon, simple, soda, and tequila. I've heard this by many names so I don't know what the 'real' one is.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

Is maraschino liqueur the stuff that comes in the jar or an actual alcoholic product? Also creme de violette may be hard to find with our stupid state-owned liquor stores but I'll see what I can do.

An actual alcoholic product, one that actually contains Marasca cherries. Don't drink the stuff that comes with Maraschino cherries.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Psion posted:

drinks if you don't hate yourself: lemon, simple, soda, and tequila. I've heard this by many names so I don't know what the 'real' one is.

That imo can be a tequila old fashioned, slammer, or fizz depending the ratios and what glass you serve it in, though i don't truck with soda in an old fashioned personally. Most cocktails really just sub ingredients into a general formula when it comes down to it. A whiskey sour and a margarita follow the same concept and ratio: 1 part sweet, 1 part sour, 2 parts liquor. The fun of mixed drinks really is finding the magic cool things that go together :rubshands:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Malah posted:

The appeal behind these sort of drinks always escapes me; probably some kind of cultural deficit on my end? I'm sincerely curious, but I just don't get it.

Really, really smooth tasting beer.

Also it'll get you shitfaced super goddamned fast.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I can't help but feel that if garrus had to come up with a cocktail he would just buy one of those 2 gallon bottles of premixed margarita at Costco and try to drink the whole thing because gently caress this galaxy

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Something like two parts vodka, one part lingonberry juice and two parts vodka? I've no idea if that's the correct ratio and since I don't drink I've no idea what it tastes like. :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Malah posted:

For the sake of giving myself some parameters: where are we going on this week's magical field trip?
Citadel, we're gonna help our spacebro with personnel issues.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Sorry about the delay, been having technical issues. Update should be live tomorrow evening.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Harkin back to days of yore

The Drink
Sidonis Special
2 oz gin
1/2 oz Kirsch
1/2 oz Creme de Violette
1 oz lemon juice

Add all to shaker with ice, shake and strain into a martini glass.

The drinking game
Drink every time Garrus says something edgy.

The Episode
Garrus's loyalty mission. We go to the Citadel to track down Fade. Bailey points us in the right direction and we find a volus who isn't Fade but happily gives him up. Turns out Fade is our old pal Harkin, the drunk C-Sec officer from ME1. This sort of explains how he's good at evading arrest, but then again not really. Send some plainclothes guy down there, don't advertise it over the radio or add a goddamn data entry and he should have been easy to catch. Then we go to a warehouse overrun with Blue Suns and killer robits. C-Sec really fell down on the job here. After exploding everything we let Garrus kick the poo poo out of Harkin for a bit. He sets up a meeting and then we stand by and also let Garrus shoot him because Harkin was a skeezy rear end in a top hat.

Prior to meeting with Sidonis we berate Garrus hypocritically about killing a single guy who probably deserves it, then completely gently caress up his plan. However Garrus is our bro and doesn't mind. This is a weird loyalty mission because as long as you do it, he's loyal. There's no way to gently caress it up. Also, you'd think sparing or killing him would come up in 3 but it doesn't. It's never mentioned again. All in all this mission is kind of dumb, which is kind of a shame.

A note on the music, I don't generally use the same track for the intro and mission but I wanted to give her a bit of a plug. She's a kickass lady, find her band on Spotify for a listen if you like punk-ish tunes. You can buy it (if you still do such things) from Amazon or iTunes.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"Wait... I'm not the one you want to talk to. I'm not Fade."
Okay. :downs:

The Elcor Hamlet ad. Insincere endorsement. :roflolmao:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You missed a sniper rifle damage upgrade that's on a computer in that tiny in-between room after you and garrus talk about all the mean things you're going to do to Fade and his Robots. I only remember this because I replayed ME2 a few weeks ago and unfortunately you don't have the luxury of being able to save-hack upgrades back in :(

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kurieg posted:

You missed a sniper rifle damage upgrade that's on a computer in that tiny in-between room after you and garrus talk about all the mean things you're going to do to Fade and his Robots. I only remember this because I replayed ME2 a few weeks ago and unfortunately you don't have the luxury of being able to save-hack upgrades back in :(
Aw balls. Well, it's not like we're having trouble killing dudes.

Poil posted:

The Elcor Hamlet ad. Insincere endorsement. :roflolmao:

Me, from the Mass Effect 1 LP posted:

We meet some of the other major races in ME, the elcor and volus. Elcor are big cow-like things who speak in monotone. Insincere endorsement, this is a great LP and you should watch it.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I can figuratively hear your pain whenever you hack
It's annoying even with the mouse, where you can hack everything in 3-5 seconds, I can't imagine how terrible it is with a controller

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Garrus came back kind of murder-y

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I feel like they put the Cain into ME2 specifically for the places they put 2 heavy mechs in front of you.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kibayasu posted:

I feel like they put the Cain into ME2 specifically for the places they put 2 heavy mechs in front of you.
I think whoever put it in the game had some kind of mental breakdown (in a good way) to think "hey let's stick a portable nuke launcher in there." You have to get heavy weapon upgrades to unlock it, but once you know where those are you can meta your way into it pretty early and then nuke everything. Its only limitation is the ammo situation, but generally one shot'll do ya.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

The cain is so good it almost feels like it invalidates the other heavy weapons. I actually liked the collector beam gun and just the bog standard grenade launcher was a great weapon for putting down heavy mechs or clusters of mercs alike; the flamethrower was a spicy choice for incinerating packs of husks as well.

but then you get the cain and you always feel let down by weapons setting the bar lower than nuclear hellfire

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Alexeythegreat posted:

I can figuratively hear your pain whenever you hack
It's annoying even with the mouse, where you can hack everything in 3-5 seconds, I can't imagine how terrible it is with a controller
The mod that instantly auto-completes the hacking minigames is such a massive quality of life tweak that I'll never play ME2 without it again. For some reason that mod didn't exist until quite recently, you'd think that kind of thing would've been among the first user-created content for ME2 (along with the mod that shortens the loading screen animations).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

in ME3 they cut out the hacking for everything except for secured doors, and even then it's just a hidden loading screen with no mini-game while Shepard literally punches the door open with his/her omni-tool.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

I think whoever put it in the game had some kind of mental breakdown (in a good way) to think "hey let's stick a portable nuke launcher in there." You have to get heavy weapon upgrades to unlock it, but once you know where those are you can meta your way into it pretty early and then nuke everything. Its only limitation is the ammo situation, but generally one shot'll do ya.

I hope you use it on a certain mission later on a ship. Who needs to fight waves of badguys right?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Or use it inside your own ship at the start of the climax.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'm pretty sure the real purpose of the Cain is that it allows you to completely ignore many of the more obnoxious bosses/fights, there's one in specific that it's almost perfectly designed for. Until you get to higher difficulties but why would you do that to yourself anyway?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Regalingualius posted:

Or use it inside your own ship at the start of the climax.
I did that once. Killed the Oculus right away.

(And me, and Zaeed, and Grunt...) :laugh:

Next Update's Ingredients
Prosecco
St Germain
Pomegranate juice

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Sorry about the delay, guys. I've been sick as a dog going on a week now and I don't think anyone wants to hear me wheezing and snuffling my way through an episode.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It could work if it took place on Omega. But yes please rest and get well soon.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Poil posted:

please rest and get well soon.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ina Godda da Vido

The Drink
Jessie
4 oz Prosecco
2 oz St Germain
1/2 oz pomegranate juice

Add all ingredients to a flute glass (or if you're a barbarian like me and don't have an actual flute a white wine glass).

The Drinking Game
In honor of Jessie drink every time Zaeed shoots someone or something. Gameplay as well as cutscenes.

The Episode
As you'll probably be able to tell from my commentary I've been sick, so apologies for still sounding a bit like Droopy Dog. For today's adventure we go off to some lovely jungle planet ostensibly to take back a refinery. When we get there it's on fire because of course it is. Turns out Zaeed sort of lied to us and he doesn't give two shits about the refinery but is there to kill his ex-partner, Vido Santiago, with whom he founded the Blue Suns a couple decades ago. On one hand this is sort of surprising and on the other hand I don't know why we (or anyone else for that matter) would really give a gently caress. I mean Samara's deep dark secret is her daughter is a mutant freak serial killer and Zaeed's is just...I started a business?

Zaeed starts the show off with a bang which makes even more things catch on fire. The paragon responses are pretty stupid in that we would have ragged on him for doing probably the same drat thing if given the opportunity. Then we get into an argument about what the purpose of the mission is. Again (other than the possibility of workers burning to death) we berate him about the mission which wasn't ours to begin with. It's his mission, we were helping and aside from the barbecue if he wanted to go pissing off I don't know why we'd care. Since we waited and scored enough Paragon points we save the workers. You can decide to screw the workers over and then you get to hear explosions and screams for the rest of it. You also get a more direct route to the end room, but the fight plays out exactly the same.

Then Vido gets away, Zaeed gets mad, gets exploded, and using the power of friendship we still make him see things our way. You can also leave him to die but only an idiot would do that. If you do decide to not save the workers you're treated with a fairly badass scene of Vido getting lit the gently caress up. I was hoping you'd get some resolution in 3 but you don't. Sorry Zaeed :(

I'm going to do a video taking care of a couple of sidequests but then we're into Act III and the endgame. There are also 2 DLC's to wrap up, but neither one is really long and I'll do them postgame since once we do the next story mission a hidden timer starts and we'll have to wrap things up quick or bad stuff happens. Andromeda launches next week so I expect I'll be playing the poo poo out of that when I'm not working on the LP.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm pretty sure that if you wait to do Tali's loyalty mission until after the reaper IFF, it will still give you the SECRET BONUS MISSION before the bad stuff happens.

This also allows you to bring a certain squad member on Tali's Loyalty mission, which is hilarious and I hope you do it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kurieg posted:

I'm pretty sure that if you wait to do Tali's loyalty mission until after the reaper IFF, it will still give you the SECRET BONUS MISSION before the bad stuff happens.

This also allows you to bring a certain squad member on Tali's Loyalty mission, which is hilarious and I hope you do it.
Yup, it's metagaming all to hell but totally worth it.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Wouldn't that just be being drunk while standing up

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

grunt looks positively glorious peering over the waterfall and being illuminated like that :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zaeed is a moron, if he hadn't started blowing the place up there wouldn't have been... wait, nevermind. They still would have shoehorned in a save people or kill the baddie decision. It's not like we basically have hotline access to the Shadowbrooker and could easily track him down again later or anything. And we certainly don't have a powerful stealth ship in orbit which could blast the bad guy's ship into smithereens with no warning. :effort:

Was Shepard headbutting that robot in the crotch?

Poil fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 17, 2017

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Then Vido gets away, Zaeed gets mad, gets exploded, and using the power of friendship we still make him see things our way. You can also leave him to die but only an idiot would do that. If you do decide to not save the workers you're treated with a fairly badass scene of Vido getting lit the gently caress up.

And Zaeed walking away from the flames as Vido screams like a wimp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6EVOpIgc8I

:fireman:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Poil posted:

Zaeed is a moron, if he hadn't started blowing the place up there wouldn't have been... wait, nevermind. They still would have shoehorned in a save people or kill the baddie decision. It's not like we basically have hotline access to the Shadowbrooker and could easily track him down again later or anything. And we certainly don't have a powerful stealth ship in orbit which could blast the bad guy's ship into smithereens with no warning. :effort:

Was Shepard headbutting that robot in the crotch?
Wander over into the Andromeda thread (don't actually do this if you value your sanity) and see people losing their poo poo over how terrible Andromeda's writing is and saying that ME2 was the pinnacle of everything. I think people kind of forget there are some huge holes in ME2's writing as well. I love Mass Effect. I've sunk hundreds of hours into playing it, nevermind the hundreds more spent playing ME3MP. But people kind of forget that every game in the series has had some... we'll say missing elements in the writing. To be fair to Zaeed's mission, LotSB was DLC released after the game was completed so at the time of writing having Liara find Vido wasn't an option. But it's still a hamfisted choice.

And Shepard will headbutt anything in the crotch, so probably.

J.theYellow posted:

And Zaeed walking away from the flames as Vido screams like a wimp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6EVOpIgc8I

:fireman:
:supaburn:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Oh look what I just got:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Oh look what I just got:

As much as I appreciate how this is extremely cool and bitchin', official femshep will never for me match up to the severe schoolmarm design that I cobbled together for my Renegade run Shep.
Cheekbones so sharp you could cut yourself on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Oh look what I just got:

Niiiice

• Locked thread