Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

If it's any consolation any hostile country than can theoretically penetrate a carrier group to sink the carrier will also probably have strategic nukes which means the sinking would either be taking place in the course of, or as a prelude to, global thermonuclear war, which means a couple of naval reactors leaking into the ocean will probably be the least of anyone's problems :xd:

Actually, current generation diesel/electric boats are, ah, quite worryingly effective.

Plus, you know, our boats can't track each other unless we throw wrenches at the hull. Makes u think

E: regarding carrier launches, ours also run the engines to full burn, and planes often sink below deckplate level at departure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Grem posted:

Yea, so much hype was around the dude winning with "unconventional" tactics but really he's just that guy that makes you wanna flip tables at Magic tournaments.
He's the guy who shows up to standard FNM with a deck loaded with old cards, then claims "oh I thought that got reprinted" when he gets called on it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If it's any consolation any hostile country than can theoretically penetrate a carrier group to sink the carrier will also probably have strategic nukes which means the sinking would either be taking place in the course of, or as a prelude to, global thermonuclear war, which means a couple of naval reactors leaking into the ocean will probably be the least of anyone's problems :xd:
american ASW has been in the pooper for a long time actually

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

penetrate a carrier group

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Wasn't there also a concern about Chinese medium range (non-nuclear) ballistic missiles that had the accuracy to hit a carrier? Those would be coming in with enough speed that intercepting with Aegis cruisers and CIWS systems is hit or miss, so a handful of those would have a good chance to destroy a carrier.

Of course that wouldn't happen due to the consequences, but they are hardly invincible.

And a nuclear attack would just wipe out a carrier group, there's no defense for that except the extermination of whoever started it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Wasn't there also a concern about Chinese medium range (non-nuclear) ballistic missiles that had the accuracy to hit a carrier? Those would be coming in with enough speed that intercepting with Aegis cruisers and CIWS systems is hit or miss, so a handful of those would have a good chance to destroy a carrier.

Of course that wouldn't happen due to the consequences, but they are hardly invincible.

And a nuclear attack would just wipe out a carrier group, there's no defense for that except the extermination of whoever started it.

yes, our only defense against anti ship ballistic missiles is to treat them as if they are nukes and respond accordingly

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

zedprime posted:

Turns out there's a lot of extant data on just how locked down those reactors are with respect to degradation sitting at the bottom. No data on what happens if the reactor is specifically blown the gently caress up but its not like its a compartment sitting next to the hull.

Yeah, apparently the USN keeps tabs every few years on the radiation levels around the Thresher and Scorpion wreck areas, and things seem pretty well doused over the decades.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/article/20130310/NEWS/303100355

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 24, 2017

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Dude should have gone home, put on clean underwear, then gone and bought some lottery tickets. That's incredible.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

And the red sea parted

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

And the red cee'd parted

LOUD MOUTH FAGGOT
Feb 24, 2017

by Smythe
Removed

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

LOUD MOUTH human being posted:

[4:25 PM] TylerMarket: ?

:same:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So the OSHA in here is exposure to overly verbose doxxers.
Who seriously use the term cuck.

E. Already removed, you sure put us in our place. Thanks for the forum contribution.:10bux:

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 24, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
wat

Edit: I read that whole thing before it was removed and now I think I have tuberculosis.

Anyway, back to wargaming and gaming the game chat, I read a story once of a US Army wargame in West Germany during the 70s where a platoon was accosted by a German farmer who accused their side of destroying some crops and fences of his. He insisted on speaking to their commanding officer and when he was in the tent with the CO, he pulled out a pistol and yelled "Bang!", taking the officer out of the game. He was a plant from the other side who spoke German well enough to fool his way in, and succeeded in beheading the command structure. Creative thinking is how this poo poo gets done.

Memento fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 24, 2017

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

boner confessor posted:

yes, our only defense against anti ship ballistic missiles is to treat them as if they are nukes and respond accordingly

So I'm assuming you missed the whole SM-3 and new generations of naval SAMs, because Aegis ships are carrying the most capable ABMs out there at this point.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
We need an emoticon like :words: That says "Millenium .....Challenge" because almost every thread on the forums has ran into a stupid loving derail about the fairness of that guy using missiles too large for his boats or whatever.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Dunno if it was posted already but it definitely belongs in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLPJsKXAFbw

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Also here are some things I saw while on vacation in the Dominican Republic:

An "extension cord"

The guy on the other end was putting two exposed wires into the extension cord in order to operate his drill:

Also saw this wonderful setup outside my building. The torch-on roofers set off the building's fire alarm a little later when they let too many bitumen fumes inside:

Always fun trying to explain to my girlfriend why I'm taking photos of random wires and ladders... "uhh there's this internet thing where we discuss and read about unsafe work practices... yes that is what i do for fun"

canadianclassic fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 25, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

canadianclassic posted:

Also here are some things I saw while on vacation in the Dominican Republic:

An "extension cord"

The guy on the other end was putting two exposed wires into the extension cord in order to operate his drill:

Also saw this wonderful setup outside my building. The torch-on roofers set off the building's fire alarm a little later when they let too many bitumen fumes inside:

Always fun trying to explain to my girlfriend why I'm taking photos of random wires and ladders... "uhh there's this internet thing where we discuss and read about unsafe work practices... yes that is what i do for fun"

Please stop using tinypic and use an image host that supports HTTPS instead.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Please stop using tinypic and use an image host that supports HTTPS instead.

Thanks. Was trying to figure out why those weren't working

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://zippy.gfycat.com/AnchoredLastingAquaticleech.mp4

It’s fake.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 25, 2017

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
http://i.imgur.com/o5AeL2I.gifv

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"fahrt man?????" :psyduck:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

fakeaccount posted:

I think I'd wait for the river bus not driven by the fartman

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It's saying that the Hamburg River Bus drives MAN. MAN is a company building Trucks. And a lovely pun if you translate it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fakeaccount posted:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dads can't fart box their families in those zones?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Goddamn Hamburg hipsters drinking their fritz kola on the riverbus.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I did a Duck Tour in Boston and it all went surprisingly well. Not a single incident on the river and everything worked perfectly.

Then we got back on the road and a guy with a learner's permit (which he didn't have on him when the cops arrived) driving a borrowed brand new Mercedes gunned the engine at an intersection on a rainy day, causing him to launch over the median and wedge the front of the car under our vehicle.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

that's a cadillac

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

baram. posted:

that's a cadillac

Truly, a ruined schaden.

EDIT: wrong thread, nevermind me, I'll just be going.

Bubblyblubber fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 25, 2017

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Don't kinkshame :o:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

:jamesjoyce:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

*Duh-DEEE-duh* He's the humpar, the humpar of the farts.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bubblyblubber posted:

Truly, a ruined schaden.

Is there a difference at this point?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Min humpar, min humpar, min leidilumpar
børk børk børk

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 25, 2017

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Bubblyblubber posted:

Truly, a ruined schaden.

Hey, I saw one of those last night! Didn't get a pic oh him leaning over from the not a step step and holding onto I think a sprinkler pipe.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Reminds me of the the term fartlek, which I guess fart means hill, not sure.

e: fart means speed, so speed hump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless