Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Troy Queef posted:

add me to the gang-tag list:

THIS IS WHY BERNIE LOST because y'all can't follow instructions!!!!!!! TRUMP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

thing

ChickenOfTomorrow has issued a correction as of 22:04 on Sep 28, 2021

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Just got a big fat envelope from the DSA. I hope it's my badge and gun.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Just signed up and am getting in on the conference calls over the next couple of weeks, add me for southern New Mexico!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Just got a big fat envelope from the DSA. I hope it's my badge and gun.

One guy during the meeting, when they were asking people for suggestions for group activities, went "gun range" in this grumbly low voice and everyone laughed like they couldn't tell if he was serious or not and honestly I couldn't either. Eesh.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm just joking.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

One guy during the meeting, when they were asking people for suggestions for group activities, went "gun range" in this grumbly low voice and everyone laughed like they couldn't tell if he was serious or not and honestly I couldn't either. Eesh.

literally nothing wrong with that

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

...have they even seen what the opfor is doing?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

I would have been up for that, personally speaking.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gun range and arming the left actually a good idea! go that guy.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

left wing gun culture is good

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I would have been up for that, personally speaking.

yeah seriously, a wyo dsa chapter is probably gonna pop up next month and if they're suggesting activities im totally suggesting a range day.

I'll probably suggest it during the next progressives and local Democrat meeting too now that I think about it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

What I'm saying is he made a mistake by not being clear that he was serious, and you should remedy it by making it a serious proposal at the next meeting. :v:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Nunchucks and learning how to harness our ki or nothing.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ChickenOfTomorrow has issued a correction as of 05:59 on Aug 5, 2019

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

If you're pro-gun, might as well arm yourself. If you're anti-gun, one of the fastest ways to get conservative stooges to back gun control is a visible armed left (See e.g. Reagan in California responding to the Black Panthers). It's weirdly win/win.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Nunchucks and learning how to harness our ki or nothing.

lol, just lol if you don't have a leftist HEMA group

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I also endorse basic gun literacy for all.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Words from a a smart guy

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/cafe/can-the-democrats-get-organized

quote:

For one thing, the rise of the conservative movement didn't happen through the RNC [Republican National Committee]. Conservatives successfully created a more or less coherent network of organizations linked to local, state and national politics, which is a traditional form of effective political organization in the U.S. There was the Christian Coalition which started with school boards and moved upwards to take over the Republican Party. Or there is the Koch Brothers' network. Not to mention the Tea Party or the NRA or ALEC

quote:

You look in vain for something like that on the progressive side.

It would make sense for progressives to start new organizations that just focused on school boards, water districts, and other elections where competent people could easily win elections up against batshit crazies that end up in these positions. It wouldn't change Congress but conservatives clearly were playing a long game starting in the 80s-90s and it definitely helped them weather a lot of storms.

E: Ah, Christ. Definitely meant this for the Democrats thread :(. I guess some of it holds true as lessons learned for the DSA, though.

tadashi has issued a correction as of 19:19 on Feb 24, 2017

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Oh, thanks for reminding me! For SF Bay Area chapters I intended to put together a trip to a range for a basic weapons safety training.

Need to get on that.

what if i dont own guns anymore

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lancemantis posted:

what if i dont own guns anymore

the price has been dropping since the trumpeting, now's a good time to get more

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

tadashi posted:

It would make sense for progressives to start new organizations that just focused on school boards, water districts, and other elections where competent people could easily win elections up against batshit crazies that end up in these positions. It wouldn't change Congress but conservatives clearly were playing a long game starting in the 80s-90s and it definitely helped them weather a lot of storms.

The problem is the thing that kicked it all off was them successfully telling the RNC to gently caress off and taking over the party by running McGovern and getting him nominated.

Everything that came afterwards, all that organizational work, was enabled and spread by the endorsement and funding of these external organizations by the party apparatus and donor base.

So it's a bit weird to make the claim he makes. Also, lots of mischaracterization of OurRevolution and the work they are doing despite him admitting he's completely ignorant about it. laughing my rear end off as the idea that their primary focus is Ellison. Although that one is more the fault of the interviewer prompting and leading him than anything else.

He seems to be thinking in the right direction, I do agree he sounds like a smart guy, but he seems to be speaking from a position of rather impressive ignorance in many ways as well. Like buying into the demographics is destiny myth.

I do think it has lots of good stuff in it though.

Edit: Ah, yeah, I thought it was a bit out of place here.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Feb 24, 2017

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

(it's also a link)

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

I'm going to bring this up next meeting fo sho

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I'm a Chicagoan, from Park Forest originally, and that informs my relationship with firearms. Your guys' groups in your areas might be different.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Woof Blitzer posted:

I'm going to bring this up next meeting fo sho

Leftist gun ownership group at my DSA is poppin

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

I'm a Chicagoan, from Park Forest originally, and that informs my relationship with firearms. Your guys' groups in your areas might be different.

Im from Flint, MI, do you think firearm legislation will really make areas like ours and safer? There's already more guns than human beings in America.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Ace of Baes posted:

Im from Flint, MI, do you think firearm legislation will really make areas like ours and safer? There's already more guns than human beings in America.

I'm saying I don't really want to learn how to use a gun or be around one. Enough guns have been shot around me. I saw a kid get shot in the street before I turned 16. I'm good with not having a gun.

EDIT: that's not me cred farming or trying to shut down a talk about legislation either. I'm just trying to explicate where I personally stand on it and why a room full of almost 200 people even considering strapping up because of politics gives me a case of the existential piss shivers.

mysterious frankie has issued a correction as of 21:07 on Feb 24, 2017

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
rip this thread

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

I'm saying I don't really want to learn how to use a gun or be around one. Enough guns have been shot around me. I saw a kid get shot in the street before I turned 16. I'm good with not having a gun.

EDIT: that's not me cred farming or trying to shut down a talk about legislation either. I'm just trying to explicate where I personally stand on it and why a room full of almost 200 people even considering strapping up because of politics gives me a case of the existential piss shivers.

That's reasonable.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ace of Baes posted:

I'm sure people thought the same thing about smoking in the late 70s except about cancer and smoking related illness.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

tadashi posted:

I'm sure people thought the same thing about smoking in the late 70s except about cancer and smoking related illness.

Ya but cigarettes get consumed...There are still working guns around from WWII.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ah good, the 20 million gun chat threads weren't popping enough, glad we made it 20 million and 1

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

I hear you, actually. I did not have visceral contact with the direst ramifications of our country's gun culture but I do come from a strongly anti-gun family. The thing is conservative lobbies like the NRA are openly pushing for their toadies to adopt a posture of existential intimidation against the left and it's difficult for me to think of any response to that other than "Welp, time to arm ourselves." Maybe that makes me a knee-jerk proto-tankie, I don't know.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

tadashi posted:

Yeah, but with cigarettes we could solve the issue by smoking enough that there was no longer more cigarettes than people in America. Hell, I spent my 20s trying!

I really put in a lot of effort!

SEE

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ace of Baes posted:

Ya but cigarettes get consumed...There are still working guns around from WWII.

Yes but if you set a goal of reducing the amount of guns in society across a multi-generational campaign with sweeping gun legislation and education about gun safety - meaning that they're dangerous as gently caress and most people don't need them - you could actually make people safer from gun violence.

It took a multi-generational campaign to put guns in the hands of as many people as possible to get where we are.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Ah good, the 20 million gun chat threads weren't popping enough, glad we made it 20 million and 1

Yeah, sorry if I helped usher in the gunpocalypse.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Well, hey, on the flip side in peaceful protests multiple Republican state legislators are proposing bullshit restrictions on public assembly (ostensibly to discourage "riots" and such). Does anyone have any ideas for how we could bring this up with our locals to try and organize opposition to such legislation? Petitions? Organized calling or office visits?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I think maybe we can all agree to disagree and not poo poo on people who are Anti-gun or pro-gun? After all we all want to destroy Capitalism. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Ace of Baes posted:

I think maybe we can all agree to disagree and not poo poo on people who are Anti-gun or pro-gun? After all we all want to destroy Capitalism. :getin:

I'm sorry but this is the marxist leninists of america where we have to determine the party position on every single issue.