Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

PleasingFungus posted:

much harder to discover. you can see your clouds vanish when you move out of LOS; you can't see them not doing damage. just mysterious!

Yes it is, but then again both the status quo and the suggested change would benefit substantially from communicating this special behavior more explicitly. I guess it's a question of whether this potential for cloud micromanaging is an acceptable side effect for having ease of discovery. Admittedly I doubt I would have noticed this special behavior if clouds didn't instantly disappear, though it's also my fault for not x->v'ing my clouds.

I can live with clouds behaving as is, but using them effectively (not even "tracking squares that monsters have traversed to minimize triggering traps" optimally *shudder*) feels significantly more tedious as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

good to know

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Advice for where to go next with this guy?

code:
Pinechild the Middleweight Champion (DrTm)        Turns: 107593, Time: 09:53:48

HP:   212/212 (233) AC: 18    Str: 33    XL:     27
MP:   46/46         EV: 38    Int: 35    God:    Cheibriados [******]
Gold: 13595         SH:  3    Dex: 31    Spells: 22/65 levels left

rFire    + + .     SeeInvis .     - Unarmed
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .   (armour unavailable)
rNeg     + . .     Faith    .   (no shield)
rPois    +         Spirit   .   M - +2 hat {Int+3}
rElec    +         Reflect  +   l - +0 cloak of Pleasant Breezes {+Fly rCorr Str-4 Slay+3}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   R - +0 pair of gloves "Ytauskump" {rF++ rC+ Str-3}
MR       ++++.                  S - +0 pair of boots of Avicem {rElec Str+3 Dex+4}
Stlth    ++++++++..             q - amulet "Tiniomau" {Reflect rPois rC+ SH+3}
Regen    0.5/turn               O - ring of Summertime {rElec Str+4 Stlth+}
MPRegen  0.3/turn               N - ring of Bimnas {rCorr rN+}
6 runes right now, having just conquered the Tomb mostly through being a giant scared baby with massive stealth running away any time more than one enemy was on screen. Taking a break from my preferred Ghoul Punchman of Chei in order to instead repeatedly turn a small purple dragon into a bigger purple dragon. Not really noticing a lot of difference with the new Transmutations spell rules, but maxed Unarmed combat and Cheistats will make up for a lot of ills. Also, Lesser Beckoning is completely insane and I never want to run a melee character without it ever again, holy poo poo.

I've only ever done Extended once (with a Ghoul, so I wasn't terribly worried about contamination at the time...) so I have no idea which of the Hells or Pan would be best, or if I should instead just take the Orb and go home.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Either this is a bug or my character enjoys punching corpses:

code:
You kill the glowing orange brain!
The Council accepts your kill.
The great orb of eyes dissolves into shadows!
The spriggan defender dissolves into shadows! x2
The spriggan berserker is no longer berserk.
The spriggan berserker dissolves into shadows!
You repeatedly attack DEAD MONSTER from above!
Perhaps something to do with interactions between the wall jump and summons?

apple
May 18, 2003

Pinechild posted:

Advice for where to go next with this guy?

code:
Pinechild the Middleweight Champion (DrTm)        Turns: 107593, Time: 09:53:48

HP:   212/212 (233) AC: 18    Str: 33    XL:     27
MP:   46/46         EV: 38    Int: 35    God:    Cheibriados [******]
Gold: 13595         SH:  3    Dex: 31    Spells: 22/65 levels left

rFire    + + .     SeeInvis .     - Unarmed
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .   (armour unavailable)
rNeg     + . .     Faith    .   (no shield)
rPois    +         Spirit   .   M - +2 hat {Int+3}
rElec    +         Reflect  +   l - +0 cloak of Pleasant Breezes {+Fly rCorr Str-4 Slay+3}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   R - +0 pair of gloves "Ytauskump" {rF++ rC+ Str-3}
MR       ++++.                  S - +0 pair of boots of Avicem {rElec Str+3 Dex+4}
Stlth    ++++++++..             q - amulet "Tiniomau" {Reflect rPois rC+ SH+3}
Regen    0.5/turn               O - ring of Summertime {rElec Str+4 Stlth+}
MPRegen  0.3/turn               N - ring of Bimnas {rCorr rN+}
6 runes right now, having just conquered the Tomb mostly through being a giant scared baby with massive stealth running away any time more than one enemy was on screen. Taking a break from my preferred Ghoul Punchman of Chei in order to instead repeatedly turn a small purple dragon into a bigger purple dragon. Not really noticing a lot of difference with the new Transmutations spell rules, but maxed Unarmed combat and Cheistats will make up for a lot of ills. Also, Lesser Beckoning is completely insane and I never want to run a melee character without it ever again, holy poo poo.

I've only ever done Extended once (with a Ghoul, so I wasn't terribly worried about contamination at the time...) so I have no idea which of the Hells or Pan would be best, or if I should instead just take the Orb and go home.

You should have potions of mutation in case cacodemons or neqoxecs decide to give you a crippling mutation, and I would try and get controlled blink online if you have the book, but other than that you should be able to take on Pan/Hells. Statue form will take most of the sting out of tormentors, also don't be afraid to spam your holy word scrolls in a pinch. Chei stats + statue form/dragon form will obliterate all the remaining bosses, the main danger is in being out of position with dangerous enemies around so I like having controlled blink as a backup.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I'm only now realizing that WJC's wall kick lets you put a gap between yourself and enemies if you have to run away. You can even kick diagonally!

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Looking for advice to not screw up this FoFi^Chei http://pastebin.com/wTbSkqd7. I just blundered/blendered through Snake and am about to do Orc. The best I've done before is 2 runes on a SpEn, so suffice to say I'm probably in over my head.

My idea right now is to pivot hard into earth magic for Statue Form + Iron Shot + Shatter since I think I'm in a good spot to do the hybrid thing with armor skill, chei stats, and the quicksilver dragon armor. Is this a good idea or do I need to be working on a different strategy for late game?

Also will it ever be worth training armor or maces higher than they are now? I presume dodging is as high as it should go. When is the right time to train fighting further?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Next time do orc and then finish dungeon before going into lair branches. Orc and late D are both much easier than snake and are a good source of gear and experience.

For skills, You'll absolutely want more dodging down the line. Dodging is great for Chei characters because of your high dex. More armor would be good, but I wouldn't place it at a very high priority until you upgrade to a heavier type of armor. I would train fighting more once you've cleared lair branches, but that depends on how deep you want to go into casting. You should consider going to 20 maces and flails for a great mace. That dire flail is really good, but a great mace will do more damage, especially with chei strength.

Don't get statue form. It's of very dubious value for you since you're not an unarmed character. You don't need the defenses, it will make repositioning even harder and it will make ranged attacks suck. But, going hard into earth magic for iron shot and shatter is not a bad idea at all. You'll really want a ranged attack no matter what.

SteelNeuron
Feb 23, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

Wu Jian is definitely the most fun god in the entire game, holy poo poo. It was looking for a while like 0.20 might be mostly a sidegrade compared to 0.19 but now I can kite hydras with a polearm by kickflipping off walls

Do martial maneuvers work on invisible enemies the same way normal attacks do?

Good to hear! :)

Nope, they don't. They also don't work while confused (despite how much I'd enjoy drunken boxing style to be a thing).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I love drain.

Everything is zero with heroism on, by the way.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sojenus posted:

Either this is a bug or my character enjoys punching corpses:

code:
You kill the glowing orange brain!
The Council accepts your kill.
The great orb of eyes dissolves into shadows!
The spriggan defender dissolves into shadows! x2
The spriggan berserker is no longer berserk.
The spriggan berserker dissolves into shadows!
You repeatedly attack DEAD MONSTER from above!
Perhaps something to do with interactions between the wall jump and summons?

I think I've seen this happen with cleaves on summoned monsters too

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
4000 turns later, I'm excited at getting Polearms back up to 5.9 and invo to 0.1.

Don't let yourselves be Sonja'd, friends.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Does drain not stop when you hit 0?

e: 90% of my posts in this thread are these dumb one line questions because I'm a moron :saddowns:

Carcer fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 24, 2017

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Carcer posted:

Does drain not stop when you hit 0?

e: 90% of my posts in this thread are these dumb one line questions because I'm a moron :saddowns:

Nope! You can drive yourself into forever debt if you want, though it is hard to have that occur outside Sonja, repeatedly taking off Harm, or abusing Ru powers as most other sources of Drain do real damage.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Maaaaaaybe it should be changed so it stops at 0.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nah, why put kiddie gloves on it? It used to just outright murder you when it did the equivalent of draining you to zero. All those good times from D:1 draining daggers resulting in MiFi's getting two shot, ah the good ol' days

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

cheetah7071 posted:

Wu Jian is definitely the most fun god in the entire game, holy poo poo. It was looking for a while like 0.20 might be mostly a sidegrade compared to 0.19 but now I can kite hydras with a polearm by kickflipping off walls

Do martial maneuvers work on invisible enemies the same way normal attacks do?

I'm still sticking with .19 before because the devs have made the game worse in all aspects except a single god. Not sure how to stop my Android version from updating, but I'm going to look into it.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Haifisch posted:

4000 turns later, I'm excited at getting Polearms back up to 5.9 and invo to 0.1.

Don't let yourselves be Sonja'd, friends.

Not sure if you know this but CHECK OUT THIS ONE COOL TRICK THAT SONJA'S HATE!

she has crap MR so hold onto/grab one of those garbage wands of confuse or paralyse that you normally throw away immediately, zap her, and then watch and laugh as you destroy her

Since someone posted this I haven't had a bad run in with her in a lonnnng time.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Speleothing posted:

I'm still sticking with .19 before because the devs have made the game worse in all aspects except a single god. Not sure how to stop my Android version from updating, but I'm going to look into it.

Making ogres bad at maces is good because

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Two points on ogres being bad at maces. First: they aren't actually that bad, especially if they worship okawaru or ashenzari. Second: The increase to spell school aptitudes made them a lot more interesting and made their books starts quite strong. Og^IE is really, really good now, for example.

That said, I think -1 is too low and +1 would be more interesting. I doubt that ogres would be overpowered with +1 m&f, especially since their throwing has been brutally nerfed over the last version or two (large rocks getting 20 base delay and a decrease in their throwing aptitude).

apple
May 18, 2003

Speleothing posted:

I honestly think the new mutation minigame is much better, the only drawback is there's a small chance that quaff-id will lock you into a death spiral where you always have at least one crippling mutation, but that was potentially worse before because CMut was much harder to come by.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I completely agree that newmut is much more fun. And for those who complain about the devs making the game harder, it's overall a non trivial buff for the player, since it's quite likely you'll end up with mutations that are favorable for your build if you know when to quit. Once you get a few potions of mutation, start quaffing them!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Speleothing posted:

The only change I think it really dubious is removing rMsl. I'm not really sure why Charms needed yet another nerf, or why the most reliable method for lightly armored characters to be able to take on yaktaur swarms needed to be removed. I'm also really disappointed in Rods being removed. IMO there was absolutely a place for recharging evocables, and I have no idea what the problem with them was. Unlike rMsl removal I don't think it makes the game appreciably harder, but it does make it less interesting.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

The only change I think it really dubious is removing rMsl. I'm not really sure why Charms needed yet another nerf, or why the most reliable method for lightly armored characters to be able to take on yaktaur swarms needed to be removed. I'm also really disappointed in Rods being removed. IMO there was absolutely a place for recharging evocables, and I have no idea what the problem with them was. Unlike rMsl removal I don't think it makes the game appreciably harder, but it does make it less interesting.

I'm posting like a storm tonight, but I'll say I don't think the removal of rmsl was a nerf to charms so much as a nerf to light armor characters in general. You could easily cast the spell with a trivial investment in charms or in fact no investment at all. That's why I think it's ridiculous when people say things like "conjure flame makes fire magic the best attack magic school" or (formerly, before poisonous vapors and the new OTR) "mephitic cloud makes poison magic good". I typically cast both of those spells without any investment at all in the supposedly defining school. For a school to be robust and worth considering investment, it needs strong spells from levels 4-7. Charms has battlesphere at 5, deflect missiles at 6 and ring of fire at 7, but battlesphere is very limited in its role, while deflect missiles and ring if fire are pretty questionably worth the investment on most characters. The school really needs a couple mid-level dual-school spells and a strong single school spell at 6 to feel like it's not vestigial and pointless.

I generally agree with the removal of rods, but I also agree that there's space for quickly renewable evocables that don't consume strategic resources. One worry I have about the design direction of the game is that it's heading too far into the realm of strategic consumables determining everything. I don't like Sil, for example, in spite of the fact that it appears to be the ultimate game, because it has too much emphasis on these kind of permanent strategic choices. It's just too stressful and not relaxing to play for someone who doesn't like their games to resemble chess. So I do think Crawl could stand to have some weak, but frequently usable evocables similar to rods. Perhaps some of the questionably useful wands, like random effects, lightning, disintegration or flame could be re-purposed for that role.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 24, 2017

apple
May 18, 2003

A buckler and amulet of reflection is a really good alternative to RMsl, it takes up equipment slots but that's kinda the point.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

apple posted:

A buckler and amulet of reflection is a really good alternative to RMsl, it takes up equipment slots but that's kinda the point.

Only one of those two things is easy to find. Having multiple ways for light armor characters to survive missile spam is a good thing.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I'm posting like a storm tonight, but I'll say I don't think the removal of rmsl was a nerf to charms so much as a nerf to light armor characters in general. You could easily cast the spell with a trivial investment in charms or in fact no investment at all. That's why I think it's ridiculous when people say things like "conjure flame makes fire magic the best attack magic school" or (formerly, before poisonous vapors and the new OTR) "mephitic cloud makes poison magic good". I typically cast both of those spells without any investment at all in the supposedly defining school. For a school to be robust and worth considering investment, it needs strong spells from levels 4-7. Charms has battlesphere at 5, deflect missiles at 6 and ring of fire at 7, but battlesphere is very limited in its role, while deflect missiles and ring if fire are pretty questionably worth the investment on most characters. The school really needs a couple mid-level dual-school spells and a strong single school spell at 6 to feel like it's not vestigial and pointless.

On the other hand: medium and heavy-armour characters exist, find charms useful, and require investment to cast them. Also, I think you're underestimating Deflect Missiles; it's really strong!

apple
May 18, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

Only one of those two things is easy to find. Having multiple ways for light armor characters to survive missile spam is a good thing.

I like the safety of RMsl but I also like being able to give the middle finger to arrows/bolts thanks to a drop even if it's subject to floorgod, so I'm pretty indifferent about no longer having rMsl as a spell :shrug:

That said, maybe there could be a new spell or something that could fill that void that's not a "set it and forget it" thing like rMsl

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PleasingFungus posted:

On the other hand: medium and heavy-armour characters exist, find charms useful, and require investment to cast them. Also, I think you're underestimating Deflect Missiles; it's really strong!

If Octopodes and Felids could wear the new scarves I think it'd be less of an issue tbh. Its a huge survivability boost for them which they really need as a lot of defensive options are being repurposed from spells to equipment they can't wear.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Zore posted:

If Octopodes and Felids could wear the new scarves I think it'd be less of an issue tbh. Its a huge survivability boost for them which they really need as a lot of defensive options are being repurposed from spells to equipment they can't wear.

I'm a big fan of moving all/most buff effects to equipment and consumables, but I think there should be a lot of overlap in terms of which effects get to be on which slots. There's a lot already -- Regen+ on body slot and amulet slot, MR on hats and rings and cloaks, etc. Not every effect needs to be available to every character, but RMsl could stand to be on amulets/rings.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Scarf of Silence!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

PleasingFungus posted:

It is strong, but it's a metric shitload of investment on characters that aren't already going heavy into Air magic. Characters in anything heavier than leather are going to have a hell of a time casting it in time for the investment to pay off.

Roctavian posted:

I'm a big fan of moving all/most buff effects to equipment and consumables, but I think there should be a lot of overlap in terms of which effects get to be on which slots. There's a lot already -- Regen+ on body slot and amulet slot, MR on hats and rings and cloaks, etc. Not every effect needs to be available to every character, but RMsl could stand to be on amulets/rings.
This would help a lot. As it stands, scarfs are way too rare, let alone finding one of rMsl. Amulet of rMsl(with whatever downside to removing it) would go with the "strong effect you can't swap a lot" direction amulet design has gone, imo.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Keep in mind trunk is being actively developed, and things might change from day to day. If you're unhappy with how trunk is right now, then I encourage you to stick to a final, released version like 0.19.4! That's why we maintain and provide these releases -- for stability and for the players who have different tastes and expectations.

Feel free to check back in once in a while to see how things are going. Remember, the devs are trying to make Crawl better. The path we take to get there you might not always agree with, but our goals are clear.

Haifisch posted:

This would help a lot. As it stands, scarfs are way too rare, let alone finding one of rMsl. Amulet of rMsl(with whatever downside to removing it) would go with the "strong effect you can't swap a lot" direction amulet design has gone, imo.

I'm working on improvements to scarves right now. Trying to find a good balance between cloaks and scarves, as well as adding more egos.

One of the devs has proposed to me to make scarf egos exclusive to scarves (which would mean removing amulets of Spirit Shield and rings of cold resistance). I doubt this is the route I'll take. I don't have a solidified opinion on it one way or another, though.

I also doubt I'll add "rMsl partly because I can't think of a suitable drawback to removing it, and partly because we have "reflection already. Maybe "reflection needs to be made stronger? I think it's a strong amulet right now, but they don't seem very popular. Of course, player whim tends to track with trends...

apple
May 18, 2003

Won with the new frogman race, also my first 4 win streak :toot:

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue//bananaken/morgue-bananaken-20170224-193119.txt

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.20-a0-739-g6bb112f (webtiles) character file.

1685245 bananaken the Conqueror (level 27, 249/249 HPs)
             Began as a Barachian Ice Elementalist on Feb 24, 2017.
             Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes!

The game lasted 06:53:11 (76694 turns).

bananaken the Conqueror (BaIE)                     Turns: 76694, Time: 06:53:11

Health: 249/249    AC: 29    Str: 27    XL:     27
Magic:  48/48      EV: 31    Int: 43    God:    Cheibriados [******]
Gold:   2576       SH: 15    Dex: 35    Spells: 5/50 levels left

rFire    + . .     SeeInvis +   y - +9 demon trident (vamp)
rCold    + . .     Gourm    .   d - quicksilver dragon scales
rNeg     + . .     Faith    .   z - +3 buckler {rF+}
rPois    +         Spirit   .   B - +2 hat {SInv}
rElec    +         Reflect  +   m - +2 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr    .         Harm     .   N - +1 pair of gloves of Submission {+Inv rPois rN+ Int+6}
MR       +++++     Rnd*Rage +   D - +2 pair of boots
Stlth    +.........             n - amulet of Uczeuladwiub {Reflect rElec MP+9 Dex+4 SH+3}
Regen    0.6/turn               C - ring of wizardry
MPRegen  0.4/turn               Z - ring "Cieng" {rPois rC+ MR+ Str-2}

@: very slow
A: swims, iridescent scales 1, berserk 1, magic resistance 2, electricity
resistance, slowness 1, strong 1, strong legs 2
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, abyssal
a: Hop, Bend Time, Temporal Distortion, Slouch, Step From Time, Renounce
Religion, Evoke Invisibility
I ended up learning glaciate and it was mostly overkill until I got flanked twice by pandemonium lords during the orb run where it probably saved my butt.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It would be cool if Vehumet warned you that he was about to offer a new spell. I must have turbocharged my piety in Orc, and the one spell I wanted was there and gone before I cleared the second floor. i thought I had time. :(

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Scarf of Silence!

So a muffler?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Archenteron posted:

So a muffler?

Well, now this has to get added.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Scarf of Silence!

hello floorgod my old friend
I've come to pray to you again

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Jesus god holy absolute gently caress. Wu Jian Council god is so amazingly fun. Playing a GrGl right now and I've never cleared Lair faster, not even with MiBe. Instead of running back to a narrow corridor when things get hairy, you just skip by the enemies, bouncing against walls, slowing them, charging others, it just makes melee so much fun. Can't thank you enough, whoever created it, you're a gameplay genius!

Favourite moments so far:

1. being between two walls and running back and forth between them chased by a very confused death Yak: X.Y@X where X is a wall, you just go right all the way until you flip other the death yak, then left until you flip over, repeat ad nauseam victorium.
2. flipping over a death yak and charging right into a hydra one-shotting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Roctavian posted:

I'm a big fan of moving all/most buff effects to equipment and consumables,
I think this is wrong. Buffs need to be accessible. If good players want a challenge, then they can play harder combos or ignore options.

quote:

but I think there should be a lot of overlap in terms of which effects get to be on which slots. There's a lot already -- Regen+ on body slot and amulet slot, MR on hats and rings and cloaks, etc. Not every effect needs to be available to every character, but RMsl could stand to be on amulets/rings.

This, however, is still a good idea.

• Locked thread