Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Okay so there's no auto save in this game according to this thread so I have a question. Are there checkpoints? Basically I want to know if this means I lose everything on every death or if I lose everything on quitting the game/it crashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

For Platinum games it's generally not so much "you need to read the manual", more "wait for Saurian or Chip Cheezum to put out a video explaining how the combat works"

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You find save terminals out in the world, once you turn them on they become active over a wide area designated on your map by a light colored circle. At any point while you're inside one of those circles you can save your game from the menu, there's even a quick save option on the first screen that's just takes one down press to get to, it's really fast. When you die, you respawn at the terminal you last saved from, and have to run back and recover your corpse or else lose some of the plug-in chips you had equipped. I pretty much think of them like dark souls bonfires, you have to sit at those to register them as your respawn point, and for the same reason in this game you should do a quick save every time you enter the range of a terminal.

There are some checkpoints, during a long boss fight for example, but I think if you were to quit the game suddenly you would lose everything that happened since your last save.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Do these things show up on the map before activating? Maybe I simply overlooked it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On the one hand: my YouTube recommendations appear to have spoiled the final boss's identity.

On the other hand: I know this is a Yoko Taro game and so there's no way that's actually the final boss and is instead the end of playthrough 1 of like five, so I'm not too upset.

Another thing I learned from YouTube: back when that E3 video of a boss fight came out, people assumed the fight syncing up perfectly with the music was just for the E3 demonstration. Turns out, nope! That's in the full game, too. That owns really hard. It's not even that programmatic thing where the music transitions more-or-less smoothly when the boss changes phases, but rather that the boss's attack patterns are themselves synced to the music.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 24, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Mindblast posted:

Do these things show up on the map before activating? Maybe I simply overlooked it.

They're like little red diamonds on the map before you turn them on. Vending machines with a gang of robots trying to beat them up.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Ah! So that's what I spotted in the distance before I got distracted and ended op chasing a moose and forgot where I saw it.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I'm about 5 hours in now, and I really love just the open world aspect of this game.

Since you move so quickly and fluidly, traversal is a joy. Just sliding around in the desert feels really good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

New patch up to fix the partial download bug.

Someone has found a store where you can spend in-game money to buy trophies. Yoko Taro :allears:

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Someone has found an ingame store where you can spend in-game money to buy trophies. Yoko Taro :allears:

Well, that's one way to avoid missable trophies.

Also, that store means this will probably be my first platinum :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I hope it lets you un-earn trophies so you can buy the platinum and have only that on your trophy list.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Someone has found a store where you can spend in-game money to buy trophies. Yoko Taro :allears:

... Man.

i am now wondering if a company could charge microtransaction money to trophy unlocks.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

THIS RUINS THE SANCTITY OF TROPHIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU WILL REGRET THIS

BOYCOTT #thot 2B!!!! Sony?????????

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

HAHA I love this game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Boss impressions, faintest story spoilers though.
Boss 3 (Opera Singer) might just be the best boss Platinum have made, which to me, is the highest possible praise. At least from the games of theirs I've played. That fight is a masterpiece in every way.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bought it on the Japanese PSN. Now I just need work to end.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The butt statue edition is back in stock, although you probably won't get it for like a month.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Boss impressions, faintest story spoilers though.
Boss 3 (Opera Singer) might just be the best boss Platinum have made, which to me, is the highest possible praise. At least from the games of theirs I've played. That fight is a masterpiece in every way.

really appreciate the rings she shoots out being accompanied by bell noises

also my favorite enemies so far (really early)the totem pole bots in the desert who just totter around and stare at you

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 24, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's funny, despite this being developed by Platinum this game still has a lot of really badly designed gameplay. The big open areas in this do the game no favors, since they're largely empty and just make you take longer to get to the NPCs/quest locations. First Nier was way better about this. Also the combat is honestly a lot less fun than the first Nier. You get a lot of combos but most of them don't seem all that better than the basic light and heavy attack combos, meanwhile the equivalent to the awesome magic from the first game is both more limited (you can only equip one at a time as far as I can tell) and prohibitively expensive, costing as much as the weapons to purchase.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

loving sweet I might get my 1st platinum

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Platinum Games will help you platinum games.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

Platinum Games will help you platinum games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Anyone know the name of the song that plays in the first gameplay trailer way back last year at the Paris games?

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Genocyber posted:

It's funny, despite this being developed by Platinum this game still has a lot of really badly designed gameplay. The big open areas in this do the game no favors, since they're largely empty and just make you take longer to get to the NPCs/quest locations. First Nier was way better about this. Also the combat is honestly a lot less fun than the first Nier. You get a lot of combos but most of them don't seem all that better than the basic light and heavy attack combos, meanwhile the equivalent to the awesome magic from the first game is both more limited (you can only equip one at a time as far as I can tell) and prohibitively expensive, costing as much as the weapons to purchase.

Oh so it's a Yoko Taro game.

(i mean this in the most appreciative way possible)

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 24, 2017

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
As with Drakengard/original Nier, am I going to need to collect all the weapons for one of the endings? (Spoiler the answer if you want)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0203jbYU0TI

Combo showcase

dog house
Sep 13, 2012

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/02/24/nier-automata-players-upset-discovering-trash-item-called-nin64/

I already love this game.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

item make sure you try out those combat drugs they're real special

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Nuebot posted:

It's really worrying because I want to get the steam version, but if we're never getting it or if it's like a year delayed or something I'll just buy the PS4 version. But I don't want to buy the PS4 game only to find out PC is coming out like a week later.

:same: As a person of limited means there's only so many times I'm able to buy the same game again.

Also mods are life.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
Hah, my game just softlocked after finishing the factory for the second time and returning to the resistance camp. Hadn't gotten to save after that boss. Cool! Anyone else get one of these?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Tomie knows me posted:

Hah, my game just softlocked after finishing the factory for the second time and returning to the resistance camp. Hadn't gotten to save after that boss. Cool! Anyone else get one of these?

Yeah I had a soft lock in the same location. As I've said I love this game dearly but it could have used a few more weeks of polish. I was repeatedly killed by a random flying kamikaze bot while locked in a side quest cutscene earlier :cool:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

is there any indicator that pc will have any sort of keyboard and mouse support or will it be only controller? or absolutely no word on that front at all yet?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

there's literally no way this game isn't the best game of the year

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Genocyber posted:

The magic in the first game was bad :ssh: It looked neat, but that's about it.

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005

Futaba Anzu posted:

is there any indicator that pc will have any sort of keyboard and mouse support or will it be only controller? or absolutely no word on that front at all yet?

The extent of everything we know about the PC release is "the game is coming to Steam". Squeenix has had a pretty bizarre information void around the PC release considering it was announced something like half a year ago and the PS4 release is so soon.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

suddenly have 12 sidequest marks on my minimap and half of them i can't even do because either they're full of enemies way higher level than me or they're just broken and not triggering correctly :newlol:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The magic in the first game was bad :ssh: It looked neat, but that's about it.

The lance magic was extremely overpowered and that was pretty much it..
Nier's combat was actually pretty lovely and mostly just made up for by interesting encounter designs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tomie knows me posted:

No Mods No Masters posted:

Yeah I had a soft lock in the same location. As I've said I love this game dearly but it could have used a few more weeks of polish. I was repeatedly killed by a random flying kamikaze bot while locked in a side quest cutscene earlier :cool:

I'd tweet it to @yokotaro and @SaitoYosuke_Z. They both use twitter a lot and Taro has some grasp on English. They responded quickly to the other bug fix, even if you don't get a reply, they might notice and pass it on.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
2 questions!

1: I'm playing the original nier and what magic should I have equipped? I'm over halfway in playthrough #1 and probably have most/all of the magic spells.
2: I finished the nier: automata demo, is there a thing I need to do in order to get a bonus item or whatever, for when I play the main game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

redreader posted:

2: I finished the nier: automata demo, is there a thing I need to do in order to get a bonus item or whatever, for when I play the main game?

No, but you can practice sword combos until release date.