Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Work's been pretty tedious today, so I was giving more thought to my "one mod per category" modpack idea, and did a little more digging to fill in some gaps:

Industrial Tech: Immersive Engineering
High Tech: OpenComputers
Magic: Botania
Transport: Railcraft
Farming: Agricraft
Nature: Forestry
Tools: Tinkers' Construct
Storage: Storage Drawers
Combat: Better Combat
Mobs: Ender Zoo
Animals: Mo' Creatures

I think that pretty much covers everything? The only other thing I could think of would be some sort of animal breeding/husbandry mod, but I haven't been able to find anything like that.

I haven't put this whole thing together yet, so I don't know what the interactions would be like.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

CJ posted:

I don't play this game but i made this for my 6 year old nephew because it's his favourite meme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h81kwL_beu4

if i see a modpack from now on without this in, i will throw a full-blown tantrum

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 24, 2017

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Work's been pretty tedious today, so I was giving more thought to my "one mod per category" modpack idea, and did a little more digging to fill in some gaps:

I think that pretty much covers everything? The only other thing I could think of would be some sort of animal breeding/husbandry mod, but I haven't been able to find anything like that.

I haven't put this whole thing together yet, so I don't know what the interactions would be like.

Ender Zoo is an awful mod of terrible poo poo like dirt slimes that have a 50/50 chance of spawning any time you dig up a dirt block. There are no redeeming features AFAIR.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Black Pants posted:

Ender Zoo is an awful mod of terrible poo poo like dirt slimes that have a 50/50 chance of spawning any time you dig up a dirt block. There are no redeeming features AFAIR.
Figures. Are there any mob-adding mods that are any good?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Only the best one:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/wip-mods/2506162-more-creeps-and-weirdos-rebooted-for-minecraft-1-8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSwMkW35N74

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 24, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Black Pants posted:

It offers a decent way to get ender pearls early.

Modded's obsession with gating poo poo behind ender pearls is obnoxious. They aren't a good gating mechanic. You either (1) have access to a spawner/the end/ender lilies or (2) don't, and sometimes going from 2->1 is annoying and rng heavy. Other times you are at 1 instantly and swimming in them. Nether resources are at least things you need to obtain consistently. In short, ender pearls suck for gating progression. It's not fun having infinite ender pearls and it's not fun having 0 and those are the only two quantities you'll ever have.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Black Pants posted:

That's not the worst mob in that pack. The Wither Witch is stupidly hard with her drat cat. Also I was messing around with the Nifty Plus pack and I really dig the Roguelike Dungeons mod. The thing that has always bugged me about Minecraft is the world feels empty, you might get lucky and get a village or dungeon underground. But with that mod they are everywhere and look different depending on the biome they are in. Granted this is probably old news to anyone in this thread but hell I haven't played modded Minecraft in forever so it's all new to me.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Special Mobs is okay, but some mob types are just terribly balanced and you'll want to turn them off. Like, for instance, Vampire pigmen take 1 damage from almost any damage source- I suspect wooden swords are their weakness. There's some similar Blaze type that I assume forces you to kill them with snowballs, but I don't remember which one it is. Conflagration? Hungry spiders will steal items from your inventory, from ANY item slot, and grow bigger/gain hp as they pick things up off the ground or steal items. This has bad interaction with any mod that adds items that drop randomly off of mobs. Hungry zombies will do something similar but they're limited to food. Witch spiders reflect projectiles, Poison skeletons apply Poison II which is just not okay. Gatling skeletons are rapid-fire and do only half a heart of damage, but the problem is you can't get close to melee them. Dirt, Drowning, Gravel creepers poo poo blocks all over the place. I think one of the creeper types ignored mobgriefing at some point? Also I don't like Fishing mobs, but only the pigman ones are really objectionable, since they pull you even without aggro.

This laundry list of complaints may seem like a reason to not use the mod at all but there's like 50 other mob types so it's still cool without those ones.

I agree this is a terrible mod. Literally everything it adds is dumb in some way. Concussion creepers are either harmless or drop you into lava/the void. Enderminies don't despawn easily but still interfere with bed usage, are harder to kill than endermen because they're small, and will fight creepers causing them to explode and make craters everywhere unless you turn off mobgriefing. Dire Wolves are noisy as gently caress. Wither Witches are dumb in that their cats can become invincible and clog up mob farms or just make fighting the witch annoying as hell.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 24, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

McFrugal posted:

This laundry list of complaints may seem like a reason to not use the mod at all but there's like 50 other mob types so it's still cool without those ones.
Well, at a quick look it looks like you can turn certain mobs off, so I'll dig into this one, thanks.

I'll admit my limited interaction with Ender Zoo was from Regrowth, where I only really saw mobs with gear (and the creeper variant) and thought that was a cool touch.

Really I'd just want something that increases mob variety a bit; I don't need 50 new monsters, just something to vary up the usual zombie/skeleton/creeper/spider quartet.

e: aaaaand of course it's 1.7 only. gently caress.

e2: Looking at Mo' Creatures, it looks like that already adds a bunch of hostile mobs, so I guess I'm covered in that category anyway.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 24, 2017

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh I guess the advanced undead type Ender Zoo adds is okay.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
EnderZoo, DeadlyMonsters, Infernal mobs and Lycanites mobs. you can turn off dirt slimes if you really need to dig up a bunch of dirt that bad?

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

The thing that has always bugged me about Minecraft is the world feels empty, you might get lucky and get a village or dungeon underground. But with that mod they are everywhere and look different depending on the biome they are in. Granted this is probably old news to anyone in this thread but hell I haven't played modded Minecraft in forever so it's all new to me.

roguelike dungeons, doomlike dungeons, dungeon tactics, recurrent complex and futurepack all add dungeons and good things to worldgen. The doomlike dungeons are great too, you'll know you found one because they actually feel like a doom level. You can even have roguelike dungeons generate in the end/nether which adds some nice variety. all this stuff already in grimdark btw:ssh:

futurepack does this

frenzy fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 24, 2017

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I do enjoy Roguelike Dungeons, but the bottom levels have not been rebalanced for 1.10 combat. There are too many mob spawners for the new sword swinging mechanic. I had to cheese the last one I tried by digging around the outside to break spawners/grab chest loot.

Or maybe I'm just really bad.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'd do Refined Storage for the "Storage" section instead, much more useful in the long run than Storage Drawers and allows for some great automation and something else to use the IF from Immersive Engineering on.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

lolmer posted:

I'd do Refined Storage for the "Storage" section instead, much more useful in the long run than Storage Drawers and allows for some great automation and something else to use the IF from Immersive Engineering on.

Change that to 'in addition to'. Storage drawers is one of those storage mods that is great early, mid and late-game, scales very well, and imo should be one of the last mods to be removed from a pack. The drawer controller works great with a storage bus from refined storage or applied energistics.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well it is a one-mod-per-category pack

it's just one of the categories should be "storage drawers"

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Ambaire posted:

Change that to 'in addition to'. Storage drawers is one of those storage mods that is great early, mid and late-game, scales very well, and imo should be one of the last mods to be removed from a pack. The drawer controller works great with a storage bus from refined storage or applied energistics.

Except it's "one mod per category" and the category was "Storage", so there's no "in addition to" available. ;)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Create an "early storage" and a "late storage" category, problem solved!

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Here's a beholder from lycanites mobs, climber from deadlymonsters, ae2 meteor in an ars magica 2 forest, creeper tower on an infernal zombie, arms magica 2 scythe and draconic evolution tier 1 armor

I don't know what is generating all this, I didn't want to go inside

frenzy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 26, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

lolmer posted:

Hmm, interesting. It looks like it takes up a lot less space and can store liquids, but requires nether quartz to get started, whereas Storage Drawers can be used right from the get-go.

Like DJF and lolmer said, though, I'm doing this as "one per category" partially as a thought experiment (which so far actually seems to be feasible), but also because I find it really hard to get into modpacks that have everything thrown in just to have them, regardless of redundancy.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Like DJF and lolmer said, though, I'm doing this as "one per category" partially as a thought experiment (which so far actually seems to be feasible), but also because I find it really hard to get into modpacks that have everything thrown in just to have them, regardless of redundancy.

yeah, there's a lot of overlap between certain mods and typically i'd only want to ever get deep into a single storage mod just to make it less of a pain in the rear end. storage drawers is always a solid option

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Evil Mastermind posted:

I find it really hard to get into modpacks that have everything thrown in just to have them, regardless of redundancy.

I don't know what's not to like about having everything available instantly at your fingertips, if you want to focus on just one mod use @modname in NEI

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Yeah, in that case I'd personally go for the storage solution that's more useful late game, either AE2 or RS.

Drawers are nice, but I don't honestly find them much more useful when gathering materials for crafting than my usual "wall of chests with a vague idea of where everything is" early game solution.

You still have to visually scan through your drawers, find what you need, and click on a box (which may be pretty small if you're using the divided drawers) for each item. Being able to type into a search box directly in the crafting grid has completely spoiled me on other options.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Lycanite's Mobs is easily the best mob-adding mod, just because it adds useful things. The worst claim against it is the clashing aesthetic.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ImpactVector posted:

Yeah, in that case I'd personally go for the storage solution that's more useful late game, either AE2 or RS.

Drawers are nice, but I don't honestly find them much more useful when gathering materials for crafting than my usual "wall of chests with a vague idea of where everything is" early game solution.

You still have to visually scan through your drawers, find what you need, and click on a box (which may be pretty small if you're using the divided drawers) for each item. Being able to type into a search box directly in the crafting grid has completely spoiled me on other options.

The advantage of drawers isn't in actually finding your items, its not much better than chest for that. The advantage the being able to dump items into the Drawer Controller and have them routed to their spot automatically.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Rutibex posted:

The advantage of drawers isn't in actually finding your items, its not much better than chest for that. The advantage the being able to dump items into the Drawer Controller and have them routed to their spot automatically.

Have you used AE2? It's basically the same as opening an ender chest with (eventually, more or less) infinite slots. It's completely worth not having to get the items back out of a 32x32 grid of drawers or whatever.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Monkey posted:

Have you used AE2? It's basically the same as opening an ender chest with (eventually, more or less) infinite slots. It's completely worth not having to get the items back out of a 32x32 grid of drawers or whatever.

I am going to hook up some Logistics Pipes to my Drawers. Much cooler to see the items whizzing around IMHO.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
I like storage drawers for how it presents to me all of my things, but you gotta plug it into AE2 for autocrafting

I added guns to my modpack. This mod is p great and the only thing I've found that adds working guns on 1.10.2, complete with extensive configs

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
alternatively, would there be an existing/theoretical way to mod the game to delete all chunks, say, south of the one you're currently in? actual direction does not matter

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rutibex posted:

For anyone on 1.10, Quark is a cool mod that adds a "quick stack to nearby chests" button in your inventory. Shift+click it and anything in your inventory (not favorited) will be deposited into nearby containers that already have that item inside. Very convenient, no infrastructure needed.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, that's fair if that bothers you. It is a minor time sink to figure out where to put things, but I find the "finding stuff for crafting" problem to be much more annoying.

Probably because you're trying to remember the crafting pattern at the same time. I feel like my spatial memory is already being used by that.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Tollymain posted:

alternatively, would there be an existing/theoretical way to mod the game to delete all chunks, say, south of the one you're currently in? actual direction does not matter

If you're building a custom map you could probably use MCEdit or something to accomplish this but I have no idea how to do it with an actual mod.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Woah, where'd that image come from?

I got it from the minecraft forums as was suggested. I periodically view his profile and see what he's posted recently. I'm a supporter of his patreon as in the past I've run a magic-only server with Thaumcraft as the centerpiece mod (along with witchery and blood magic). I keep watching, my desire is to eventually start up my magic-only modded server again with whatever he comes up with as the centerpiece again.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

My knee jerk reaction to Railcraft and Forestry is negative. Have they unfucked themselves, or are they still full of tedious bullshit, random explosions, waiting for the RNG to come up in your favor, and machines that only exist to make machines to make parts to make tools to do something actually interesting?

Normally I'd go "yep, Open Computers, have at it" but since it's the only mod in its category, I think it's worth noting that it does gently caress-all if you don't know how to program in LUA (or know where to find some pre-made programs), so I think something with a lower barrier of entry might be worth looking into. gently caress if I know what you'd count as high tech, though. I'd say Mekanism but that could also arguably go into the Industrial Tech slot.

The first thing I ever did with mod packs that included Mo' Creatures back in the day was rip it out. From the sounds of things, everything that was said about Ender Zoo being awful applies to Mo' Creatures, because it was severely unfun to step out of my house at night to deal with a million screaming horses and deer, then have a bunch of Wraiths swoop down on me while rats gnaw on my ankles and ogres crash through the walls and destroy everything I've ever built.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

MechaCrash posted:

Normally I'd go "yep, Open Computers, have at it" but since it's the only mod in its category, I think it's worth noting that it does gently caress-all if you don't know how to program in LUA (or know where to find some pre-made programs), so I think something with a lower barrier of entry might be worth looking into. gently caress if I know what you'd count as high tech, though. I'd say Mekanism but that could also arguably go into the Industrial Tech slot.
For that slot, I wanted something program-y more than anything else, since that's really the only difference between "industrial" tech mods and "high" tech mods. OC does have robots, but really for a high tech mod everything's going to involve programming and there's only so many of thosep.

quote:

The first thing I ever did with mod packs that included Mo' Creatures back in the day was rip it out. From the sounds of things, everything that was said about Ender Zoo being awful applies to Mo' Creatures, because it was severely unfun to step out of my house at night to deal with a million screaming horses and deer, then have a bunch of Wraiths swoop down on me while rats gnaw on my ankles and ogres crash through the walls and destroy everything I've ever built.
At least with Mo' Creatures I can set spawn rates or turn certain mobs off, which I'm going to do. I just want a little more variety, not a full menagerie of chaos.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

MechaCrash posted:

So yeah, turns out MechaCrash was right and it's not worth trying to configure Mo' Creatures just to add a few more animals. There's over 70 creatures in this thing, and I want to keep maybe six just for the sake of making the world feel less empty.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Try Lycanites, here's my configs with everything disabled except a few of the doom mobs in the nether. Apparently you can tame these things and use them as mounts, like if you enable the jungle uvaraptor and tame it you can fly it around

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

At least with Mo' Creatures I can set spawn rates or turn certain mobs off, which I'm going to do. I just want a little more variety, not a full menagerie of chaos.

The problem with Mo' Creatures (and most other mod creatures) is the fact that they do not drop common resources. Lots of mods rely on the Bones/Gunpowder/Ender Pearls/Etc dropped by the vanilla Minecraft mobs. Zero mods rely on Sharks Teeth, or Tiger Pelts, Yeti Asses or whatever dropped by modded creatures (except the mod that added those things itself).

So killing and farming these new creatures is almost always pointless, and they crowd out the useful vanilla Minecraft creatures that you do want to farm.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

frenzy posted:

Try Lycanites, here's my configs with everything disabled except a few of the doom mobs in the nether. Apparently you can tame these things and use them as mounts, like if you enable the jungle uvaraptor and tame it you can fly it around
Thanks, but that's kinda more involved than I'm looking for.

Rutibex posted:

The problem with Mo' Creatures (and most other mod creatures) is the fact that they do not drop common resources. Lots of mods rely on the Bones/Gunpowder/Ender Pearls/Etc dropped by the vanilla Minecraft mobs. Zero mods rely on Sharks Teeth, or Tiger Pelts, Yeti Asses or whatever dropped by modded creatures (except the mod that added those things itself).

So killing and farming these new creatures is almost always pointless, and they crowd out the useful vanilla Minecraft creatures that you do want to farm.

Yeah, I noticed that too. The only generally useful resource seems to be fur, which you can turn into wool.

I found Rough Mobs, which gives the vanilla mobs new properties (like zombies & skeletons starting with gear, or having :siren:endermen always drop pearls:siren:, and as an added bonus it's completely configurable so I can deactivate/tweak all the new settings. It might be worth adding it to the QoL pack just to make the Dungeons more interesting.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Lycanites has a nice feature that lets you have it add its mobs on top of the vanilla spawn or have it modify the vanilla spawns where it claims to not replace too many so you can still find them. All these mods (and others like loottweaker) let you modify the mob drops, so it's probably a good idea to make their drops more useful if you're going to put them in a pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

Actually that was one thing I liked about Lycanite - many mobs dropped special stuff sure, but they also dropped vanilla materials too. And more importantly, food that could be cooked and provided a little buff.