Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Heh, so, someone on Reddit mentioned memory had gone up and I took a look.

I built a 5820K system about 10 months ago and that appears to have been a super good decision. I paid $63 shipped each for two 2x8 GB Geil Evo Potenza DDR4-3000 kits (32 GB total) and right now Newegg has them for $120 a pop :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Also - Ryzen will not support ECC. So much for that build.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

AMD has never listed ECC support in a desktop product, but should ECC be present and the motherboard have the correct traces, the CPU will use it.

The same thing seems to apply to Ryzen, as AMD have been careful not to deny it outright. This is really about market segmentation ( no cheap desktop CPUs being sold in server roles ) than anything, so all AMD needs is the ability to deny warranty support to an OEM if they tried it, not actually lock out the feature.

Of course, you'll need to wait until MBs are tested to see if any of them have enabled the ability.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

And consumers everywhere gave not one single poo poo.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Seamonster posted:

I just want cpu/gpu combos for sale. AMD should leverage the fact they're the only ones in the world who can do this.

How come? Some sort of legal/monopoly reason with Intel?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I imagine Intel don't have the experience needed to produce that specific kind of chips.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Yeah, the PS4/xbone SOCs are pretty unique from a piddling engineering perspective, when traditionally the CPU and GPU and I/O were separate for high-performance parts.

The Tegra chips are also among the same vein, but they're meant for <8w instead of the 95-140w TDP the PS4/bone chips have.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 24, 2017

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Measly Twerp posted:

Eh, rowhammer is a thing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kerbtree posted:

Eh, rowhammer is a thing.

Measly Twerp posted:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
ECC on Ryzen is a cheap and easy way to set up a little NAS for home and I'm looking forward to it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Consumers probably should care about Rowhammer given that there's the potential for some javascript to bypass the entire CPU "ring" security model - potentially even to the level of the management engine or secure enclave, from which it is 100% impossible to extract an attacker (by design).

http://news.softpedia.com/news/rowhammer-attacks-in-microsoft-edge-can-compromise-entire-pc-due-to-new-research-504574.shtml

That actually goes for phones too. ECC really shouldn't be optional anymore at this point - 99.999% security is not good enough against an attacker who gets unlimited tries.

PerrineClostermann posted:

ECC on Ryzen is a cheap and easy way to set up a little NAS for home and I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah I was hoping to build a mITX NAS on it - ideally with a mobo that had an extra SATA controller so I could keep the PCIe open. Intel C2550 it is, I guess (Asrock has one with like 12 SATA ports on it).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 24, 2017

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Harik posted:

Are there any 8C+APU on the roadmap? I've got machines that would be perfect for - no GPU required for driving text logins, and the PCIe slots are used by 10ge and RAID controllers.

Would you have any slots free at all? Because you can always just shove some bargain bin low profile GPU into a PCI slot or something if all you need is a text console.

Edit: or if you are looking at a board with no PCI slots at all, maybe something that only uses one PCIe lane:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10269/zotac-quietly-releases-pcie-x1-gt-710-graphics-card

Rastor fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 24, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Paul MaudDib posted:

Consumers probably should care about Rowhammer given that there's the potential for some javascript to bypass the entire CPU "ring" security model - potentially even to the level of the management engine or secure enclave, from which it is 100% impossible to extract an attacker (by design).

http://news.softpedia.com/news/rowhammer-attacks-in-microsoft-edge-can-compromise-entire-pc-due-to-new-research-504574.shtml

That actually goes for phones too. ECC really shouldn't be optional anymore at this point - 99.999% security is not good enough against an attacker who gets unlimited tries.

These are the same consumers who train themselves to click away red warning screens in chrome.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Paul MaudDib posted:

ECC alone isn't a good enough protection against rowhammer, so no.

e: since the memory corruption can possibly flip more than one bit, and ECC can only handle 1 bit errors. If your system isn't detecting the rowhammer attack, multiple attempts eventually work. but current and near future hardware has protections against this type of attack, without the need for ECC.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 24, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_ryzen_rog_am4_crosshair_vi_hero_preview/1

A nice detail that slipped under the radar because ASUS forgot to tell anyone - the ROG Hero is backwards compatible with existing AM3 cooler mounts. Hopefully that extends to their cheaper boards as well.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHs0lSfAMVI

(put the subs on).

Also, some AM4 motherboard links, including a handy table for VRMs, Audio and Network.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5vx5o3/am4_motherboard_links/

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 24, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Is there a good reason for me to give a poo poo about having ECC ram on the box storing my linux ISOs? What is it protecting me against? If the result of a flipped bit in ram getting stored to disk is a flicker of a corrupted frame in a video file, it's not exactly something I think I'd worry about paying extra for, but I don't really know.

(I've seen tons of posts re: I WANT ECC FOR MY HOME SERVER and it occurred to me that I didn't know why).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gwaihir posted:

Is there a good reason for me to give a poo poo about having ECC ram on the box storing my linux ISOs? What is it protecting me against? If the result of a flipped bit in ram getting stored to disk is a flicker of a corrupted frame in a video file, it's not exactly something I think I'd worry about paying extra for, but I don't really know.

(I've seen tons of posts re: I WANT ECC FOR MY HOME SERVER and it occurred to me that I didn't know why).

There's debate on whether ECC is necessary for things like ZFS

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13678629

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gwaihir posted:

ECC itself has a pretty small price premium over non-ECC RAM, people are just getting bit in the rear end by Intels market segmentation. Yes, you probably do want ECC on a machine that you're gonna have running 24/7 for years, if only to avoid the random restart when a soft error happens. No, ECC isn't worth a big price premium, but if consumer CPUs/chipsets supported ECC then everybody would be buying ECC for home servers.

The issue is that Intel doesn't support ECC on consumer platforms, but AMD might.

Edit: Also the more RAM you have the more you want ECC. You're much more likely to run into more soft errors on a Xeon-D NAS box with 128GB of RAM than a bare minimum FreeNAS setup with 8GB.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm running a 32TB ZFS array w/ 32GB of non ECC RAM. :clint:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If there's not a significant risk of actual data on disk corruption, (And there doesn't seem to be such a risk at all), then it looks like ECC ram isn't really a selling point at all for home NAS use.

I'm sure as hell not stuffing 128 gigs of ram in a home server, either, if it's a NAS I'd rather spend that cash on more disks. For a real server, of course, it'd be a given.

(My home nas is an older i3, ivb or haswell maybe, running FreeNAS with 8 gigs of ram and 12 4tb reds).

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The ideal ZFS setup is 1gb of ECC RAM per TB, iirc. It's important, because it scrubs through all the data fairly frequently and a bit flip during the scrub will corrupt your data

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The ideal ZFS setup is 1gb of ECC RAM per TB, iirc. It's important, because it scrubs through all the data fairly frequently and a bit flip during the scrub will corrupt your data

This is straight up wrong and debunked by one of the co-founders of ZFS. :shobon:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ECC protects you from cosmic rays, the deadliest rays of them all

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Dante80 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHs0lSfAMVI

(put the subs on).

Also, some AM4 motherboard links, including a handy table for VRMs, Audio and Network.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5vx5o3/am4_motherboard_links/

I don't get the memory support. Do all the AsRock boards just straight up end at 2667? There's no mention of XMP in their online spec sheet even though its a pretty normal feature by now. And the (OC) support on some boards - is that XMP?????

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

in addition to the ram requirements being wrong, zfs' scrub doesn't work that way at all

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
IF they do in fact not support it rest assured you can just manually set the timings and voltage for XMP compatible sticks.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
AMD should have copied the 115x mounting points. Though i guess it still wouldn't make intel coolers compatible due to height.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

hifi posted:

in addition to the ram requirements being wrong, zfs' scrub doesn't work that way at all

Yea. The ram Requirement was mainly if you did DeDupe last I thought? Outside of that I have had no issues with my little NAS's at home with RED's and 8G ram. Though I think 1 of them is ECC (the little HP Micro Server (7th gen I think. AMD CPU) my last job was just going to throw out because it "didn't work" and kept locking up trying to install ESX/WinServer 2012. Turns out all it needed was a Bios update.

I have some FreeNAS -> Nas4Free questions I guess I can ask in the NAS forum instead of here.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stanley Pain posted:

This is straight up wrong and debunked by one of the co-founders of ZFS. :shobon:

hifi posted:

When did this all happen? :(

eames
May 9, 2009

When did this all happen? :(

The co-founder never said that ECC isn't important. It's just that ECC is as important for ZFS as it is for any other file system.

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1235679&p=26303271#p26303271

I set my little Dell T20 homeserver to log corrected errors and it found two in the last ~6 months — both could have been potential crashes or data corruption on non-ECC systems.

I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to buy a Xeon + C-series chipset MB + ECC ram over the consumer versions to replace this machine but it'd be nice to have consumer Ryzen support it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, I think two just potential crashes in 6 months means I can quite safely not give a poo poo for home server use.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I don't care about crashes but I do care about data corruption. Here's an Ars article that shows how a single bit flip can corrupt a file:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/01/bitrot-and-atomic-cows-inside-next-gen-filesystems/

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Seamonster posted:

And the (OC) support on some boards - is that XMP?????
When they list OC like that it usually means you have to manually set the clocks, timings, and volts on the RAM. AMP (AMD's XMP) will do all that automagically for you but I'm not aware of any memory modules that have AMP support for AM4 systems. Its quite possible that AMD and the memory manufacturers haven't had the chance to do any AMP profiles yet and maybe we'll see them later. How much later though? I have no idea.

I know there were memory modules that supported AMP for AM3 systems and that wasn't a very popular overclocker's platform so if they'd put them out for that they'll put them out for AM4 eventually too.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Goons: consumers should care about ECC memory on their home fileservers to protect against single-bit errors in their next-gen journaling filesystems corrupting backups!

Consumers: :confused:

Prosumers: Yes, backups! You should make backups! I got this nifty hard drive box from seagate that does backups when I push the button.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
No true consumer would have a home server :colbert:

Also NAS/ZFS/RAID/etc. is not backup.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

No true consumer would have a home server :colbert:

Also NAS/ZFS/RAID/etc. is not backup.

Also they should reallllllly care about quad channel memory because reasons.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno man that sounds a bit excessive

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/official-amd-ryzen-benchmarks-reviews-prices-and-discussion.2499879/page-32

Rumor going around (Well, it is the largest tech publication in Turkey) that the R7 1700 is only capable of 4.0Ghz across all cores and will literally kill the VRMs if you attempt to push anymore voltage with low end boards.

However, the R7 1700X and 1800X, from the same source as above, will beat the 7700Ks stock performance (so 4.4Ghz 1800X ~ 4.5Ghz 7700K?). Temps, power draw, voltage, etc were within safe limits unlike R7 1700. Seems R7 1700s (and likely all non X CPUs) are the real garbage parts which can't clock worth a drat. This is a similar story to Polaris 11, @ 850Mhz it pulls 30-35W, @ 1200Mhz it'll pull near 65W+.

I guess Kabylake still has a niche in absolute niche for ST performance but honestly if the 1800X is hitting 4.4Ghz all cores without throwing up any alarms, then later 1600X and 1400X should be monsters, and a 1400X vs 7700K comparison would heavily favor the 1400X from a price/perf point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm more interested in when goons / sites that don't partly(?) break NDA start reviewing them. But this kinda stands out:

quote:

"Single thread score will be so great. According to this performance we can say that 7700K will be history, even for gaming, from now on" he said.
....... BS.

There is so much hype about the platfrom right now, the aftermath will be fantastic if it sucks balls.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 25, 2017

• Locked thread