Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Victor Hugo proclaimed in the 1860s that the advent of balloons and airships would end all wars because existence of a threat that ignores frontiers and can strike anywhere, at any time, would be absolutely discouraging to any aggressor. The idea that air power gives new credibility to the threat of destroying the state itself in case of a war has been historically extremely compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

hogmartin posted:

There's been an argument made that the bombs gave the Japanese leadership - at least the factions that wanted to end the war - an opportunity to do so. The theory is that amphibious landings, bombings, and air-supported ground actions were nothing new to the military leadership, but that single bombs that flattened cities gave them an out: "well, this is a weapon beyond anything we can produce, and we can't counter it, no shame in capitulating now". Of course, Japanese leadership had enough back-biting factions to make Nazi leadership look like a campfire sing-along, but the fight-to-the-end ones happened to lose in this case.

Pretty hard to sell fighting to the end when for all you know the opponent can kill you all without you doing much more than scratch them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Khazar-khum posted:

Let's look at some pre-history:

Neanderthals made the first synthetic material--a glue made from birch bark. It requires such a fine control of fire and material that modern scientists have trouble recreating it.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/neanderthal-superglue.html

Old technology is fascinating. Take Ulfberht swords for example, they are so advanced that it only became possible to replicate them after the industrial revolution.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

steinrokkan posted:

AFAIK most plans issued in preparation for the invasion counted American casualties "only" in tens of thousands. Also they didn't want to destroy / genocide Japan, that is some weird revisionism. They for the most part wanted to capture the Tokyo coastal plains and force the Emperor to surrender at Kyoto.

I mean, they manufactured a million purple heart medals in the lead-up, and in fact are still using those today for soldiers injured in Iraq and Afghanistan. Seems like the preparation did account for the largest number of casualties in any operation of WWII.
http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/1801

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Apparently you can get a purple heart for friendly fire (or rather, being the victim of friendly fire). Pat Tillman got a purple heart when he was friendly-fired to death by US forces. A posthumous purple heart seems like adding insult to injury death.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A White Guy posted:

Apparently you can get a purple heart for friendly fire (or rather, being the victim of friendly fire). Pat Tillman got a purple heart when he was friendly-fired to death by US forces. A posthumous purple heart seems like adding insult to injury death.

Why would that be a revelation to you? Shot during a war is shot during a war.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A White Guy posted:

You're an idiot.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

A White Guy posted:

I had a high school history teacher with two Purple Hearts. In his telling, the first was for being moderately blown up by a landmine. The second was for breaking his leg falling off a troop transport.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Shooting yourself probably shouldn’t count.

Otherwise, a bullet is a bullet. Your flesh doesn’t care who fired it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Platystemon posted:

Shooting yourself probably shouldn’t count.

It doesn't, unless it happens during a combat action/firefight. Then it counts.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Shooting yourself to get off the front lines was a relatively common problem in both world wars and was punishable as desertion if it was found out you did it on purpose.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ensign Expendable posted:

Shooting yourself to get off the front lines was a relatively common problem in both world wars and was punishable as desertion if it was found out you did it on purpose.

(it still is)

well not shooting so much but malingering

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

Do they also punish you for throwing yourself into a subspace anomaly deliberately?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

bewbies posted:

(it still is)

well not shooting so much but malingering

What is malingering

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

verbal enema posted:

What is malingering

Avoiding responsibilities and obligations by faking illness or injury, basically. If you, for example, fake being sick constantly so you can hang around the hospital on sick leave instead of exercising and doing your job that is malingering. If you deliberately injure yourself to be put on medical leave that is malingering.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

steinrokkan posted:

AFAIK most plans issued in preparation for the invasion counted American casualties "only" in tens of thousands. Also they didn't want to destroy / genocide Japan, that is some weird revisionism. They for the most part wanted to capture the Tokyo coastal plains and force the Emperor to surrender at Kyoto.
It seems to be a long-standing theory that we didn't use the Bomb on Germany because we didn't want to kill white people, but I think a simple glance at a timeline reveals that this would not be the case. If Hitler had held out til summer, I don't think he would've seen autumn.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

Nessus posted:

It seems to be a long-standing theory that we didn't use the Bomb on Germany because we didn't want to kill white people, but I think a simple glance at a timeline reveals that this would not be the case. If Hitler had held out til summer, I don't think he would've seen autumn.

Also we were doing a lovely job of not killing white people with all the firebombings of German cities.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Differences in life expectancy in Sao Paulo, Brazil

e: oops, meant for this to go into the maps thread

System Metternich has a new favorite as of 06:23 on Feb 25, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nessus posted:

Alex Wellerstein on “Would the atomic bomb have been used against Germany?”

The point about having no B‐29s in Europe is a good one, but the U.S. wasn’t above nuking Germany.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 06:24 on Feb 25, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nessus posted:

Not to mention Operation Vegetarian, Churchill's plan to turn Europe into an uninhabitable wasteland for generations, which even went through a prototyping phase. The island used to test the biological weapons prepared for this scheme remained off-limits until the 1990s when a costly sanitation took place. The idea that in the middle of the largest war between white people in history, a war that included literal genocides, people were particularly concerned about racial solidarity between nations seems odd to say the least. (That is assuming people in Europe wouldn't want to see their neighboring countries destroyed even during peacetime)

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Pretty nice thread we had ourselves here, until folks started down that Glory Road of Nuclear What - If. :bahgawd:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Alhazred posted:

Old technology is fascinating. Take Ulfberht swords for example, they are so advanced that it only became possible to replicate them after the industrial revolution.

The other big 'name brand' was Inglerii. They were also pattern-welded, with the name inlaid in the blade.

When you first see real medieval chain mail, one of the things that grabs you is that every single ring is riveted shut. Yeah, you understand intellectually why that would be, but it's another to see it, realizing that the man who put this on hoped it would keep him alive. After that you start considering the technology that allowed them to make the tiny holes and rivets.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Khazar-khum posted:

Pretty nice thread we had ourselves here, until folks started down that Glory Road of Nuclear What - If. :bahgawd:
OK dipshit, here's one from recent history.

Star Trek: Voyager is why we had Obama - or at least, made his path much easier.

Jeri Ryan's marriage to Jack Ryan (not the guy from Clancy) was strained heavily by Jeri going to LA to work on Star Trek Voyager while Jack stayed in Illinois. This led to divorce. Jack won the 2004 primary for the senate seat from Illinois, up against some guy named Barack Obama. Jack Ryan's divorce records were unsealed, revealing that he had taken Jeri to weird sex clubs, leading to his withdrawal from the race and Obama going on to crush noted crazy person Alan Keyes by a much larger margin. (He had been leading Jack Ryan in polls beforehand, but by a much slimmer margin, and 2004 was not full of massive Democratic headwinds like '06 was.)

You can theory-craft out the implications of McCain or some other guy possibly beating :abuela: in '08 for yourself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Japan is an island uniquely poor in iron.

Folded steel swords don’t just look cool—it’s a technique that is a necessity with the poor ores availabel to Japanese smiths.

Traditional Japanese wood joinery developed quite literally for want of a nail.

Even Japanese razors made economical use of steel.

The blade is asymmetrical. Cuts are made with the “ura” away from the skin.

Why? So that the good steel could be concentrated at the cutting edge. The bulk of the blade would be made of inferior metal.

It’s subtle, but you can see the transition between metals here.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Khazar-khum posted:

When you first see real medieval chain mail, one of the things that grabs you is that every single ring is riveted shut. Yeah, you understand intellectually why that would be, but it's another to see it, realizing that the man who put this on hoped it would keep him alive. After that you start considering the technology that allowed them to make the tiny holes and rivets.

A friend of mine makes historical replicas for living. Joining the rings of a mail is for the most part "just" a lot of hours with a pair of these:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

A friend of mine makes historical replicas for living. Joining the rings of a mail is for the most part "just" a lot of hours with a pair of these:

To illustrate how much work making chainmail is: When the armor makers on the set of LotR had finished all their chainmails their fingerprints had worn off.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

that's nutty and rad- I knew a guy in high school who made bargain bin ren-faire level chainmail stuff out of thick gauge wire using a set of several modern pliers and vise-grips. Even with the modern tools it looked like a bitch of a time and was way, way slower than yarn knitting- and that's without fastening the rings, just bending them closed after threading

then again he didn't use heat and the tools were light enough to get some progress done on lunch break, so it probably doesn't compare well- but I'd really like to see a fake How Its Made book where industrial engineers imagine the machines we'd devise to mass-produce obsolete things like ringmail as though they were crucial to national defense and not just ornaments

Come to think, that reminds me of the resurgence of the pike during the Kansas/Missouri 1850s Border War (an event that is fuckin chock full of historical fun facts and historical sad facts)- John Brown is credited with designing a cheap, easy to produce polearm that was a bootleg of the Bowie knife favored by pro-slavery forces. In 1857 he took a looted Missourian knife to a blacksmith and had him forge 950 pikes at a buck a pop to distribute to freed slaves over the following years. Et voila, the creatively named John Brown Pike was born

gonna do a better effort post on Border War stuff; I'm from there and that conflict still shapes so much of the current economic and political conditions in Kansas City- in typical winding road of history fashion, there's possibly no Garmin without John Brown, no basketball as we know it without William Quantrill

Peanut Butler has a new favorite as of 11:01 on Feb 25, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Peanut Butler posted:

then again he didn't use heat and the tools were light enough to get some progress done on lunch break, so it probably doesn't compare well- but I'd really like to see a fake How Its Made book where industrial engineers imagine the machines we'd devise to mass-produce obsolete things like ringmail as though they were crucial to national defense and not just ornaments

In the case of mail, we would join the rings with electrical welding.

It’s used for mail gloves and shark suits, and of course ordinary, one‐dimensional chains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vomLiA6vqVQ

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus posted:

You can theory-craft out the implications of McCain or some other guy possibly beating :abuela: in '08 for yourself.

I don't know, I think the Republicans winning in 2008 is pretty unlikely unless the Democrats ended up nominating Kucinich. I imagine it'd be more likely that everyone would be grumbling about Clinton's vice-president (I don't know, Deval Patrick or someone) losing to Jeb Bush or Mitt Romney last year.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

everyone would be grumbling about Clinton's vice-president (Joe Lieberman) losing to Donald J Trump last year.

filled in some blanks here- there's no way the fat man stays out of it in Timeline-Kes-Lives, he just rides there on misogyny peppered with racism instead of the other way around

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Peanut Butler posted:

filled in some blanks here- there's no way the fat man stays out of it in Timeline-Kes-Lives, he just rides there on misogyny peppered with racism instead of the other way around

Nah, hadn't Liberman spent the past eight years or so endorsing George Bush? I reckon he'd be on the outs with the Clintons by the time '08 rolled around.

In any event, the reason I'm not convinced Trump would have been so quick to run in alt-2016 is that a) he was a Democrat between 2001 and 2009, joining because it was cool to stick it to George Bush and quitting because at the end of the day he's either a racist who bought into birtherism, an opportunist who bought into birtherism or a racist opportunist who bought into birtherism (and also because he's a monstrously petty man, who purportedly embraced birtherism all because Obama made a joke about him at an early press event); and b) he was on decent enough terms with the Clintons back in the 1990s, and if he went back to the Republicans over Obama,

It's eminently likely that in alt-2016, Trump becomes the Democratic nominee running on the same platform he did abortively with the Reform Party in 2000. :v:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know, I think the Republicans winning in 2008 is pretty unlikely unless the Democrats ended up nominating Kucinich. I imagine it'd be more likely that everyone would be grumbling about Clinton's vice-president (I don't know, Deval Patrick or someone) losing to Jeb Bush or Mitt Romney last year.

In 2012 you mean.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nah, hadn't Liberman spent the past eight years or so endorsing George Bush? I reckon he'd be on the outs with the Clintons by the time '08 rolled around.

We're going counterfactual here which is as fun as it is uncertain; but I don't think that'd faze the Clintons at the end of the day- Patrick is a pick that I think reflects more risktaking than Hillary would ever be willing to muster- if not Lieberman, then Chafee or some other GOP-lite dem that a spreadsheet chose

also I think you have a deep misunderstanding of Donny "Roy Cohn's Protege" Torp if you think his party affiliation or freak slight had anything to do with his lust for greater prominence. Maybe an obscure Harvard Law Professor has a popular Twitter account ragging on the guy, and he ruins Barry Obama's career- or does something else, anything, to attract the attention of the rising far-right. Like- I don't see Gamergate turning out any better in this timeline, and that radicalized shitloads of apolitical nerds directly to the alt-right. At the very least, even in this Obamaless counterfactual, I don't think a "normal" candidate would weather the shitstorm building since the Civil Rights Act that exploded into this boatwreck of an election- a Jeb! or a Cruz

I don't see him running as a democrat and succeeding- he doesn't have the same Islamaphobia/derk er jerbs/"the blacks" win button that he hammered to victory last year and I don't think he's a guy whose message works in anything but shithead dogwhistles, like its the one weird trick, the only one, he's genuinely talented at

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Peanut Butler posted:

We're going counterfactual here which is as fun as it is uncertain; but I don't think that'd faze the Clintons at the end of the day- Patrick is a pick that I think reflects more risktaking than Hillary would ever be willing to muster- if not Lieberman, then Chafee or some other GOP-lite dem that a spreadsheet chose

Actually, I reckon it would be Kaine, because Obama thought about picking him before he went with Biden. :v:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Wheat Loaf posted:

Actually, I reckon it would be Kaine, because Obama thought about picking him before he went with Biden. :v:

Then the world's best and cutest friendship never happens :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Re: counter-factuals: I'm sure there must be some folks in this thread who will find this amusing.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

Then the world's best and cutest friendship never happens :(

That's one of them causality nexuses, they end up meeting as very old men on the LTR-9-EXODUS and are known as the old men who race Honda Sprees on the gravloop

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf posted:

Re: counter-factuals: I'm sure there must be some folks in this thread who will find this amusing.

alter-factuals

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Peanut Butler posted:

That's one of them causality nexuses, they end up meeting as very old men on the LTR-9-EXODUS and are known as the old men who race Honda Sprees on the gravloop

Oh my goodness. That would be adorable and then they would be best space-bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Alhazred posted:

Ugh, I hate this "fact" because it's insanely centric to western Europe. The Ulfbehrt and most high quality swords forged in Pagan Scandinavia and many in modern Germany and France (what was at the time the center of European arms production) were forged with high strength carbon steel, but it wasn't some secret knowledge. The papal blockade against the pagan controlled lands lead to them having to source steel from far away sources due to the fairly poor state of Scandinavian iron production in the Viking Age, this meant they were primarily getting it from two places: Pagan Rus (modern Ukraine) and Al Andalus/North Africa (Muslim Spain and Libya) and then in later years once things started getting rougher with the Muslims they would make it as far as what was then called the Roman Empire but what we call Byzantium. And in these places they discovered steel that was not domestic to Europe and was instead being produced in what is now Syria and India, they bought it and then brought it home to make swords with it. Eventually this steel made it into France and Germany where the Ulfbehrts were probably made because even a economic blockade cant stop the demand for amazing quality steel.

My issue with this is that the people making this steel never really stopped doing it. Just domestic low quality steel production got jump started and crusades and rise of the outremer states meant that the supply lines became cost prohibitive for Europeans and the importation stopped. But Muslim generals and officers carried swords made of the same steel the Ulfbehrts were made of up until WWI (also the last time the battle standard of Muhammad was displayed for more Islamic war factoids). So really, they weren't advanced, Western Europe was just behind the times and never managed to reverse engineer the process of making them. The same goes with stuff like the scientific method and other things that were kicking around the Islamic world as early as the 900s but didn't make it over into Europe for hundreds of years because why would you ever translate scientific works done by those dumb desert dwelling Satan worshipers, you might catch the Islam from them if you do!

Platystemon posted:

Japan is an island uniquely poor in iron.

Folded steel swords don’t just look cool—it’s a technique that is a necessity with the poor ores availabel to Japanese smiths.

Traditional Japanese wood joinery developed quite literally for want of a nail.

Even Japanese razors made economical use of steel.

The blade is asymmetrical. Cuts are made with the “ura” away from the skin.

Why? So that the good steel could be concentrated at the cutting edge. The bulk of the blade would be made of inferior metal.

It’s subtle, but you can see the transition between metals here.

What's funny is that Japan actually does have some really high quality iron, but because their smiths had been so used to using techniques designed for refining low quality iron into pattern welded steel when they came across it they had no idea what to do with it and loaded it full of carbon until it was super brittle and used it for the edges of blades not ever really getting that they could have just made the entire blade from that material as well.