Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Jedit posted:

Yes? I said they were idiots, not that they were malicious. They also can't admit they were wrong about independence, for any number of reasons, but that's just another kind of stupidity.

You implied that they weren't fixing business rates because they didn't want to break the white paper. I am saying they aren't fixing it because no-one wants to admit they have screwed up. Anyway you are not wrong here, and at least they are consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

The only way anyone else will win in Scotland is if it's an independent country, otherwise the constitutional issue will keep defining political lines and unionists are split between three parties.

Losing a second independence referendum would kill the nationalist movement for a few decades.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Losing a second independence referendum would kill the nationalist movement for a few decades.

No it wouldn't.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
It would certainly kill the idea of Independence, unless the UK government manages to do something more destructive than Brexit somehow.

The SNP as a party would keep lurching along, much like the Parti Quebecois, for maybe a another parliament before the party fractures into hardliners and soft-nationalists.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Pissflaps posted:

Losing the first one didn't, so why would a second? How can you kill that which has no life?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zalakwe posted:

You implied that they weren't fixing business rates because they didn't want to break the white paper. I am saying they aren't fixing it because no-one wants to admit they have screwed up. Anyway you are not wrong here, and at least they are consistent.

It's not two separate things, just two different ways to be stupid.

Gonzo - I'd look to the source of the cuts. If they originate in Holyrood, then your course is obvious. If they originate in Westminster, then they would have been made whoever was in charge.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

No it wouldn't.

It definitely would. The SNP will know it's the last chance saloon. See Canada.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/adam-ramsay-peter-geoghegan/secretive-dup-brexit-donor-links-to-saudi-intelligence-service

It's mostly related to the DUP's secret doners but the group that sent major donations to the DUP during Brexit is The Consititutional Research Council which is chaired by Scottish Tory Richard Cook, which cook has very strong links with Saudi Aabia. A few MSPs are questioning their concerns about transparency, especially if it comes to another Indyref again.

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017
So, since it seems inevitable that a second independence referendum will be called by the SNP at their party conference in mid-March:

Would it be better to 1. call it early, with-or-without the say-so of the British Government, leading to an argument fixated upon Britain and the EU's relative positions.

2. call it late, in about 18 months' time, leading to an argument fixated on Britain and the EU's relative positions then, plus some idea of federalism introduced by Labour?

(edited for readability x2)

Juliet Whisky fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 24, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
There can't be a referendum without the say-so of the British government.

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017
I believe Catalunya begs to differ.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Juliet Whisky posted:

That's not a great example of an effective referendum

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Juliet Whisky posted:

Catalonia voted for independence in an unofficial refrendum.

Catalonia isn't independent.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

I don't think there's been any significant rumblings by the UK government towards blocking another referendum. That could all change if Yes looks like it would win though.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I can't see it being 'blocked' either but I think the timing, campaign duration and wording of it will be a much tougher negotiation for the snp than it was with Cameron.

Demanding one is a major gamble for the snp - one they may be pushed into before they really want it.

Whenever this is - if it happens - it's the last chance saloon for Scottish nationalism.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

I don't see May quibbling over the timing of the referendum too much. As for the wording, that'll be up to the Electoral Commission and they found no problem with the revised wording used for the 2014 referendum. IIRC, the wording used was actually their suggestion.

Honestly, if the SNP can't win a referendum after the most destructive decision in the nation's recent history and an almost guaranteed 8 years of Tory rule then it simply isn't meant to be.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I can't see there being a two year campaign period again - though nobody might want that - and i don't see why the electoral commission would revert to the format of the first referendum when they opted for a a 'leave/remain' format for EUref.

I think the polls showing no shift in favour of independence despite the Brexit result will be a major concern for the SNP.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Leggsy posted:

I don't see May quibbling over the timing of the referendum too much. As for the wording, that'll be up to the Electoral Commission and they found no problem with the revised wording used for the 2014 referendum. IIRC, the wording used was actually their suggestion.

Honestly, if the SNP can't win a referendum after the most destructive decision in the nation's recent history and an almost guaranteed 8 years of Tory rule then it simply isn't meant to be.

I don't see her quibbling because I don't think she would agree to another one so soon

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Well I'm gonna be including parcel o rogues in every setlist, surely that will win us the next referendum.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Pissflaps posted:

I can't see there being a two year campaign period again - though nobody might want that - and i don't see why the electoral commission would revert to the format of the first referendum when they opted for a a 'leave/remain' format for EUref.

I think the polls showing no shift in favour of independence despite the Brexit result will be a major concern for the SNP.

Well there was a shift. It's No/Remain voters changing to Yes and Yes/Leave voters going No. Which didn't really change anything in the latest polls. Speaking of polls. The latest one has place of birth as a field which is a good thing to check to see where people born outisde of Scotland votes tend to go more often. If born Scots were to only have the vote the gap without DK would shortern to 4 for No% rather then 10 for No%

Diffirence is due to the English being the biggest born elsewhere nationality with 60 of 78 (77%) voting No and people outside of UK going 36 of 67 (54%) for Yes. The outside of UK votes consists of Europeans voting Yes with 18 of 21 (87%) and outside of Europe in general favouring towards No in general with 14 of 26 (56%). I don't know where the extra 35 voters are from as they are not listed as neither Europe/Scot/UK/Outside Europe...Unless some fucknugget forgot about the Europeans that come from a country that isn't in the EU.

http://www.panelbase.com/media/polls/F10131Wingstablesforpublication170217.pdf

The SNP are possibly better having just born-Scots vote if they want a better chance of winning the referendum. Not sure if that would help their chances including oversea Scots but the only way to find that out is somehow doing a International poll :v:

EDIT: Seems like an Indy Scot within the EU is the preferable choice with all voters included together with 31% if the option of Scotland in UK/EU was a thing because it splits the vote between the UK/EU % UK/-EU crowd. Without the both option, the UK/-EU has 43% of all voters with 37% of being for Indy & EU and 11% for Scotland without EU.

No idea where what it would be like if it was only UK/-EU & Scot/EU but if looking at the vote for indy is any reference is that people for Indy out of the EU will go with the UK out of the EU if the former is not an option. It seems that the best possible path to get those indy voters that don't want in the EU to possibly vote Yes is to...have another Referendum on EU membership in a Indy Scotland which has to happen anyways but depends if the main indy group uses that to convince people.

Extreme0 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 25, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That doesn't sound very civic.

Though it would be interesting if every born Scot in the entire UK had a vote.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

That doesn't sound very civic.

Though it would be interesting if every born Scot in the entire UK had a vote.

Facts don't give a poo poo about what's civic or not.

Honestly though it depends on how many Scots versus Scots outside of the UK is like.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

I know it was just a thought experiment, but embracing ethnic nationalism would cause me to campaign for the Union as heavily as I campaigned for Independence. It has no place in any society anywhere. English-born Scots are as entitled to an opinion as anyone else.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

Facts don't give a poo poo about what's civic or not.

Ok but it would be tricky for the SNP to only give a vote to people born in Scotland when their shtick is that their nationalism is the 'good' sort.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Ok but it would be tricky for the SNP to only give a vote to people born in Scotland when their shtick is that their nationalism is the 'good' sort.

You do know that he isn't a policy maker for the SNP, right?

And that it was a thought experiment, not a proposal?

You understand hypotheticals, don't you Pissflaps?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mehall posted:

You do know that he isn't a policy maker for the SNP, right?

And that it was a thought experiment, not a proposal?

You understand hypotheticals, don't you Pissflaps?

Erm yes? I'm responding to his hypothetical scenario.

You understand what the word 'would' means, right?

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Leggsy posted:

I know it was just a thought experiment, but embracing ethnic nationalism would cause me to campaign for the Union as heavily as I campaigned for Independence. It has no place in any society anywhere. English-born Scots are as entitled to an opinion as anyone else.

Shame you didn't campaign heavily for EU nationals to be given a vote in the EU referendum then.

In all seriousness I wouldn't mind because it would be amusing karma for the Tories not giving EU nationals the vote because they knew they would likely stop Brexit. Otherwise I would be against having it solely Scots only. Fair's fair right?

Pissflaps posted:

Nationalism isn't good but Brexit was helped by forbidding those who aren't born in the UK to vote in the EU referendum. Sounds like Ethnic Nationalism to me.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'd be more than happy for only 'ethnic scots' to be allowed to vote because it would guarantee that No/Remain wins.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

I'd be more than happy for only 'ethnic scots' to be allowed to vote because it would guarantee that No/Remain wins.

No would win regardless if everyone was allowed to vote too if the tables suggest anything.

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017

Leggsy posted:

I liked the 2014 vote for including everyone who lived in Scotland from 16 and older. Everyone I knew from EU countries voted 'Yes'. Also, according to polls, the vast majority of teenage voters went indy as per http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...16-9745081.html

The case against these people hasn't been made in Scotland, at all, before or after the referendum, to our credit. I am extremely uncomfortable with 'nationalism' but I can see how our nationalism is different.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I expect most nationalists of all persuasions do.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Extreme0 posted:

Nationalism isn't good but Brexit was helped by forbidding those who aren't born in the UK to vote in the EU referendum. Sounds like Ethnic Nationalism to me.

Find us the person here that thinks Brexit is a good thing and not centred on racism?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Extreme0 posted:

funny, I was born in Canada and they let me

almost like doing it based on citizenship is the legal way and not some insane literal no true scotsman race qualifier

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
What's so insane about letting EU citizens resident in Scotland vote?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Coohoolin posted:

I assume CoolCab was talking about this

Extreme0 posted:

The SNP are possibly better having just born-Scots vote if they want a better chance of winning the referendum.

which for the record it doesn't seem like anyone is actually seriously advocating, just getting that in before someone brings up their memory of it in a few months to justify calling half the thread racist or whatever

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah tbf the people here who used to try to silence others for 'not being Scottish enough' seem to have gone underground for the moment.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah tbf the people here who used to try to silence others for 'not being Scottish enough' seem to have gone underground for the moment.

Why is your av the guy who was racist to Jamie Foxx?

What have you done now?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Coohoolin posted:

What's so insane about letting Scottish people outside of Scotland vote?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I don't know if you're joking but that's not even slightly comparable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Extreme0 posted:

The SNP are possibly better having just born-Scots vote if they want a better chance of winning the referendum.

That's quite the bombshell.