Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tesseraction posted:

I like the mirroring of the UKIP vote by the Tory vote.

Labour and the Lib Dems mirrored yet again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Lord of the Llamas posted:

But we can continue to blame it all on Corbyn I guess.

i dove deep into the data and i think i've found a pattern :colbert:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

kustomkarkommando posted:

i dove deep into the data and i think i've found a pattern :colbert:

Turns out Big Tone is an election winning machine.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

i think i've figured out the secret to electoral success. hold my pint

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I got five francs on the weekend to do stuff with (which turned into ten when I started middle school), and 2 francs a day to buy a croissant from the bakery across my school at the break. Of course I usually saved the croissant money to go buy bionicles with on the weekend. Bionicles were cool af.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Is it being a credible, grown up politician who knows how to speak in public?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Of course it's worth pointing out that Labour was polling at or above the 1997 victory figures before Tony Blair became leader.

Then 1997 had the lowest turnout since 1945. Followed by a staggering 10 point drop in turnout in 2001.

What a loving inspirational man.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Turns out Big Tone is an election winning machine.
Your continued denial of the contextual nature of reality is ludicrous.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Of course it's worth pointing out that Labour was polling at or above the 1997 victory figures before Tony Blair became leader.

Then 1997 had the lowest turnout since 1945. Followed by a staggering 10 point drop in turnout in 2001.

It's not about who turns up, it's about who wins.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

In your world is anyone ever reasponsible for anything?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Nigel Farage tried that, it didn't really work out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jBrereton posted:

Winning is a lot easier if people turn up and vote for you mind.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Someone beat you.

Although they're not the big kind that you can grow things in.

My dad was in the ROC until it was stood down in the early '90s. Even got to go to Buckingham Palace for some afternoon tea party, which I'd totally forgotten happened until you posted that map. I've no idea why he got involved, I think it was just an excuse to hang out with his friends. But there's something reassuring about the idea that at least some of the people in the ROC were totally chill stoners.

jabby posted:

Saying Corbyn has damaged the left is a bit extreme considering prior to his leadership the left consisted entirely of him, John McDonnell, and the Green party.

It was the left's first chance at the leadership of a major party since Michael Foot, which was before I was born. And they dropped the ball. They have done a piss poor job of standing out, apart from on Trident. And that's an unpopular policy. It could quite easily be another 30 years until we get another sniff. That's damaging.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Winning is a lot easier if people turn up and vote for you mind.
Even easier if the opposition just doesn't show up.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

-someone who ignores the freefall of Labour's support and finances under New Labour in government

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

Yes, the actual decisions and actions they make and not the fairy tales people tell.

jBrereton posted:

And then you get Brexit. Who knew.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 25, 2017

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

It was the left's first chance at the leadership of a major party since Michael Foot, which was before I was born. And they dropped the ball. They have done a piss poor job of standing out, apart from on Trident. And that's an unpopular policy. It could quite easily be another 30 years until we get another sniff. That's damaging.

Hard to stand out when Tony purged everyone who was a threat

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Yes, the actual decisions and actions they make and not the fairy tales people tell.

A consequence of Corbyn's decisions and actions was a disastrous by-election result in Copeland last night.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

I didn't claim the linear interpolation between the points meant anything and nobody was having a conversation about that. Drawing lines between data points is normal and I'm sorry I obviously confused you. I'd like to point out that I adhered to the practice of marking the discrete data points with squares to make it clear that it wasn't continuous data.

But it does show two things:

1. Yes, Labour support declined whilst in power. This is not obvious because the "conventional wisdom" that parties always lose support when in power isn't even true. e.g. The Tories in 1979-1992 specifically don't show any such trend. The SNP have been in government in Scotland since 2007 and do not show this trend. Many councils across this country do not show this trend. As I've already pointed out in an earlier post there are Labour MPs that gained vote share in 2010 which also doesn't adhere to this blind assertion. People really need to stop parroting this bollocks.

2. Copeland continued to decline in Labour support in 2015 at roughly the same rate it had when Labour was in power in complete opposition to the national result.

It makes no sense to claim 1997-2010 was "national windsock" swings, to ignore 2015, and claim 2017 is national mood again. Make a hypothesis that accounts for all of the data and don't just handwave.

Fair enough, I think the black arrow being placed where it was may have confused me.

As you correctly say, the line it's pointing to means nothing.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
It is disgustingly irresponsible of Corbyn that he hasn't resigned today after he lead his party to humiliating defeat in that by-election.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/835172452296716288

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

hakimashou posted:

It is disgustingly irresponsible of Corbyn that he hasn't resigned today after he lead his party to humiliating defeat in that by-election.

Tell me more :allears:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Paxman posted:

Fair enough, I think the black arrow being placed where it was may have confused me.

As you correctly say, the line it's pointing to means nothing.

I would've hoped that the graph title would've given away that a certain amount of the presentation is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek.

Pissflaps posted:

A consequence of Corbyn's decisions and actions was a disastrous by-election result in Copeland last night.

It's understandable given that you're not a member of a political party and have no loving clue about the amount of hard work and sheer number of different people that goes into every level of politics that you'd rather just put all the blame and credit on certain individuals of national prominence because you're lazy.

I'm really sorry the world is too complex for you to understand Pissflaps, I really am.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Doesn't include the contextual nature of reality.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

I'm really sorry the world is too complex for you to understand Pissflaps, I really am.

None of this is Corbyn's fault and only people as clever as you are able to understand this. I see.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

Doesn't include the contextual nature of reality.

You're completely ignoring that I and others acknowledge that Corbyn's unpopularity in Copeland was a (relatively small) factor but ok sure.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

No, that's failing to capitalise on an opportunity. If Corbyn doesn't achieve anything then the Left will go back to the position it was in before his leadership, which is to say absolutely nowhere. You're acting like his election was the culmination of a carefully planned assault on capitalism rather than one of the few remaining left-wing Labour MPs getting thrust into the limelight against all expectation.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

None of this is Corbyn's fault and only people as clever as you are able to understand this. I see.

I prefer to try and find the actual root cause of events rather than pick the easiest story and just go with it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

You're completely ignoring that I and others acknowledge that Corbyn's unpopularity in Copeland was a (relatively small) factor but ok sure.

You cant let the fantasy of corbynismo overtake the reality of Corbyn.

He is no good.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Pissflaps posted:

so you only quote the parts that give you the answer you want as opposed to the whole response which you can't answer. I see

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Let's be fair, being cleverer than you is a rather low bar. I mean, you think people are saying Corbyn is blameless when the only thing to suggest as such is a Have I Got News For You tweet. Which is not actually a poster in this thread, I feel the need to point out for you.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

I prefer to try and find the actual root cause of events rather than pick the easiest story and just go with it.

No youre trying to spin a line of nuance to defend the farce that is Jeremy Corbyn.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Pissflaps posted:

No youre trying to spin a line of nuance to defend the farce that is Jeremy Corbyn.

Horseshit. You can't even defend your own farce. I see

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Tesseraction posted:

Let's be fair, being cleverer than you is a rather low bar. I mean, you think people are saying Corbyn is blameless when the only thing to suggest as such is a Have I Got News For You tweet. Which is not actually a poster in this thread, I feel the need to point out for you.

If everyone was as clever as pissflaps there wouldn't be a brexit and you'd have won that by-election because jeremy corbyn wouldn't be an albatross around the neck of labour.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

You can always graph the raw votes too

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This but unironically.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

I may not be clever but at least I didn't vote Leave.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Horseshit. You can't even defend your own farce. I see

Isn't the real farce that labour lost a super safe seat it had held for 80 years, in a shocking political debacle the likes of which hasnt been seen in four decades, because of the most unpopular party leader in the party's history, an arrogant entitled man who puts himself before his party and refuses to do the honourable thing and resign?

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

Jezza Corbyn has had a rough week so i hope he takes some time over the weekend to just sit back and relax, hell, he has earned it !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

My dad was in the ROC until it was stood down in the early '90s. Even got to go to Buckingham Palace for some afternoon tea party, which I'd totally forgotten happened until you posted that map. I've no idea why he got involved, I think it was just an excuse to hang out with his friends. But there's something reassuring about the idea that at least some of the people in the ROC were totally chill stoners.
Mine was a GPO lineman/tech, so he got to go into all kinds of places that had telecoms stuff, from the Tele-Talk units in ROC bunkers to teletype machines in strategic bases to pensioners who couldn't get dial tone. No afternoon teas in palaces though.

Nowadays all that strategic comms that still exists is probably farmed out to ATOS or G4S.

• Locked thread