Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

actually, Zelda is the princess

Don't really remember much about Midnight in Paris other than some cute parts.
One of those was Allison Pill as Zelda Fitzgerald :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I forgot how good the Unsolved Mysteries theme song is

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Coffee And Pie posted:

Here's my list, y'all have the night to change my mind

Spring Breakers (2013)
Wet Hot American Summer (2001)
Rear Window (2013)
Independence Day (1996)
Do The Right Thing (1989)
The Way Way Back (2013)
Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
Die Hard With A Vengeance (1995)
Inherent Vice (2014)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Point Break (1991)
Jaws (1975)
The Big Lebowski (1998)
Friday the 13th (1980)
Stand By Me (1986)

Presented in the order they came to mind

This list is real good but The Way Way Back is not on the level of the rest of the movies on this list. It's good, but this list is filled with movie that are either great, iconic, or both, and Way Way Back is neither great nor iconic.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Unsolved Mysteries scared the everloving crap out of me when I was a kid and my mom watched it like every drat day

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Unsolved Mysteries opening just makes me think of this Mr. Show sketch, every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP1bg1R5XQc

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Look up "emulation wiki" if you're ever going for an emulator, seems like it's the most up to date in terms of recommendations & stuff. GBA is apparently mostly done besides some of the weird gimmick stuff. It's interesting that emulators include an option to desaturate early GBA games because so many were designed around the colors being dulled by a lack of backlighting.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

GBA emulation has problems with lag and framerate, unless you burn the roms to a flash cart.

As far as I can tell this is not the case at all

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I forgot how good the Unsolved Mysteries theme song is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgnHxbzPkrw

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

Maybe it was the case in 2002, when the first GBA emulator came out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

Well maybe they solved it since last time I checked, but pretty much every drat let's play of a GBA game you can find on youtube is choppy as gently caress because of the emulation limitations.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

DJ PAAAAUUUULLLLLLLL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhYbjC1WPPI

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 25, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

wyoming posted:

Yeah the first one definitely mastered atmosphere, something the later games lacked, but two just felt fast paced and weird, and I really liked the moth dudes. Really missed out though by not calling the Emperor Ing the Ing King.

How is Axiom Verge, worth playing?
Axiom Verge is solid, it's got a couple of gimmicks but is pretty much a boilerplate metroidvania. It probably benefited from coming out with little competition in its genre, but it's worth checking out. I definitely enjoyed it.

I'll have to like into that GBA emulator, I guess. I always heard good things about Fusion and completely missed the boat on that. I've never been big on mobile games.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I REALLY liked Fraser Boy and Lil' Wyte. Fraser Boy was like a combo of Killer Mike and Project Pat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Watching X-Files from season 1 was a good decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qtdrb08UBk

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Lurdiak posted:

Well maybe they solved it since last time I checked, but pretty much every drat let's play of a GBA game you can find on youtube is choppy as gently caress because of the emulation limitations.

It's the opposite. Emulators can't be used for things like speed runs because they're an advantage.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

X-Files is really good.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I REALLY liked Fraser Boy and Lil' Wyte. Fraser Boy was like a combo of Killer Mike and Project Pat.

Tennessee rap gets overlooked a lot. I have a buddy from Memphis that's friends with Lil Wyte, on stage with him and poo poo in a lot of his shows. That whole Memphis scene was filled with so much fuckin talent, I haven't heard much out of there lately, though I'm sure theres a lot of young dudes making some great music. And of course, Project Pat is a legend. There's a funny Pimp C anecdote about him hearing Pat's "Choose U" while he was in prison and calling up DJ Paul and telling him he wanted the track. Paul told him he'd cook something up for him and go over it with Pat and Pimp was just adamant about wanting the instrumental exactly as it was on Pat's album.

I haven't been able to get into Run The Jewels, but I loved Killer Mike and all those Purple-Ribbon/Dungeon Family guys like 10 years ago.

If I had the time I would totally research and dig into the history, progression, and deep cuts of the Dirty South's rap scene. A person could probably fill an entire book on the phenomenon of Triggerman (Drag Rap by The Showboys of NYC) in Memphis and New Orleans.

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 25, 2017

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Youtube comments is actually great for getting some cool history on deep cuts from old head DJs who like to go on there and reminisce about back in the day.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
My restaurant is currently flooded with VICE drones, ama.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Budgie Jumping posted:

My restaurant is currently flooded with VICE drones, ama.

Have any of them bumped into your gigantic head yet

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Youtube comments is actually great for getting some cool history on deep cuts from old head DJs who like to go on there and reminisce about back in the day.

Ya finding comments that lead to sick tracks is a secret youtube Easter egg

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yeah, one of the most surprisingly chill YouTube comment sections consistently is gangsta rap. Who would ever guess that people are generally more civil on some drat C-BO song than most any other subject you could think of.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tennessee rap gets overlooked a lot. I have a buddy from Memphis that's friends with Lil Wyte, on stage with him and poo poo in a lot of his shows. That whole Memphis scene was filled with so much fuckin talent, I haven't heard much out of there lately, though I'm sure theres a lot of young dudes making some great music. And of course, Project Pat is a legend. There's a funny Pimp C anecdote about him hearing Pat's "Choose U" while he was in prison and calling up DJ Paul and telling him he wanted the track. Paul told him he'd cook something up for him and go over it with Pat and Pimp was just adamant about wanting the instrumental exactly as it was on Pat's album.

I haven't been able to get into Run The Jewels, but I loved Killer Mike and all those Purple-Ribbon/Dungeon Family guys like 10 years ago.

If I had the time I would totally research and dig into the history, progression, and deep cuts of the Dirty South's rap scene. A person could probably fill an entire book on the phenomenon of Triggerman (Drag Rap by The Showboys of NYC) in Memphis and New Orleans.

IIRC there's a similar story about Beanie Seigel wanting to do a track with Pat, but I never heard that one before!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I like the Montreal rap scene when they're not trying to front like they're from LA and actually rap authentically.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore has a very Elmore Leonard-y third act.

It also has one of the best hacking scenes in cinema history.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

Doing a top ten summer/warm weather movies for work. Which has to go? (Suggestions also welcome)
Spring Breakers (2013)
Wet Hot American Summer (2001)
Rear Window (2013)
Independence Day (1996)
Do The Right Thing (1989)
The Way Way Back (2013)
Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
Die Hard With A Vengeance (1995)
Inherent Vice (2014)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Point Break (1991)

Stray Dog.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Kept assuming the end of GET OUT would be a dream but instead it was just kind of lazy

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RCvs3cA6PU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Shoutout to the girl a couple seats over from me who spent the majority of Get Out arguing with her friends that various characters weren't being racist

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
My opinion on Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk is "better than"/"actually good" version of American Sniper.

Would also be a good double-feature with Suicide Squad.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Jenny Angel posted:

Shoutout to the girl a couple seats over from me who spent the majority of Get Out arguing with her friends that various characters weren't being racist

The true 4D.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Jenny Angel posted:

:chloe:

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

The true 4D.

i lol'd

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Jenny Angel posted:

are you sure it wasn't like, some kind of weird william castle-esque "immersive cinema" thing

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

The true 4D.

hahaha

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Jenny Angel posted:

This is me, except for every movie I see in theaters.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

are you sure it wasn't like, some kind of weird william castle-esque "immersive cinema" thing

there might be a black person in the theater RIGHT NOW!!!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Budgie Jumping posted:

This is me, except for every movie I see in theaters.

Ha, you go to movies with friends

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I can't get hype for new Zelda because Nier 2 comes out like for days later. I still have trouble believing that game is gonna exist

Also, to whoever was asking about Axiom Verge, it starts good but gets real awful by the end

corn in the bible posted:

Kept assuming the end of GET OUT would be a dream but instead it was just kind of lazy

And It all being a dream wouldn't have been lazy???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Following US politics has me saying, "Wait, that's legal?" on a daily basis. Handpicking which news outlets get to attend White House press conferences. How is there nothing in place to prevent such an absurdly obvious miscarriage of press freedom?

e: I'll talk about movies when the nightmare is over.

I had an argument today with a coworker during lunch where I tried to explain to her that the Supreme Court had no jurisdiction in this matter because it was a "rule" rather than a "law". It's rough sometimes talking politics with well-intentioned liberals that don't really understand laws and government. we were able to agree that it was "a dick move", and that, if it was under Congress' purview (which I argued it COULD be), nothing would happen to stop Trump from excluding whatever outlets he didn't want.

on this subject, I think it's only a matter of time before the Trump administration is doing press only with sympathetic conservative outlets, and refuses to even talk to the media. Which, ironically, will make the leak problem worse.

the upside of all this is that it's going to be insanely hard, for the time being, for the Republicans to pass much. Trump's first 100 days are probably going to be among the least effectual ever for a new president. The destruction of Obamacare is fouled up because a number of the morons finally connected the dots between "Obamacare" and their medical coverage, and because some Republicans are naive enough to think their party could muster up any sort of replacement plan, AND because the House Freedom Caucus is asking for too much at once, and the current proposal ties in Planned Parenthood defunding, meaning Murkowski and Collins at least would vote no.

Republican voters wanted someone who didn't know how to do even the most basic aspects of presidenting, AND THEY GOT HIM.

• Locked thread