Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Finally got around to finishing the first story arc with my agent since I had left them stranded in Hoth since launch.

Playing the other classes first (empire side) really has a payoff with agent, especially towards the end when they realize everyone else is pretty much screwing everything up.

Sorus fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

McSpanky posted:

1-Swamp Rancor
2-Corellian Stardrive Spark
3-Savage Phalone

Thanks for the great opportunity guys, I feel like a pretty princess :3:
I am glad to see I made the right choice in donating the Rancor :)

After you guys clear out the neat stuff I'll have to have a look around my dudes and see what other interesting stuff I have kicking around for the next one.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

1 - Swamp Rancor
2- TY-4N/T4-1D
3 - Fearsome Rage

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

My Sorc is now GC lvl 300 and here is my trip report:

Tier 1 (ilvl 230): Earpiece, Implants, Chest, Wrist, Glove

Tier 2 (ilvl 236): Earpiece, Impant, Relic of SA, Wrist, Helmet

Tier 3 (ilvl 242): Earpiece, Implants, Relic of SA, Relic of FR, Chest, Belt, Wrist

Several Earpieces, Implants, and Relics that were not useful i.e. non-Adept, Serendipitous Assault, Focused Retribution. Several non-Set Bonus 234 and 240 pieces that weren't useful because I already had crafted 240 mods/enhancements. Though I feel my Set Bonus drop rate was probably on the low side I at least didn't get any copies.

I also have ~2500 Command Tokens and ~900 Unassembled Components that I haven't used yet because 1) didn't want to waste them on the chance I get a drop 2) I never felt I had a gear disadvantage in WZ's. If I didn't already have Set Bonus 208's would have used Compenents to get full 230's.

I've been shockingly lucky getting my Operative's gear. Got one piece on my Scoundrel for the DPS set, and am 5/6 on the healing set, GC level 118.

Not using any of the unassembled tokens because I'm about 95% positive they'll make those bind to legacy or lower the costs soon enough.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
So I finally finished the Agent story line. Definitely get the "best story" vibe. That said, I dunno I think I like Scoundrel better, there's something satisfying about pistol-whipping dudes and shotguns to the back of the head.

E: also kicking folks in the crotch

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 22, 2017

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
1. T4-1D
2. Mawvorr
3. TY-4N

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Current prize choices for Medullah:

Bilirubin
-Fearsome Rage
-Gloomlight Vrake
-Stormcrest Vorn Tiger

M_Sinistrari
1st choice: Cosmic Statue decoration
2nd choice: Rakghoul Tuning

McSpanky
1-Swamp Rancor
3-Savage Phalone

Sombrerotron
one-man-band emote

RescueFreak
1 - Swamp Rancor
2- TY-4N/T4-1D
3 - Fearsome Rage

Ossipago
1. T4-1D
2. Mawvorr
3. TY-4N

Autism Sneaks
???

Viscardus
???

Just need a roll off on the Swamp Rancor currently, although we still have two prize winners who need to make a choice.

Aleth fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 22, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Man, the Swamp Rancor is seriously pimp. Mess with the giant ape-lizard, get the horns :clint:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

McSpanky posted:

Man, the Swamp Rancor is seriously pimp. Mess with the giant ape-lizard, get the horns :clint:

I did take a long look at that one and the Nanthema mount, but I really do need to work on my strongholds more. After that, it's either mad mount collecting or pet hoarding.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
So I started playing this a little more than two weeks ago, and I get the feeling that this event is really skewing my perception of the game. I've already cleared the Sith Warrior and Inquisitor storylines (none of the expansion content), and am working on the Agent now, trying to find a play style that I really like and just enjoying the stories. I'm leveling very fast and my gear isn't always keeping up as I'm mostly just doing class missions. I only did all of the class and planet missions on my warrior, and at the end of the class storyline I'm already into the command ranks. I skipped most of the planet missions on the Inquisitor, and still am level ~65 at the end of the class storyline.

The thing that is throwing me off is that there really seems to be little group content built in or required. I was expecting the sort of WOW/FFXIV required grouping experience for quest dungeons. Hell, as far as I can tell, not a single flashpoint is even actually required to progress. Even if I wanted to do a flashpoint with a group, it seems like I would just have to put a group together on my own? The group finder, which I used exactly once, resulted in me being told to not use it until I was 70 and geared, by some pubbies who promptly quit the flashpoint. Perhaps that experience was just an anomaly? I thought the SM flashpoints were supposed to be easy enough that gear and stuff shouldn't matter. I also may be spoiled, as the FFXIV community is supposed to be one of the nicest, as far as MMOs are concerned, and that's what i played last.

I guess my question is - 'When should I start trying to do dungeons and how well geared do I need to be to do them?' I just want to experience the content, play with some folks, and have a good time. On that note, I should get around to joining the guild some day, I just always forget to look up someone when I'm on.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
If anyone is telling you that you can't do a story mode flashpoint (dungeon) or operation (raid) while underleveled they are both terrible at the game and terrible people in general.

SWTOR has over time changed a lot of content to allow solo players to experience as much of it as possible. There are a handful of flashpoints that are part of the overall story--a few of them are mandatory in the expansion storylines--but all of these have a solo mode option in which you get a practically invincible helper bot. Even in the story modes you get a Bolster effect that raises your gear stats to an acceptable level. Acquiring gear is only useful for the harder difficulty levels. Using the group finders for flashpoints is usually fine, in my experience most players are more tolerant. That doesn't mean they're trivially easy but gear isn't the issue. For the story mode operations you don't need gear either but you should know how to play the class decently well and at least skim a boss guide to know what to expect, and it's better to join a group that's manually organized (respond to people forming up a group on Fleet chat) than to solo queue.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Yeah, I've run a few flashpoints solo with the godbot (Black Talon, Boarding Party, Foundry) and it's just very... unfulfilling, I guess? Not that mechanically grinding dungeons with random pubbies is ideal, but at least then you have to know your role and be competent. If the group runs smoothly you can at least know that everyone was going reasonably well.

I'll see about trying again on my Sorc or Jugs, and ping the next person in the guild i see for an invite. Thanks for the answer.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
The solo FPs are designed so you can just experience the storyline without having to get a group together and run it and have minimal loot as a consequence. Group finder + bolster is there as Promethium mentioned but the one thing to note with that is it likes to put groups together with 0 healing so you have to be a bit more aware of the various healing stations dotted through the FP.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Also, the solo flashpoints being available so you can see the full cinematics means if you DO get into a Flashpoint through group finder, the expectation is that you're going to space bar through the cinematics because chances are you're in a group that's seen them a hundred times. Don't the solo mode ones as you level in order is really the best way to fully see the story.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Long story short: SWTOR isn't a very good MMO.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

It's an OK to pretty good single player RPG though!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

Hey there's a new raid coming slowly but surely this year! Hopefully people actually run it so EA says "Oh hey, Bioware, we CAN introduce MMORPG elements to our MMORPG!"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

They're increasing the amount of components from PvP on the 28th -

quote:

Hey folks,
As I mentioned in the GC roadmap thread, 5.1.2 at the end of February will bring a lot of changes to Missions and Unassembled Components. For this post I want to focus on Unassembled Components and the specific changes that you can expect. Below you will find the new values along with what their old values were.
warzone Win: 8 (up from 5)
Warzone Loss: 3 (up from 2)
Arena Win: 4 (up from 3)
Arena Loss: 2 (up from 1)
Solo Ranked Win: 8 (up from 5)
Solo Ranked Loss: 3 (up from 2)
Group Ranked Win: 10 (up from 8)
Group Ranked Loss: 4 (up from 3)
GSF Win: 8 (stays the same)
GSF Loss: 3 (stays the same)
Currently in the game, PvP Missions do not award any Unassembled Components. In 5.1.2 we will be adding them onto all of the Mission rewards. Here are their values:
Warzone Daily: 12
Warzone Weekly: 40
Solo Ranked Daily: 16
Solo Ranked Weekly: 30
Group Ranked Solo: 20
Group Ranked Weekly: 60
These are the adjusted Component rates coming in 5.1.2 on Feb 28. Thanks everyone.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

They're increasing the amount of components from PvP on the 28th -

Basically two pieces of 230 or one 242 each week if you do the bare minimum of the Daily, not bad. All my Sorc is waiting on now is a MH 242.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Basically two pieces of 230 or one 242 each week if you do the bare minimum of the Daily, not bad. All my Sorc is waiting on now is a MH 242.

Yeah, really wish the components were bind to legacy though. Means if you want to upgrade a piece you have to stick to one character for the most part.

Hey gearing question for you, now that I'm thinking about it. What's your thoughts on augments? In PvP my Operative has way too much Crit (46%) and is good on Alacrity - should I dump the crit to get back down to 40% and start using Power augments again? I have a separate earpiece and implants to take care of Accuracy in PvE.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Yeah, really wish the components were bind to legacy though. Means if you want to upgrade a piece you have to stick to one character for the most part.

Hey gearing question for you, now that I'm thinking about it. What's your thoughts on augments? In PvP my Operative has way too much Crit (46%) and is good on Alacrity - should I dump the crit to get back down to 40% and start using Power augments again? I have a separate earpiece and implants to take care of Accuracy in PvE.

1700-1800 Crit (quite a bit less than you're running now off the top of my head), 1000-1200 Alac, and the rest in Power assuming you're talking Concealment. If Lethality I would change 2-300 of that Crit to Alac.

If you're goal is more 1-on-1 than DPS trading the Alac for Power wouldn't hurt.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

That seems like a super low Crit rate, well below what the theory crafters recommend - are you talking just PvP or PvE too? I'm already murdering people in one on one but that's also due to me having a mix of 240/234 gear, full set bonus, and I know how to play my class.

And of course concealment, I enjoy being immortal and being able to hold a node against multiple people. :D

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aleth posted:

Current prize choices for Medullah:

Bilirubin
-Fearsome Rage - Sent!
-Gloomlight Vrake
-Stormcrest Vorn Tiger

M_Sinistrari
1st choice: Cosmic Statue decoration - Sent!
2nd choice: Rakghoul Tuning

McSpanky
1-Swamp Rancor - Sent!
3-Savage Phalone

Sombrerotron
one-man-band emote - Sent!

RescueFreak
1 - Swamp Rancor - Sent!
2- TY-4N/T4-1D
3 - Fearsome Rage

Ossipago
1. T4-1D - SENT
2. Mawvorr
3. TY-4N

Autism Sneaks
???

Viscardus
1. Akk Dog Handler License - Sent!

Just need a roll off on the Swamp Rancor currently, although we still have two prize winners who need to make a choice.

Post your in game character names for me to send prizes to.

Rescue Freak and McSpanky you both picked the Rancor - if one of you wants to concede go for it, otherwise we can have a roll off. Autism Speaks and Viscardus, pick your drat prizes or I'll mail you a level 12 implant.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 28, 2017

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

That seems like a super low Crit rate, well below what the theory crafters recommend - are you talking just PvP or PvE too? I'm already murdering people in one on one but that's also due to me having a mix of 240/234 gear, full set bonus, and I know how to play my class.

And of course concealment, I enjoy being immortal and being able to hold a node against multiple people. :D

Well ~1750 Crit would put you at ~44% Crit off the top of my head, with Concealment passives (Calculated Frenzy) you'd be sitting right at 50%. I've never seen anyone recommending over 1800 Crit for anything. My Corruption Sorc is ~1500 Crit, ~1500 Alac, and over 4000 Power.

The main reason to stop there isn't so much Crit rating it's Surge. The Crit DR is a smooth curve while Surge hits a brick wall. The main advantage of Crit rating is the Crit/Surge twofer so once Surge isn't there obviously that's not the case anymore.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Medullah posted:

Meschia.

Thanks dude!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Medullah posted:

Rescue Freak and McSpanky you both picked the Rancor - if one of you wants to concede go for it, otherwise we can have a roll off.

Johnny Everysith, rolloff or bust!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ossipago posted:

Meschia.

Thanks dude!

Sent!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Medullah posted:

Rescue Freak and McSpanky you both picked the Rancor - if one of you wants to concede go for it, otherwise we can have a roll off. Autism Speaks and Viscardus, pick your drat prizes or I'll mail you a level 12 implant.

Any of my roster's fine. Tsalaea if you need a name.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

Any of my roster's fine. Tsalaea if you need a name.

Sent!

Edit - Also sent Sombrerotron his to Honeybunch

Medullah fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 25, 2017

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Medullah posted:

Scartina thanks!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

Scartina thanks!

Sent!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Awesome, this is even funnier than I thought

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
It is a great regen item, really nicely done.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Medullah posted:

Snacklax. Lets roll.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I've enjoyed previous Elder Scrolls games, so why not. @mushika38 if I could get an invite.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mushika posted:

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I've enjoyed previous Elder Scrolls games, so why not. @mushika38 if I could get an invite.

Hop on Discord from the OP to get a guild invite. If you can't get on Discord follow the instructions in one of the first three posts to find someone to guild invite you.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Medullah posted:

Hop on Discord from the OP to get a guild invite. If you can't get on Discord follow the instructions in one of the first three posts to find someone to guild invite you.

Oh crap! Wrong thread. So sorry.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Heads up to all my Discord peeps that you should change your password since Discord has been compromised by Cloudbleed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

Heads up to all my Discord peeps that you should change your password since Discord has been compromised by Cloudbleed.

Yeah I saw that, I think someone brought it up in Discord the other day. Mine's a Discord only password and I use 2FA soooooooo I think I'll just be lazy and leave it.

In other news, rather than deal with coordinating a roll off I just bought another loving Swamp Rancor and sent one to RescueFreak and McSpanky. My laziness benefits you both.

Edit - Viscardus and Autism Speaks, you have until Monday night to pick a prize from the leftovers or I'll send you a random one.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Medullah posted:

Yeah I saw that, I think someone brought it up in Discord the other day. Mine's a Discord only password and I use 2FA soooooooo I think I'll just be lazy and leave it.

In other news, rather than deal with coordinating a roll off I just bought another loving Swamp Rancor and sent one to RescueFreak and McSpanky. My laziness benefits you both.

Edit - Viscardus and Autism Speaks, you have until Monday night to pick a prize from the leftovers or I'll send you a random one.

YOU GET A SWAMP RANCOR! AND YOU GET A SWAMP RANCOR!

(the best guild leader! <3 Would you please grind my main's GC to tier II TIA)

• Locked thread