Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.

repiv posted:

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_ryzen_rog_am4_crosshair_vi_hero_preview/1

A nice detail that slipped under the radar because ASUS forgot to tell anyone - the ROG Hero is backwards compatible with existing AM3 cooler mounts. Hopefully that extends to their cheaper boards as well.

That's awesome. I was trying to figure out what cooler to get, and this opens up some more options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I read it as 65W for one core at full boost and the others at whatever they can run at to stay within TDP limits, much like boosting works on Intel's CPUs.

If it is not 8c turbo TDP as I previously mentioned, the packaged cooler will thermally limit the chip which is not good. Maybe the 1700 65w TDP is at idle :laugh:

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

That is normal. Even Intel's chips only run the boost clocks at peak for 1 or 2 cores for long periods of time.

Words mean things. Especially when talking about boost clocks, base clocks, and TDP's. And what about the rest of the post? Did what I said make sense or what? I don't think I was being harsh at all.

I missed a single word but still implied 1 core at load is basically idle for an 8 core chip.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Risky Bisquick posted:

If it is not 8c turbo TDP as I previously mentioned, the packaged cooler will thermally limit the chip which is not good. Maybe the 1700 65w TDP is at idle :laugh:

I missed a single word but still implied 1 core at load is basically idle for an 8 core chip.

Wait a second, you weren't already assuming that the packaged cooler would hit thermal limits under load at stock? :lol:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Risky Bisquick posted:

I can't tell if you're being willfully obtuse at this point or not. 65W TDP is for 3.0Ghz baseclock across every single core, and may include one core turboing up to 3.7Ghz. It's almost exactly the same scenario as a 6900K, but I guess you're right, the 6900K clearly uses 140W on loving idle clocks.

Wait, are you trying to imply that single core turbo is just a single core in use? Hahahahahahahahahaha, holy poo poo.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This is getting stupid. Most of us understood what FaustianQ was saying anyway.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

This is getting stupid. Most of us understood what FaustianQ was saying anyway.

I mean I know I talk like an idiot and mangle grammar constantly but drat.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

@Paul MaudDib - whoah, so with AVX a big Intel chip, overclocked, can go around 340W? Cooling them quietly must be a good challenge, holy poo poo.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Corsair did some stress testing of clocks versus required voltage. I'm not sure what their stress test was (i.e. whether it's AVX or not) but it kind of gives you an idea of the curves involved here.

Oh and potentially obvious statement here but the scale starts at 3.5 GHz, so it tends to make this curve look less steep than it actually is. We're talking about basically 20% of the frequency range actually being visible in this chart. The curve gets REALLY steep in the last couple hundred MHz.

Here's my attempt at resizing the chart to scale. Please forgive my ghettofabulous Paint.net skills.

Obviously it's probably not flat like that...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 25, 2017

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Regarding OC potential. There are three rumors out there.

1. OCUK tested a 1700 and hit 4050Ghz on the big ASUS board. Other boards fared worse, with top OC speeds around 3.8Ghz.

quote:

We just tested a 1700, it hit 4.0GHz stable in everything, but ONLY in the Crosshair mainboard, the lower-end boards it was hovering around 3.80GHz as the VRM’s were cooking with extra voltage. It however was maxing around 4050MHz, so I’d say 1700 can do 3.9-4.1GHz, of course the 1800X will probably do 4.1-4.3 as no doubt better binned, but if your clocking the motherboard has a big impact on the overclock and so far Asus Crosshair and Asrock Taichi seem the best two.

2. During the unveil presentation, AMD invited some known overclockers to play with Ryzen. They managed 5.2Ghz+ on liquid nitrogen (about the same that 6900k can do), and smashed the world record in cinebench R15 for 8 core processors.

quote:

The record run shows a group of overclockers putting an AMD Ryzen 7 1800X chip through the test in Cinebench R15. The chip was cooled with LN2 and voltage was bumped to an outrageous 1.875V. This allowed the overclockers to push this chip to 5.2 GHz across all 8 cores using LN2 cooling which kept the chip operating at a cool -200c. This is absolutely amazing for a chip that is yet to be released for consumers.

At these speeds, the chip was able to score 2449 Cinebench points in the multi-threaded tests, breaking the previous world record of 2410 Cinebench points on an 8 core processor. The screenshot for this run wasn’t saved by anyone but another YouTuber managed to grab a few shots of what he was able to. The video can be seen below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAQCWgqZXzk

3. Donanım Haber, one of the biggest tech sites in Turkey, got their review samples from AMD and shared a video about it. They did not share any specific data, but were highly pleased by the performance.

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhKmeCdB914

"Overclock is no problem at all. Though we can not say a certain frequency due to NDA, I can say that it is impressive. Overclockers will be happy."

"I have friends from AMD Engineering department due to my experience in the hardware industry. Zen 2 or Zen B will be even more competitive. So we can say that Intel shall brood on the future"

"With our overclocked 1800x sample,under Noctua cooler given by AMD, we have passed beyond the stock single thread performance of 7700k, in a specific bench, and the temps were great. We had no concern about temps during our run which passes the ST performance of 7700k."

"In some benchmarks AMD(!). It seems ironical yes but AMD is presenting a CPU performance that Intel can not keep up with even with their 10 core 6950x!"

"Breaking NDA won't be a problem since the scores are beyond fantastic. But we will stick with the tradition."

"With one click I can reach great OC's. So I won't really bother with the manual OC no more."

"Single thread score will be so great. According to this performance we can say that 7700K will be history, even for gaming, from now on" he said.

"Intel shall shake themself. Because Ryzen will be a great choice for Overclock enthusiast."

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If we're going to move to a single thread for intel and AMD I feel it's only right that there be a hyperthreading joke in the thread title.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

"Single thread score will be so great. According to this performance we can say that 7700K will be history, even for gaming, from now on" he said."

It'll be crazy unbelievable if that statement means both are stock, or both are overclocked, in typical game engines that don't care about >4 threads.
Infact, it'd be crazy unbelievable if it even matches a 7700K in either above case.

The Lord Bude posted:

If we're going to move to a single thread for intel and AMD I feel it's only right that there be a hyperthreading joke in the thread title.

And platfrom. I don't know why I care so much about that in particular.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 25, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It says something that AMD's press team out in Turkey gave them a Noctua cooler instead of one of the new OEM ones.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

"Single thread score will be so great. According to this performance we can say that 7700K will be history, even for gaming, from now on" he said."

It'll be crazy unbelievable if that statement means both are stock, or both are overclocked, in typical game engines that don't care about >4 threads.
Infact, it'd be crazy unbelievable if it even matches a 7700K in either above case.

Definitely a bold claim, but maybe it's doable with per-core overclocking? Do we know if that is in the cards? :shrug:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Don't know really, but 5Ghz Kaby is plenty strong at gaming and not an unrealistic clock at all, unless you totally lose the silicon lottery.
Highly threaded engines hopefully love Zen, though. The multicore performance seems strong, we do know that.

I totally hope it's faster, even if it dents the resale value of my chip. It just seems the claims are getting more outlandish as time goes by.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 25, 2017

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It says something that AMD's press team out in Turkey gave them a Noctua cooler instead of one of the new OEM ones.

Everyone got a noctua cooler and corsair dominator 3000Mhz ram. Mobos tended to be the top parts from Gigabyte, ASUS and MSI.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I wouldn't overclock an intel cpu on the stock cooler, and looking at the ars technica and anandtech 7700k reviews, they agree with me.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Don't know really, but 5Ghz Kaby is plenty strong at gaming and not an unrealistic clock at all, unless you totally lose the silicon lottery.
Highly threaded engines hopefully love Zen, though. The multicore performance seems strong, we do know that.

Two things collaborate to a strong Ryzen showing for games.

1. Games tend to use more cores/threads nowadays, and this will change even more as we move forward. A couple of interesting articles.

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-02/cpu-skalierung-kerne-spiele-test/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-how-amds-ryzen-will-disrupt-the-cpu-market

2. Ryzen seems to have a pretty competitive IPC, as well as (presumably, if Ryzen Master is to be believed) the ability to OC less cores higher if needed.

http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu_benchmark-cinebench_r11.5_single_core-2

Of course, the above is mainly speculation. We will have to wait for the reviews.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 25, 2017

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Ryzen soldered so no delids?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Seamonster posted:

Ryzen soldered so no delids?

I would assume the 6 core and 8 core versions to be soldered, but the 4 core version is probably going to be pasted unless AMD has figured out a way to make solder work on smaller chips.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
All of this talk about the ASUS Crossfire variant being more efficient at overclocking is getting me scared. I was forced to get one of those Asus Prime x370-Pro due to mostly everything else being sold out. I'm willing to spend a little more to give my CPU the chance to overclock to the fullest, I just hope I don't get screwed if it's really the case that this cheaper board will perform much less on providing power to the CPU.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I would assume the 6 core and 8 core versions to be soldered, but the 4 core version is probably going to be pasted unless AMD has figured out a way to make solder work on smaller chips.
i would have thought the 4 core chips were bins but they're appearing 6 months later

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dante80 posted:

Two things collaborate to a strong Ryzen showing for games.

1. Games tend to use more cores/threads nowadays, and this will change even more as we move forward. A couple of interesting articles.

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-02/cpu-skalierung-kerne-spiele-test/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-how-amds-ryzen-will-disrupt-the-cpu-market

Eh, I'm not sure what Ryzen will do that the last 3 years of games targeting the 8 weedy jaguar cores of the consoles didn't accomplish. And it still seems to be the case that if the CPU is what limits performance, it's mostly about the single core grunt. The i3 7350K smokes a lot of mid-range quad-cores if you run it at 4.8 ghz.

I'm expecting the stock 1700X to lose to stock 7700K in practical gaming benchmarks, and oc'd comparison to push it even farther in intel's favor. But that's still complete speculation, we'll see how much extra the per-core dynamic clocking of Ryzen can extract from it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i would have thought the 4 core chips were bins but they're appearing 6 months later

Yeah, with them coming that much later I assumed that they will be physically different chips. I could be totally off base here of course but the much later launch of the lower end chips makes more sense in a scenario where they need extra time to get new production lines up and running and time to build stock so the launch of the lower end chips doesn't fizzle for lack of availability. Also getting twice the chips per wafer is pretty important to keep costs reasonable. Of course this isn't ideal since it gives Intel more time to respond with price cuts but if the R3 top end chip is $140 and clocks to 4GHz like rumors suggest it's going to absolutely murder Intel in the i3/i5 market, there's a lot of volume there so it could hit Intel pretty hard in the bottom line even though profit per chip is way lower than in the server/HPC space.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230986880&postcount=2076

Interesting.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Really gets those neurons firing...

eames
May 9, 2009

potential cache erratum, manufacturers rushing boards out the door with unfinished BIOSes, there's really no new info in that neogaf post.
we'll just have to wait for the 28th/2nd and potentially weeks longer to get a decent picture of the final performance.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Look at you nattering nabobs of negativism. It's not like the last 2 major architectures AMD has released both had critical flaws that were revised in a subsequent refresh, or anything.

(Not that Intel hasn't had oopsies either, but in comparison...)

Also, it's pretty funny how on the quantum hype-train the overclocks are both awesome, and perhaps have some severe problems but are definitely getting better in the next BIOS, all at the same time...

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Maybe that's the reason for the staggered releases, the oddly separated dates may mean new steppings and any actual bins currently would exacerbate the current problems.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Toalpaz posted:

All of this talk about the ASUS Crossfire variant being more efficient at overclocking is getting me scared. I was forced to get one of those Asus Prime x370-Pro due to mostly everything else being sold out.
As near as I can tell the mobo you bought has a 10 phase VRM and the Crosshair (the ASUS AM4 mobo with the most phases) has a 12 phase VRM. The cheap rear end boards have like 4 or 6 phase VRM's. All other things being equal there shouldn't be much of a difference when it comes to overclocking either on air and probably water between your mobo and the Crosshair. If you wanted to do phase change or LN2 OK maybe there would be a significant difference but otherwise I wouldn't get scared.

eames
May 9, 2009

nifty graphs compiled by 3dcenter:

EA's upcoming Mass Effect: Andromeda is rumoured to scale better with threads than frequency.
It's just one title but regardless great timing for AMD because those benchmarks will make the rounds during the launch week.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

Look at you nattering nabobs of negativism. It's not like the last 2 major architectures AMD has released both had critical flaws that were revised in a subsequent refresh, or anything.

(Not that Intel hasn't had oopsies either, but in comparison...)

Also, it's pretty funny how on the quantum hype-train the overclocks are both awesome, and perhaps have some severe problems but are definitely getting better in the next BIOS, all at the same time...

I won't exclude the possibility that AMDs first patch of B stepping has some fuckery in the L3, but the reports of bad BIOS's, poor memory performance, low number of boards, potentially of better OC with better BIOS, etc makes it sound way more likely that AMD's board partners are lagging behind. Hell there was some report back in December that AMD has been ready for months but has had to sit on their hands while ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, et al play catch up. AMD is probably pushing this out now to maximize the window they have between Intel desktop releases to establish mindshare.

I'll probably be sitting on this 4590 until later this year anyway, the only thing I'm buying from AMD within the next 6 months is a GPU. Hopefully if there are any serious problems they'll be resolved by then.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

Well when we got to 3D tech for SSDs, it really makes sense that we should have 5 dimensional hype trains to stay ahead of the curve.

Still excited about Ryzen. Hopefully my laptop will hold out until Ryzen/Vega APUs are available for mobile.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

hifi posted:

I wouldn't overclock an intel cpu on the stock cooler, and looking at the ars technica and anandtech 7700k reviews, they agree with me.

I thought K-series chips didn't come with stick coolers anymore?

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

JnnyThndrs posted:

I thought K-series chips didn't come with stick coolers anymore?
They don't, the stock Intel coolers are terrible and would be useless for overclocking.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Klyith posted:

Prosumers: Yes, backups! You should make backups! I got this nifty hard drive box from seagate that exposes all of my files to the internet when I push the button.

Fixed.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think the 4 core zens will be APUs. They won't necessarily be (much) smaller silicon because they'll have a GPU smashed in there.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

FuturePastNow posted:

I think the 4 core zens will be APUs. They won't necessarily be (much) smaller silicon because they'll have a GPU smashed in there.

Not making 4-core threadrippers is leaving money on the table though.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Toalpaz posted:

All of this talk about the ASUS Crossfire variant being more efficient at overclocking is getting me scared. I was forced to get one of those Asus Prime x370-Pro due to mostly everything else being sold out. I'm willing to spend a little more to give my CPU the chance to overclock to the fullest, I just hope I don't get screwed if it's really the case that this cheaper board will perform much less on providing power to the CPU.

If you do plan on overclocking, you could pick up some MOSFET heatsinks. Something like these Enzotech heatsinks would work. Pack of ten, so just enough to cover all the VRMs.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I never had to care for AMD's CPU architechture until Ryzen.

If it does turn out to be really good, what's the best AM4 motherboards for it, and is AMD making any budget Ryzens in the future?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I wonder how much thermal headroom you get if you disable hyperthreading. You aren't going to need 16 threads most of the time anyway. If no hyperthreading means higher clock speeds, that could mean better performance in typical high demand scenarios (vidja games).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Junior Jr. posted:

I never had to care for AMD's CPU architechture until Ryzen.

If it does turn out to be really good, what's the best AM4 motherboards for it, and is AMD making any budget Ryzens in the future?

R5 and R3 Ryzen chips will come out in 2nd half of this year. Probably like at the start of 4th quarter. Best AM4 motherboard is apparently ASUS crosshair if you're going to overclock. The best one to go with for you if you waited for budget, probably a B350 board.

• Locked thread