Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jade Mage posted:

As I understand it, gear only counts in Dominion. So long as you avoid that, you should be golden

It's in every 4v4 mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Bwuuuuuuhhh, that sucks but I guess it makes sense. That's where you can use feats

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Revelation 2-13 posted:

By far the most salt I've gotten has been as lawbringer, people really dislike being manhandled for most of the fight, I've found. They start saying some real mean things, once the shoving and grabbin' gets going - it's like a million times worse than when I play Kensai. It's a shame they don't know that if they're just quick on the gbc, they basically nullify everything he does.

On this note, when i get put in wide skill or worse, no skill matchmaking, the panic on lawbringers when i sit near a ledge, block their running attack and toss them off a cliff :allears:

Ive never gotten salt when i win with conquror either. Because easy punishes, long range, and 3 shotting opponents is deemed more acceptable than warlord slowly bleeding you to death between headbuts or berserker "spamming attacks".

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Gear is bad and will probably end up killing this game but lmao going full King Kong mode with all ~90 ilvl revenge gear in games where everyone else's gear score is single digits is hilarious.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Indecisive posted:

To follow up this much discussed image, a dude did further testing and it seems like this isn't ENTIRELY the dumpster fire it looks like - EVERYONE can switch block in 8 frames, but there's an unknown 'cooldown' on the effect, so attempting to switch guard too fast will result in the slower times for those classes. So, as long as you aren't spamming guard changes constantly for no reason, your FIRST reaction block can get there in time, unless they feint and switch it up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveForHonor/comments/5vzo5l/block_speed_guard_switch_time_confusion_and_why/

Thank youuu ugh I thought I was loving crazy

I get that the design of games nowadays is to obfuscate these mechanics and you're supposed to "just play" and it should "come naturally" but god drat it is really annoying when I don't know if I missed a GB counter or if it was simply uncounterable. A slightly different colored "uncounterable GB" icon would be great but maybe I'm just a scrub that doesn't know anything about fightin' games :(

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Making untechable GB more obvious would be really cool actually, considering how important to the game they are right now.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Orochi has one the fastest GB animations when he throws it out compared to other classes, but does anyone have a longer range on their GB?

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
I enjoy playing PK mostly. Dual wielding swords has always been a thing for me I guess.

I mainly stopped by to say that her GB range is incredible. For all I know it only looks that way because she's so tiny but she seems like she is always able to cover incredible distance with it and it really catches people off guard.

Still I haven't played much and only just hit rep1.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Controversial Opinion: Skirmish is actually way more fun than Elimination.

Like, at first I hated it but when you are actually playing with 4 humans on the enemy team its a huge chaotic clusterfuck that abandons any semblance of strategy or balance. Its the best mode for just loving around. Plus nobody ever complains about "honor" in it.

Avail posted:

I enjoy playing PK mostly. Dual wielding swords has always been a thing for me I guess.

I mainly stopped by to say that her GB range is incredible. For all I know it only looks that way because she's so tiny but she seems like she is always able to cover incredible distance with it and it really catches people off guard.

Still I haven't played much and only just hit rep1.

Pretty sure all character have the same GB range. The thing is, your GB can range from like 1 foot to 5 if your opponent dodges away. That causes your character to magically lurch forward and grab them from ridiculous distances.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

god the nobushi's level 2 arrow feat is hot garbage, slow as gently caress and small as gently caress making it easy to dodge, AND does no damage, a glorious combination

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Internet Kraken posted:

Controversial Opinion: Skirmish is actually way more fun than Elimination.

More like WRONG OPINION :smuggo:

But no really I want to die when I get stuck in skirmishes.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Jesus Christ high tier wardens are just loving broken right now. All you can do when they pull their vortex is dodge back and even then someone skilled enough can read that and follow up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can you dodge the Warlord's headbutt by dodging to the side?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Internet Kraken posted:

Plus nobody ever complains about "honor" in it.

That is literally the only reason Skirmish is ok. I've stopped responding to people who cry about honor and just started throwing them off cliffs until they quit.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I leave if matchmaking decides to put me in skirmish gently caress that. So 4v4 uses gear? Neat guess this game has zero good game modes. Well I could maybe like 1v1/2v2 if the matchmaking was quick to put me into new games.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 25, 2017

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Internet Kraken posted:

Can you dodge the Warlord's headbutt by dodging to the side?

Yes. You can even get a punish off if you are fast enough.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

fadam posted:

Gear is bad and will probably end up killing this game but lmao going full King Kong mode with all ~90 ilvl revenge gear in games where everyone else's gear score is single digits is hilarious.
are there no modes in this game where gear is irrelevant?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cams posted:

Pretty sure the non- 4v4 modes are, but I could be entirely wrong.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

cams posted:

1v1 and 2v2. Elimination, dominion and the bad mode all use gear stats.

Really I'm willing to give Ubi some time to fix the ridiculous poo poo because the game itself is still real fun despite all that, but at some point they're gonna have to do something, because now :reddit: and your average person is starting to run into the crazy revenge gain/debuff resist/revive time builds as well.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 25, 2017

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

fadam posted:

Ya just had a game were we all had a gear score less than 30, was kicking rear end and stomping the other team. Then a 6 level prestige Warden with max gear showed up. Fucker could solo our team, would get revenge in in blocks and then just two shot everyone on the team. Ya gear is bullshit and will kill this game.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Some pics of my journey through For Honor.

Free Tip: Black raider/beserker is a free and easy way to get people to argue realism. Bonus points if they type in Dues Valt in chat before noticing you.

Orochis, orochis everywhere. I get a team full of orochis almost every other match.

This is why microtransactions exist.

For Honor!.... in dominion of all places. Doesn't happen often but when it does it almost always leads to tears. I think I ended up following the conq around and dropping bear traps and smokebombs all around him.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOyZa-2OIU0

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

I just got one-shot from full health as a Lawbringer by a Shoguki's grab-crunch. Is that normal? I've never seen it before, I was in disbelief.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

1v1 and 2v2. Elimination, dominion and the bad mode all use gear stats.

Really I'm willing to give Ubi some time to fix the ridiculous poo poo because the game itself is still real fun despite all that, but at some point they're gonna have to do something, because now :reddit: and your average person is starting to run into the crazy revenge gain/debuff resist/revive time builds as well.

Uhhhh in the match selection it specifically states gear and feats dont apply i thought? Either way gear doesnt matter in those modes much, particularly the broken revenge gain because a single block creates an untechable gb you can use to throw them off one of the many cliffs or into a hazard.

Re:skirmish
Skirmish owned during the pvp skirm order to use heavies. A clusterfuck of shield bashes, headbutts and cliffs is the closest this game gets to purely casual fun.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

ankle posted:

I just got one-shot from full health as a Lawbringer by a Shoguki's grab-crunch. Is that normal? I've never seen it before, I was in disbelief.

If they are on deaths door the moves property gets changed into an instant kill. They have to be lower than the point health naturally regenerates to when you are close to death.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

ankle posted:

Does more damage the lower his health is, if he has 1 bar it 1 shots, fun fun.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ankle posted:

Yeah, but it's a do or die attack. If they miss, and the move is absolutely trivial to dodge, then the Shugoki goes down to 1 hp and you can land a free light or GB on them.

I'm not sure about heavy, but I think they leave themselves open for that too.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is the shugoki wall splat->command grab guaranteed?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

fadam posted:

Is the shugoki wall splat->command grab guaranteed?

It should be if you immediately start the embrace as soon as you can. I've had a handful of instances where the terrain or something was wonky though and caused my charge to be delayed long enough for them to dodge. Still, most of the time it works, and its so powerful you absolutely should be doing it whenever possible.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah it happened to me a few times today. I think turtle Shugoki is a incredibly strong character.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Shugoki is amazing but gets countered hard by peacekeeper. Nobushis aren't fun either, but they're not the worst thing in the world. Peacekeepers on the other hand can light attack faster than you can block or trade, and once you lose your armor you'll just get torn to shreds instantly.

Actually, interesting note. Nobushis were everywhere in the open beta and were the queens of poo poo mountain at lower MMRs. Never see them anymore at higher MMRs.

I have like a 2.5-1 kdr though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Iron Rose posted:

Shugoki is amazing but gets countered hard by peacekeeper. Nobushis aren't fun either, but they're not the worst thing in the world. Peacekeepers on the other hand can light attack faster than you can block or trade, and once you lose your armor you'll just get torn to shreds instantly.

Actually, interesting note. Nobushis were everywhere in the open beta and were the queens of poo poo mountain at lower MMRs. Never see them anymore at higher MMRs.

Yeah a competent Peacekeeper is probably the hardest matchup for Shugoki. Any character that combos attacks together quickly gives him trouble since its easier to invalidate his poise, and Peacekeeper does this on a basically every attack. You have to get really good at parrying under pressure so you can disengage from the PK and get your poise back.

All of the assassin classes, when played well, are probably the Shugoki's hardest matchups. Wardens too because lol I'm a vanguard but have fast attacks and guaranteed combos anyways.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

The Iron Rose posted:

Nobushis are poo poo against anyone who can parry. Their only crowd control ability comes after an attack so if you just block em/parry them they cant do anything

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
What do you do when the conqueror keeps shield charging at you

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

Zzulu posted:

Nobushis are poo poo against anyone who can parry. Their only crowd control ability comes after an attack so if you just block em/parry them they cant do anything

You can kick from hidden stance too.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Wandle Cax posted:

Sidestep it. Bonus points if you are a class that gets to attack from sidestep as its a free punish, but at the very least after you dodge a shield bash you are at advantage over the conq.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Zzulu posted:

Hah! I think Nobushi are weakest against classes that can deliver a poo poo ton of pressure and won't allow them any space.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

the charge from sprinting can be back stepped or side stepped and you can get a quicker heavy attack in on them for free with its recovery frames.
The shield bash can also be dodged, however he can still block and can/will followup with a heavy or light depending on if he wants to keep the chain going.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Nasgate posted:

Uhhhh in the match selection it specifically states gear and feats dont apply I thought? Either way gear doesnt matter in those modes much, particularly the broken revenge gain because a single block creates an untechable gb you can use to throw them off one of the many cliffs or into a hazard.

That's what I was saying, it says it's on in all the 4v4's, it's off in 1v1 and 2v2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

That's what I was saying, it says it's on in all the 4v4's, it's off in 1v1 and 2v2.

ah, read the period as a comma on my phone.