Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Can an AI with Deity bonuses actually reach enough unhappiness to have rebels?

Geight fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

SKULL.GIF posted:

Gort, you really should submit these tests to Firaxis directly or something. This is very useful feedback.

Seriously, if this is not the level to which Firaxis themselves have tested their patch then I want to know what they did spend their time on. I think it is reasonable to assume they know about those bugs and it's just a case of them going "good enough, ship it".

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

theroachman posted:

Seriously, if this is not the level to which Firaxis themselves have tested their patch then I want to know what they did spend their time on. I think it is reasonable to assume they know about those bugs and it's just a case of them going "good enough, ship it".

Losing a city makes most people quit. And most people playing aren't very good. I fit both of these things. I've never noticed that the AI can't take walled cities because it's never really come to that in my games.

HOWEVER them constantly retreating and swapping their armies around so the hurt units aren't in the line of fire is something I see get noticed all the time. While it's good that Gort has done those tests I don't think that it'd matter to too many people.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Thing is, I played AI-modded Civ 4 where if you don't keep up in your unit production a loving tidal wave of Zulus just eat you alive, so I look out for an AI that's just utterly incompetent when it comes to achieving things in warfare.

And if I can subtly ruin the fun of an entire fanbase at the same time, that's just gravy.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

As I understand it "repair outer defenses" only appears if your city hasn't taken damage for some time. It might also count your encampment being attacked.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

theroachman posted:

I mean...I don't know poo poo about testing but why couldn't you just set up these scenarios and run them ten thousand times, collate the results and iterate from there? (genuine question)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Efexeye posted:

I mean...I don't know poo poo about testing but why couldn't you just set up these scenarios and run them ten thousand times, collate the results and iterate from there? (genuine question)

You'd need to write a process actually capable of doing that, which might not be worth the hours compared to just paying some flesh testers to do it manually. On top of that, AI problems are usually immediately apparent, like with Gort noticing that bombers were wasting attacks on already-destroyed targets.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Efexeye posted:

You could let AIs battle it out and take out some high-level details ("does the AI ever manage to take a city with walls", etc) but you'd need human eyes to spot odd behaviour like pointless unit shuffling, etc.

Incidentally I seem to recall from much earlier in this thread that Firaxis did in fact run a series of AI battle royales on a big screen somewhere in their office, one of which they eventually streamed. And I recall at some point someone saying that the AI they used at the time was the barbarian AI, so war was far more aggressive. Can anyone confirm? Maybe that's why these things were never picked up - it looked fine, then they made some (really bad) tweaks toward the end of the dev cycle, did some token testing and shipped it.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You could let AIs battle it out and take out some high-level details ("does the AI ever manage to take a city with walls", etc) but you'd need human eyes to spot odd behaviour like pointless unit shuffling, etc.

Incidentally I seem to recall from much earlier in this thread that Firaxis did in fact run a series of AI battle royales on a big screen somewhere in their office, one of which they eventually streamed. And I recall at some point someone saying that the AI they used at the time was the barbarian AI, so war was far more aggressive. Can anyone confirm? Maybe that's why these things were never picked up - it looked fine, then they made some (really bad) tweaks toward the end of the dev cycle, did some token testing and shipped it.

The "AI was too good" ruse.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Generally speaking, the nature of a Civ game means that if one of your cities was conquered, the only way you could really catch up in the overall victory race would be to not only take that city back, but conquer more, right?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mild little graphical detail they added in this patch: national parks now actually have a little graphical model on the map besides the green ring. They basically use the Outback Station's outpost and fence around the area, but hey it's something!

Still can't rotate the damned things.

treu
Feb 18, 2011

by Smythe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

And I recall at some point someone saying that the AI they used at the time was the barbarian AI, so war was far more aggressive. Can anyone confirm?

I don't remember this part, but I do remember them saying that out of all the simulations ran that an AI never won a conquest victory even once so....

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Mild little graphical detail they added in this patch: national parks now actually have a little graphical model on the map besides the green ring. They basically use the Outback Station's outpost and fence around the area, but hey it's something!

Still can't rotate the damned things.

I think they were fenced in before and (I missed this as well until I really looked at it) there's no horizontal diamond given the hex testlation.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

As a Florida native, I'm still holding out for the Seminole. It's past time someone in the series actually likes and benefits from marshes.

If you're still playing 5, there's an extremely enjoyable Calusa mod. I can't recall exactly what it does though as I always played it in conjunction with the Events and Decisions mod.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah there's no sideways diamond but they should really allow the two ways you can have a sloped diamond.

Mameluke posted:

If you're still playing 5, there's an extremely enjoyable Calusa mod. I can't recall exactly what it does though as I always played it in conjunction with the Events and Decisions mod.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
I love how the reviews for the new DLC are "mostly negative" with most of them complaining that the DLC isn't meaty enough to count towards what was promised in the season pass. It's funny cause I don't know what they were actually expecting when what they are doing with VI is no different than how they did it for V.

Protip: Don't buy season passes unless you know exactly what is included or it has a big discount.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
New Civs are exactly what I want and expect from DLC, and what I wanted from the season pass. I'd have been disappointed if a dlc was wasted on maps or scenarios with no new civ.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I've noticed that the AI actually says "no" when I request things now, instead of always promising to not settle/convert and then immediately breaking the promise. Baby steps, I guess. Though every request I've made has been denied so maybe they've just swung the other way completely (even my ally Norway refused to quite converting my cities).

Also the AI seems a bit more agreeable diplomatically now if you don't rack up a huge warmonger penalty, I've actually managed to get a very early game alliance going in my first post-patch Australia game. Of course this resulted in my ally declaring war on another Civ in the Renaissance era, slapping me with a big warmonger penalty, so I guess I probably shouldn't actually do it (I just wanted the Inspiration for diplomatic service dangit).

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 25, 2017

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

:siren: Anyone wants to join a PBEM game? :siren:

We're still looking for a replacement for Cascadeβ who, in his own words "completely lost all interest in Civ". In Goon Game 2 he plays Trajan, in Goon Game 3 he's Teddy Roosevelt. Both games are still in the beginning, around turn 20, so you'd actually been missing only the opening. There's still enough opportunity to play the game how you want. If you want to join, send me a PM. You can take the spot in both games or in just one, whatever you prefer.

Sorry for reposting this, it might have gotten lost in all the excitement about the new patch.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Magil Zeal posted:

I've noticed that the AI actually says "no" when I request things now, instead of always promising to not settle/convert and then immediately breaking the promise. Baby steps, I guess. Though every request I've made has been denied so maybe they've just swung the other way completely (even my ally Norway refused to quite converting my cities).

Also the AI seems a bit more agreeable diplomatically now if you don't rack up a huge warmonger penalty, I've actually managed to get a very early game alliance going in my first post-patch Australia game. Of course this resulted in my ally declaring war on another Civ in the Renaissance era, slapping me with a big warmonger penalty, so I guess I probably shouldn't actually do it (I just wanted the Inspiration for diplomatic service dangit).
I just had Gandhi settle five hexes from my capitol and there was no dialogue option for me to tell him to knock that poo poo off :confused:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

jet bombers seem to be doing the heavy lifting in most of these. which is fair enough for the era, but, well, most of the game is pre-bombers.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Thing I have figured out: the Australia scenario map is Australia-shaped, but other than that it's random as far as where everything is. So you can't just say "okay, it looks like Brisbane should go here" and expect it all to work out right. :downs:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Prav posted:

jet bombers seem to be doing the heavy lifting in most of these. which is fair enough for the era, but, well, most of the game is pre-bombers.

Yeah some tests in the not-information era would be interesting too, since the "surprise war from your nearest neighbor" is the most common kind of conflict in civ and tends to happen earlier than later.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So uhhh PBEM Goon game IV is dead or what? I've only had one turn in the last 9 days.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

theroachman posted:

People are apparently buying the garbage anyway. Why bother making it good when the franchise name is doing all the work.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Well I just finished up the weirdest game. The whole game I'm wondering why there's so much empty land, why there's only four civs (including myself) and a single city state on the entire map. At first I'm confident its because I missed some player defeat messages early on but nope, I scan the AI cities and not one has an out of place name.

So I soldier on and sure enough it seems that Germany, Poland and the rest of the city states failed to even spawn in, or settle. They're all listed in the end-of-game graph but there's no data present for any of them.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

So uhhh PBEM Goon game IV is dead or what? I've only had one turn in the last 9 days.

PBEM IV also needs a replacement for CascadeBeta, unfortunately.

I say if there's no takers within a day we should just let the AI have his civs.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Alkydere posted:

Well I just finished up the weirdest game. The whole game I'm wondering why there's so much empty land, why there's only four civs (including myself) and a single city state on the entire map. At first I'm confident its because I missed some player defeat messages early on but nope, I scan the AI cities and not one has an out of place name.

So I soldier on and sure enough it seems that Germany, Poland and the rest of the city states failed to even spawn in, or settle. They're all listed in the end-of-game graph but there's no data present for any of them.

They could have lost their initial settler or something.

I just saw Japan get through the entire game without actually founding any more cities despite sitting on three or four settlers. The AI just sat and did nothing until the Romans conquered them about 4 turns before I won the game.

The AI is definitely a bit better at combat now, and I have seen it take cities. Though cliffs seem to confuse it a bit as it sat a bunch of units in the water moving back and forth while I plinked away at them with a city.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Alkydere posted:

I had a very similar experience a couple days ago and just wrote it off as me accidentally picking Standard or something instead of my usual Tiny/Small.

Is there a way to check my map parameters while ingame?

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Gort posted:

Test 2 settings:

My leader: Cleopatra
Difficulty: Deity
Game Speed: Online
Map Type: Pangaea
Map Size: Duel
AI Leader: Montezuma
Start Era: Information Era
Resources: Abundant
Start Position: Legendary

Domination victory only
No turn limit
No barbarians

Methodology:

Send all military units to find the Aztecs, declare war on same turn they're encountered, then disband all military units. Build a single city, see how long it takes the Aztecs to conquer it. Do not use Envoys. Do not build encampments. USE city strikes.

Turn 208: Game start
Turn 211: Meet Aztecs, declare war, disband all military units.
Turn 215: Aztec infantry corps appears.
Turn 217: Aztec infantry corps retreats.
Turn 221: Aztec ranger and ranger corps appears. They get shot by the city down to red health, then retreat.
Turn 223: Aztecs found a city four tiles to the south-west of our city.
Turn 225: Ranger wanders back into range and dies.
Turn 226: Aztecs offer me two luxuries for 30 turns and 13 GPT for 30 turns in exchange for peace. I refuse. Their ranger corps wanders into range of the city and dies.
Turn 228: Aztec settler enters our territory, just out of city strike range.
Turn 229: Some Aztec units appear - an infantry unit moves into range of the city and gets shot for 26 damage, but we can see a machinegun and a machinegun corps 3 tiles out.
Turn 230: The Aztec units all move adjacent to the city, and a new infantry corps appears. I shoot the infantry for 22.
Turn 231: The machinegun and machinegun corps do nothing but sit adjacent to the city, the damaged infantryman stands still on my industrial district and heals for 5. (Why aren't the machineguns shooting?) Three infantry corps appear on the boarder. I shoot the damaged infantry for 25.
Turn 232: Both machineguns pillage some improvements. The damaged infantry retreats and is replaced by one of the infantry corps. The Aztecs found another city four tiles to the northwest of ours. I shoot the machinegun for 25.
Turn 233: The damaged machinegun shoots our city for 1 point of wall damage. I shoot it back for 25.
Turn 234: More Aztec units show up - there's now a damaged infantry, a damaged machinegun, an infantry army, two infantry corps, a machinegun corps, and two artillery near our city. I shoot the damaged infantry down to red health.
Turn 235: An Eagle Warrior(!) shows up. I bombard it and it dies.
Turn 236: One of the artillery shoots the city for a bit of damage. I shoot it back for 36.
Turn 237: An infantry attacks the city for a bit of damage. I bombard the artillery again for 38.
Turn 238: Two artillery and an infantry attack the city. Walls are now at about 60%. I shoot the artillery and destroy it.
Turn 239: No attacks this turn, so I shoot the other artillery. Lots of pillaging though.
Turn 240: More pillaging, no attacks. I shoot the artillery again.
Turn 241: Artillery and infantry attack this turn. Walls are down to about 20%. I shoot the artillery some more, but it looks like it healed to full somehow (promotion, pillage?)
Turn 242: Looked like a combined artillery and infantry attack, and the city falls.

Total time to conquer city: 34 turns

Analysis:

Much stronger showing from the AI this time. A lot less waiting camped around the city, though there was still lots of stupid wandering through the attack range of the city - there is basically no situation where you would send a scout unit into range of an enemy city, especially if it's already low on health. The Eagle Warrior is worrying - I assume the Aztecs were able to build it due to the change in the patch that allows you to build obsolete units if you lack strategic resources to build their upgrade, but there's no reason the AI should ever choose to build one if it can instead build an infantry unit.

I notice in the first game the Aztecs only had one siege unit near the city, and it basically locked up the entire attack for 50 turns. In the second game they had two siege units and pressed the attack much faster.

Any way to find out what the Aztec civ as a whole was doing on the world stage while this was going on?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

I had a very similar experience a couple days ago and just wrote it off as me accidentally picking Standard or something instead of my usual Tiny/Small.

Is there a way to check my map parameters while ingame?

The map size is recorded in the save files, so you can go to the Load Game screen and check your saves or autosaves.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

They could have lost their initial settler or something.

I just saw Japan get through the entire game without actually founding any more cities despite sitting on three or four settlers. The AI just sat and did nothing until the Romans conquered them about 4 turns before I won the game.

The AI is definitely a bit better at combat now, and I have seen it take cities. Though cliffs seem to confuse it a bit as it sat a bunch of units in the water moving back and forth while I plinked away at them with a city.

I just find it weird that so many of the AIs lost their settler. Heck, I'm not sure *how* an AI would lose their settler since they all go before the barbarians and the very first AI move is to build a city.

It was just weird and empty because everyone got their own continent, and except for Scythia everyone had room on their continent. Though the Vikings seemed more interested in settling on Japan's continent than their own, there was plenty of space left by the end of the game.

On the plus side though, between having lots of space and playing Russia which likes to spread out I had space for a whopping 3 national parks.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Byzantine posted:

I say if there's no takers within a day we should just let the AI have his civs.

Second.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Byzantine posted:

Agreedo, I was wondering why our games had all stalled.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

theres a will theres moe posted:

People are apparently buying the garbage anyway. Why bother making it good when the franchise name is doing all the work.

I'd be fine with this approach if they also provided ample modding tools for their fanbase to fix their games for them. They do not.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah, jeez, they really should add modding tools to the game already.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Playing team game with my wife. It seems we don't share diplomacy friendships, nor do we share techs. Weird.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Vahakyla posted:

Playing team game with my wife. It seems we don't share diplomacy friendships, nor do we share techs. Weird.

So it's still poo poo? Great.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
However now entering an alliancce will share vision between me and my AI buddies, which is nice.

Entering into alliance also made him my wife's ally, so some diplo is shared.

Edir: also you get the boost when youe teammate gets a tech, not the whole tech.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

For people who like focused on building big and awesome cities, and either hate war or just hate-war-because-AI, the Australia scenario is actually pretty awesome.

* No combat, no real competition - the AI plops a few cities down at first to claim some areas, but they don't really do much, so it's entirely on whether you can puzzle out how to build an empire that hits an income threshold.

* No settler building - you get them from certain techs. So it's less about ICS and more about doing the best you can with 8 cities.

* It's 60 turns long, so it's designed to be quick.

* The outline of Australia is the same, but the interior is random each time.

I've been playing it all day, and I'm definitely glad I dropped the :fivebucks: on it. I still haven't won on King difficulty, but I can regularly hit Prince.