Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My loving laptop is suddenly having issues running any CAD software. Which, yanno, kind of important in my major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So I'm probably getting a work truck to drive home soon, which means there's no reason to keep my matrix xrs hanging around.

Been toying with getting a brz/fr-s as a project car, and cheap as possible so I don't mind the possibility that I blow it up.

Anyhow I went looking for the Toyoburu thread and it has fallen into archives, dammit.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
:lol:

"We got the car we asked for, then we forgot about it."

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I still really want one of those Japanese market only poverty spec 86s...

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I still really want one of those Japanese market only poverty spec 86s...

Is this one of those "we know you're going to mod it anyway" type things?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

spog posted:

http://keepass.info/

Not cloud based, so very safe (sync it with dropbox across devices)

because dropbox is not cloud based at all.

I still stick with lastpass. They may store your data on their servers, but it is only decrypted on your local machine. Even when they were compromised, even if they client password data was taken(which it wasn't), it would have been encrypted and assuming you have a secure master password, there is not much to worry about.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

bolind posted:

A little PSA/unsolicited fatherly advice:

If you're not using a password manager, or are on the fence of starting to use one: loving do it.

I used to be the schmuck who had the same password across a number of sites/forums, a slightly more secure but years old password for more important stuff, and then a bunch of variations I could never remember for everything else.

1Password, randomly generated, unique passwords for everything. 2FA for everything Google. It rocks.

I've always found password managers to be a huge pain in the rear end, so to maintain uniqueness I just come up with a phrase like "K3w3lpHRaz3". Then I use that with wherever I'm logging into so

my Amazon password becomes AmaK3w3lpHRaz3zon
and Facebook would be FaceK3w3lpHRaz3book

It's probably not as good as 2FA, but not everything offers that.

mungtor fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 24, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

beep-beep car is go posted:

Is this one of those "we know you're going to mod it anyway" type things?

Exactly that reason, sold for $16k

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Abso-loving-lutely. It blew the mind of my boss a while ago when I showed this to him and he finally shut the gently caress up about having special characters in the goddamn the password policies.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
That comic is a few years old now. I don't follow up with password cracking but it may take less guesses to break passwords. Computers and GPUs have become faster so they may be able to make more guesses in less time.

mungtor posted:

I've always found password managers to be a huge pain in the rear end, so to maintain uniqueness I just come up with a phrase like "K3w3lpHRaz3". Then I use that with wherever I'm logging into so

my Amazon password becomes AmaK3w3lpHRaz3zon
and Facebook would be FaceK3w3lpHRaz3book

It's probably not as good as 2FA, but not everything offers that.

My password managers autofill the username and password fields for me. You really should look into them again. 2FA has nothing to do with having a strong password.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the main advantage of password managers is to ensure that you have strong, unique passwords for each individual site to minimize exposure in the event of a breach. 2FA wont help you much if you use the same password on multiple websites.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
"The PeopleWhoInsistI'mMeantToChangeThisPasswordEveryMonthAreCuntsWhoDon'tUnderstandHowPasswordsWorkAndThinkIt's1982" Is pretty loving strong.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

mariooncrack posted:

That comic is a few years old now. I don't follow up with password cracking but it may take less guesses to break passwords. Computers and GPUs have become faster so they may be able to make more guesses in less time.
Computing power and key breaking has come a long way in the last few years but a long password is still a long password that will take longer to crack.

I really should start using one of those password managers to be more secure. My passwords are long, obscure and stupid thanks to work and customers but they're still somewhat related I guess. I think work recommends lastpass. Should think about using 2FA on more places too I guess.

Thought I'd be on site all day fixing stuff, had everything on my list plus a bunch of other stuff done by lunch time. Went out with the customer for lunch and now I'm back at the hotel. Any Bay Area-ish goons bored or have recommendations? I'm near Stanford University and I know traffic is going to turn to poo poo in a couple hours but I'm not sure if I want to sit at the hotel all night.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Wife is super pissed at me because she couldn't find something that was on the counter in the kitchen where she left it. :haw:

E: she may be slightly pissed at my slightly drunken sarcasm, who knows?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Wife is super pissed at me because she couldn't find something that was on the counter in the kitchen where she left it. :haw:

E: she may be slightly pissed at my slightly drunken sarcasm, who knows?
Courtesy of Imgur:

Please tell me her annoyance is because you did this.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 25, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mariooncrack posted:

Guessing a password is not a computationally limited task. It's literally running through a list of possible passwords as fast as it can. Any sanely designed system should have login rate limiting to easily pick out and stop anyone attempting to brute force a password.

Cracking encryption, like the SHA1 attack, is computationally intensive because you're performing massive computations to find one that provides the equivalent result.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The absolute best way to get someone's password is always going to be social engineering or obtaining a physical record, both of which are assisted massively by corporate policies that dictate you must change it to a new one of a certain character combination/length at regular intervals. People will choose the minimum complexity, and/or write it down somewhere.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

Cracking speeds are significantly faster than they were a few years ago and will be significantly faster in a few years but password length is still king. As an example, we played around with some of the new Titan Xs at work cracking some SPN hashes. If I remember right a dictionary attack with a 1.5 billion word dictionary against 40 some hashes took a couple hours. Trying every letter/number/symbol combination up to like Y characters took a day or two but going to Y+1 made it jump to 'estimated completion: x months' and Y+2 characters put it to 'x years.' More resources will speed things up but with any reasonable encryption format a slight increase in a password length is still an exponential increase in cracking time/resources.

A short sentence, preferably something that doesn't really make sense with a number/symbol thrown in for flavor, is far more likely to be compromised by a flaw in the application or malware than by cracking. Probably shouldn't use something too common like a harry potter book title though.

mariooncrack posted:

My password managers autofill the username and password fields for me. You really should look into them again. 2FA has nothing to do with having a strong password.
Yeah, I only have to type in my LAN account. The other 50+ passwords I have get auto typed by keepass and since I never have to type them in they can be as long as the system allows and every application and piece of infrastructure gets a different password. Changing the passwords is really quick too.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Guessing a password is not a computationally limited task. It's literally running through a list of possible passwords as fast as it can. Any sanely designed system should have login rate limiting to easily pick out and stop anyone attempting to brute force a password.

Cracking encryption, like the SHA1 attack, is computationally intensive because you're performing massive computations to find one that provides the equivalent result.

Brute force logins against an application should never really be successful (trying the same couple passwords against a list of accounts is often successful though) but dumping hashes and cracking those offline is very common.

Galler fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 25, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BigPaddy posted:

Probably going to be joining the landed gentry within the next year and was wondering if anyone had experience with snow plows on trucks. Rather than paying someone to plow the driveway and what not since I will probably be getting something on a fairly large lot to store all my unfinished AI projects I was going to get a old truck and a plow and just do it myself. The question is that will the thing just disintegrate in a winter of hard use and salt and I should just get someone to come do it? Of course there is the fact that being Mr Plow sounds amusing but if the thing is going to cost a ton and then just fall apart either causing me to junk it and get another or fix it then I might as well get heated radiant tiles for the driveway and paths and be super lazy.

I had a plow on a CJ-7. I never used it but I'm sure the person before me did and it was still a good car and good plow despite being 10 years old.

Dad had a plow on a late 70s Chevy 4x4 and it fell apart after 5 years or so (the truck, not the plow) so he put the plow on his Toyota and used it for another 7 years or something. I think he actually did just replace the plow but it was 12+ years old at that point and got a hell of a lot of use (7800' in Colorado).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

slurry_curry posted:

because dropbox is not cloud based at all.

I still stick with lastpass. They may store your data on their servers, but it is only decrypted on your local machine. Even when they were compromised, even if they client password data was taken(which it wasn't), it would have been encrypted and assuming you have a secure master password, there is not much to worry about.

Sorry, I should have clarified: the advantage of Keepass is that you don't have to upload the database anywhere: you can run if off a USB flashdrive on an air-gapped laptop in your concrete bunker.

If you are slightly less paranoid/careful, you can still share access to it across multiple devices by putting the database in the cloud. Bad Guys then have to compromise both your cloud service and then the keypass encryption.

Realistically, these are both a little OTT for most people.

One thing I do like is that if you are somewhere where you don't trust the internet access, you can run it offline: e.g. when travelling overseas, I have unlocked the local copy of the database on my phone and then retrieved a low value password (e.g. gmail) for accessing a service without unlocking a high value password (e.g. bank account)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
AI: redneck YOSPOS

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you equip an F-150 Lariat to be equivalent (in everything other than Raptorness) to the nearly loaded 68k dollar Raptors that are practically all you see, it's about 56k. But then you have to factor in that it's easy to get 6k off a Lariat and hard to get a Raptor for less than 5k over the Raptor MSRP, and the price difference effectively goes from 12k to 23k.

In other words I'm starting to think about getting an F-150 and putting a 6" lift on it instead of getting a Raptor.

Rebates are pretty lovely on 2017 F-150s right now though so I should probably wait a while.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The 2018 is a facelift and mechanical upgrade, once those hit, 2017s should get much cheaper.

A guy just around the block here got a grey raptor and it really is an amazing vehicle. probably the most imposing vehicle you can get for that price, and with their insane resale value, you could probably drive it for 3 years nearly free if you fight hard enough to buy it close to sticker.

There are a couple hundred 2014s for sale on cars.com for $50k.

in 5 years, a $52k raptor will still be well over $40k, a $45k lariat will be $25k.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

AI: redneck YOSPOS

Where "redneck" = "dumber and smarter."

Btw: I use roboform, which has been secure to this point.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

spog posted:

If you are slightly less paranoid/careful, you can still share access to it across multiple devices by putting the database in the cloud. Bad Guys then have to compromise both your cloud service and then the keypass encryption.

Throw your database file into an encrypted file container that uses a medium strength password & keyfile, then throw the container file on your cloud service and carry the keyfile with you. Then even if someone knows your password they still won't be able to open the encrypted container without the keyfile, which can be anything that doesn't get modified regularly - like, say, a random picture on your smartphone.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Good god i almost crashed
Rain + no weight on back wheels (single cab hilux) + oldish, narrow tires + 2muchdieseltorque means a pretty dramatic slide in a roundabout. Managed to salvage it thru countersteer and steady throttle but not sure.
Can someone tell me proper procedure in that case so I can see if I lucked out or salvaged it like a dumbass

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

the main advantage of password managers is to ensure that you have strong, unique passwords for each individual site to minimize exposure in the event of a breach. 2FA wont help you much if you use the same password on multiple websites.

Maybe its just me, but please explain how requiring me to enter a 8 digit, time based code is not relevant to account security at an individual level. Even if 1 factor is common, unless the underlying algorithm has been broken it's really not an issue. IMO, that's government or corporate level effort, and it's very unlikely that anybody cares enough about you specifically to make it worth the effort.

My post was about how you could create unique passwords, with completely different hashes, easily and without entrusting any third party to manage your information for you. It's easy, and you never have to commit your info to any third party.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Good god i almost crashed
Rain + no weight on back wheels (single cab hilux) + oldish, narrow tires + 2muchdieseltorque means a pretty dramatic slide in a roundabout. Managed to salvage it thru countersteer and steady throttle but not sure.
Can someone tell me proper procedure in that case so I can see if I lucked out or salvaged it like a dumbass

Never lift, countersteer, hektik skid, hold your beer out the open window.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Seminal Flu posted:

Where "redneck" = "dumber and smarter."

Btw: I use roboform, which has been secure to this point.

lol welcome to redneck boo

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Password managers? No thanks. I wont trust any of them and I use passphrases anyway if I cant use two factor.

*IF* I have a password list, I'll guarenttee it will make no sense to anyone. IF. Because I've been a SysAdmin so long not writing down anything that looks like a passcode has long been ingrained.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Powershift posted:

The 2018 is a facelift and mechanical upgrade, once those hit, 2017s should get much cheaper.

Is there a mechanical change? I knew about the facelift but figured any major mechanical changes already happened since the 3.5 was redesigned this year and they went from the 6 speed to the 10 speed.

quote:

A guy just around the block here got a grey raptor and it really is an amazing vehicle. probably the most imposing vehicle you can get for that price, and with their insane resale value, you could probably drive it for 3 years nearly free if you fight hard enough to buy it close to sticker.

There are a couple hundred 2014s for sale on cars.com for $50k.

in 5 years, a $52k raptor will still be well over $40k, a $45k lariat will be $25k.

Yeah resale is something I've considered heavily and that was what put me back in the Raptor camp a while ago but there's some other things to consider:

1. There's basically no such thing as a 52k Raptor right now. I don't think many dealerships would even let you order one because they have no trouble selling the 68k Raptors which = more profit.
2. There's no doubt that Raptors have (and will continue to have) above average resale but some of it is definitely the fact that they didn't make any for 2015 or 2016 which has propped up the values for the older ones. I expect those numbers will come down relatively hard as 2017s become more acquirable. I know the two used ones for sale locally have dropped their price 5-7k over the last few months.
3. Five year old cloth seat no option Raptors (the kind you could theoretically get for 52k now) aren't gonna sell for 45k. And a lot of asking prices just aren't realistic anyway.
4. The Raptor just isn't as good of a deal as it used to be. The as tested price of a 2012 Crew cab Raptor by MT was 54k but a similar truck (lux package plus graphics but nothing else) is now 64,500 and as is normally optioned for dealer lots is really 67k-70k.

I haven't really made up my mind yet. Whatever I get isn't going to be a daily driver (at most it'll be a semi daily driver but mostly a weekend toy) and the plan would be to keep it forever so resale isn't a huge issue.

You can't beat the indisputable badassedness of a Raptor. Also the better resale.

Whatever I get will go offroad all the time but I doubt I'll be doing rear end out 70 mph runs down fire roads. More like 5 mph runs up crappy old mining roads, and in that regard a lifted regular 150 would be as good or better than the Raptor.

This is also going to be the family luxo-barge. The thing that goes on road trips and gets used to cart people around when friends and family visit. Like I'd love to talk my gf into buying a 7 series for her next car but there's no way that will ever happen (because she's cheap as gently caress) so a 150 with some crazy luxo options will be my redneck 7 series plus can go offroad plus has a bed. And in that regard (the luxo options), a non Raptor can be better than a Raptor. I definitely drool over the leather in the Limited F-150.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
The last page about ~*cloud*~ is way better with my cloud to butt Chrome extension.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

scrubs season six posted:

Is there a mechanical change? I knew about the facelift but figured any major mechanical changes already happened since the 3.5 was redesigned this year and they went from the 6 speed to the 10 speed.

The 3.5 is the same, i believe, but the 2.7 adds port injection to it's direct injection, and the 5.0 adds direct injection to it's port injection, and both get the 10 speed.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

DJ Commie posted:

The last page about ~*butt*~ is way better with my butt to butt Chrome extension.

Vendor lies are a lot more fun when they're constantly talking about their butts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

The absolute best way to get someone's password is always going to be social engineering or obtaining a physical record, both of which are assisted massively by corporate policies that dictate you must change it to a new one of a certain character combination/length at regular intervals. People will choose the minimum complexity, and/or write it down somewhere.

a fake official-looking maintenance/security uniform and brass balls still trumps almost all physical security, and rubber hose cryptanalysis* still trumps all password based security.

* "take him out back and hit him with this rubber hose until he tells us his password"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvGfuLlZus

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Three hours of cleaning in the shop ...and you can't tell I've done anything. Ugh.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Thoughts on Phoenix. The weather is delightful. I left sleet this morning at like 23 degrees. I was wearing shorts and a hoodie to the airport (no care).
The freeway system is impressive. It's just beautiful ribbons of well maintained pavement all over. Not being a native I would get nowhere without the power of google maps. There are pockets of "oh drat that's busy" but it was pretty much always moving.
Arizona drivers are very well mannered. They all queue up nicely and they prepare for their exits early. They appear to let people in where they need to be. No egregious speeding either (that I witnessed). They are vastly superior to Salt Lake drivers.

I'm driving a brand new corolla. It had 81 miles on it. I think it has a CVT (with paddle shifters wat why) It does everything you want a car to do. Seats are reasonable and well adjustable. The tech is surprisingly good (active lane assist, say what?). Stereo is decent, hands free calling is good. Getting like 35-40mpg.

It is everything you want out of a car. It is so incredibly dull. I have seen a Tesla model S that was painted wrapped? in a mirror blue chrome and it looked good. I saw an E92 M3, F82 M4, a 996 twin turbo, and a bitchin GTO with one of those copper historic license plates. So far that's the excitement.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Powershift posted:

The 3.5 is the same, i believe, but the 2.7 adds port injection to it's direct injection, and the 5.0 adds direct injection to it's port injection, and both get the 10 speed.

Makes sense, I wondered if the 5.0 was going to get the 10 speed.

Despite being a Mustang fan/owner I'm not really sure whether I'd prefer the 5.0 vs the 3.5. I do like turbos and I already have a V8...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Thoughts on Phoenix. The weather is delightful. I left sleet this morning at like 23 degrees. I was wearing shorts and a hoodie to the airport (no care).
The freeway system is impressive. It's just beautiful ribbons of well maintained pavement all over. Not being a native I would get nowhere without the power of google maps. There are pockets of "oh drat that's busy" but it was pretty much always moving.
Arizona drivers are very well mannered. They all queue up nicely and they prepare for their exits early. They appear to let people in where they need to be. No egregious speeding either (that I witnessed). They are vastly superior to Salt Lake drivers.

I'm driving a brand new corolla. It had 81 miles on it. I think it has a CVT (with paddle shifters wat why) It does everything you want a car to do. Seats are reasonable and well adjustable. The tech is surprisingly good (active lane assist, say what?). Stereo is decent, hands free calling is good. Getting like 35-40mpg.

It is everything you want out of a car. It is so incredibly dull. I have seen a Tesla model S that was painted wrapped? in a mirror blue chrome and it looked good. I saw an E92 M3, F82 M4, a 996 twin turbo, and a bitchin GTO with one of those copper historic license plates. So far that's the excitement.

Funny, my gf lived in Phoenix for ~5 years and I'm not sure she'd be as complimentary about the transportation situation there. But more funny just an hour ago we were talking about moving to SLC (from Reno) due to a job opportunity so if you have any general insights on that I'd be interested. I did a six week field course out of Park City and we went through/by SLC quite a few times so I'm somewhat familiar with the temps (about the same in the summer, cooler in the winter) and inversions that are (expectedly) far shittier than Reno.

Surprised to hear about active lane assist on a Corolla.

• Locked thread