Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I figure I'll start up the regular password app argument again. My LastPass sub is almost up but both Dashlane and 1Password are sub based now. (Not interested in standalone syncing 1P).

Anyone have a sub to either and your thought, both for iOS and general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

EconOutlines posted:

I figure I'll start up the regular password app argument again. My LastPass sub is almost up but both Dashlane and 1Password are sub based now. (Not interested in standalone syncing 1P).

Anyone have a sub to either and your thought, both for iOS and general?

I had to search around because there's no link to it on the AgileBits page itself, but it appears they're still selling licenses outright for 1Password.

https://agilebits.com/store

I've had it for years now and it doesn't seem that they're pushing me into subscriptions.

https://support.1password.com/why-account/#i-already-own-a-1password-license-do-i-need-to-upgrade-to-a-1password-account

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 24, 2017

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I had to search around because there's no link to it on the AgileBits page itself, but it appears they're still selling licenses outright for 1Password.

https://agilebits.com/store

I've had it for years now and it doesn't seem that they're pushing me into subscriptions.
And even then if you don't pay for the licence you just get a nag screen when launching the desktop software and you have to use the app to create over whatever amount of logins.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Seems like if you go without the 1Password Account stuff you only miss out on their sync service (I use Dropbox to house my DB so that my Windows machine can access it, otherwise you could stick with iCloud), 1GB of cloud storage(:lol:) and a year's worth of DB backups instead of 6 months.

Edit: Ah, there's also Account Key for an extra layer of security.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 25, 2017

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Dropbox sync reliable for those who use it?

I'm hesitant to add more 'moving parts' vs having something integrated. Seems like they have a month free trial for the sub, so I'll try that out as well.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

EconOutlines posted:

I'm hesitant to add more 'moving parts' vs having something integrated. Seems like they have a month free trial for the sub, so I'll try that out as well.

I've used it in tandem with 1Password for years. Never had a problem.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

EconOutlines posted:

Incredibly reliable on iOS devices.

Incredibly reliable on Macs.

Version 4 of the Windows client requires you to have DropBox installed. It is hella reliable, but really ugly and outdated.

Version 6 of the Windows client doesn't need DropBox installed. It looks pretty and works fine, but is missing major features of the version 4 client, and it also doesn't seem to sync automatically very well.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Stock iOS keyboard is lighyears ahead of 99% of Android garbage. Third party keyboards are still buggy as poo poo on iOS.

Microsoft's Word Flow keyboard is really good. I'll never go back to the Apple one or Swiftkey.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I've used it in tandem with 1Password for years. Never had a problem.

Seconded, I have no problem with it on my Mac, iOS, and Window machines.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Are there any reasons you guys use third party keyboards other than the swipe to type thing?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
GBoard's built in Google search was the first reason I tried it. It's novel, I use it like once a week. The swipey thing is what keeps me using the keyboard overall though.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Swiping on gBoard is pretty great, and I was never a fan of it in the past.

One of the things I like about it, specifically, is that I know I can type a word like "ghost" and the ghost emoji comes up as a suggestion. You can also switch to the emoji portion of the keyboard and search using specific keywords and it surfaces way more emoji than the lovely integration of the stock keyboard that makes you replace words you've already typed.

It's also nice to be able to search for a GIF and send it in chat without having to go to a web browser or whatever.

Lastly, I was texting with a friend who mentioned some actor's name and I forgot who he was referencing, and I just used the built-in image search to remind myself what they looked like. Really neat to have so much functionality without having to leave the Messages app.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Are there any reasons you guys use third party keyboards other than the swipe to type thing?

It eases the transition from an Android phone. I just switched to iOS, and not having to learn a new keyboard layout is a huge convenience. It's so simple, but after years of Android I can't get the hang of typing without a punctuation key on the main keyboard screen. I just wish Gboard copied over the "hold the top row of letters to input numbers" feature.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

bobfather posted:

Version 6 of the Windows client doesn't need DropBox installed. It looks pretty and works fine, but is missing major features of the version 4 client, and it also doesn't seem to sync automatically very well.

Ok so it's definitely not just me then who's having sync issues. Is there a fix for it?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

keevo posted:

Ok so it's definitely not just me then who's having sync issues. Is there a fix for it?

It's beta, so who knows? I've just gotten used to doing a manual sync anytime I unlock it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

One of the things I like about it, specifically, is that I know I can type a word like "ghost" and the ghost emoji comes up as a suggestion.
The stock keyboard does this, too.

I use Word Flow fwiw.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

The stock keyboard does this, too.

No it does not.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It does on my phone in the Message app.

:iiam:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It absolutely does show a ghost if you search ghost.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I like that Swiftkey can have two languages active at the same time. A lot of my messages are a combination of Dutch and English words (movie / song titles)

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It also does it for me in Tweetbot and Facebook apps— but not in the Awful app.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Turambar posted:

I like that Swiftkey can have two languages active at the same time. A lot of my messages are a combination of Dutch and English words (movie / song titles)

The stock keyboard does this too since iOS 10. Now my life is complete. Suck it 3rd party keyboardailures.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I just want swipe on the stock keyboard c'mon apple

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It absolutely does show a ghost if you search ghost.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It shows up for you guys as one of those three suggested words when you're typing? I admittedly haven't used stock in a very long time (pretty much since gBoard was launched) so I could very well be wrong. But as I showed in my example, it's not coming up for me.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

It shows up for you guys as one of those three suggested words when you're typing? I admittedly haven't used stock in a very long time (pretty much since gBoard was launched) so I could very well be wrong. But as I showed in my example, it's not coming up for me.

It was a new feature of iOS 10, and it's working fine for me.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It is possible to disable the emoji keyboard through settings/general/keyboard. If it's disabled, obviously the suggestions won't show up. But you wouldn't get the emoji button on the bottom left, either.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

It shows up for you guys as one of those three suggested words when you're typing?

Yep

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

ShoogaSlim posted:

It shows up for you guys as one of those three suggested words when you're typing?

yes.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It is possible to disable the emoji keyboard through settings/general/keyboard. If it's disabled, obviously the suggestions won't show up. But you wouldn't get the emoji button on the bottom left, either.

This makes sense. I have the emoji keyboard disabled since they're all included in gBoard anyway. I just really like that I have all the functionality I could want in one keyboard. To each their own.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Does for me and does it for a ton of random stuff.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Works for me on the standard KB. Chiming in to say however that I really like the new gboard and I'll be sticking with it for the foreseeable future. It's not janky like old ios kbs were. The new dictation is a tiny bit jarring but you get used to it quickly.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sounds like I should hold onto my non-updated version of Overcast?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

Nah it's fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nothing wrong with 3.0 at all unless you are completely resistant to minor UI changes that are vastly better for discoverability.

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Nope, the new version is pretty good, the only minor gripe that I have is that selecting a podcast to play takes two taps now, but otherwise the updates are fine.

I found it helpful to read Marco's blog explaining the changes in the new version:
https://marco.org/2017/02/20/overcast3

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

londonmoose posted:

Nope, the new version is pretty good, the only minor gripe that I have is that selecting a podcast to play takes two taps now, but otherwise the updates are fine.

When I read about that, I didn't think it sounded like a big deal, but it's amazing how annoying it is. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
im liking castro more now

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

im liking castro more now

i like castro because it fits my listening style a lot better. i can subscribe to a bunch of poo poo and just archive most of the episodes and only listen the ones i actually care about way easier with it than with overcast.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Endless Mike posted:

Nothing wrong with 3.0 at all unless you are completely resistant to minor UI changes that are vastly better for discoverability.

Discoverability is all well and good but it's of no benefit to someone who is already a [power] user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm happy for the two taps, I was accidentally starting podcasts too often when doing just about anything like trying to read the info.