Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Uhh...this was kind of a mess. Like, I've really enjoyed Tri until now, but this was just very poorly paced overall.

Piyomon's bitchy attitude should've been solved earlier. As it is, the last part of the movie was insanely rushed because they had to get Piyomon and Patamon evolving, plus apparently Tentomon as well because HerakleKabuterimon didn't get a fight last time. And this meant nine evolution scenes. Which was beyond unneccesary and got really tiring. In Tri 2, it felt triumphant, something happened between each evolution footage so at least they had a point. Here it was all rushed. What was the point of showing Garudamon and HolyAngemon's footage? None, they didn't do poo poo, they just went and evolved again. What was the point of having every single Tentomon evolution when all were seen last movie? WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon evolved offscreen!

The whole fight was very rushed too. MetalSeadramon's was fine, it showed some really neat coordination between Taichi and Yamato, and even ended MetalSeadramon with the same move that finished him in Adventure. Mugendramon's felt pointless, because I was tired already of the unending stock footage and the Digimon really didn't do anything interesting. Hell, Seraphimon didn't even get an attack call. Really, that evolution should've happened last movie, there was no point in having it here, where the Takeru focus was near-zero.

I did enjoy finally seeing the old Chosen Children though, as well as Himekawa's yandere moment with Bakumon. Seems she really didn't understand what she was doing. We also have more knowledge of what's going on now...sort of. It's really confusing and we're clearly lacking pieces of the puzzle, but at least we know Yggdrasil is behind everything, and Gennai is now evil for some reason. Also, I find it hilarious how he complains that humans enslaved Digimon, but he's doing the same through Meicoomon's infection and whatever he did to the Dark Masters, the red eyes and lack of personalities clearly show they were not in control of themselves. Mugendramon in Adventure was far too intelligent to fall for Koshiro's dumb plan.

I hope this is just a weak movie because of plot needs and not a jumping the shark moment. Next movie only needs one evolution, so I dearly hope it'll go better. I won't say I didn't enjoy this one, because it had some good moments, but it was overall the weakest of the Tri movies until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

I pegged Alphamon as a good guy from when we first met him.

I still have to wonder...

Could this be Apocalymon returning? If the original five DigiDestined become important, which might include the FBI lady considering all the crazy poo poo she seems to be steeped in, they were said to have defeated him in the past. Then the current group defeated him in their adventure. Could he be making a push for revival again? The Dark Masters were his creations after all, and Machinedramon is lurking for the next movie... I don't know where that would put Jesmon though, unless he's some how the Digimon of FBI lady or another of the Five

Well

I was apparently right about something

At what cost oh God

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The first half is really strong and plays well with its premise. I'd say the Biyomon story was neat overall but the backhalf has some dire pacing issues, the three full adult-to-mega sequences in a row tank the entire OVA's pacing, by the time it was over I: a) no longer cared for the fight and wanted it to end, b) was more annoyed that the gang left Meiko alone than anything else, and c) for the first time in my life I thought "They better not keep playing Brave Heart". The first two are a failure of the show, the third is just straight up a loving war crime.

I really dig that the kids have to deal with rebonding with their Digimon, and the lore of the five original chosen children (who on top also lead to the 4 gods ones) plus Ygdrasil and the new homeosis lore, pretty good stuff, but the pacing just tanks the latter half and Meiko's side of things felt super unsatisfying.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It doesn't help that Crunchyroll keeps chopping things up into "episodes", instead of airing it as a film. Cutting to an ED just wrecks the pacing even more.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

We have the poster for part 5, "Symbiosis", and:

That's Ofanimon and Meicoomon's Ultimate form.

But not normal Ofanimon.

It's Ofanimon FALLDOWN MODE.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 25, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I noticed when I saw the first one in theaters that the movie really flows a lot better without those, I have no idea why Crunchyroll insists on trying to break it up into episodes when it's not made with that in mind.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Roth posted:

I noticed when I saw the first one in theaters that the movie really flows a lot better without those, I have no idea why Crunchyroll insists on trying to break it up into episodes when it's not made with that in mind.

I don't think it's Crunchyroll that does it. If they were, I wouldn't expect opening and ending sequences, or the episodes themselves being numbered in-series.

I think it's from the Japanese side, so Tri can later be shown as a weekly TV show without any extra effort. It does hurt the pacing though, but honestly, this one would've had bad pacing either way.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They've put Tri. on streaming sites in Japan, and have otherwise never shown them in pieces like CR does.

I don't think CR is the one cutting them themselves but I'm pretty sure that Toei is preparing them this way for CR's method of airing stuff.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Also, most of the Opening is just stock footage with cool vfx, it took a couple of hours to build at most.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

the three full adult-to-mega sequences in a row tank the entire OVA's pacing, by the time it was over I: a) no longer cared for the fight and wanted it to end, b) was more annoyed that the gang left Meiko alone than anything else, and c) for the first time in my life I thought "They better not keep playing Brave Heart". The first two are a failure of the show, the third is just straight up a loving war crime.

I timed it. Brave Heart went for 7:09 during that fight.

I like the evolution sequences (odd CG aside), but they really need to make a shortened version and have the full sequences as an extra/omake.

Edit: Huh, the digimon don't have those 2s in their code anymore. I guess the reset worked and they're back to their uncorrupted binary selves again.

no go on Quiznos fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 25, 2017

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Man, this set of episodes didn't feel as much as a complete package as the previous ones.

Still, I love Himekawa's backstory and I loved Tai and Matt, partners in buffoonery.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

no go on Quiznos posted:

Edit: Huh, the digimon don't have those 2s in their code anymore. I guess the reset worked and they're back to their uncorrupted binary selves again.

Oh good; I thought I saw that, but I didn't want to rewatch to double check.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I love this summary

quote:

Confirmed for more Royal Knights/Yggdrasil bullshit for the 10000th time

Gennai confirmed for actually close to raping Sora and Meiko. Nigga licked Sora's face sexually.

Joe confirmed for line-backer.

Taichi and Yamato confirmed for spaghetti, they were actually going to ask a middle schooler for advice on women.

Sora confirmed for having an adamantium spine.

Digimon Adventure confirmed for throwing the old show's evolution methods out the window.

02 cast still confirmed to be hosed

:haw:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

We have the poster for part 5, "Symbiosis", and:

That's Ofanimon and Meicoomon's Ultimate form.

But not normal Ofanimon.

It's Ofanimon FALLDOWN MODE.

Wow I'm batting a thousand on guessing what's going to happen with Tri.

This is not going to go well is it.

I wish Apocalymon was the villain...

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Better pic

https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/835380631609741313

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
We're not going to see the 02 kids at all, are we?
I expect their defeat at the start of Tri will be forgotten.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

We just tied a big part of 02 lore to deepest adventure lore and explained away the wtf stuff from one of them. I dont expect them having a big role per se, but thheir defeat will deffo be looked at in the final movie and they'll get a fight scene.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Jeeeeeze...I wasn't hot on Tri when it first landed, but parts 2 and 3 slowly won me over. This latest one is just...a really big mess.

Sora and Biyomon's conflict was dragged out and really out of character. I tried to appreciate it as an inversion of their original conflict at the start of Adventure, but it was thrice as long and wasn't charming at all. The fight with Machinedramon was an anticlimax because of all the transformations, and I couldn't see past all the Digimon evolving en masse to Mega less than a day after achieving Rookie for the first time. I kept hoping they wouldn't roll back the memory loss, but that at least then the evolution spam would've made more sense.

A lot of things kept happening with no good explanation, like the kids surviving Machinedramon's attack at the beginning and the distortion portals showing up at the end. It came off like a cheap excuse to separate the cast. After that, it felt like the time it wasn't spending trying to eke drama out of Sora and Biyomon, it was trying to get these cursory nostalgia grabs over File Island, which didn't work because none of it meant anything and the kids just came back together again for the climax. TK hurt his leg in Primary Village so Elekmon could fix it, then the portals show up and none of that was ever mentioned again. Patamon not being with him just made it worse when he became Seraphimon, because the movie didn't do anything to earn it.

Best part of the movie was Wargreymon and Metalgarurumon warping in and wrecking Metalseadramon almost the same way they did in Adventure.

I hate for my first post in the Digimon thread to be a lot of bitching, but man. I really didn't feel this one.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

spoilers for Applimonsters for all of the two people who still care:

- Yujin will become(?) an Applidriver in April, with Offmon as his Buddy.
- He will have an upgraded Applidrive called the Applidrive DUO, which the other characters will receive in June.
- Offmon's Ultimate form, Shutmon, will have four forms(?)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yuujin being an Applidriver was foreshadowed really hard so that's not a surprise. Offmon being his partner is honestly more surprising, since On and Offmon seemed to be entirely made for the 3DS game. Then again, the 3DS game spoiled a lot of stuff for the anime far before it actually happened in it (such as the Ultimate and even God forms), so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

The Digivice upgrade is a Digimon tradition and thus is similarly unsurprising, although Xros Wars didn't have it, but it seems that was the only exception.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Xros Loader having no upgrade is likely due to the fact it tanked hard. Of all the digimon devices it was the lowest selling.

So the Applidrive managing to justify an upgraded form means it's likely selling well enough, which is good for the show.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Well...what a mess

The main problem with this OVA was that they couldn't decide what they wanted to be. A mature Digimon focusing on the Digimon losing their memories and how they reconnect to their partners? A Michael Bay's Digimon with cool big rear end monsters fighting against each other for no reason at all?

In one scene they are bonding with each other - then OMG Mugendramon blasts them to smithereens because they can't digivolve to adult - except not they get separated across the Digi World... and I guess Meiko was there too? They start learning about their partners by interacting with the other Digidestined but - FIGHT TIME AGAIN everyone gets teleported to the current crisis zone ala Power Rangers and now it's ok for everyone to digivolve "Can I fight too, Takeru?" "Sure, I hurt my leg but now it's healed, that means you can now get a Mega" "Koshiro-han I didn't get to call out my attack last movie, can I go Mega please?" "That's a valid point, sure" "Palmon you could have joined them there were still 2 loops left on the Brave Heart theme" and then Gennai "I'm Dressed as a Sith so That Means I Now Have Sith Powers" gets Meiko because everyone left her alone and then Meicoomon goes Ultimate...and then it ends?

Do animes have test screening?

Because if they have I'm calling bullshit on no one standing up during the screening and pointing out how bullshit the Mugendramon ramming Sora against a wall scene is

I mean really, I feel like a Dragon Ball fan discussing power levels here. I was ok with Ikkakumon and Togemon surviving Imperialdramon's attack since the Chosen Digimon have been shown to be stronger than their current level, so at Champion they have around the same power as a regular Ultimate making it possible for them to survive an attack , but Gabumon being able to deflect Mugendramon's attack? And Plotmon being able to stun him?

The only part I really liked was the opening flashback sequence though what was the points of combining all 4 attacks into Megadramon if he was just gonna explode and the attack continue on it's way? When you do an "All Your Powers Combined" it should look as if Megadramon absorbed all the attacks and redirected them as a new force and ended up dieing of the strain, not a case of friendly fire being turned on

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

We just tied a big part of 02 lore to deepest adventure lore and explained away the wtf stuff from one of them. I dont expect them having a big role per se, but thheir defeat will deffo be looked at in the final movie and they'll get a fight scene.

Haven't gotten to the movie yet, did they finally explain what the Dark Ocean poo poo was?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No, they go into the original five Chosen and where the Holy Beasts came from.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I keep forgetting to bitch about this, but evil gennai just sucks. "Oooooh, i'm evil and Slightly Demented! Look at me lick, say things are fun or interesting, and just be Slightly Edgy!!"

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

lezard_valeth posted:

Well...what a mess

And Plotmon being able to stun him?

I'll chalk that up as Puppy Howling's ability. Holy Digimon get weird poo poo.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

all of the Child digimon were oddly powerful in this movie. They brought it up enough that it seemed like a plot point.

EDIT - also, Puppy Howling specifically paralyzes its targets.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was watching with fellow goon Seer, and kept making jokes about wondering if Salamon or Gomamon was going to be the most useless Rookie level Digimon.

That one attack answered that question!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The most useless was Tentomon, who never attacks before evolving in the entire movie.

Gomamon was part of Gennai's epic beat down.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

The most useless was Tentomon, who never attacks before evolving in the entire movie.

Gomamon was part of Gennai's epic beat down.

I mean in general.

Gomamon, I love you man, but you just are not the most useful Rookie in the world. Thank God for Zudomon.

Also one thing I will say

Them being able to go Mega level still is not a plot hole. Remember, that power was NEVER the Digimons. That was always part of the kids. That's the whole reason why they were chosen. So long as they reforged their bonds with their Digimon, they should be able to Digivolve them just the same.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I feel like most media just doesn't use Gomamon's abilities to their full potential.

Have him sumnmon a shark once.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure a shark would be that useful compared to flame throwers and explosions.

Though I digress, Gomamon is great and I love him. Just, man, Zudomon makes up for a lot of poo poo.

Also something I realized- these couldn't have been the Dark Masters but revived, even beyond the fact that they had no personalities. They were simply too weak. The fun irony of the original 5 Digidestined is that, ultimately, they failed. They failed to save the world, and as we would later learn, the Four Holy Beasts failed to stop the Dark Masters entirely.

It's kind of really sad, but there's just not a lot to be done about that. But the Dark Masters were just stronger.

While even full power Machinedramon would have been slaughtered by all of that overkill, he would have stood a better chance against just Phoenixmon. Dude was pretty nightmareish, even though War Greymon had the gear to take him down it still took a possessed Kari giving him a power boost to finish the job.

The Machinedramon we see here just doesn't seem to have that same kind of power and ability. Nor does Metal Seadramon, who just got totally clowned by what were effectively freshly evolved Mega levels. While I hold that them being able to DO that isn't a plot hole, that's just the kids natural power, the Digimon themselves were not used to that power which is why they went back to in training.

So whatever Gennai is doing to get these guys, they're clearly not as powerful as the real deals. This would also apply to Imperialdramon in theory.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wouldn't put much stock into Tri being too consistent with power levels. Child levels were dancing around attacks that should have killed them in parts 2 and 3. It's just kind of generalized across the board.

I do think that some of their attacks being stronger in those forms is a potential plot point but I don't think the whole thing goes too deep.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The Dark Masters aren't as strong because they aren't as prominent because they're not actually the villains here they're just cogs in the evil machine.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Tri is more about the kids and their growth rather than the digimon, so it doesn't bother me too much that the power scaling seems a bit off. The 2 "dark masters" in this one are, like you guys mentioned, clearly not the originals and it seemed to me like the kids could tell judging by how they fought them.

Anyway, while I echo the lp union that this movie was the weakest of the 4, I still enjoyed it. Coming off of how great 3 was, it's a bit disappointing though. Nothing about the actual plot points bothered me, but it really felt like they wanted the movie to be several different things and it fell kind of flat as all of them.

The evolutions to mega seemed a bit underwhelming. Sora's made sense but There really wasn't much impact. And while it was good to see HerculesKabuterimon fight properly Seraphimon was bullshit. It's didn't bother me too much that he could evolve (almost all of last movie was the build up to that) but there was no fanfare for it. He just evolved and no one really cared. Unlike his previous forms, he just kind of was there as another normal digimon. At least the next movie will presumably have build up to Ophanimon/Holydramon.

As an aside, I actually really hope the digimon get their memories back at the end of the series, but no sooner. The tone of Tri is great but it really shouldn't have such a bittersweet ending for the partners. Tri is about the kids growing into adults and facing the bleakness and harsh realities that come with that, but the partners' experiences shouldn't remain completely erased.

My last thought: Meicoomon really got the shaft with her evolutions. I love meicoomon's design. Maine Coons are rad. But I really don't like Meicrackmon or the mega form that's on the poster for Symbiosis.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-QhiAc5n14

This is actually not a terrible list. They manage to put in something from each season at least instead of just overloading it with stuff from Adventure.

Someone get these people a pronunciation guide though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
die linguistic prescriptivist

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Heh, Angewoman.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Aag-umon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I wish I had a Digimon IPA reference chart at times. I'm pretty sure I pronounce a lot of Digimon names in an incorrect fashion due to growing up with the Latin-American dub. Is Myotismon supposed to be pronounced that way? Here it was Mee-oh-tees-mon.