Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Arena is beginning to get pretty frustrating for me. I mean, I have 5* max Hector and Nowi, I should be able to win SOMETIMES I'd think. But I can't even consistently beat beginner matches with them.

Are you letting the enemy come to you? Hector and Nowi are both insane counterpunchers as long as you keep them away from their weaknesses. Hector fears swordlords (especially Lucina). Nowi fears falchions and Julia. Both can have trouble with ranged heavy compositions in bad terrain.

So you need to bring something that's mobile and capable of preventing Lucina from one shotting your entire team. Catria is ideal, but if you don't have her a 5* Sharena will do well. Use Olivia in the last slot, unless you have Kagero or Takumi.

Take advantage of the AI's homicidal aggression by positioning your guys such that enemy units are forced to attack into bad matchups. Make enemy Takumis, Robins, Kageros, and Julias impale themselves on Hector. Use Sharena/Catria to deal with Lucina and Marth. Feed pretty much everything else to Nowi. Then mop up on your turn.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

What's this about skill inheritance?

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

tithin posted:

What's this about skill inheritance?

Feed yr units to other units to make murder mutants.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Philip Rivers posted:

Feed yr units to other units to make murder mutants.

I thought we could only merge same units into themselves

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

tithin posted:

It's not out yet and we don't really know any details except the basic premise, which is smashing units so you can equip their skills on other units.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

tithin posted:

Currently, yes, but it's assumed that when skill inheritance is added it'll involve feeding a unit to a different unit.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It is time to create the ultimate tanky murderhobo

I want to make queen effie, how do I do this, what do I give her.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

We don't really know how it'll work but my assumption is that at the very least you'll be able to give ABC skills to units with the same weapon type. So think about spear skills. Subaki has Quick Riposte and that would probably be pretty gross since Armads is QR on a stick.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Philip Rivers posted:

We don't really know how it'll work but my assumption is that at the very least you'll be able to give ABC skills to units with the same weapon type. So think about spear skills. Subaki has Quick Riposte and that would probably be pretty gross since Armads is QR on a stick.

She'd have to lose Wary Fighter to equip a different B skill. Until we know more about the system it's hard to say what would serve her best but I'd guess that Threaten Defense/Attack in her C slot would improve her the most. Obviously some kind of proc skill would also be a straight upgrade but we don't know if that will be possible.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Oh right, I forgot she had Wary Fighter in B. Still, QR could arguably be better on offense if you set her up to murder idiots correctly.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So it turns out my Hector is -Res +HP.

Any matchups that changes?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

So it turns out my Hector is -Res +HP.

Any matchups that changes?

No.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Can't wait to equip Ephraim with a brand new passive that actually stacks with his other passives

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I think the game is just fuckin with me at this point and matching me in the arena to fights I have to lose, I just got three blues and a Takumi. My green is Camilla.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

cpaf posted:

Can't wait to equip Ephraim with a brand new passive that actually stacks with his other passives

I can't wait to melt down an effie to make him effie 2.move.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I think the game is just fuckin with me at this point and matching me in the arena to fights I have to lose, I just got three blues and a Takumi. My green is Camilla.

Bait Takumi out, kill him and have Camilla go to town?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Andrast posted:

Bait Takumi out, kill him and have Camilla go to town?

Lol not on the fuckin maps I got, can't bait Takumi on the breakable wall bullshit.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I wish I knew about skill inheritance before I burned away a bunch of bronzies and a few silvers for feathers. This was before the announcement. The thirst for 20k feathers for real.

inheriting powerful skills is probably going to require an rear end load of feathers anyways.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Lord Ephraim posted:

I wish I knew about skill inheritance before I burned away a bunch of bronzies and a few silvers for feathers. This was before the announcement. The thirst for 20k feathers for real.

inheriting powerful skills is probably going to require an rear end load of feathers anyways.
I betcha the 4*/5* skills are the only ones worth a drat anyway.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Although nobody really knows anything about skill inheritance, I have a feeling the movement/utility assists are going to be the biggest grabs if they can be transferred. No worries about 5* scaling since they are generally unlocked at 3* and they are situationally awesome.

Inheriting a skill "tree" from a 3* that you can unlock with SP up to the 5* equivalent seems extremely generous, while having to merge 5*s to get the 5* skill unlocks seems prohibitively expensive. I'm guessing it's going to be the prohibitively expensive option

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I think so as well. Although it would be nice for F2P players to give one of their few 5* characters a good "skill tree" from one of the daily freebie 2* characters, I reckon a character will have to already know the skill. Otherwise, you're in a situation where I could send 2 characters off to the feather factory and abracadabra my now 3* Lissa or Stahl has just given my 5* Hector Renewal 3 or Obstruct 3 for next to nothing, which I could afford immediately because my Hector is sitting on hundreds of unused SP.

I mean, selfishly, I loving hope this is the case because it's going to make min-maxing/using different skillcombinations much easier and much more fun, but I'm going to assume they're going for the dosh option.

Also, I'm really glad I didn't send Beruka off to the feather factory because, as you said, her 3* movement skill is Lunge, which could be DEVASTATING on Takumi.

Roger Explosion fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 25, 2017

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
I thought about the skill inheritance needing an open slot in regards to the dragons. Sheena's Svalinn Shield is an A slot skill and would go really well on Young and Adult Tiki as well as Nowi. None of them have a free A slot. FCorrin has a free A slot, but options like Death's Blow, Darting Blow, and +Spd are just as good or better. Fae is still weak to swords regardless of Falchion.

If inheritance does require a free slot, they were pretty careful about the skill placements. At least for the dragons.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I hope skill inheritance doesn't need an open slot. It would be much more fun to just have two skills for the same slot and switch between them. You can already do this for healers. It's also even better now that doing so doesn't cost stamina.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one who thinks that Inheritance = passing down skills to offspring? I hope we get the offspring

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Am I imagining things, or are enemies in the trading tower suiciding on the strongest units they can when they know they're screwed? Stop wasting EXP you spiteful fucks! :argh:

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
+spd -def peri. of all the units to have that on..like she needs to be any more squishy

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Personally, I love my +SPD -RES Able. Helps him fight against other blues.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Raigh sucks rear end. Yeah, like Cavalry are such a problem.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Lube banjo posted:

+spd -def peri. of all the units to have that on..like she needs to be any more squishy
I pulled a -def +res Peri. Honestly, she's squishy regardless of her IVs. She's no tank so don't treat her as one. I got one that's going to be a mage-killer and you got one that will double more. Frankly, I'd rather have yours. No matter, I've Shoved mine within range of swordlords/Tharja and Glimmer'd them in the face from halfway across a map, and it's a thing of loving beauty.

It's a pity her voice is So. loving. Cringe.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
If only everybody could sound as high as Setsuna.
"Fun tiiiiimes... Gooood ones tooo!"

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
This is the first mobile game I've ever enjoyed (probably because I'm a sucker for Fire Emblem; goddammit Nintendo, make a mobile Advance Wars if you're not going to make a real one).

I do have a few questions about it, though, which I hope my fellow goons can answer:

1.) What's the difference between badges and grand badges in terms of what they do? How do you get the latter?

2.) I got a four-star male Robin yesterday and started leveling him. He has had the most insanely godawful levels and he's up to level 12. I read somewhere that stat growth isn't actually random in this game and that every unit of the same type and star level will end up with literally identical final stats. Is that true?

3.) Is it even possible to get to 20k feathers yet? I'd love to boost my four-star Effie (and Robin, if he isn't actually RNG-hosed), but holy poo poo this will take forever.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Grand badges are required for the 4-5* promotion. They're obtained from the higher stratums in the tower.

Units have what are similar to pokemon natures in that they can have one bonus and one negative stat (or can be neutral). But ya aside from those all copies are identical. It's a fairly minor difference but can change some matchups if you're worried about min/max.

I'm up to about 34000 feathers total so far. It's definitely attainable. I've sent a bunch of units home (although that doesn't add up to much) and I've been successful in the arena since day 1 though.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
1. The mini-badges upgrade one, two and three star heroes. The grand badges upgrade four star heroes to five star heroes.

2. Yes. Characters do have Individual Values of a sort. Take what I just posted: Lube banjo and I both have a Peri with a negative defense attribute, but mine has positive resistance and Lube's has positive speed. We will end up with different stats, but all +SPD/-DEF and +RES/-DEF Peris will have the same stats.

3. Yes. You can get feathers by getting a high score in the arena, greeting people on your friends list each day and by Sending Home characters you don't want. They also gave out 10k feathers for free a little while back. This works out better for whales because they can afford to send home more characters than F2P players though.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Interesting, thank you both! Sorry, I have a couple of follow-up questions:

1.) How can you tell what a unit's positive/negative attributes are before getting to level 40?

2.) Looking at the wiki's tier list (is that controversial/debated, or generally agreed upon?), male Robin is considered a great character. I've swapped him into my team to replace a four-star Setsuna, and at the same level, he has much worse stats across the board except attack. I've also lost her pseudo-healing ability. Why is he ranked so highly?

Edit: Got it. Thank you!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 25, 2017

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

surf rock posted:

Interesting, thank you both! Sorry, I have a couple of follow-up questions:

1.) How can you tell what a unit's positive/negative attributes are before getting to level 40?

2.) Looking at the wiki's tier list (is that controversial/debated, or generally agreed upon?), male Robin is considered a great character. I've swapped him into my team to replace a four-star Setsuna, and at the same level, he has much worse stats across the board except attack. I've also lost her pseudo-healing ability. Why is he ranked so highly?

There are IV lists online, but it only really works either at lv1 or lv40 cause the gains between levels are random even if the final result is not.

Robin has weapon effectiveness against colourless as well as against red, is a decentish physical tank and these two traits combine into a character who can absolute wreck Takumi, who himself is a very good unit who appears a lot in Arena. He also is pretty good v Red SwordLords who are also very common.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 25, 2017

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
That tier list has come a long way and I'd agree with it for the most part.

Still, I'd prioritize any 5* unit over even a high tier 4*, and maintaining a team comp that can handle various threats is more important as well.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Clarste posted:

Uh... to be honest that sounds like user error rather than unfair match-ups. What's the rest of your team and what do you usually lose to?

I wouldnt rule that out. Right now my team is usually Hector/Now/Lilina/Effie. Here is who I have:

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Shinji117 posted:

There are IV lists online, but it only really works either at lv1 or lv40 cause the gains between levels are random even if the final result is not.

you can kind-of figure it out for sure around level 37. Some stats might be low enough that they can't make it to the max/average, or are high enough to be over the low already

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I wouldnt rule that out. Right now my team is usually Hector/Now/Lilina/Effie. Here is who I have:

You might be facing the unique problem of having "too high stats for composition." Basically you're being matched up against teams with similar amounts of stat points, but since you lack a counter to specific champs you are losing to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

because i'm a loving idiot i 5-stared effie instead of nino. :negative: i have regrets