Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

jabby posted:

If it operates the same way as student loans the only effect it would have would be to prevent doctors that emigrate from ever coming back.

Eh, I imagine six figure sums are worth chasing more than student debt.

ronya posted:

he can saddle posting positions with big £££ bill, which is then waived if a service term is fulfilled - this is the typical way of things internationally, e.g.

This is a weak angle though, you wave the number in front of the average person and tell them it costs *this much* to be a doctor but in labourworld drs are just trained, you're going to see people go "well gently caress this is going to stop people being drs".

Obviously it only stops working class people being doctors, but given that the concept of class itself is now out of the class consciousness, I can't see many people going "oh phew, all our doctors will be called Tristam now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

croc suit posted:

Why do they need to be better? than what exactly, what the gently caress are you talking about.

If there's nothing inferior about non-white people, and you don't care about culture, why would you be at all concerned about ethnic demographic shift?

Also it's real freaky how many people in healthcare there are in this thread.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

croc suit posted:

I dont give a poo poo about "british culture"

Then why are you bringing up the increase in Britain's non-white population?

For the record, current projections show ethnic minorities going from 8% of the British population in 2001 to 20% in 2051. Even if those trends continue and there isn't a falloff along the line, it's extremely unlikely that Britain will be majority non-white within our lifetimes.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think the implication is that the young Muslim men are heartless and would leave the old whites to die because they don't have our morality

So a load of bollocks

croc suit
Nov 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jeza posted:

Well you're the one contesting that non-white immigration to the UK is threatening white people. And you don't think that culture is relevant, so in order for what you think to be coherent, you have to think that non-white people are inferior. Or you'd be happy that they were coming.

I'd be happy because... they're going to clean up my poo poo when im old????

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

Obviously it only stops working class people being doctors, but given that the concept of class itself is now out of the class consciousness, I can't see many people going "oh phew, all our doctors will be called Tristam now"

All doctors are working class.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

croc suit posted:

Im sure young muslim men love cleaning up old white peoples poo poo for 30 years

Do you believe that care workers only look after people of their own religion

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

The loving casual racism in lilly white areas of the UK is astonishing, I made the bad mistake of moving back to near where I grew up recently and there was a fatal accident on a moterway involving a lorry the other week and the first words out of one of my colleagues mouth on the situation (after learning the driver was dead) was 'oh, god, im not beeein funnee or or anythink but do you reckon hee spoke english?'

This implies she thinks he was what, to stupid to drive, cant read english signposts, on the run carrying cargo of forrins?

gently caress knows, she seems to be a nice woman otherwise, does my head in.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

a practice is capital though so clearly this isn't true

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Not if some of their income arises from things other than selling their labour for money, this isn't complicated

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

croc suit posted:

What are you babbling about?

Thesis: White British people are correct to worry about becoming a minority in their own country.

Supplementary: Culture is irrelevant

Supporting reasons to justify this view: [BLANK]

Help me out here.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Hang on wait, sorry. When you said this:

croc suit posted:

white people not wanting to become a minority in their own country is a bad thing

Were you being literal? Was this just an off the cuff statement that dumb olds who recoil at the sight of muslims is, in fact, bad?

I mean if so, yes, but, :confused:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Has Pissflaps said why his av is now the guy who was racist to Jamie Foxx yet?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

croc suit posted:

I'm not even sure that your argument is anymore

croc suit
Nov 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Seaside Loafer posted:

The loving casual racism in lilly white areas of the UK is astonishing, I made the bad mistake of moving back to near where I grew up recently and there was a fatal accident on a moterway involving a lorry the other week and the first words out of one of my colleagues mouth on the situation (after learning the driver was dead) was 'oh, god, im not beeein funnee or or anythink but do you reckon hee spoke english?'

This implies she thinks he was what, to stupid to drive, cant read english signposts, on the run carrying cargo of forrins?

gently caress knows, she seems to be a nice woman otherwise, does my head in.

White people are bad by design, basically defective

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

This is some really boring and obvious trolling and way too many of you are falling for it

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Has Pissflaps said why his av is now the guy who was racist to Jamie Foxx yet?

Because he's a Tory and thus loves racism

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
what's funny is that Australia attempts to recover the costs of training by taxing incomes only once Aussie-trained graduates start earning

soooo Aussie graduates then politely leave for England, where they will not be liable for any Australian income tax

the problem of forcing one's own recipients of investment to actually cough up the investment returns domestically is a mutual one, hence:

quote:

[Australian] Education Minister Christopher Pyne said he had started discussions with his British equivalent about a new tax treaty which would allow each country to recoup outstanding student loans from their citizens living overseas.

Mr Pyne said most outstanding student loans - once called HECS but now known as HELP debts - were to graduates now overseas.

In turn, the majority of them lived in the UK, where many had high-paying jobs, above the threshold where they should repay their loans.

“The vast majority of those would have an undergraduate degree and they are moving to the UK to work in high-paid jobs usually and they’re not paying their HELP debt. So we want to get their HELP debt back,’’ Mr Pyne said.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

croc suit posted:

White people are bad by design, basically defective

Agreed.

Namtab posted:

Because he's a Tory and thus loves racism

I mean yeah but I'm wondering if there was an inciting incident. I mean a recent one.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

TheRat posted:

This is some really boring and obvious trolling and way too many of you are falling for it

Shh, this is more fun than yet another Corbyn debate

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ronya posted:

what's funny is that Australia attempts to recover the costs of training by taxing incomes only once Aussie-trained graduates start earning

soooo Aussie graduates then politely leave for England, where they will not be liable for any Australian income tax

the problem of forcing one's own recipients of investment to actually cough up the investment returns domestically is a mutual one, hence:

Seems like we're going to have less Aussie doctors soon

croc suit
Nov 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TheRat posted:

:goonsay:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Spangly A posted:

This is a weak angle though, you wave the number in front of the average person and tell them it costs *this much* to be a doctor but in labourworld drs are just trained, you're going to see people go "well gently caress this is going to stop people being drs".

equally obviously, the expectation is that the fee will not actually be paid via a buy-out unless you're a truly rich wanker who gets bored in second year of foundation placement

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Forced service owns and I'm glad you want new doctors to be indentured slaves to the nhs

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

croc suit posted:

More generally keep you alive and allow you to retire at some point yeah.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

ronya posted:

equally obviously, the expectation is that the fee will not actually be paid via a buy-out unless you're a truly rich wanker who gets bored in second year of foundation placement

Take out your PPE hat and ask yourself what happens if a political figure yells that they're charging you six figures to become a doctor and the answer is "yes, but" or an obvious attempt to avoid saying "yes, but".

I'm not going to pay my student loan either and that nearly wiped the lib dems off the map.

E; actually that's unfair. I'd make full efforts to repay under a left wing government. This may be the same sentiment, though.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

ronya posted:

A far bigger problem with this plan is that it removes what little incentive there currently is for the NHS to pay and treat doctors well. If everyone coming through is going to be forced to work for you then why not pay them two pounds an hour for the first five years of their career like it's an apprenticeship?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Namtab posted:

Forced service owns and I'm glad you want new doctors to be indentured slaves to the nhs

What happens to foreign-born UK-educated doctors who get considered unfit to practise? Seeing as they can't physically stay in the UK for visa reasons.

Or is it just, lol they shouldn't have had something like that happen to them, bad apples it's their fault.

Like it happens because of mental illness and stuff.

croc suit
Nov 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Based on the posts by the regulars in this thread its more likely ill be paying for your retirements and healthcare lol

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Arguing with the racist is a step up from arguing with flaps.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

croc suit posted:

Based on the posts by the regulars in this thread its more likely ill be paying for your retirements and healthcare lol

Lol it must be depressing to live in a world where "government does its job" seems like madness

are you dead yet

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

croc suit posted:

Because you're actually as old as the quality of your posting suggests?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

croc suit posted:

Why aren't you funny?

croc suit
Nov 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Spangly A posted:

Lol it must be depressing to live in a world where "government does its job" seems like madness

are you dead yet

you first

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't think under thirteens are allowed on this forum, kid.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Private Speech posted:

What happens to foreign-born UK-educated doctors who get considered unfit to practise? Seeing as they can't physically stay in the UK for visa reasons.

Or is it just, lol they shouldn't have had something like that happen to them, bad apples it's their fault.

Like it happens because of mental illness and stuff.

I don't know. I hope its something fair, but I don't know. I also don't have the answer to the same question about nurses

croc suit
Nov 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
this is fine.jpg except the flames are niggers

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Spangly A posted:

Take out your PPE hat and ask yourself what happens if a political figure yells that they're charging you six figures to become a doctor and the answer is "yes, but" or an obvious attempt to avoid saying "yes, but".

I'm not going to pay my student loan either and that nearly wiped the lib dems off the map.

E; actually that's unfair. I'd make full efforts to repay under a left wing government. This may be the same sentiment, though.

I recall a lot of pundits confidently prognosticating sticker shock in the 1990s too, and yet tuition fees and student loans are still here, and it is still conventional wisdom that they increase rather than decrease cohort intakes

Britain at large is not especially stunned by the notion of loans and debt, this is not a developing or petrostate country where vast majority of the population don't expect to ever sign a loan they can't immediately repay

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice

croc suit posted:

Despite inventing modern medicine white people are apparently incapable of being trained to perform it
no, just simpletons like you that feel the need to try to fill the yawning void in their life with the achievements of others on no other basis than "but their skin looks like mine!!!! I'm just as good!!!!" :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

lol

• Locked thread